Kate (2021) Poster

(I) (2021)

When Life Hands You Boom Boom Lemons
MogwaiMovieReviews10 September 2021
There's actually a lot more to like in this new Netflix offering than one would expect: Mary Elizabeth Winstead makes a surprisingly capable action heroine, and the fight scenes are very well-staged and exciting. She goofs enough times, and faces enough adversity, to protect her from any accusations of being a Mary-Sue, and as a result we buy into her journey an awful lot more than we would a Rey, a Captain Marvel or Black Widow.

The dialogue is all filler, and the plot almost a carbon copy of better action films like John Wick, Lucy, Kill Bill, Hanna, Nikita and The Long Kiss Goodnight, but the Tokyo setting and nighttime cinematography look great, and all the actors pull off their roles pretty much faultlessly.

All in all, very predictable and containing nothing original of any kind, but a well-made and decent-enough popcorn-muncher if you're in the mood.
281 out of 339 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You've seen it before just not in this combo
sibleybridges10 September 2021
This was a La Femme Nikita/DOA situation filtered though live action anime with touches of the current slate of action movies like Atomic Blonde, Hardcore Henry, The Raid, and John Wick.

I guess I don't get the critics being harsher on this than any other action movie of late. Stuff happens. Action happens. Some more stuff happens. Some more action happens. It's a fun romp that dosnt outstay it's welcome. And you get to see a unique fight haircut.
159 out of 200 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun movie despite predictable plot
Movi3DO10 September 2021
Shoot them in the stomach. They die slow, in agony, and they know, it's personal.

A brand new original Netflix movie starring Woodie Harrelson and Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

Stylistically this movie was awesome. Tokyo at night looked vibrant with many colorful neon anime characters. There's a lot of pink, especially in the car chase scene. That was some amazing camera work and reminded me a bit of Baby Driver. Also, the music hyped up the movie throughout.

This led to the violent and entertaining fight scenes. This gave some John Wick vibe with some creative use of weapons. In these scenes Mary Winstead was a total badass showing brutality when she kills. She carried every scene and I loved her performance.

The biggest problem of the movie was that I could see 99% of the movie from a mile away. Honestly this didn't affect me as much as it should because I loved the style and action a lot.

Overall, an enjoyable flick despite the predictable story. 7.5/10.
168 out of 222 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
By the Numbers Netflix Movie
mumblesh12 September 2021
So ok this is my take. Every year the big studios are handed scripts, many scripts and many are rejected. How many scripts with the whole "trained assassin" have we seen? Netflix must get thousands with the same bloody main plot, and reject them. Warner Bros, Sony probably do too and keep maybe 2 out of a hundred. Netflix, on the other hand, get (say) a hundred of these assassin scripts and keep 50, and seemingly work through them making movies to fill a need. They love them. They tolerate much more, lame and average scripts, than you would expect a movie studio to... but then they are essentially a TV station, and have more time to fill.

This film is your typical double-hard assassin movie. Well made - I like the lead and supporting cast - plus it looks good, is watchable, but ultimately is generic and predictably unoriginal. The plot will have no surprises, and will be the least interesting aspect, but it won't offend you too much either. Maybe as a slightly older person, I have seen too many movies like this to be involved and excited by it. Were I half my age, with less experience of such film, I might have better things to say. As it stands, if you like this kind of assassin getting revenge movie, you'll have a good time. Just do not expect anything new here.
89 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another unorginal NETFLIX Original
mhorg201821 September 2021
So here we have a hit woman raised since a kid (a rip on the far better KITE). She's poisoned and has a day to live. (D. O. A. And the crummy crank series, in a way). Who, on the way to 'avenging' herself, hooks up with a kid (KITE again) who she sees as herself if she hadn't been raised to be a killer. The action scenes are ok, the acting is decent but the story line is oh so tired.
26 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mary Elizabeth Winstead comes that little bit closer to a favourite
matty_mushroom198310 September 2021
Majority credit to her ability to feel her role, to empathise with the story and deliver humanity through her character. She was just as impressive in Fargo, where I first encountered her. It takes true talent to convince ME that your character is simultaneously cold blooded and warm hearted.

As for the flick itself, the action is real enough in that the protagonist displays the ability to f-s-up but will fumble with fatigue and sickness, misjudge enough to be outweighed by an opponent not necessarily of an equal skill set.

The usual sacrifice of substantial plot and believability of her opponents' characters remains as with any martial arts snd/or action flick, which isn't necessarily something to frown upon. In fact if the opposite were the case it would be an instant 10 stars.
86 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
4 Stars goes to Tokyo
LanaCassi10 September 2021
Japan really is the heavy-lifter here, the only thing that kept me watching until the end. Beyond this, what a mess. Starts off fairly intriguing but descends at about halfway with no redemption.

One of those movies where I was mad at myself for watching the whole thing.
121 out of 188 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything new is old again
siderite10 September 2021
The world works in a kind of spiral, where everything 30 years ago becomes popular again, with small alterations. Kate is a story of a perfect assassin, betrayed and raising hell in the name of vengeance as poison is slowly killing her. Stylish, with Japanese neo-noir design, involving the Yakuza and greedy Westerners, it is a return to the 90s stories, where lone gunmen (people?) were dealing their own brand of justice in a corrupt and decadent world full of greed and inequality. Of course, the main character is female now, but you've seen this film before, a few times perhaps, and everything is pretty standard.

What shines trough the bland plot is the acting of Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who singlehandedly carries the film through. In fact, every other actor is an extra in the plot anyway, so she either made this film work or not. And it works. Kudos also to Jun Kunimura, who can, with a slight adjustment of body posture and a couple of facial expressions, tell an entire story in a second.

Bottom line: a predictable story from start to finish, but made well and acted well. Ridiculous body count which could have, with small changes to the plot, be significantly reduced and the time gained spent on storytelling.
93 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fooled again by number 1 on Netflix.
Sleepin_Dragon13 September 2021
Why do I do it, why do I always think that the number one choice is going to be good, it never is, and there's a good example of it here.

Kate has 24 hours to get revenge on those that poisoned her, that's literally the plot, that start is followed by the most improbable, crazy fight sequences you will ever see.

It goes on a bit, it looks pretty good, I loved the visuals, but that's the best element, the story is wafer thin, it lacks any sort of heart.

Good acting, Mary Elizabeth Winstead is cracking, I am a big fan, sadly Woody isn't around for much, and that's a real shame.

All in all, another disappointing film on Netflix, 5/10.
47 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big dumb fun...
gillespiesan10 September 2021
What can I say, I'm a sucker for the recent slew of female bad ass movies, from the sublime - Atomic Blonde, Ava - to the less impressive - Anna comes to mind. Kate falls neatly in the middle somewhere, extremely enjoyable while you're watching it nut ultimately forgettable. But that's how it should be for a movie like this, right?

Mary Elizabeth Winstead has always been a favourite of mine and Woody Harrelson is always good value. Add some nice night time Tokyo scenery - Tokyo being where I'm living so all very familiar - and buckets of blood and you have an entertaining way to pass 90 minutes of so.
110 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forgettable
skniazi710 September 2021
Couple of good action scenes and that's about it. Another waste opportunity in the done to death female assassin genre.
95 out of 156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This week's female assassin
jackbaumel11 September 2021
I have a major crush on Winsted. Having said that, good fights, bad cgi car chase. Watchable.
51 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You can see who's the bad guy from the moon 10 minutes in
draftdubya21 September 2021
The guy from the Screen Rant channel on You Tube was 100% right about Netflix. They can't say NO to anything. For a movie to be #1 on Netflix, all it needs are two known actors and that's it.
18 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable, derivative, uninspired
kuner-5902910 September 2021
The second female John Wick rip off in just a month. Based on the trailer I had somewhat high hopes for this one, daring to believe it would deliver some classic John Woo style heroic bloodshed. Yet it's another letdown, just like Jolt, Atomic Blonde, The Protégé and so many others.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead does a fine job as the lead, but shares no chemistry with the kid she's saddled with. A lot of the Japanese actors sleepwalk through their roles, except for the big boss and the effeminate one. Woody Harrelson does his bit and is reliable as ever, even if he doesn't have much to work with.

The photography was unexpectedly dull, the use of music often didn't work, and worse, a lot of the kicks and punches lacked precision and speed. MEW has the acting chops, but isn't a fighter. They would need someone like Gina Carano or some MMA fighter to pull this off convincingly.

Another aspect these John Wick and Crank ripoff movies lack is fun. While John Wick's humor was found mostly in its timing or interactions, and Crank was just an all out cartoon, these new movies don't seem to understand their own genre. They play it straight when they shouldn't, and wink at the audience in a completely self-oblivious manner, as in "haha, aren't we outrageous?". John Wick or Crank never tried to trick the audience into thinking they're watching something edgy. The outrageous scenes happened naturally within the context of the story. The tonality of the humor fit the story.

Kate is a tonal mess, switching from gory dismemberment to J-Pop music to Kate coming to terms with her life ending and scenes of bonding and redemption, to wanna be Japanese crime drama to total schlock again. It feels like a movie put together by a committee checking off boxes instead of a singular artistic vision.

Darn shame. A generous 5/10 for gorehounds and fans of the genre. You can certainly do worse, but you can do a whole lot better, too.
65 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get this girl some Boom Boom Lemon.
atarian-4239512 September 2021
Someone get this girl a Boom Boom Lemon please. Such a simple request.
43 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wanted: Capable Writers
Tweetienator27 September 2021
Well shot, some good fight and action scenes, solid acting, and a fine performance by Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Why no higher rating? Simple, the story is predictable, generic and sometimes even tiresome (scenes with dialogue), all ideas are known and borrowed from other movies. Also the running time is in my view too long, the longer the movie run the more I felt rather bored. What else we can deduce from Kate? The universe needs a new species of writers, pronto please.
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Good Action
Drfilmes-212717 September 2021
Acting was alright music is very good.

Mary Elizabeth is impressive i liked her Character a lot.

We can say this is the female Version of John wick

And dude if u like Action ur gonna love this !

+ i have to say Kate is real Bad ass.

Love the movie.

Recommended For everyone Enjoy it.
31 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My review got deleted... Why? Was it because I said this was bad?!
lareval13 September 2021
Well, I'll say It again: this is a bad movie. It has nothing new to tell, it's predictable, Mary Elizabeth Winstead deserves way better than this and the whole concept is a female converted rip-off from 'Crank', 'John Wick' or 'Atomic Blonde' done wrong.

Now I'm wondering what happened to my original review posted on September 10th right after watching the movie and that had some repercussion with aprox 70 users out of 130 found it useful. Why it got deleted? Was an accident? Or are we in a time in which we cannot say respectfully why we don't like some movies than others enjoy? It was my most useful review to date. Anyway... Here It is again. Let's see if this one gets deleted to...
28 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Copy/paste reassembly of Crank and and like films
r0cko72311 September 2021
Essentially, a repackaging of better/more original action flicks, like Crank, John Wick, Edge of Darkness, La Femme Nikita, even Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. Its a pastiche of themes from those flicks with a female lead. The cinematography is very good, but despite all of the stylized gore, it's a bore. Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Woody Harrelson are fine actors, but their best work is in other movies. They make do with what they've got.
50 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a movie, but a fairy tale
golantrevaiz11 September 2021
Imagine that Navalny or Litvinenko, after being poisoned, grabbed a pistol and ran to take revenge on the one who poisoned them. Sounds crazy? But here the whole film is built on this. When Kate need to deal with enemies, the main character turns into a terminator, while enemies throw pistols or shoot anywhere, just not at the heroine. When the enemies are defeated, then Kate can remember about the poisoning, roll her eyes, vomit in the sink and wrap herself in a bandage, because the skin falls off. Silly movie. Even bloody scenes do not save it.
44 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Put 'DOA', 'John Wick', 'Nikita' and 'Crank' in a blender and you get 'Kate'
Tweekums19 October 2021
From childhood Kate has been trained to be the perfect assassin. In the opening scenes we see her take out a member of the Yakuza in Osaka in front of his brother and daughter. Ten months later she is in Tokyo and still bothered about the girl witnessing the killing and wants to quit. Of course she will have to undertake one final mission. This doesn't go to plan and she lets the target live. She chases the target but crashes her car. In hospital she learns that she had been poisoned before the job got underway. There is no chance of survival; she has about twenty four hours to find the person responsible and get her revenge.

It is fair to say this film is fairly derivative; the central premise comes from the classic film noir 'DOA' but by having our lead an assassin out for a revenge, rather than an ordinary person, we get treated to lots of 'John Wick' style action as she works her way to her target... original no but highly entertaining if you like that sort of thing. The action is suitably varied as people are shot, stabbed and in once case decapitated with a samurai sword! This is all impressively choreographed. The action is pretty violent with plenty of blood being spilt and some fairly unpleasant injuries shown. The story is fairly predictable with twists that anybody familiar with this sort of film will see a mile off; that didn't matter for me though as the action doesn't let up long enough to give you time to worry about such things. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is really impressive as Kate; making the action seem believable. Woody Harrelson is solid as her mentor, even though he gets less screen time than one might hope for and Miku Martineau is likable as Ani, the daughter of the man she kills in the opening scene and later gets caught up in Kate's revenge operation. The Tokyo setting is great; I'm glad they had Japanese characters talking in subtitled Japanese rather than having them speak English as would probably have been the case had it been made a few years ago. Overall I'd definitely recommend this to fans of the genre.
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
worst movie ive seen in a hot minute
ivasilyev-4706612 September 2021
Sad to see some obvious bots rating this a 10/10. Its just really really bad. Worst of all are the sad moments forced on the audience. Characters are as bland as they can be. Action is bad except for one scene. The plot is a complete mess where it feels that the writers had to rethink their decisions halfway through filming. Last time i gave a Netflix original a chance.
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good fast paced action movie.
danyb5510 September 2021
No surprises here. An enjoyable revenge action movie well done where Mary Elizabeth Winstead is pulling her weight in a quite convincing way. Action and fighting scenes are good although a tad over the top. A very entertaining pop corn movie.
66 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good bloody fighting scenes.
deloudelouvain29 November 2021
As an action movie Kate is a good movie and certainly worth a watch. That's if your okay with a predictable plot and some exaggerated scenes like a woman beating twenty Yakuza all by herself. It's fast paced and never boring and the acting is more than decent. Mary Elizabeth Winstead gave a convincing performance. As for Woody Harrelson he's more a poster filler as he didn't have that much scenes but the once he was in were of course top. I always liked that actor. The best thing about the movie are the fighting scenes, and there are a lot of those, it's all very well choreographed and executed. Bloody violent as well, and it all looked quite realistic. That alone made me have a nice popcorn movie night. Kate is for the fans of that genre.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a good story with an excellent execution
Artwi527 November 2021
Well the character is attractive and enticing enough for me, the story development is also reasonable with the character and yet you can put your empathy out there for every scene and knowing why they did that, overall as long as you try to feel what they felt, it will be a really good story.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.