Brightburn (2019) Poster

(2019)

1,226 Reviews
Interesting concept hurt by poor execution
cardsrock30 May 2019
This felt like a stripped down, summarized version of this story. No time is really invested into characters, so you don't really feel anything for them. The concept, while fascinating, is never fully explored. The actors all do their best though and are solid throughout. The film is also surprisingly gore-filled and there were some genuinely queasy moments. Everything just chugs along at a breakneck pace and it plays out as you'd expect. There was an opportunity to take a lot of chances with this story, but it decides to settle for being a mildly entertaining flick.
430 out of 547 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good take
Clive_W22 June 2019
I must admit, I wasn't sure at first what to take from the trailer when I originally watched it, but I must admit the result was pleasantly surprising. As with any film, and any review, everything gets a mixed bag, some will expect more story, but this isn't a story you need more to explain, everyone knows the idea of an alien coming to earth, much like good old Superman, based on that concept alone you role with what bits of information you are given, much like the bee story, a hive, now with no spoiling any of the content, like with everything I'd say check the film out for yourself, form your own view, but don't expect a back story, as this film focus is on the what if. As always it's good to see good reviews and bad, always like to see how people take things home. Now I hope this helps, but with every review it is an opinion. Take care. And be forever watchful of those skies.
61 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasted potential
deandsouza1589225 May 2019
This film pitched a very simple question - 'What if Superman was evil?'. After watching it, I feel like this was a marketing ploy used to sell the script and bring audiences to the door. Honestly, if you take the Superman aspect out of it, this is really just your generic low-budget horror flick. The gist of it is a kid wants to be evil one day and just goes ahead killing people. That's really it.

This is one of those rare stories,that I feel could really benefit from an additional 30 minutes. The fact that the runtime is limited to 90 minutes, results in a lot of rushed scenes, which are consequenced by my biggest complaint, the editing. It feels like they shot all the scenes individually,but had no idea how to transition, so they stitched them together. You're just bouncing from scene-to-scene-to-scene and it's incredibly jarring. There are several moments when I thought, yes, this is interesting,but please slow down so I can marinate in it. Nope,next scene.

There are,however, a few redeeming aspects. The actors do a really good job, and I really wish they had more time to sell us on the material. The gore,is actually quite good; there are some really brutal, bloody moments that I enjoyed. And finally, the creative decision to add Billie Eillish' 'bad guy' was genius.

Overall,I don't really know what you're looking for in this story. If it's a dark Superman twist, you won't get it. If it's horror, it's mediocre. As a slasher gore film, not bad at all. I'd classify this as wasted potential.
404 out of 548 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasted potential
andrewmerritt-316528 December 2019
Brightburn stars Elizabeth Banks who is trying to have a child with her husband, but when an alien spaceship crashes in Kansas, they adopt the child and raise him as one of their own. What if Superman became evil is what I would sum up Brightburn in a nutshell. And it does have an interesting concept, it's just poorly executed. This is produced by James Gunn, the same man who gave us two Guardians of the Galaxy. And what I think is that James Gunn had this interesting concept for this character and all the pieces were there. But instead of coming up with an intellectual script, the script writers took the pieces, threw it into the trash, and turned it into a generic horror film. It's as if almost everyone took a different approach, and decided to turn this concept to what if Superman was evil? to What if Jason Vorhees or Michael Meyers had superpowers? But even Jackson A. Dunn who plays Brandon Beyer has zero character development and is annoying from start to finish. There's no character development anywhere. No questions as too where he came from? Who are his parents? How'd he get his superpowers? There's no explanation. They just turn him into a psychopath and he starts killing innocent people who didn't deserve to die just because he didn't get his way. And to me that feels lazy and the entire movie feels half baked. So in the end, while it does have an interesting concept, it just left me disappointed, cause they had so much material they could've worked with, but they took the easy way out.
82 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
don't believe the tagline
ff_mfg22 June 2019
Tagline was suggesting it would be an interesting take on the reversal of superman premise. But instead of exploring why and what makes someone a hero or an evildoer, that was completely overridden and it became just a horror movie with gore elements, with "evil superman" being just a wallpaper theme. It's not a bad horror, mind you, but for me it felt like a very interesting opportunity was lost here.
124 out of 182 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had potential. But, ultimately was squandered.
Axess201912 May 2019
The movie suffers from poor writing and pacing. The concept is great. But, WAY too much time is spent on the build up and there is very little done in coming up with a solution to the problem. Most of the movie is spent on exposition.

What could have been done is that he started his killing spree earlier on, was discovered, and somehow, a solution was formed or attempts at a solution were implemented. There was no foil to evil 'super-kid'. All it ended up being was a big exposition and then the typical late-into-the-movie mounting body count.

The movie feels incomplete - like half a movie.
347 out of 546 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mean-spirited violence with no story . . .
steve-096842 June 2019
This pathetic movie bills itself as "Superman gone Bad." And when I heard that tagline I was intrigued enough to buy a ticket - something I now regret. Because this isn't a bad Superman - it's just a bad movie.

Here's the entire plot: A mindless orgy of hyperviolence and grisly murder by an alien child with superpowers. That's it. You now know the entire movie.

There is no backstory, no explanation for the child's homicidal mania. He's just a crazy superpowered murder-machine. The director has no need for story. Instead, he's content to maximize blood & gore - taking great pleasure in depicting each murder with excessive detail. Amplified sounds of crushing bones, bodies suddenly blasted to pieces, close up shots of glass chunks jamming into eyeballs, death-ray vision blowing holes in people's heads.

My advice is to skip this movie entirely and instead watch the terrific 1956 film "The Bad Seed." It's also about a murderous child, but is told skillfully and persuasively - and was nominated for 4 Academy Awards. You might also check out Episode 73 of "The Twilight Zone" (1961). Titled "It's a Good Life," it is a compelling glimpse into the mind of an impulsive 6-year-old child with deadly superpowers. It stars Billy Mumy as the awful child, and Cloris Leachman & John Larch as his very frightened parents. Unfortunately the director of "Brightburn" never saw either of these two excellent productions - because if he had, he would have quickly realized he needed to include a story . . . .
89 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Refreshing
radar_chef8 August 2019
I enjoyed this because there was no happy ending. There were no plucky Americans who found a way to win. They lost. It successfully built it's way up to an inevitable sequel which I would hope fulfils the same nastiness and lack of hope of this movie. Do you like good guys to win? This isn't for you. Are you a realist? You'll love it.
155 out of 253 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
He's not the hero we need or deserve
ksgillihan12 May 2019
I was waiting for this movie after seeing the very interesting trailers for it a few months ago. I was hoping for something new and fresh in an area flooded with do-gooders and the upright. Thankfully this movie delivers on this and more. The premise of this film is not one we have seen before in the "superhero" genre. What would the world do if a super-powered life form came to Earth and realized that we were all just insects to it? It starts out very "Clark Kent" like with the couple who have no children happening upon a child falling from the heavens. The parents see this as a blessing. As if the universe heard their cries for a child and answered them. Soon though, this Smallville scene takes a turn towards absolute terror. This "child" isn't what he seems to be. He isn't a boy, or a human. He's something altogether different. I was very pleased at the difference in the normal storytelling we see from Hollywood. Very entertaining and very interesting.
312 out of 527 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This could have been a gamechanger in the Superhero Genre...
saikatsamanta25 May 2020
What would happen to the world if Superman was evil ? This film tries to explore this intriguing concept with mediocre outcome. They were able to provide some really chilling & gory scenes to project the horror, but lack of character development and a weak script, made me disengage from the film. Hopefully there may be other films which will try to explore the dark side of Superhero genre successfully, like Joker did.
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Refreshing
rheyareggie12 May 2019
Great Movie with a Great Story.. if you're tired like I am of watching Superheroe movies already knowing the good guy is always going to win, you'll love this..
332 out of 586 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
He's Not Here To Save The World
ymyuseda30 May 2019
Rating 10/10 He's Not Here To Save The World !! Surprisingly entertaining. This movie is just amazing and the acting from everyone was great. Excellent acting performance by Jackson A.Dunn a.k.a Brandon Breyer & Elizabeth Banks a.k.a Tori Breyer !! Brightburn is a strong proof that even during the crappy horror times, there comes a film to scare the hell out of you. It definitely worth to watch !!
390 out of 714 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A distant cousin of Clark Kent
FrenchEddieFelson15 August 2019
The film is strangely similar to Superman, Brandon Breyer having many similarities with Clark Kent: a staggering arrival on earth of an alien with a human appearance within a kind of meteorite, a secret adoption by a couple in the countryside, the famous red cape (obviously!) and a metal from the meteorite that seems to be the equivalent of kryptonite. But, if Clark strives to 'protect' the world, Brandon should all just 'take' the world!

As a synthesis: 6.4 of 10 on IMDb? Clearly underrated! In my humble opinion, it's rather 7 of 10 knowing that Jackson A. Dunn flawlessly interprets this enigmatic character.
77 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One timer
MooWoolf126 May 2019
The story is what you would expect. The kid is Superman as a villain. That's an interesting and cool idea. It's a sci-fi in first place. It was fine anyway. It had it's moments, it does something that you don't see often in movies and I think it works out great, even tho you wouldn't expect it. But as the title says, it is a one timer.

Beside the good things in the movie, there are bad things also.

The story did not include parts that we should have seen. We don't get to see what's happening inside the head of the boy. Almost at all! This is a big problem. We see him what he does, but we don't know why he does those things (only in basics).

In every movie there's a motivation. Here we don't have that.
194 out of 349 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
We must demand better than this mediocrity.
famousdirector21 June 2019
This was written in the most derivative unimaginative way possible.

This could have been something special. But it was boring AF.

I could have written a better version of this half awake.

Why would a middle schooler with no real conception of who he is or what he can be suddenly get off on screwing with people before killing them? No reason except to create a "horror scene"... and that equals BAD WRITING.

I'm so sad that stuff like this gets the green light. We must demand better or the film industry is finished.
102 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dull and Generic
celestine130719 May 2019
Whether you like Zack Snyder's controversial, grittier take on Superman in "Man Of Steel" or felt that it was a complete butchery of the character, I assure you that whatever was done in this film makes what Snyder did look great. "Brightburn" tells a 'what if' tale about an evil Superman, or in this case, Superboy. It is a horror take on the classic mythos with Superman now being a 12-year-old boy who turns out to be evil.

On paper, that sounds amazing. A deconstruction of the iconic character that has actually worked surprisingly well in it's original medium- the comics. Furthermore, it is produced by James Gunn and written by his brothers, Brian and Mark. With Gunn being so closely attached to this project, how could it possibly fail? After all this is James Gunn we are talking about, the man who is responsible for bringing the d-list "Guardians of the Galaxy" to the big screen. Gunn's 2010 film, "Super" was also a deconstruction of the superhero genre by itself and "Slither" was an excellent homage to old school horror films. Looking back at his past filmography, "Brightburn" seems to be a sure fire culmination of them all. Unfortunately, this is not directed nor written by him.

As mentioned, the script was written by his brothers, who previously worked on "Journey 2", the one with The Rock. Director David Yarovesky who has done nothing really notable, other than a music video for "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" and some horror feature no one's heard before, helms this. Boy, does it really show. For a film that aims to subvert the superhero genre or the mythos, it does nothing new. Instead, the end product is bleak and dire that even out matches the dark DC Snyder-verse, in that area. However, it is also bland and dull.

For some reason, this film has no comedic elements or even fun at all. Although I appreciate it being in full horror territory, the lack of James Gunn's signature tongue in cheek tone is infuriating. It's as if "Brightburn" tries so hard to make fun of and criticize "Man of Steel" but becomes the worse version of it. There are so many elements that Yarovesky and his writers directly lift from "Man of Steel". Heck, even the score sounds similar to Hans Zimmer's epic. However, all these elements felt watered down and it is not way as glorious as it's predecessor.

"Brightburn" feels unusually cheap and I don't mean as a low budget film only. The script is weak and the narrative feels incomplete. Scenes felt like they have not enough shot coverage or footage available. The entire film feels too rushed as a whole. I can't believe that I missed the slower pace of "Man of Steel". There are also weird character decisions that don't make any sense and only seemed to be made for moving on the plot.

Despite the acting being mostly competent, I could not care less about the characters. There is zero character development whatsoever, especially for the evil kid and weirdly enough, there is also no mythology fleshed out at all which leaves a ton of unanswered questions by the end. Additionally, "Brightburn" suffers from most of the same pitfalls of being formulaic and generic as any other modern day horror film. There is an over-reliance on jump scares and cut away from as much from the gore as possible.

Overall, it is really maddening how the film never reached a bit of it's creative potential. What we have got is a bare minimum of a movie that is so subpar to even call it a deconstruction of anything. It should have been over the top, satirical or at least scary. It's funny as an over the top character, played by one of James Gunn's commonly worked with actors, showed up when the credits rolled, leaving you to realise this should have been the tone of the film.

For a better deconstruction of the genre, audiences might want to watch Josh Trank's "Chronicle" instead. Despite my hatred of found footage, I appreciate what Trank was trying to do and it is a proper way to look at the genre differently. Or audiences can just go and watch "Man of Steel" again as flawed as it maybe; Snyder did fleshed out a unique perspective of the character. This on the other hand, is I quote from another reviewer, a cheap one-night-stand that takes all your money and leaves you unsatisfied.
208 out of 383 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bleak and Pessimist
claudio_carvalho12 August 2019
Sometimes we watch a film that does not end the way we want (or expect). "Brightburn" is one of those films. The story begins almost as a rip-off "Smallville", with a boy from another planet raised by farmers in Brightburn, Kansas. However when adolescence comes, the powerful boy turns into an evil creature instead of a conventional hero. And from this moment on, he becomes a cruel being incapable to be destroyed and the film has a bleak, pessimist and unpleasant conclusion. Is "Brightburn" a bad movie? No, but probably will not please many viewers. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Brightburn - Filho das Trevas" ("Brightburn - Son of the Shadows")
46 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing concept falls short
goodriddance_9224 June 2019
This film has so much promise, it just lacks a special kind of substance. I had rather high hopes for it but it just lacked a killer blow. Maybe they're saving something bigger for a sequel. The biggest moments they saved as a sizzle reel during the credits? I guess they ran out of budget or something. The horror elements were cool, the kid was actually pretty decent. Just wanted more.
53 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brightburn! Nah! He is Thanos' Son.
EngineerSahab8 August 2019
Bored of watching the usual supernatural characters, go for this one. He is Intelligent, Fast, Super Strong and Super Cute - But mind ya, he is here to take down the world, not save it!

The story of a devil and its advocate -

How long can it take for a mother (a character perfectly played by Elizabeth Banks) to come to terms with reality that her cute and brilliant kid is nothing but pure evil (a role brilliantly played by young artist Jackson Dunn)? How long will it take before she realizes that she has been playing a "devil's advocate"? Find it for yourself, you won't be disappointed!

And if you think that an intelligent, fast, strong and cute kid has to be none other than your regular Spider-Man, then I insist you to think again!

This is an original stuff. Hats off! to the writers for coming up with an extraordinary piece of work with an equally talented cast.
75 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It wasn't like the expectation from the trailer 👎
buingoclinhchi25 May 2019
Although the idea of this movie is awesome, but the way the director put the plot into this movie is terrible!! Character's interactions and dialogues are already 60 minutes of the movie. The action scene isn't good enough, and the scenes just rushing up each other.
120 out of 224 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Needed work
zac_g1220 May 2019
The kids acting was subpar and at times the adults seemed more of a comedic aspect. The outlier is Elizabeth Banks. She doesn't fit the role and when it comes to a desperate mother it is anything but believable. The story was dragged out and it was the vibe of 'Superman meets the Omen'
125 out of 237 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I believed the reviews, unfortunately
fecaspan19 May 2019
It wasn't good. I had somewhat high hopes, considering the Gunns being involved in this film. I either expected it to be slow, dark and just terrifying, or a brutal, gory, fun movie. It was neither. The characters were written dumb, the scares were just.. scares, plain and simple. You know, the usual cheap stuff. Loud noises, big bad wolf appearing behind the characters, blabla. And the gore was basically non-existent, so there's that. I love a good horror, i love being truly scared, i love when i can't help myself and just feel the need to cover my eyes. This movie had no effect on me whatsoever. And it's not a fun turn-off-your-brain joyride, it isn't fun at all. It's just cheap. However if you're the casual movie goer, you might have a good time. I heard people saying they liked it, so, good for them. But if you expect a good horror. It is not that.
253 out of 503 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Remember thinking "What if..."
adal2012312 May 2019
Won't spoil the fun, recommend if at some point in life you wondered about Superman turning into Super Sayan conquerer. Well done.
199 out of 400 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a wasted opportunity
adityangm416 May 2019
The trailer looked damn cool. Very interesting concept. I am a big fan of Superman and seeing how this movie was based on that alien kid with superpowers basically being a God among men Superman trope, needless to say, I was pretty excited. It was also interesting how this movie took that concept and tried to make it into a horror/monster movie. But if you forget the cool concept and the gimmick, the movie is bad. It's just bad and so very boring. It's not even a good horror movie. One of the major issues I had with this movie was the decision of the writers to make the alien boy act, not on his own will but as something that just doesn't have a mind of its own and is just sent to Earth to take over the planet. I know it's the writers' decision but I thought it would have been more interesting if the kid acted on his own will and did bad things just because he could without any repercussions. Any kid who would have such powers would do whatever he wants and some of the things he may want may not be innocent but be very cruel. The decision to make him a mindless killing machine didn't work for me. They made him just another generic monster. And as a horror/monster movie, the film just doesn't work. Even the modern horror movies are trying so hard to stand out by not falling into cliches and the overused horror tropes. But this movie didn't make any such effort. I was really bored most of the time. The acting sucks. Writing sucks. There are some cool moments but I wouldn't watch this movie again. 3/10
62 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A really scary movie
JoeYabuki18 May 2019
I loved it. How they manage the tension is EXCELLENT. Having this child on earth must be very scary. The plot is "what if Superman was bad". Warner and DC Comics have nothing to do with this project, they just based on that character to create this one. If you do not know anything about Sups mythology it will seem like a good movie, but if you know even the actors who have played it and much more you will understand every tribute. 100% recommended.
163 out of 326 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.