In the Dark (TV Series 2019– ) Poster

(2019– )

Lots of potential
chetmax6 April 2019
This show has a lot of potential. The character development is starting out well. After the first episode I want to know what happened and look forward the journey with these people. I don't understand the bad reviews. It's a crime story with a different twist. Try it.
22 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
such hate
MiketheWhistle5 April 2019
Guess what, disabled people are just like everyone else. The have casual sex, drink, smoke, have messed up lives. The people saying how badly it portrays blind/disabled people, watch Daredevil. And who can't love a show with a dog???
39 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Looking forward to more episodes!
Sarahmeakin6 April 2019
I thought the pilot was inspiring to be given a chance...I like the main character very much, which usually doesn't happen for me in the pilot most times. I have to search way more than I did for this one. I've already become attached to her and the supporting characters. And, I appreciate the no nonsense approach to people with special needs as well as other marginalized demographics. I saw authentic and good expression of humanity and love. I'll be watching this series.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm intrigued and want to see more
belicia8086 April 2019
I think this show has lots of potential. As others have said it is going a different route, it's dark and twisty. I am also glad it's not another typical teen drama and it's a refreshing change from superheroes. I hope the story line continues to develop and that I get to see more.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Potential!
tragantaba6 April 2019
Yes, she is a mess! She is not perfect! She doesn't represent the "ideal" female role. But she is human, as such, she is not perfect. This show has a lot of potential, hopefully it won't get lost in the middle of all this PC BS!!!
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great new show
longislandgirl-744256 April 2019
Just watched the pilot , funny held my interest great characters! Cant wait to watch the next episode!
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly great.
fahmida-querida5 April 2019
Really like this so far. Main character is likeable and it has an original plotline. Nothing like what you'd expect from CW but I like the refreshingly different outlook. Didn't have to skip any parts which I normally do when a show isn't that great. Deffo recommend checking this out!
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Only saw the Pilot so far
lvvvlylisa5 April 2019
Good Lord! What idiot would think that this depicts ALL blind people as alcoholics, desperate and willing to crawl into bed with anyone? Ugh. In the same vein, I guess Elementary depicts ALL private detectives as narcissists, users of women and yes...alcoholics.

I like the first show so far. I like the star. Love the dog (even if we don't know yet if the dog is neurotic). I thought the pilot was great.
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good start - hope it follows through
trademarcdesigns5 April 2019
I was expecting to hate this show - I wanted to hate it. I fought all my life to be treated as an equal, and then some idiot decides to portray a blind woman as a drunken, self-pitying mess who sleeps with married strangers and exploits her disability to cut the line at the drug store? Gee, thanks...

So I was very surprised to find I didn't hate it - not even a little. Let's start with the things this show does well - it's funny. Not laugh-out-loud funny - because we all know it's rude to laugh at the blind, right? - but quietly funny. Murphy's roommate (Brooke Markham) proves that a woman doesn't have to be tall and skinny to be beautiful. Kudos to Hollywood for finally accepting what the rest of us have known all along. I love the neurotic mom, whose entire identity is wrapped up in being the mother of a disabled child, because even though the non-disabled world may not realize it, that's a thing. And I love that we are finally seeing a blind person who is not a saint, a victim or a superhero.

I've only seen the first episode, so I don't know if Murphy's bereavement will be the catalyst that shocks her back into the real world, but I sure hope so because this could be a good show if it follows a young woman's journey from someone who is defined by her limitations to someone who can see beyond her limits.
17 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great potential
redandaris6 April 2019
Honest, it deserved more like 8 stars for me but I feel the need to compensate for those who unfairly judged this show. You can judge the actors' performance (great btw) or the plot (intriguing so far) but being that hateful because the heroine is blind yet still human and, as such, imperfect, is wrong. The show is great so far, I really felt for Murphy. She's a mess, she knows she's a mess and she tries to do better. It's not that easy of course. But she's also loving, very loyal and willing to change. The best thing people can do is admit their fault and try to work on themselves. I don't understand what's upsetting in this show. As a 32 year old woman, I feel well represented in Murphy because she's just a little lost and really, who isn't? It really doesn't matter that she's blind or not, it's about more than disability and those who speak about feminism and showing a "perfect woman" are probably those who don't understand this issue at all.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In the Dark is really quite brilliant!
LuvBren8056 April 2019
I was expecting something full of fluff - when in actuality it is not a fluffy depiction at all! I really enjoyed the character with all her quirks- I wont call them flaws because I was a twenty-something who drank alot and had my fair share of coyote ugly moments- I am really looking forward to seeing how this show continues through the season - and I am so happy that I gave it a view! Hope everyone gives it a chance to grow!
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's strength is that it shows weakness
Obkenoby5 April 2019
In the pilot, the main character is a drunk sex addict. It shows her as a real person and tries to delve into why she is rough and not willing to let others get close to her, including her roommate and family. Other reviewers get offended that they dare show her like this, as an addict. They say it's a bad representation of blind people. But she's not meant to be all blind people, she's meant to be her. Why does any disabled person on television have to be a shining example for all people with that disability? Answer: they don't. There are many blind people in the real world that aren't always polite and I'm sure most of them are tired of people asking why they're blind. The show goes to extremes trying to give viewers a glimpse into the life of a blind person without sugar coating it with a world of encouragement and trying so hard. It starts off well letting you know the blind character is a real person and not just included in the show for the sake of inclusion. It lets you know the character sees herself as excluded. The start of the series has a lot of potential specifically because it shows people aren't all perfect, that being blind isn't the only flaw blind people can have, and it shows a desire for change. That's the start of a good story. Identify how things actually are, identify how the character wants to change and how they will try to change. No she's not the Wonder Woman of blind people, but she is not supposed to be either. This isn't a buddy-buddy sitcom, or a teen romance, it's a dark drama.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WOW! This is amazing!
GrammarMatters7 April 2019
This show is instantly among the very top shows I'll be looking forward to seeing again each week! I can't think of anything to criticize it about - except that it's SO REAL that a bunch of puritanical shallow morons give it 1 star because they hate the main character because she's not some perfect virginal holy innocent woman.

There is so much shallow, conventional stupid junk on TV. This is SO much better than the majority of what's filling the time slots.

I can't wait till the next episode!
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How Do Programs Like This Get Green Lit?
vaioroxio5 April 2019
I just don't get this program - the one dimensional story and characters - throw in an awkward blind person with a perchant for casual sex, alcohol and a chip on her shoulder - oh don't forget a lesbian flat mate - all boxes checked!! This is a painful watch - the dialogue is so contrived. Hard to believe rubbish like this get made and others like Counterpart get cancelled!! Approach with caution.....or just plain avoid!!
18 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark, Quirky and Compelling
cmwhalen2001-112 April 2019
Perry Mattfield is a superlative actress. The first episode left me feeling conflicted because the main character is surly, snarky, deliberately anti-social, alcoholic, promiscuous, BUT I think her behavior stems from her having very deep psychological trauma that is unresolved.

Every movie and TV show portrays a person who is disabled either as super human heroic or as helpless needing caretakers. This program is different because it portrays the character as multidimensional. Instead of a sanitized saintly disabled person with "special powers" or the "helpless sap who needs caretakers" she is living independently and YES she has character flaws.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A missed opportunity.
socrfan15 April 2019
After watching the pilot I came off of it feeling that the main character is mostly annoying. I chuckled at one line but all in all it felt way more uninteresting and depressing than entertaining. A wasted opportunity unfortunately. Unless the writing improves I don't see this show hanging around for the long haul.
13 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad
howell-4439219 April 2019
It's still early in the series but this show definitely has potential.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can't wait for next episode
cynthea_sabolich16 April 2019
This show has terrific writers who seem to understand the resentments of someone smothered by their parents and dealing with a life altering handicap.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not the best influence however fantastic show
fatso-4647416 April 2019
Okay so I have been watching this show for the past two weeks and I love most of the characters and it's funny and heartfelt However I personally think the lead Character is a bad influence she has multiple partners and is a drunk however if you do watch the show with children you can say be a jess instead of the main character
Decent start.
avalleybusiness13 April 2019
It's enjoyable to watch a show that doesn't try to give you everyone's backstory in the 1st episode. I can see this one going somewhere.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really like this show!
jordana95113 April 2019
At first I wasn't sure, she's a little over the top with the alcohol and sex but she's grown on me! Looking forward to how this season plays out!
Congrats Mama Bird
jonmccann5 April 2019
Absolutely nails this, it is woeful!

Maybe we all prey on our inabilities, just to get an edge, but we are now in a society where you should choose, accept and become better for natural talent, or just be lazy and work what little you have to your benefit....Sadly it seems the latter is now commonplace!

A disability is no longer an excuse, yes, you have a right to demand and expect respect, but you certainly do not have a right to expect special treatment unless the situation is called for.

It does seem to me that tv companies are focusing on the minority still, when it should have now realised, it is unacceptable and we are all equal, but I think that would give script writers in this day and age too much of a head ache...Maybe that is irony on my part and their disability should be addressed...But lazy TV will always win for most people (not prepared to write a review!).
11 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Writers are brain dead, this could have been so much more but nope
garda-land200008 April 2019
Welcome to your 2019 tropes, where you check all your boxes for PC and SJW, nothing feels real, everything feels forced, for some reason a character is defined by their sexuality, colour and gender which is downright disgusting, 90% of the TV-shows since 2018 are just trash and this one follows the same path.

Diversity of characters is great but lacking , you will always see white man being bashed even in this show, the dreaded white male which is also a detective needs to get some womansplaining because he does not understand.

Either way I will give it the 3 episode rule if it improve I will change my score but I doubt, it is just horrible and it just plays on women fantasies and their repressed fetishes.
3 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In The Dark
mama_bird5 April 2019
Should be pulled as it is an awful depiction of a woman that is blind. It does not help Women's role in life at all especially being blind! Making out they are quick to crawl into bed with anyone , they are alcoholic ,and desperate. Really are all Blind women depressed and alcoholic . what a disgrace ! Pull it !
10 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You'd think they'd learn
bsloughrin5 April 2019
Obviously it's Netflix and Hulu and the cost of cable that are destroying television. God forbid they should be introspective and imagine what constitutes something people want to watch, there sure ain't it.
5 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.