The Bouncer (2018) Poster

(2018)

Van Damme the betrayer
searchanddestroy-122 August 2018
I was at first deceived, disappointed by such a predictable scheme, already seen dozens of times before. See for yourself, a lost man,a bouncer, father of a Young girl, aone to raise her who is framed up to undercover a counterfeit money ring in Belgium. Really nothing exceptional here. Van Damme is OK, excellent in this so downbeat role; it suit to him like a glove. But the last minutes save the film, with the exception of the very ending, totally unbelievable. I won't spoil any further. The betrayal portrait of Van Damme to the lead bad guy who trusts him is a good surprise. A good violent and downbeat grade B film noir.
16 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad, if you're not expecting high octane action
Wizard-822 October 2019
As I indicated in my summary line, those who sit down to watch this movie expecting the flashy and action-packed tone that was in Jean-Claude Van Damme movies of the past will probably be disappointed with this movie. There isn't that much action on display here, and it's not depicted with great intensity or excitement. But I was kind of expecting that, seeing that Van Damme is getting on in years, and also because the movie was a European production and not a Hollywood production. And I did find the movie had enough merit to make me glad I picked it up from my local library. The action may not be high energy, but what action there is is interesting to watch, because it's choreographed and directed in a manner that seems much more realistic than usual. You do sense genuine struggle, and feel the coldness when someone is injured or killed. Some of the action is also directed with long Steadicam shots that adds novelty and interest. Script-wise, I admit the movie is nothing too special, seeing that the story unfolds in a familiar manner, including the so-called "surprise twist" near the end. But the movie does move along fairly briskly, and isn't boring despite the general predictability. Van Damme and the other actors do give solid performances. And while a somewhat low budget production, the movie's production values look fairly solid from the cinematography to the locations. If you don't mind the lack of swift-paced and frequent action, and want to see this general formula done with a European flair, give this movie a try.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Van Damme is Good in Slow-Burner
lavatch12 March 2019
Although he was too old for the part, Jean-Claude Van Damme was effective as the granite-faced character Lukas, a nightclub bouncer with a checkered past. The film is a by-the-numbers action picture with the brooding widower Lukas struggling to take care of his daughter. Lukas gets linked up with a dangerous forgery operation. In effect, he is blackmailed by a dirty police officer to feed inside information about a large-scale operation of printing fake money.

The most interesting character beyond Lukas is Lisa Zaccherini, who is an expert forger needed for the print run of the money. Lisa's past is fuzzy, but it is clear that she is another victim in being forced to engage in the counterfeiting.

The moody atmosphere and slowpacing are drawbacks in this standard thriller set in Belgium. Van Damme's character Lukas is described as "a survivor who is able to adapt to anything." It is unfortunate that there was not a more creative ending that tied together the loose ends of the counterfeiting scheme, the police sting, and the ultimate fate of Lukas and his daughter.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good
ops-525354 December 2018
This is a french/belgian made film with jcvd, a good film,and surprisingly the slowest actionthriller ive seen with jean claude van damme. the story are shallow and not well told,but the acting are overall good and the tension are present all the way through.some editing glitches there are but the great variations of locations makes up for that. van danne has never been a favourite,so im happy to see an aging more edible version of the martial art guy. recommended.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For Fans
Tweetienator28 December 2018
If you like Van Damme, this is a nice flick for you. Like his fellow "warriors" Schwarzenegger and Stallone he shows that he can actually do more than just fist- and gunfights. Well aged, so to say.

Lukas is no new Bloodsport or Lionheart and the story really provides nothing new but good acting and a good production make Lukas very entertaining with a good shot of nostalgia - recommended, if you like to watch a new Van Damme.
21 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
RAW,GRIM,GRITTY & DARK!!! PROBABLY VAN DAMME'S BEST PERFORMANCE.
lukem-5276025 June 2019
The Bouncer is an extremely grim & gloomy dark tale of a single father who works nights at sleazy clubs as a bouncer,but can't wait to get home to see his daughter.

This is a very dark story,realism is splashed all over this Drama/Thriller & van damme gives probably his greatest performance of his career!!! I like most grew up watching his 80's & 90's action films & have always been a huge fan of his as i am of Schwarzenegger & Stallone, so IT'S really nice to see van damme in a way long overdue "Good movie" even though it's another straight to dvd B-movie it's made with depth & character.

Van damme play's Lucas as a very lost & damaged man who only lives for his daughter. The music is sometimes sad & dreary, it suits the gritty & grim tone perfectly as does the cinematography that captures the depressing surroundings.

A fantastic performance from van damme & a good solid gritty & violent story,just the ending ruined it abit for me but this is a way better than most direct to dvd films & a million times better than nearly all of steven seagal's dvd flicks.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
sombre crime movie
myriamlenys4 May 2019
"Lukas" is well worth a watch, mainly because of its fine performance by Jean-Claude Van Damme. This is not the kind of sentence you're going to read a lot when browsing through imdb but : good work deserves laurels. Here he does very well as an aging man battered by fate who's struggling to keep afloat in a vicious and imperfect world.

Van Damme, by the way, is still in excellent physical shape, as proven by a number of well-choreographed fights and stunts.

The movie has a number of other assets too, but sadly it is not without its inconsistencies and plot holes. For instance : try to imagine, dear reader, that you are a ruthless gangster and that you are looking for a reliable helper. You meet a man who looks a suitable candidate - he's tough, he's silent, he's obedient, he needs money - but you want to make sure he's going to remain faithful and do exactly as you tell him. So what do you do ? I'd suggest : pay him well, give him a nice bonus here and there, flatter his ego, indulge his vices, introduce him slowly (VERY slowly) into a world of ever deeper crime. However, kidnapping his only, much beloved daughter and holding her hostage seems completely bonkers - the man might very well explode into an ultra-violet rage and shoot a few bullets through your brains, or through the brains of your accomplices. Or he might just pretend to go along for a few weeks, while plotting a retribution worthy of Shakespeare at his darkest...

Still, we've all got our own theories on how to motivate employees.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad, but not good enough either
MovieIQTest16 December 2018
But at least it's a serious movie with passable screenplay. JCVD just looked so pathetically old and tired, almost without energy at all. This movie somehow impressed me with limited budget and cast, but still could deliver to us a not so bad movie. JCVD's cast is so pathetic as a down and out miserable unlucky guy who could not even make a living.

When you looked back to the recent years of what JCVD did, those movies were actually quite serious and even with deep and profound meaning of life. If you looked at what Steven Seagal did these years, nothing but garbage, rating from 1 star to 4 stars, they were all junk and crap! Seagal almost became one the brand names of bad B movie and officially certified always with bad screenplays, lousy cast, formulaic predictable unwatchable productions, while JCVD's movies were all over 6 stars, even as high as to 9 stars. There's huge difference between these two actors.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bouncer Van Damme !!!
saptesh7862 April 2019
The Bouncer starrer Van Damme is a good thriller. Van Damme is looking here as usual in his previous movies. Here he earns his bread by working as bouncer at club. He has a cute daughter. Accidently he loses his first job and offered same job at another club. But there he has to work as undercover informer to police. Rest of drama is worth to watch till the end. However the climax is not so as bravery as Van Damme's usual action packed movies. So movie loses its impact totally. Otherwise it has a good start and very interesting story. Just watchable once. 7 stars are okay as me. If you are fan of Van Damme then you can afford to see otherwise you will not enjoy it much.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You probably see this movie before but don't let that stop you
phanthinga26 April 2019
Lukas (2018) is one of the latest movies by Jean Claude Van Damme that I find tolerable and decent enough to add to your Van Damme collection. That being said as a fan I'm happy that he finally choose more movie with role that fit his physical condition and age nowadays because after Black Water I don't think I ever want to see him in another over the top 80s-like action movie. The movie got a slick direction and heavy on the drama and characters than the action so for people who want to see Van Damme kicks-ass it maybe a big disappointment but if you like the" Middle-aged man fighting his way out of trouble" story then you gonna enjoy this one.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring... try to be a drama but lack dramatic moments
destroyerwod7 December 2018
I see every Van Damme movies close to there release because i always been fan of the guy since i was a kid. I am from Quebec so the french/english switches during the movie didn't bother me at all, altough at times some accents are very pronounced.

I will be honest, i didn't had a lot of fun. First of all for a movie originally called "The Bouncer" , there is almost no fights in it. If you came to see Van Damme spin kick somebody, turn around cause you won't find it there. There is a couple very lackluster gun fights but nothing to entertain you much in the action departement.

The movie try to be a drama and more about its plot, but i didn't find much satisfaction there either. It looks very low budget/low scale, i didn't care much about the characters and what happen to them. I would like to say i apreciate Van Damme taking a "different role" trying to pull off a "dramatic performance" but it does not comes out like that, but more like just another brooding dark character like we seen him do many times, in Black Water, Kill em All, 6 Bullets, Pound of Flesh and many more.

To be honest i much prefer Van Damme in lighter roles. In recent memories i enjoyed Welcome to the Jungle and Ennemies Closer because he seem to have fun in those roles.

Lets just say Lukas won't make it to my Van Damme DVD collection unless i stumble upon it for 2/3$ in a pawnshop or video store clearance.

I really hope to see Van Damme in a full action packed movie in 2019, having fun and all. Even if its over the top. Cause thats the roles i prefer for him.
15 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good
danielcereto14 November 2020
Solid performance from Van Damme. Probably the best on his career. Raw and cruel movie with a human touch thanks to the great Van Damme.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
really great different style van damme film great acting performance since JCVD
nikola1731 March 2019
This is a lot different style of van damme career European France crime film It is a film noir, cheerless and violent., i enjoyed movie i really did it's different style of movie it's not action i know it because it's not hard target, double impact, bloodsport, kickboxer, universal soldier i know it's not action it's more like crime drama film that van damme acts so great in this movie i wish their could been for van damme character is emotion even anger and rage and crying would've been appreciated, action that you've seen done better in other Van Damme dramatic work like Wake of Death, In Hell & JCVD...and while there are some nice looking shots in this movie i love peace of score of music is great. what about putting that idea in this flick it would been better in this movie he is bit too quiet a bit, their is emotions but not as much like wake of death. i wish van damme character could made van damme daughter make her laugh say silly jokes, when his daughter is taken put more of emotion anger scene. but this is different style something i never seen something like this before i mean JCVD is drama but that's something van damme should won award Oscar for that movie. Assassination games is really nothing interesting but only thing is van damme and Adkins and Marija Karan that's it really. but this is better then Assassination Games, but van damme his last ones he made i don't mind at all with Kickboxer remakes and kill em all,Enemies Closer his last one i liked but he made UFO, Swelter, Pound of Flesh were really bad after Kickboxer remakes, Kill em all, Black water, then this is good i reckon that's his better

history of movies he did then last time. the story follows (Jean Claude Van Damme) plays Lukas he is working as bouncer who is struggling through life to nurture his eight-year-old daughter, working in nightclubs as a doorkeeper to provide his income. he is having trouble paying school up he doesn't enough money he is living in apartment with his only daughter, one night he was working to kick out drunk guy gets involved in a fight, but he died he tripped over fell died. so then Lukas goes jail and does favor to police now their is twist later on film to find out why. while his daughter gets placed under the care of social services. When someone dies while he's on duty, he gets fired...which leads to a new job as well as being asked by the police to infiltrate a criminal organization. In return, the cops will not arrest him thus keeping him away from his daughter. there's beautiful actress (Sveva Alvit) known for Dalida, Dangerous Lies Vol. 1 who plays Lisa Zaccherini a girl from crime boss (Sami Bouajila) Maxim Zeroual main villain. that Lukas just brings her back to hotel all time but she does become a interesting character afterwards. i love music score this movie keeps you watching and until it ends. but i wished it could of add a lot of things It's just...not much of anything happens. And there's not much of Any Emotion in the entire film. Like I said, even some moments of rage or anger or anything

else would have/should have been done. JCVD is known for his action movies where hes defeating his opponents and villains with ease which is amusing and fun to watch but almost hard to imagine in reality but in this movie his acting comes first. He is really good and story is maybe cheap but ending is makes it special. Movie is pretty much dark when we talk about story line but what is the more important that it does not include unreal action scenes or plot holes. and their is fight scene but not in a action way in realistic way like most toughest scene ever is who ever wins fight gets job i am like wow that's so intense that would be so hard for everyone else fights each another to get job but it's only van damme who got job. that's when in a strip club that turns out to be run by a Flemish criminal. Cops take him in about the accident at his previous job, and force him to spy on his new boss. Stuck between a vicious criminal and an asshole blackmailing agent, Lukas is forced to get himself into some risky situations to be able to keep his little girl and provide for her. and It is not cheap movie at all. it's a limited release film not direct to DVD film at all i think this movie is worth for people to watch it's not action film it's crime drama film with action start got involved in a different film, give it ago it's worth watching really running time is not that long 1h 34min it's really fast on going pacing. title is Bouncer known for Lukas.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WOW this was a great movie!
Brooklynsmagicmike1 June 2020
This movie has to be one of best hidden gems I've ever found. It wasn't heavily marketed, nor is it avaliable on alot streaming services, but I happen to stumble upon it on IMDB as one there recently added free with ads movie.

First off I'd like to say and I hope old school damme fans dont kill me for this. But this in my opinion was easily one of his best movies he ever made. Heck only reason why I wont give 10 stars is because it does take bit to build up but trust me its worth it.

Keep in mind this isn't one of his beat em up martial arts movies. While it does have fair shake of action its very realistic and gritty. The acting on all ends is very well done and visuals are gorgeous. This movie at the end also has a great twist/turn that I would never saw coming from mile away.

Overall def recommend this movie to fans or non fans of his as it was that great!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bravo
bastos7 October 2020
Sometimes I can't understand IMDB ratings. How this movie has a 5.9 (by the time of writing) and mostly 7 and up reviews baffles me. I can understand the other way around with studios messing with the ratings, but this? This is a genuinely good movie, very well directed, with some standout fight scenes and a very solid acting job by JCVD himself. Granted, the story is a bit cliched, but the execution is so good that you can forgive some lack of originality in the screenplay. This is a very dry, raw and intense watching experience and I am always rooting for a return to form from the Muscles from Brussels, and it seems that from time to time he gets out of STV hell to deliver a solid action movie. This is one of those times. Bravo.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The comeback of Jean-Claude Van Damme ??
homecoming828 April 2019
"The Bouncer" aka "Lukas" is a French/Belgium co-production starring Jean-Claude Van Damme. It's a breath of fresh air for Van Damme who's in top form here. Not your typical action film (fans who expect another "Bloodsport" or "Lionheart" will be disappointed) but a gripping and dark crime drama with real characters and some hard-hitting action scenes.

"Lionheart" and "JCVD" were acting wise one of the stronger Van Damme films but "The Bouncer" is possibly his best performance yet. He IS Lukas, the role fits him perfectly. That also goes for the entire cast and also the production values like the camera work and music are top notch.

After last years' awful "Black Water" Van Damme is finally back. He's too old to play the hero martial arts star from the past. He knows that and sometimes even makes fun of that in mildly entertaining films like "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Enemies Closer" and recently in his hilarious series "Jean-Claude Van Johnson" ( a must-see for any Van Damme fan)

With "The Bouncer" he's achieved something Steven Seagal hasn't been able to do yet: to make a strong comeback.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good, but also very sad and depressing.
krzysiektom26 September 2021
A solid, serious thriller, or rather noir. Bleak, uncompromising, the characters are doomed to fail from the start. Spoiler: the ending is sad and depressing. Well directed, written and acted.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
tres forgetful
talllwoood132 September 2021
There are far better JCVD movies out there. Some of the only highlights are the scenes around the night club as they can be very vibrant and colorful with lots of dual exposure shots. The first fight scene in particular when JCVD gets the new job is really well paced and realistic similar to anyone who has seen the Korean version of Old Boy (2003) before Spike Lee ruined it in the American version of it.

There isn't much to say about this one. JCVD is in a bar as a bouncer and he accidentally kills a guy, he needs the money and someone hooks him up with a job. Of course the other bar owner is ruthless making a bunch of people fight for the position literally. Then he gets more and more involved in organized crime and the police threaten to get him arrested for the murder of the man in the bar as JCVD has a very cloudy identity where everyone just knows him as Lukas. Throughout it all either the subtitles were really poorly translated or the script was just awful but JCVD just blindly follows everyone without questioning them. He does all of this for his daughter. The ending they try to have a twist and it's "meh" at best. Though the last scene worked well without ruining it. The character can be believable to a certain extend but has almost no personality or back bone.

Besides the uninspired story, the almost non-existent music score which can add the right feel to the movie it was just like going with a friend or loved one to somewhere you have absolutely no interest in and just go along with whatever. Maybe if the movie was better paced. They made certain parts of the plot more significant it may have helped. JCVD fit the role, but the script or story is so bland and mediocre. Anyone who has seen his movie Wake Of Death I wish the director made our hero be more like that as JCVD can act and I feel there are parts with the role the director or person who wrote the script could have done a better job to make us care more.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Double the Acting, Double the Van Dammage
Phil_M_A_Kerr12 February 2021
JCVD's bouncer-with-a-past seeks a simpler life. He avoids using his fists to stay out of trouble but fate (and the script) has other plans. Trust is hard to forge, perhaps moreso in the criminal underworld. This story shows us why. It's a self-contained, modest-budget, neo noir with a brutal edge and a little heart. High kicks are exchanged for high art.
Lukas. (2018)
AlexanderFitzmeyer21 September 2020
Exciting drama with a routine story, in which a convincing acting Jean Claude van Damme gives his character profile. "The Bouncer" is always very close to its protagonist, which is mainly thanks to the excellent camera work and gives insights into the various milieus.

8.0
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad at all,but nothing really exeptional to give more than 5 stars)
aramt-079353 May 2019
Not bad at all,but nothing really exeptional to give more than 5 stars) I liked Van Damme,at least when he was young,even stupid movies were entertaining, because of action...now he is too old and he is not such a good actor to pull off dramatic movies...just stuck with one gloomy facial expression for all movie) One use movie.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Noir Van Damme
aleksandarsarkic6 August 2019
Jean Claude Van Damme is one of the heroes of my youth. I admit that most of the movies he appeared are ridiculous trash but still this kind of movies st help me to relax after hard day at the office. I am so glad to see that muscles from Brussels is still appearing and now i want more to discover his newer movies. The Bouncer is one of the latest and it is filmed and set in his native Brussels and Belgium. Probably i decided to watch it because i was recently in Brussels and i was amazed by this city. The movie left me really positively suprised it is good crime thriller with touch of neo noir atmosphere and what is most important Jean Claude really developed his acting abillities. He put really 100 % of himself in the role of bouncer Lucas and the story is really touching, realistic and dark, real European movie with nothing of the spectacle from Hollywood. Supporting cast is also fantastic, my favorite was definetely Sam Louwyck in a role of Flemish crime boss Jan Dekkers. I really recommend this movie to all lovers of European cinema, Jean Claude Van Damme and good crime movies, also i recently watched his newest movie We Die Young, it is okay but The Bouncer is maybe one of the best in his career
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dull and boring. Nothing worth watching.
tylerrosin16 August 2021
It was a very disappointing and dull movie. The plot was interesting but the script, pacing and overall look and feel was a misfire. Pass on this one.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor screenplay, JVCD goes through the motions
imdb2-56 January 2019
The Bouncer / Lukas is the story of the titular character who is a 50-something bouncer at a club. He lives with his young daughter. One night at the club some arrogant patron dies accidentally after being interrogated in a private room by JVCD with no one to see. The patron falls on the floor after tripping and may have hit a stair and then - in less than 2 seconds - there is a pool of blood forming around the man, shot to the face of JVCD wincing... and the rest of the audience since it is so poorly executed.

In order to rush the story along, there is confusion about him being fired from the club, supposedly police looking into it and him, etc. He is then confronted by some guy who supposedly takes care of important problems in Europe (but you aren't told exactly what that means.) He wants JVCD to work for him to infiltrate a counterfeiting ring. That's where being a bouncer ends and now he is a bodyguard.

The film itself has decent production values. But the script isn't credible at all, leaps logic in a number of places and just doesn't feel right at all. Without giving away the film, you have to wonder why Lukas, a guy who trusts no one, suddenly places a ridiculous amount of trust at certain times when it makes absolutely no sense other than for the absurdly obvious to happen to push the film along to the next plot line.

My guess is that the idea is to get the audience to play into the big reveal. The problem is that it's so poorly set up that it's more of a bad cheat than a reveal.

JVCD isn't doing as much fighting in this film as prior, just a couple of scenes to get you to think he's still tough. The other characters are pure cardboard cutout and you don't know much about them and just there to serve up another drama. JVCD is fine but the film is unfortunately a total waste of time.
6 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
what the heck?!
popcolin21 September 2019
This movie is neither here nor there. Literally about 3 action scenes. And for a movie that is about raising a daughter, also she is in only about 3 scenes. Honestly not sure how it filled up a whole movie. There was a lot of scenes with a police officer forcing Lukas (JCVD) to spy for him. Hmm...other than that I guess JCVD shuffling around purposely looking all puffy, sad, and old. Only a few good moments, like the first encounter in the club where the guy falls and hits his head. That was a nice intense scene that set the stage for a MOVIE!! And what happens, the police get involved in the movie and make it all about them!? What the heck?! I wanted JCVD going crazy kicking serious ass but instead it's like he asks for permission, "excuse me officer, may I punch him now?" Crazy. Writing the review I started with a 3/10 review but realizing all the wasted potential for some seriously intimidating action relinquished for, I dunno, a shuffle of the feet, I guess...2/10. Really dissapointing
2 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.