Sex Education (TV Series 2019– ) Poster

(2019– )

1,081 Reviews
Fantastic All Around!
cpbigalke18 January 2019
I am so surprised by this show! I'm a 38 year old dude who wouldn't even really consider watching a show like this. I just randomly clicked it because I was bored before going to bed. I typically watch documentaries and shows in the style of The Wire or Game of Thrones. Everything about this show is great! The vibrant acting, the story narrative, the gorgeous cinematography, the absolutely stunning location (Penarth, South Wales), the great characters, the relationships between characters, and Gillian Anderson! I'm also not a fan of sex being portrayed in films and tv because it's usually cringe-worthy, but this is fun and educational. It's like a coming of age film that's really fun but deals with important and complex subjects. I don't typically get hooked on shows but you got me Netflix! Cheers! Well done.
908 out of 999 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love everything and everyone one in this series
cpainter1-4-5788201 February 2020
I am an 80 year old retired psychologist and I am totally enchanted with each and every one of these characters. Life is messy, their lives are messy, and they find ways to deal with and cope with real situations. The acting is wonderful, the stories are wonderful, the filming is wonderful...Simple, free advice? Watch it.
329 out of 372 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic
stevews-1126415 January 2019
Probably the best production Netflix has ever done so far. By the way it's not just for teenagers I'm 67
610 out of 735 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartwarming, Shocking and Hilariously Funny!
Antiguan-Princess26 January 2020
All my favourite elements rolled into one. I binged both seasons on Netflix and cannot wait for more. Great writing, great casting and gripping storylines. The best thing about this show is that it is British. It's so refreshing to see real people portrayed instead of glamned up plastic characters like the US school dramas. Please let there be a season 3.
218 out of 263 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must watch season for 2019!!!
beccy_meares15 January 2019
In an era of too many options on TV, I was feeling a bit down and out about the lack of good shows actually out there, then I discovered this series. It's so bloody refreshing, hilarious, honest and endearing that you can't stop watching. The cast is brilliant and the plot is interesting, with the right amount of predictability and surprise. It's beautifully shot and the acting is really amazing. Can't praise this show enough, I'm going to have to start rewatching it if season two doesn't come out soon...
303 out of 375 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The only way to make the classic American High School genre better is to...
Darth_Andy17 January 2020
... set it in Britain, fill it full of British humour, and give it a decent budget.
182 out of 229 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it
andy-salter12 January 2019
IT'S NOT SET IN THE 80'S, THEY HAVE MOBILE PHONES. IT'S NOT IN AMERICA, NOT ALL BRITISH SCHOOLS WEAR UNIFORMS. THEY ARE IN 6TH FORM, VERY FEW 6TH FORMS WEAR UNIFORMS. IT'S A RUGBY BALL, NOT AN AMERICAN FOOTBALL.

All in all I loved it.
435 out of 585 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Worldwide Education
mannly11 January 2019
I had just pulled an all night movie session off with a friend & as the sun rose thought I would watch an episode of this series. I ended up drinking coffee & bingeing it, because it's that well acted, colourful & human on every level. I can already see reviews criticising making school in the U.K. visually look like the U.S., but if it helps it appeal to a global audience I don't blame them! It works. It's done perfectly with that in mind, and if you are complaining about that then you haven't watched the full beauty & impact that this series should create. There is no racism of any kind, and people are attracted to the person, the way it should be. It puts a spotlight on homophobia & shoo shoos it away for how ridiculous it is & how strong the gay supporting character is, the styles of dress never conform, and it just shows a more beautiful fluidity of beauty, colour, sex, style, and sexual honesty that I wish the whole planet was like. Nit pick what you want people, but in my opinion that's a reflection on you & "The Norm" when I see a fantastic cast with great writing, direction, costume, location, etc... That shows a new ideal town. I wish my high school was like that instead of a stuffy all boys grammar school with bums to the wall when I was outed at 16. Thankyou Sex Education for educating the world on a whole lot more acceptance than just bedroom antics. Watch this show. It's important.
291 out of 388 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So many feelings. WOW!
janerosslj21 January 2020
I can't stress enough how amazing this show is. It is a roller coaster of sadness and REAL life but so so funny and brilliantly made. I can honestly say it's one of my all time favourites. I had high expectations for Season 2 since Season 1 was so amazing, but Season 2 exceeded my expectations beyond any words I could ever write in this review. I binged both seasons in a day and journeyed along with all the characters. I LOVE that it displayed real life and not the typical stereotype "boy gets the girl and lives happily ever after". So wonderful to see Netflix releasing one of a kinds!! I really hope they renew for Season 3!
92 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An updated version of a John Hughes film done as a British TV series
icymi-3790617 January 2019
At first I was thinking, okay this is pretty good... reminds me of all the teen comedies I grew up watching in the eighties, but as it went on they fleshed out some of the characters who began as basic tropes and caricatures and I ended up really liking it by the end.

It's the equivalent of watching four solid John Hughes movies with a little Judd Apatow Freaks and Geeks feel as well. Much more enlightened than a Hughes script yet still irreverent and fun.

Can't wait for season 2... well done everyone!
152 out of 211 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ahead of Its Time
cheiler-7668118 September 2021
There are a lot of teen dramas and sitcoms out there, but none that present ideas in a lot intriguing way than Sex Education. The show almost intentionally plays into stereotypes for comedic effect only to flip a 180, and reveal that there is more going onto to someone than what is one the surface. A low-key a masterpiece and ahead of its time.
41 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice to watch, but a bit unrealistic!
badicastef11 January 2021
I like the show. I find it entertaining and it does bring back some memories from high-school. But, though it is nice and funny, we must address the elephant in the room! And that is the fact that the show creates an unrealistic image, and you don't have to be a brittish teenager to realise this. I mean, though most of the script is well written, and the humor is good, the writers would really have us believe that in the two seasons, depicting two high-school terms, placed in Great Britain, IT ONLY RAINED ONCE??!? I just don't buy that :)).

Great show otherwise!
54 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's sixth form, not high school.
Headblade11 January 2019
Just thought I'd write this after reading some early comments. These are meant to be 16-18 year olds in sixth form college. I can't speak for all seperate sixth-form colleges, but the one I attended did not have a uniform, was based in an old mansion and yes even in the UK we'd occasionally throw an American Football around. Just because it's not the expected experience doesn't mean it doesn't occur.

It may feel alien to most, but the environment felt very nostalgic to myself. Now the storyline premise, that's a whole different story!

As for the plot, at least it's original and two episodes in it hasn't disappointed.
179 out of 265 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It´s fun, relating and great acting!!!
ivarrandahl11 January 2019
2 Episodes in and I'm hooked. I´m a little older than the target group but still find it to be very relatable, not your typical high school drama but more about teenage life (but exaggerated ofc) . Great character build up with clear target of each problems and goals. Superb acting!
152 out of 228 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
S3 downturn
Boxer_00718 September 2021
I previously rated Sex Education as a rare 10 due to its quirky and uplifting take on sex among eclectic British high schoolers. Seasons 1-2 were extremely entertaining, witty, filled with beautiful scenery and interesting storylines between the main characters. Yes, there's a lot of "wokeness" and virtue signaling, but it was somehow all wrapped discretely and didn't affect the overall humor.

Seasons 3 took a detour and feels much heavier, dramatic, and not even close to as funny as the previous seasons. The feel good atmosphere and British sassiness was overshadowed by dreary dialogues and filler moments that made the episodes feel long and quite boring at times.
30 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet and saucy
mflynn-412 January 2019
I watched all eight episodes in one go, it was a delightful experience. Some stunning acting it does what a lot of British drama does at its best blending comic genius with some heartbreaking serious consequences and issues, but never in an overtly preachy manner. Ever character however superficial they initially appear show great depth and complexity in the course of the story. The filming locations are very near to where I live, and have been captured beautifully on camera. Symmonds Yat and the Wye Valley are designated areas of outstanding natural beauty, and the director happily used the area to it's full extent. I've no idea why they decided to go with 1980's cars for everyone whilst at the same time using 2018 mobile phones and laptops , other than that a refreshing amusing and sweet series. I hope it gets another season
116 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant!
dwbell22 January 2020
Just finished Season Two of Sex Education. It really is brilliant. Funny, poignant, sort of true to life (!). It's for everyone who's ever been a teenager!
60 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
PETITION FOR RUBY TO RETURN
jamesabamonga21 September 2021
The only reason i enjoyed the season 3 of Sex Education was because of the character Ruby. She's vulnerable and there's character development. I hope Otis will choose her over Maeve.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So very relevant
rawshan21 January 2019
Just loved this. I'm 38 but still really really enjoyed it. Being a teacher, I see the issues affecting young people and this show addresses all of those and more. What is commendable is it's diverse cast. No other tv snow has managed to do this successfully without having stereotypical stock characters. Hats off to the writers. Some people are getting too bogged down by the setting etc but the point is, it doesn't matter. This could any school in any western country.
71 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An absolute must watch
nikashvili12 January 2019
Sex Education is an excellent show with some witty, genuinely funny and honest writing; diverse and beautiful cast; and stories everyone can related to. Performances are just magnificent, especially by Asa Butterfield and of course, Gillian Anderson.
117 out of 188 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wish this had been around years ago
tooraredie1 April 2021
On the surface level, this show is funny and interesting, but on a deeper level, I really wish this had been around when I was of the age that most of the characters are.

I really feel this would've taught me so much about friendships, relationships, family, that I struggled with learning when I was younger. It gives me hope that this show is popular and might be helping others to learn a lot of this without them having to make a lifetimes worth of mistakes and regrets first.
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterpiece
SerenityStone23 September 2021
Season 3 absolutely solidified this as a masterpiece. This show is stupid good.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love every bit of this show 💞😍
shahidkhanafridi-1129621 September 2021
That scene at the gas station was just uffff pure happiness i stop for a minute or so and re-watch that scene again.

Ruby and otis duo was also highlight of this season i love how they build up their relationships so nicely

My only complaint was they didn't give Maeve and otis enough screen time together otherwise it was a great season.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
3rd Season Is Awful
johnkuhnlein-6605323 September 2021
The first two seasons of this show were delightful--comical, whimsical, and touching. Then came season 3. What a bizarre and awful season this was. It seems apparent the writers had no idea where to go. You have the storylines ranging from horror to slapstick to bathos on a whim. The story of the new head mistress and her draconian measures are on par with 1984. Then you toss is a supposedly hilarious bit involving a sock full of human feces. The romantic story lines look they were assembled off a a checklist: handicapped person? Check. Trans person? Check Gay people? Check. Plus, the actors all now look more like middle-agers than high school students now. I pray there will be no season four because season 3 was so awful.
24 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What happened to season 3...?
hirokoebizaki30 September 2021
Great show, lovable characters and good acting. Like many others wrote, I didn't enjoy season 3... did something happen to their screen writers?? I can't help but wondering that... IF they continue to season 4 I really hope they come back strong like season 1/2.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.