Tang ren jie tan an 2 (2018) Poster

A messy sequel
TheBigSick17 February 2018
The editing, cinematography, and soundtrack are top-notch, and Wang Baoqiang's high pitch line delivery simply shows why he is the best actor of his generation and one of the biggest comedy stars in China. The screenplay is however a mess and the plot lacks any sense of credibility. Chen Sicheng just put everything together, and in the end you do not know what was exactly happening. All in all, this is a sequel that cannot match the original movie in 2015.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite good
o-501671 March 2018
This movie is beyond my expectation coz One was a bit disappointing. The location New York is a plus for me and the plot is really funny, sophisticated and attractive. Baobao's acting style is not my type but I respect his effort. There were many familiar faces in the movie who surprised me. Finally, who is Q btw?
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Comedy-Mystery: Mystery Good, Comedy, Weak
boblipton24 February 2018
Here's the imaginatively titled sequel to the 2015 movie. This time the loud, idiotic, blustering (distant) uncle and the stammering brilliant nephew are summoned to New York. There's been a murder, and "Uncle Seven" is offering a huge reward if any of a dozen private detectives can figure out who did it before the police do, and before he dies.

It's a comedy mystery set in New York City, and the mystery is a nicely tangled one that turns into a serial killing, with all the clues properly laid out in front of the movie audience in advance. I was less pleased with the other aspects of the movie -- the comedy bits varied over the shop, with a few gags that worked, but the interactions between the leads not very good; and the geography of New York City in this movie bears as little relationship to the New York I've lived in all my life as.... well, as a typical Hollywood movie set here, which is to say, almost none.

Still, there are enough recurring characters and set-ups that the film-makers clearly have yet another sequel in store. This one looks to be set in Tokyo.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun buddy cop comedy
Jithindurden18 May 2018
The first hour was pure fun perfectly balancing the comedy and the mystery the next half hour dragged a bit when it tried to look serious but instead kind of looked stupid and the last hour was quite ridiculous. Even with all of that and a string of jokes that just uses stereotypes it was superfun with great 2 lead performances.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.