My Hero Academia: Two Heroes (2018) Poster

Two words... PLUS ULTRA!!!!
ColtPython8228 September 2018
Amazing movie, must see for any MHA fan! Only (ONLY) thing I wish they would have done is include more backstory for All Might. I would have love to see his childhood, teenage years, and more of his college days... But maybe they're saving that for the manga or more movies.
23 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love this so much! It is an amazing experience and includes all the things I love about the show!
rannynm3 October 2018
I love this movie so much! It was an amazing experience that made me happy to be a fan of this amazing show. It includes all the things I love about My Hero Academia - incredible action, hilarious comedy and wonderful characters.

The story takes place between the second and third season of My Hero Academia, as Deku and All Might travel to the moving city, "I" Island, and must fight a villain who has taken the entire island hostage with the help of Deku's classmates.

An important aspect of this movie is the fact that it takes places in between seasons of My Hero Academia. So the question is, "Can you watch this without having seen the show?" I'd say it probably is ok if you aren't already following the show. The beginning of the movie is mostly exposition, so it explains everything you need to know to understand the world and the protagonist. However, the movie doesn't explain smaller elements of the show, such as how Deku got scars on his hand and why Deku is surprised by a character that uses a certain power. Those are things you would need to have seen the show to understand. However, it doesn't affect the story too much. Aside from Deku and All Might, no one's powers are specifically explained, yet they're shown in way that gives you a general idea of the power, which is kind of a downfall.

So first, animation. The show My Hero Academia already has fantastic animation, but this movie in particular looks amazing and that might be because of its budget. The fight scenes in the show were already amazing, yet the scale of the fights in this movie make them awesome. What impressed me was that I got scared during these fights, yet I knew the movie wouldn't connect to the main story. That's when you know an action scene is cool.

Probably my favorite aspect of My Hero Academia are the characters. Every character is well defined and unique, in powers, appearance and personality. Unfortunately, my favorite character isn't in the movie a whole lot, while my least favorite character is a main character in this movie. It didn't bother me too much though, because the other characters are so funny and likable.

I give this movie 5 out of 5 stars, mainly because I am a huge fan. If you are just starting to enjoy anime, then this is a great series to start with. I recommend it for ages 11 to 18. You should go see it even if you're not yet a fan.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh my....
cruzchristopher26 September 2018
The hype for this movie was a bit much for me but it was for a damn good reason. My Hero Academia two heroes proves that the superhero genre is nowhere near dead. A great addition to a beloved anime. This will be talked about for years to come. PLUS ULTRA!!!!
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best anime movie I've seen!
hotjosh-0863126 September 2018
This movie was amazing! Now, I know all you anime weebs out there LOVE A Silent Voice. (aka. the shape of voice) But, I'd feel guilty if I said that ASV was better. I'd even say it's the best movie I've seen in a while. If you have a chance to watch this movie. DO IT!!! (Iida is as funny as ever fyi)
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved It!!!
lisa-honeyplease1 October 2018
I loved every bit of this movie, it was a very enjoyable time in the theatre. I loved seeing all my favorite characters and the story was strong, which was the best part. So often anime movies are made and they're just filler for the show but I felt this movies was a treat for all the true fans. I want to see it again so bad, just so good.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Anyone can enjoy this movie
yooo-pyo27 September 2018
Last night I sat in a theater full of strangers but together we clapped and cheered during this great movie. Obviously if you've never seen the anime your connection to each character is shallow but wow you should check it out if you're lucky enough that its playing near you.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great addition to the series.
grabeeleverett27 September 2018
I went into this movie expecting good things. And i came out having seen now one of my favorite movies of all time. Everything was great: the comedy, the crazy action, and of course, the animation. This movie is an obvious must see for anime and manga fans aswell as outsiders.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hollow spectacle you will watch and forget very fast
ThatAnimeSnob3 August 2018
Like all filler movies of this kind, you shouldn't expect much in terms of plot or any meaningful character development. The premise is about the heroes going on a trip to an island where you can freely use your superpowers (something which is there just for convenience and doesn't have in-series logic). It's supposed to be a secret trip where only the main character and his mentor will take part in, but because of plot, his entire class is there as well all by accident. And also because of plot, a villain attacks when all are conveniently there to stop him.

The best way to enjoy the movie is to see it as a family friendly version of the first Die Hard movie, with a final showdown that doesn't end with a couple of punches (something the series is notorious for). But even then, you will have to wait a lot for the good part to begin, as almost half of it is wasted on flashbacks we have already seen and got sick of after a dozen times, as well an opening chase scene regarding a young Almight that served no purpose other than showing off the talent of the animation team.

The new characters introduced in the movie are an old friend of Almight (used for building some lazy dramatic revelation towards the end), the daughter of said friend (used only for rehashing the same cheap drama as Deku's backdrop, as well as being waifubait), and the leader of the baddies, a completely uninteresting one-dimensional villain you will forget as soon as the movie is over. I didn't like any of them.

The old characters are basically the whole class who just happen to be there and just happen to take part in taking out the baddies. They are just fan service, since they could be absent from the movie and nothing would be any different. In fact, the movie would be about half an hour shorter, since it wouldn't waste time on showing them repeating their one-character trait for the hundredth time, or fighting villains and robots that serve nothing as far as the plot is concerned. In fact, if they were absent, whatever plot there is in this stupid film would make more sense. The baddies wouldn't mysteriously need hours to get the mcguffin when they know where it is and how to open its safe, and Almight wouldn't magically recover his stamina in an instant for the final showdown, when he was struggling to maintain his bulky form for so long.

So if you break this movie into what it's about, you basically get a needless opening chase scene, a filler slice of life part where everyone repeats his one-character trait, a part where everyone fights minions and robots that serve no narrative purpose, and the final fight with a forgettable villain. At least said final fight is very rewarding if you want to see a dozen Detroit Smashes or whatever. But even then, don't go asking why the heroes never seem to get severe injuries despite the constant battering, or why a trinket can make a second class villain more powerful than All For One. It's just hollow spectacle you will watch and forget very fast.
46 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
To be honest, it was really disappointing
EasternZZ30 September 2018
Nothing really happens in this movie. There is barely a story, it is just the kids going into this building and spending at least 2/3 of the movie climbing the stairs. Seriously, I was very excited for this movie, but it was very boring and there was barely any action. I don't mind if it is actionless if the story was great or the characters had interesting things to say, but none of that happens in the movie. When I mention the kids climbing the stairs throughout this movie, I "literally" mean going from floor to floor.

Terrorist have taken over this tower and there are 200 floors. They climbs all the way up to the 200th floor, and we get to see it. The main villain is not developed at all. We know nothing about him or why he is doing this evil plan, only that he wants to sell this item he is after for money. It is all for money. There is also no real threat in this movie. No matter how badly the good guys get beaten up, they get up right after. There is a scene where the main bad guy does a very flashy and supposedly strongest attack he has against one of the main characters, and he does fall down looking like he is in danger, but he just gets up again and continues fighting like nothing happens.

This movie was a huge disappointment for me because once again I was expecting an interesting story with these characters but the movie was really boring. The banter back and forth was funny sometimes but also unfunny at other times. There is a cool premise with one of the superheroes starting to lose his powers, but it really doesn't go nowhere. Deku has the most development in this movie. His character actually goes through an arc and he comes out at the end of the movie a changed person. I guess All Might sort of has an arc too, but he spends about 75% of the movie on the floor tied up.

Overall if you are a super hardcore fan of the series, you may like this movie, but you will still have to agree that not a lot of stuff was happening. It is just a bunch of the kids climbing the stairs until they can get to floor 200 to stop the terrorist. Terrible main bad guy, silly twist that had me rolling my eyes, only one cool action scene and that is at the very end (although you can't really tell what is happening because there are so many things flying around), very boring and long middle act, and overall a boring and uninteresting story.

12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AGAGHAHAGGA!!!
remidoo3 October 2018
I went to see this movie a few days ago because me and my friend are huge fans. I was knocked out of my seat. There was so much humor the whole theater was laughing. The ending scene was very well put together (Minor spoiler I guess idk). If you can go see it, GO SEE IT!!! Honestly now this is my favorite movie. It was a little difficult to read the subtitles and watch the movie, so I would recommend going to see dub. If your a total sub no dub like me, ScREw that and go watch SUB!!!
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not worth the hype for a filler
vikrantbhadauria-6979824 January 2019
This movie was nothing but a filler it would have been better if they didn't realease it in the first time as it wouldn't have made any difference.....I don't see any point of this movie how it effects the main story...but still it was good to see all might in one piece
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Might be exaggerating
buitronedward28 September 2018
Loved this movie sooooo much I would advise you to watch this alone on blu Ray when it's out saw this with many weebs and cringed a lot lol
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BEST ANIME EVER
greyes8223 October 2018
This movie was so well balanced. I'd buy this movie if cost $50, that's how much I loved it! I'm going to get a tattoo of plus ultra!
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good.
invisibleunicornninja12 October 2018
I'm a fan of the show. I don't think that its as great as everyone says it is, its a bit cheesy and stupid at times, but overall its well written and animated. I have a lot of fun watching it. That being said, this movie is a high-budget arc of the show. It fits in with the show, while remaining a self-contained story.

Overall, the plot is fairly straightforward with some twists and turns. There are a few annoying moments where they add in some flashbacks from early episodes of the show so that people who haven't seen the show knows what's going on. It slows down the beginning a bit, but at least it doesn't take up too much time, and is ultimately beneficial for the audience. There isn't too much unnecessary fan service, but most of the main characters that are on the island are only on the island so that fans wouldn't be upset that their favorite character wasn't in the movie. I didn't really mind it too much, as most of the scenes where they show irrelevant characters were still fun and entertaining. The ridiculous coincidences did have some of the audience laughing and yelling out in annoyance. Honestly some of it was more ironically funny, but at least everyone was entertained.

I saw this movie in a theater, and unfortunately that meant I had to watch the English dub. I've never saw the English dub of BNHA before now, and I'm sad to report that it is terrible. The only voice actors that were good were for Bakugo, the villain, and maybe one or two other characters. Some scenes weren't as impactful for me because I was laughing at the bad acting, but the writing and everything else was still pretty great. Also the sound design was perfect.

The animation in this movie was amazing. There is some cg in some of the fight scenes, and it looks great. The amount of effort that went into animating every frame is impressive. While there are one or two annoying wide angles where the characters had no faces, there are no frozen images in this movie. Everything moves. Also, there are several complex moving shots that look like they weren't aided by cg and it looks great. Also also, in every scene whenever characters are moving, ALL OF THEIR HAIR MOVES NATURALLY WITH THEM AND ITS NOT CG AND IT LOOKS AMAZING. Watching this on the big screen was definitely a treat.

Overall, I would recommend this movie even if you don't like the show. Its a fun action/thriller/comedy. While not particularly clever, and featuring some annoying tropes like "I'm not telling you why something is happening to protect you" overall its really funny (especially when you view everything it does wrong as a joke) its pretty good.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty much standard fare, but good original content
yeolit10 February 2019
Pretty much the whole normal hero fights villains plotline, but in America, where All Might's past was shed a bit.

Wise of the production team to only choose a portion of Class A to feature in this film since putting all into a movie time would be too much to cover, and there is pretty good coverage of all to show their skills and quirks.

Overall an excellent film worth watching for any Boku no Academia fan and great for a non-fan to catch the main series.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ooooooooh
amthedragon27 March 2019
In short it is the movie i enjoyed the most in ma life i don't know how people gave it less than 10
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's perfect...as a Multi-Part Episode of the TV series! Less so as a movie.
zombiefan8917 March 2019
The biggest issue I had with the movie was the music. I love "You Say Run" and all but I was really hoping they'd spice it up, add more strings and trumpets. The same with the Theme of All Might. In the movie, you see All Might in his prime in a flash back. All Might at his BEST! But they just use the same music from the TV show for literally the entire movie. I could be wrong, but I think I heard only one new track in the entire movie, when we got an establishment shot of Deku's arrival on the Island. Overall, it was your standard probably Non-Canon TV Show-Movie. It happened, and to my knowledge was never brought up on the TV show, except in a forth wall breaking promo for the movie after one of the season three episodes.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No words. Simply Awesome. PLUS ULTRAAAAA !!!!!
sagarmandal-9659416 March 2019
I am amazed at watching this Movie. Easily one of the all time favorite movie for me. Adrenaline rush, shouting, jumping on my seat, feeling lost in the movies just name it. I feel this is the first time in the whole series where they have justified Midoriya's existence as the successor of All Might! Loved the movie. I just wish there are many more seasons and movies to come for My Hero Academia.
This Movie was great
seidimeri-6072415 February 2019
I liked everything about this movie. The atmosphere, the soundtracks, fighting scenes, animations, story ... everything was on point. Can't wait to see season 4 of my hero academia.
MUST watch for MHA fans
drazhi14 February 2019
So much HYPE this movie. I had goosebumps at the climax, one of my top favorite movies of all time now. Must watch
I put 1 star to balance out al those MHA fanboys
lol_lx11 October 2018
This movie is overhyped to high heaven smh. It was a dissapointment so dont even bother with the 10 star reviews. Nothings happens the entire movie and it's on filler level of quality. Overall it's a solid 5/10
7 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Plus Ultra!
aliabbasr5 December 2018
Movie is extremely enjoyable and well paced, not a dull moment in sight. Seeing fan favourite characters on the big screen with smooth well animated designs is a joy. Usually anime movies are filler just used to develop another story line but this movie firmly felt like it was a part of the main series and followed a sensible timeline. The fight scenes in this movie are the most well done and enjoyable scenes in the entire series, beautifully animated and sound production is also top notch. The new characters feel fleshed out and have actual personality.

Overall great watch, and a must see.

Plus Ultra!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must be watched
alfaress6 October 2018
One of the best sor far. All the characters are Amazing and the story is just perfect.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
just watch it if you havn't
chakravortysuvo2 April 2019
This movie is like a fresh breath among the superhero genre...there are gems even outside the Marvel and DC uNIVERSE. we just have to find them. Plus Ultra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you're looking for hostage's management, don't watch this movie
chuckman-162905 November 2018
So, seriously, what the hell? After the terrorists made everyone in the island hostages, I couldn't believe that they didn't even blackmailed the heroes of killing them, like, seriously? You let the students go all the way up in your tower (beating your robots/crew) without killing any of the hostages you have? You could easily have stopped them. This was by far the biggest downfall of this movie imo, it made almost everything lose its meaning.

Another downfall is that the presence of the Midoroya's class in his trip with All Might is justified in a laughable way: they are there because the plot says so, as the terrorist will conveniently attack the insland at this moment. Kind reminds me of Vegeta's appearance in Janemba movie (Dragon ball).

And lastly, let's not forget All Might's magic power up in the final fight (with a forgettable villian I must add) just because of his class motivation lol. Man, that was such a cheap way to "fix" the plot.

There are even more cliches here and there, but I just wanted to show the major ones.

Why I'm giving 5/10? Because the movie has it's good points: the animation is on point, it has funny jokes, some ok battles, we saw All might's past and got some extra trivial info about the Boku no Hero's universe.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.