Brightburn (2019) Poster

(2019)

He's Not Here To Save The World
ymyuseda30 May 2019
He's Not Here To Save The World !! Surprisingly entertaining. This movie is just amazing and the acting from everyone was great. Excellent acting performance by Jackson A.Dunn a.k.a Brandon Breyer & Elizabeth Banks a.k.a Tori Breyer !! Brightburn is a strong proof that even during the crappy horror times, there comes a film to scare the hell out of you. It definitely worth to watch !!
215 out of 257 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Refreshing
rheyareggie12 May 2019
Great Movie with a Great Story.. if you're tired like I am of watching Superheroe movies already knowing the good guy is always going to win, you'll love this..
137 out of 206 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Remember thinking "What if..."
adal2012312 May 2019
Won't spoil the fun, recommend if at some point in life you wondered about Superman turning into Super Sayan conquerer. Well done.
110 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
He's not the hero we need or deserve
ksgillihan12 May 2019
I was waiting for this movie after seeing the very interesting trailers for it a few months ago. I was hoping for something new and fresh in an area flooded with do-gooders and the upright. Thankfully this movie delivers on this and more. The premise of this film is not one we have seen before in the "superhero" genre. What would the world do if a super-powered life form came to Earth and realized that we were all just insects to it? It starts out very "Clark Kent" like with the couple who have no children happening upon a child falling from the heavens. The parents see this as a blessing. As if the universe heard their cries for a child and answered them. Soon though, this Smallville scene takes a turn towards absolute terror. This "child" isn't what he seems to be. He isn't a boy, or a human. He's something altogether different. I was very pleased at the difference in the normal storytelling we see from Hollywood. Very entertaining and very interesting.
98 out of 158 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't Piss Off the Quiet Kid
bluesunflowersb19 May 2019
READ NO FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN'T YET SEEN THIS MOVIE. SPOILERS.

The list of Cardinal Rules broken by the players in this tale of horror are too many to count. But I'm going to have a whack at most of them. ***These people should have watched Ryan Higa's "How to Survive A Horror Movie." (See it on YouTube.)***

First of all: You don't go out into the woods and pick up some stray baby from an alien spacecraft, keep the kid, and think things are going to be sweet and rosy.

Second: You don't stash the spacecraft out in the barn and think things are going to be A-okay.

Third: When your quiet little sweetheart of a kid crushes his classmate's hand into pulp, you don't brush it off as childhood shenanigans.

Fourth: When you find blood and guts photos secreted amongst your pubescent 12-year-old male kid's trash stash, you don't brush it off as saying maybe he's just boning up (har, har) for his bio class or whatever.

This movie made me think of Stephen King. Kind of his genre of thing.

What I liked most about the movie was the cast. The Dad, played by David Denman, is awesome in his role. Elizabeth Banks is okay. The kid with the laser eyes is highly watchable and believeable.

I had a bit of a hard time seeing Banks as a Kansas housewife, stuck out on a farm, denim overalls and all. What were they farming, anyway? A dozen chickens? And since when are there wolves in Kansas? There haven't been wolves in Kansas since they were "extirpated" (euphemism for completely wiped out) in the early 1900s. (I know, I looked it up.)

Okay. So many plot holes and trite goings on. But there are some GOTCHA! moments when you may leap up in surprise, too. There's definitely some nasty gory stomach-churning bits for those of you who enjoy that type of stuff. I'm gonna have a hard time wiping that guy in his truck scene out of my mind any time soon.

I gave this movie 7 stars. Watching David Denman is what made this a fun movie for me.
22 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A really scary movie
JoeYabuki18 May 2019
I loved it. How they manage the tension is EXCELLENT. Having this child on earth must be very scary. The plot is "what if Superman was bad". Warner and DC Comics have nothing to do with this project, they just based on that character to create this one. If you do not know anything about Sups mythology it will seem like a good movie, but if you know even the actors who have played it and much more you will understand every tribute. 100% recommended.
79 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My kinda Superhero 👍
jasongkgreen10 June 2019
More a horror person than a superhero fan?

I liked this, it was interesting. Something different. A couple of jump scares, but more a threatening presence type of thing. A strong peformance by Jackson A Dunn, the lead, although playing a rather "grey" kid, the menace is well done.

Jenifer Holland otherwise takes the plaudits as strong, loving and rather yummy mummy.

Superman parallels, with traditional horror feels, and a quirky theme. Well done with some interesting cinematography and some well done effects and gore.

The titles exit music by Billie Eilish 'Bad Guy', was a nice touch.

It's no masterpiece but a good 7/10 for me and a worthy watch.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Super Blood !!
cvtehnikdamai10 May 2019
You just have to watch this movie. Best horror.. Good Job Gunn's Generation !!
94 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Different than what I expected
marceberlein13 May 2019
No spoilers here. Definitely alot different from what I expected but definitely worth it the story is well told the visual effects are good and some good bloody images and wounds
55 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way better than i expected
miho-dae10 May 2019
It is suprise me a lot. I watched the trailer, i think it will fun, it will be just fun. But i'm wrong, this movie is more than i expected. James gunn bring the new taste of horror movie. A good combination between horror and superpower. This is darker than we need talk about kevin. With gore scenes everywhere, people around me got stunned. Because this movie give us something that we didn't ask...shocked!!! This is so good...
83 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Horror/Thriller
ebra-1569213 May 2019
For a budget 7 million movie this will be one of the best Horror/Thriller movies of 2019. Something about children killers is entertaining. This is more if General Zod came to earth as a baby. I was impressed with the Brandon actor, he looks like a psychopath when he needs too.I was praying we didn't get a cheesy ending they delivered. I would recommend this movie to anyone.
40 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One timer
MooWoolf126 May 2019
The story is what you would expect. The kid is Superman as a villain. That's an interesting and cool idea. It's a sci-fi in first place. It was fine anyway. It had it's moments, it does something that you don't see often in movies and I think it works out great, even tho you wouldn't expect it. But as the title says, it is a one timer.

Beside the good things in the movie, there are bad things also.

The story did not include parts that we should have seen. We don't get to see what's happening inside the head of the boy. Almost at all! This is a big problem. We see him what he does, but we don't know why he does those things (only in basics).

In every movie there's a motivation. Here we don't have that.
65 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I believed the reviews, unfortunately
fecaspan19 May 2019
It wasn't good. I had somewhat high hopes, considering the Gunns being involved in this film. I either expected it to be slow, dark and just terrifying, or a brutal, gory, fun movie. It was neither. The characters were written dumb, the scares were just.. scares, plain and simple. You know, the usual cheap stuff. Loud noises, big bad wolf appearing behind the characters, blabla. And the gore was basically non-existent, so there's that. I love a good horror, i love being truly scared, i love when i can't help myself and just feel the need to cover my eyes. This movie had no effect on me whatsoever. And it's not a fun turn-off-your-brain joyride, it isn't fun at all. It's just cheap. However if you're the casual movie goer, you might have a good time. I heard people saying they liked it, so, good for them. But if you expect a good horror. It is not that.
101 out of 196 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had potential. But, ultimately was squandered.
axess68-9-49702312 May 2019
The movie suffers from poor writing and pacing. The concept is great. But, WAY too much time is spent on the build up and there is very little done in coming up with a solution to the problem. Most of the movie is spent on exposition.

What could have been done is that he started his killing spree earlier on, was discovered, and somehow, a solution was formed or attempts at a solution were implemented. There was no foil to evil 'super-kid'. All it ended up being was a big exposition and then the typical late-into-the-movie mounting body count.

The movie feels incomplete - like half a movie.
73 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dull and Generic
celestine130719 May 2019
Whether you like Zack Snyder's controversial, grittier take on Superman in "Man Of Steel" or felt that it was a complete butchery of the character, I assure you that whatever was done in this film makes what Snyder did look great. "Brightburn" tells a 'what if' tale about an evil Superman, or in this case, Superboy. It is a horror take on the classic mythos with Superman now being a 12-year-old boy who turns out to be evil.

On paper, that sounds amazing. A deconstruction of the iconic character that has actually worked surprisingly well in it's original medium- the comics. Furthermore, it is produced by James Gunn and written by his brothers, Brian and Mark. With Gunn being so closely attached to this project, how could it possibly fail? After all this is James Gunn we are talking about, the man who is responsible for bringing the d-list "Guardians of the Galaxy" to the big screen. Gunn's 2010 film, "Super" was also a deconstruction of the superhero genre by itself and "Slither" was an excellent homage to old school horror films. Looking back at his past filmography, "Brightburn" seems to be a sure fire culmination of them all. Unfortunately, this is not directed nor written by him.

As mentioned, the script was written by his brothers, who previously worked on "Journey 2", the one with The Rock. Director David Yarovesky who has done nothing really notable, other than a music video for "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" and some horror feature no one's heard before, helms this. Boy, does it really show. For a film that aims to subvert the superhero genre or the mythos, it does nothing new. Instead, the end product is bleak and dire that even out matches the dark DC Snyder-verse, in that area. However, it is also bland and dull.

For some reason, this film has no comedic elements or even fun at all. Although I appreciate it being in full horror territory, the lack of James Gunn's signature tongue in cheek tone is infuriating. It's as if "Brightburn" tries so hard to make fun of and criticize "Man of Steel" but becomes the worse version of it. There are so many elements that Yarovesky and his writers directly lift from "Man of Steel". Heck, even the score sounds similar to Hans Zimmer's epic. However, all these elements felt watered down and it is not way as glorious as it's predecessor.

"Brightburn" feels unusually cheap and I don't mean as a low budget film only. The script is weak and the narrative feels incomplete. Scenes felt like they have not enough shot coverage or footage available. The entire film feels too rushed as a whole. I can't believe that I missed the slower pace of "Man of Steel". There are also weird character decisions that don't make any sense and only seemed to be made for moving on the plot.

Despite the acting being mostly competent, I could not care less about the characters. There is zero character development whatsoever, especially for the evil kid and weirdly enough, there is also no mythology fleshed out at all which leaves a ton of unanswered questions by the end. Additionally, "Brightburn" suffers from most of the same pitfalls of being formulaic and generic as any other modern day horror film. There is an over-reliance on jump scares and cut away from as much from the gore as possible.

Overall, it is really maddening how the film never reached a bit of it's creative potential. What we have got is a bare minimum of a movie that is so subpar to even call it a deconstruction of anything. It should have been over the top, satirical or at least scary. It's funny as an over the top character, played by one of James Gunn's commonly worked with actors, showed up when the credits rolled, leaving you to realise this should have been the tone of the film.

For a better deconstruction of the genre, audiences might want to watch Josh Trank's "Chronicle" instead. Despite my hatred of found footage, I appreciate what Trank was trying to do and it is a proper way to look at the genre differently. Or audiences can just go and watch "Man of Steel" again as flawed as it maybe; Snyder did fleshed out a unique perspective of the character. This on the other hand, is I quote from another reviewer, a cheap one-night-stand that takes all your money and leaves you unsatisfied.
68 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not your average Superman.
skateboardlover9315 May 2019
I just watched this film. I went into it thinking it was a dark reimagining of Superman. And it kinda is but it is very good.
61 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent potential.. Gunn thank you..
tooranim15 May 2019
The movie Jeep's you on edge all through, fully agree with the R rating as this movie draws you and keeps you intrigued.. The story starts out as Man of steel, then twists you in all directions.. The Gore is GOREY and the effects are realistically done.. CG does not ruin the story here.. All in all, highly recommended and references mentioned (Easter eggs) are interesting..
39 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting.
moviewiz-411 May 2019
A very creative story teller. Actor and actress are fine, they act well. A must see for some ages as there are gore and blood. Looking at the ending, you can make the second chapter.
48 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brightburn Reignites An Old Flame Towards The Superhero Movie Genre
scraben13 May 2019
A friend of mine allowed me to garner a viewing of the new film Brightburn. I'm not sure how they acquired the chance, though I was thankful for the opportunity. Foremost & firstly, this is an intriguing spin upon the mythos that Superman spearheaded into mainstream. Now, before I coyly explain that, allow me to state that this isn't the first ever horror-esque-themed superperson story. Yes, there were such in the 80's with the likes of the campy-yet-adored Swamp Thing & a singular touch more recently with the good-idea/bad-execution Chronicle.

This one, though, adheres a bit strongly towards the basis of Superman. Heck, remember the Man Of Steel scene when Clark runs into the closet at school & the teacher follows him? The one where he uses great vision on the doorknob to prevent the teacher from opening the door of the closet? Remember that? Remember that subtle feeling you had when you thought, "Wait! What if he was evil?" No, not that same cocky feeling you felt during Justice League when Superman is first resurrected & fights the other league members. That one was just a snarky showcasing feather in the cap of that original Man Of Steel closet scene feeling. That MOS moment, though, allotted for you to momentarily race thoughts through your mind about a malicious Superboy gone totally astray from his superhero aim. This movie, here(Brightburn, in case you forgot the page you're on), takes those speeding thoughts & tosses them up in the air like a baseball stolen from the wimpy intelligent kid by the brutal + foolish bully child.

The big thing about this is the fact that neither director, David Yarovesky, nor writers/producers, James Gunn + Mark Gunn + Brian Gunn(truthfully, James produced & gave ideas, while Mark + Brian wrote), are foolish. They are intelligent & able to convey that bully regard in the manner that you'd want to see in fiction, though never hope would ever take place in reality. They play on what worked for MOS, showing the loner child with the loving parents that you hope would be willing to securely step into his own identity without making it seem like a "Could this work?" moment.

Instead, when you see this character begin to come into realization of what he possesses, you see him test out what's possible, though not on the ones whom you'd presumed he would. The devastation caused by him is seen to be a task taken towards those of whom normally doesn't receive the brunt force by most of the villains in traditional Superhero films.

One scene in particular somewhat fully shows what you'd expect to see General Zod conduct against a personal Earthly antagonist of his without Superhero powers(No, not Batman. Think of one of those military colonels). It is shocking, though what preceded it was a slow build to a tactic that proved futile against his preteen self. So, in a weird way, he received his justice. Though the villain loving crowd will cheer at it, the rest of the audience wouldn't help to feel a great deal of nervousness regarding what such a moment will fully unleash for the character.

Is the film perfect? No. Such a thing is as impossible as finding a perfect person. Is the film good? Yes. Such a thing is honestly & strangely needed through this current overrun of Superhero films. Does it look to garner a sequel? The option is strongly open, though I'm sure that the intention is simply to make a one-off film & not a film series. Would I watch it, again? Yes, even more so if viewing it with others whom haven't seen it before. Shoot, I'd do such even with those whom have seen it before, provided that the additional viewers are intelligent & wisely jokeful. Honestly, even if the Gunn family & Yarovesky did make a "spiritual sequel" spinning another the basis of another hero into a nefarious tale, I'd be eager to see where it heads.

From me, Brightburn is granted a 9.3 out of 10. Good work & many thanks, you wonderful actors & Fantastic Foursome.
35 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hands down the most straight and shocking Superman's alter ego.
adal2012312 May 2019
For all who wondered what if Superman was more like Sayajin conquerors from DBZ. Great flick.
47 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Needed work
zac_g1220 May 2019
The kids acting was subpar and at times the adults seemed more of a comedic aspect. The outlier is Elizabeth Banks. She doesn't fit the role and when it comes to a desperate mother it is anything but believable. The story was dragged out and it was the vibe of 'Superman meets the Omen'
30 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Go see this movie
nataliematthews13 May 2019
If you're looking for a minute still remake not going to happen the only thing that favors Man of steel was the trailer of this movie this movie was fantastic it was great gory graphic creepy horrifying especially if you're a Superman fan don't take small children
36 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well Made. And if Superman was a villain he would be really scary
tarekag16 May 2019
No spoilers here. go watch this movie and tell us what you think if Superman (or someone like him) would hit puberty and become evil..
32 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
highly intense...
alterigo11 May 2019
Maybe someone took the story of superman..and wrote it in utterly evil way...and the result was this great- full of heartstopping moments-movie.. it was so believable ...ask the people who sat in front of me ;)
44 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrifying, surprising, serious!
szilay-3888512 May 2019
Finally a superhero movie for adults, this movie had no candy-lovely-cutie. This movie was more a normal horror-drama-thriller, and not full of sci-fi or superheroes. We saw a lil guy, just like superman, but the story made him angry to the world, so does the ship he came, telling him that the world is his --> this is the main difference to Superman story. This world is his, and he is so chilled, clever and confident here eithout any fear. The lil guy acting was briliant, the story was great, it is not like a Marvel movie, we dont have much characters, like only Brandon is who we need to know. And yeah, the movie was a horror - not so hard, but it was so creepy cos Brandon could do whatever he wanted, so he didnt hurry nowhere, made his decisions slowly and quite smartly. Okay too much word, go and watch the Brightburn, it will be the best Superhero experience for you!
39 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.