Breaking News in Yuba County (2021) Poster

Not boring, with a good story and surprises.
ThomDerd13 February 2021
At first i was reluctant to watch this mostly because of the title of the film, but I m glad i did. It's a fun film. The concept is not new but the story is actually good with plenty of twists and surprises coupled with some good acting by the female lead and the cast overall. Runtime is sufficient and the pace of the film is good, making it easy to watch. Maybe a bit more violent than you would expect but maybe also a bit more funny than you would expect; the film does not try to take itself that serious. If you are looking for a fun, multi-faceted story with the protagonists getting more and more entangled as it progresses and toppled with some dark humour, then give it a go. 7/10
54 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crazy, wonky story done with just the right amount of silliness
joscon-1661613 February 2021
From the weird haircuts to the crazy coincidences to the horrible dullness of every day life, this movie is quite the roller coaster. It was very entertaining IMO. It wont win any Oscars but its nice to have something thats both dark and funny all at once.
23 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A hidden gem,, just the right mixture of cray and fun
vovers119 February 2021
A dark comedy with lots of little twists to keep you amused from start to finish. The whole crew delivers with just enough cray in the story line to make it not too serious.
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SO much better than expected...
nomad0121 February 2021
This is an offbeat, dark comedy. Every actor here plays their part so well and Janney is awesome as usual.

It's maybe not as clever as some films with a similar tone but it's engaging, it's funny, it's violent and it's acted well. It's well worth 90 minutes of anyone's time.
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highly under-appreciated gem of a movie, by Tate Taylor
prashanta_guha16 February 2021
I am becoming more and more of a fan of Tate Taylor (The Help).

This movie is set in a low-key area, with high-stakes. The cast, location, acting are all point on, and comedy intertwines with crime in suburban American like you've rarely seen. The closest thing I've watched akin to this was 'A Simple Favor.'

I simply do not get the metacritic ratings, and the low average of 5.4 (at the time of this writing.)

Go watch this gem of a movie.
27 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable thriller
jkt20063 April 2021
Allison Janney rocks yet again. This time as.in a different kind of character not seen before. The movie begins with her being a simple wife who is not even enough self assertive to begin with...and then...Good script leading to an entertaining thriller that is thoroughly enjoyable. Good direction by Tate Taylor. I enjoyed her last thriller AVA which was the reason I decided to watch this one and she does not disappoint.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a Fun Ride through Yuba with Allison Janney at the Wheel.
scottagreen14 February 2021
It's always fun to see an all-star cast come together for a film project. This cast is no exception. Allison Janney finally gets her well-deserved leading role as Sue Buttons in this small-town crime caper that goes wrong.

It's Sue's birthday, but no one has remembered, not her news reporting sister, Nancy (Mila Kunis), her cheating husband, Karl (Matthew Modine), nor any of her co-workers. After Sue catches her husband in an affair, he dies from shock, leaving Sue with an opportunity to finally get some long overdue attention after hiding his body and claiming he was kidnapped. However, the attention she draws comes from a suspicious and relentless cop (Regina Hall), local criminals (Awkwafina & Clifton Collins Jr.), the disgruntled mistress (Bridget Everett) and a flashy talk show hostess (Juliette Lewis) attempting to exploit her for a story. One wrong choice begins a domino effect of mishaps, mayhem and a trail of dead bodies.

Jimmi Simpson and Wanda Sykes team up to provide some comic relief and a madcap sub-plot as Sue's brother-in-law (Petey) and his boss (Rita) who set out to rescue Karl from the non-existent kidnappers.

The story is fun and the characters are engaging but it's difficult to label this adventure. It's promoted as a madcap comedy, but it's unexpected twists take a very dark turn and delivers a violent, dark, comic, crime-caper instead.

The performances are strong and memorable, but plot is a bit complicated and complex. All in all, it's a fun ride through Yuba County with Allison Janney at the wheel.

Parents be warned, the R rating is well earned for excessive language, brief nudity and violence.
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
fun to watch
roger-schaubs14 February 2021
This film is a little all over the place but in a good way. Good acting together with a constantly changing story makes a very decent film.
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can you put your t!t away?
fatref3504 March 2021
Hilarious dark comedy! Terrific lines (like the one used as the title for this review.) Janney excellent, but the stars were the supporting players: Awkwafina, Wanda Sykes, Ellen Barkin, Juliette Lewis and especially Bridgette Everett, who tore her scenes to shreds and owned this movie in limited action. If you don't normally enjoy this genre, you will either not like this movie or simply won't get it. If you do, enjoy the sarcasm, satire, and mean- spirited fun. Don't laugh too loud - you'll miss some great lines!
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm not sure why critics hate this one
stklaus19 February 2021
This is a light black slapstick comedy, which runs low-key, nothing spectacular, but is never boring. The humour and the film is driven by its entangled plot, for once it doesn't comprise laugh-out-loud, gross (there is some violence) or forced jokes, no, it's the satiric story that is fun and entertaining.

Since lots of people are involved, I give you some story infos for an easier watch (which won't spoil anything):

Her (A.Janney) husband Karl (M. Modine), a banker, was involved in money laundering and now ows money to the bad guys. Her brother Pete (J. Simpson) seemed to do some robbery and is also involved with the bad guys coincidentally. Her sister (Mila Kunis) works for a small TV station.

After lots and lots of bad comedies this was a surprise; maybe it's a bit harsh with American lifestyle, thats why they hated it(?)
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
life in yuba county...
ops-5253515 February 2021
Wont be the same after this , brilliantly made heck of a nitwork of a dark crime comedy, made for nearly everyone . the acting from the pretty star spangled cast are just amazing at all levels, and when you come over such a combination of fawlty towers and recently made arizona at a pretty human real life level you shouldnt miss that.

its the complexity of a clusterred mind that drives the story, the storyplotters has done an amazing job, giving us jump scare and shock and awe moments outta nothing. so do as the grumpy old man and better half did, tune in on breaking news in yuba county its real and its good.
17 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just the kind of heisty, double-cross fun-fest you want to see
leesimon-2635721 February 2021
Firstly, the cast is fantastic. It is acted incredibly well, and the characters are people you either definitely root for, or definitely don't. In fact, I would think that depending on who you root for, some of the double-crosses and twists might upset you more than others. The story is very original and there are no huge plot holes, or disappointing things left unanswered. The dialogue is also well written, and believable. This is also very, very funny, and the violence is not over the top. There is more suggested violence, than actual gore (as in, the camera pulls away, though you know what is happening on screen.) I absolutely loved this film, and I will definitely see it again. Highly recommended.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty awesome movie
LisaFogle21 February 2021
This movie was surprisingly good from start to finish. The cast was great. The acting was great. The story was actually well thought out and it was one of those movies you need to watch all of it so you don't miss any part of the plot. I highly recommend this one and I'm pretty picky.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A gold mine
cekadah21 February 2021
If you really love dark humor with oddball characters this film is a gold mine! I'm sure the 'general public' won't tune-in to the flavor of this story but for me it is perfect.

Casting, script, editing all top notch. It's best to watch first then read about it. Then you'll want to watch again.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark comedy with smart and forced moments in equal proportion
abisio17 February 2021
A completely ignored and insecure woman catch her husband in an affair but he dies of the shock. Instead of reporting the natural dead she hides the corpse and her husband disappearance to obtain media attention and popularity. Some violent criminals, 3M lost and a very obnoxious police woman made things more complicated and violent.

Basically the movie is a dark comedy; and cruel a satire on media crap and selfishness.

This is mostly a women show. Allison Janney is great; but her character; while very smart in handling most of the situations; does sometimes very absurd decisions solved by forcing to "out of the hat" resolutions; like in the final act.

Awkwafina; in less written character; as the very bad girl; is terrifying and fun in equal parts. Wanda Sykes is also a great fun to watch.

The rest of the cast does its job correctly and keep the comedy going on until a satisfying but somehow forced end.

In brief; it is worth your time
14 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun
Gordon-116 April 2021
I think the story is quite fun. Even though the lead character is crooked, you still feel for her.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Return of the Classic Nineties Indie
simon-162014 February 2021
During the nineties there was a certain type of indie movie that hit that sweet spot for murder, mayhem and a ridiculous but clever storyline. Movies such as Clay Pigeons and Happy Texas to name just two of many. Breaking News in Yuba County brings those great memories back with a bang. With a super cast including the very under appreciated Allison Janney, Juliette Lewis, Ellen Barkin, Matthew Modine and Regina Hall, BNYC provides all the ingredients of a great body count murder mess up. Yuba County is apparently not that well known in California, it should be now. Highly Recommended.
13 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good time humor
amandajean-1169424 February 2021
This movie has its share of laughs and drama. Great and enjoyable watch. Pay attention or you will miss a detail easy.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty funny meditation on how we allow media to controll us
douglasp15 February 2021
This movie probably won't last long in your memory but it is pretty funny while you're watching it.

The basic plot is a woman who feels invisible decides to use her husband's death from a heart attack as a means to gain fame and recognition.

But what the movie is really about is how media, instead of bringing us together, makes us feel insignificant and how, basically, we are all controlled by how we imagine we would appear on TV.

All of the performances are fine. The writing is pretty good. The characters act absurdly but they are supposed to. And the movie is only a little over 90 minutes!
14 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In the style of the Coen brothers.
deloudelouvain20 February 2021
If you like movies from the Coen brothers I can only recommend you watch Breaking News In Yuba Country. It's definitely the same style, I even thought for a second they made it. It's clear director Tate Taylor and writer Amanda Idoko are fans of the Coen brothers, and to be honest I don't get who wouldn't be. But apparently after reading some negative reviews there're still people that can't recognize quality story writing. This movie has it all, a bit of comedy, a bit of crime and suspense, and a bit of drama. It's the perfect mixture, with a good plot and more than decent acting and that from the whole cast. I'm a fan and I won't be the only one, and I'm sure the Coen brothers will enjoy this movie as well.
11 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Edvis-199718 February 2021
Like,people,come on. How this Gem has only 5.4 Imdb and such low Metascore. I've never laugh so many times in like two years watching comedy. Yeah, I get it look like absurd and parodyt of movie but that what it is. It was really interesting to watch, it had so many plot twists, main character did amazing work. The best comedy of this year, hands down.
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deserves more credit
jakethesnake-4200721 March 2021
Every once in a while a movie comes out that flys under the radar that's really good and no one talks about and this is that movie. Crazy bonkers from start to finish. It's not amazing and it's maybe a little too bonkers at times but it's a fun film.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
tour de force from Allison Janney
digdog-785-71753818 February 2021
It's weird how most bad films always seem to start out with a few - totally not paid for - reviews calling it excellent. But for some reason the opposite happened here .Breaking News In Yuba County is an absolutely excellent film that for some reason, has a very low rating.

Breaking News is the story of .. one character, Sue Buttons (Allison Janney). Caught in a difficult situation she is absolutely not prepared for, she tries to navigate it as best as she can, with .. uneven results.

A tightly-wound film in the style of Fargo, the focus here is the strength of the characters, and the stellar acting by Janney.

I normally write reviews of films which include spoilers, but i will not spoil this for you; please watch Breaking News, it is a very strong, very unique film that deserves your time. Even Mila Kunis managed to not suck in this film, and that should be all i need to tell you.

My vote: 8/10 - goofy crime comedrama packed with absurd characters.
8 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absurdly good!
ivantheeditor9 June 2021
I've said it before and I'll say it again - Allison Janey is a national treasure! That woman is great in every role - no matter how big or small it is. You can tell she's really in it for the joy of acting.

And as far as this movie goes - you seriously need to watch it. It's an hour and a half of ridiculous absurdity which feels a little too real to me - like this could actually happen for real but then nah... I don't know. Just watch it already!!!! It's so good!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Uneasy Mix of Comedy and Drama
benjithehunter23 April 2021
An overlooked, lonely woman catches her husband having an affair which gives him a heart attack and kills him and, instead of calling the police, she decides to bury the body and tell everyone he's missing, making her a local celebrity.

The concept of Breaking News in Yuba County is a strong one and director, Tate Taylor, has assembled an enviable group of fantastic actors to bring these characters to life, but the tone keeps veering in between comic farce and gritty, violent drama and they never meet in the middle in a satisfying way. The violence feels like something from an entirely different movie and the comedy, which I'm sure read as more farcical on the page, is played too straight to manage more than a chuckle or two from the audience.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.