Stuber (2019) Poster

(2019)

fun movie!
nyodoko4 October 2019
A perfect light evening filler where I laughed a lot. Bautista and Nanjinani worked great together. A movie I would probably watch again, which I can not say a lot these days.
75 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny movie with some action
nicduffy3 October 2019
Worth watching, not sure why there is so much hate for this movie. We enjoyed it.
69 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An entertaining buddy cop film with a witty script n crispy editing.
Fella_shibby26 June 2020
An Uber driver is forced to drive around town by a cop who is unable to drive or shoot straight due to temporary blindness. While one is obsessed with 5 star ratings, the other one is obsessed to nab a deadly drug lord. The film is very entertaining. Kumail Nanjiani and Dave Bautista r terrific. The film has genuine hilarious situations n one liners. The script is witty n the film fast paced. As a fan of Iko Uwais, I am disappointed with his screen footage n his unnecessary dyed hair but his martial arts rocks. The film has few hand to hand combat n some bloody shootouts.
42 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why the negativity? Everybody had fun tonight
khushpreetsarnobat1 August 2019
Okay, the movie has been out for a while but the theater was decently filled. Granted, the story is not very original but it had some good action scenes and everybody in the audience was laughing and laughing and laughing. In the end I found it entertaining and funny and I liked both main characters.
80 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Marketing Almost Killed This
ThomasDrufke1 August 2019
There are many reasons to be grateful for movie theater subscription cards, but the biggest one is that I find myself checking out movies I wouldn't normally have gone to see, mainly due to poor marketing. Stuber is the common case of an awful marketing campaign that turned out to be a pretty solid summer buddy film, with two rising stars in Hollywood in Nanjiani & Bautista. It borrows from many buddy-cop classics but their chemistry is enough to put some of the comedy that falls flat over the edge and bring some laugh out loud moments to the forefront. Granted, there were many big comedic scenes that were in the trailer, but that's inevitable in this day and age, and shows you even further how poor the marketing was for the film. It won't make enough money, but I could have definitely gone for more entries into this series with Bautista & Nanjiani.

6.9/10
37 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you're wondering why....
nnom2 October 2019
....it's a 6 instead of 7.6, it's because a bunch of people expected it to be an action fest where Bautista was the toughest guy in the room. They were disappointed. Too bad. Very decent flick, Kumail funny as always, Bautista showing some range, nice, good supporting characters...formulaic a bit? Sure. But worth watching, action, comedy, you could definitely do worse.
46 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dave and Kumail go for a spin
nicholasgiardino20 September 2019
What is the the best team for extreme violence mixed with cynical wisecracking comedy? The answer is Bautista and Nanjinani in the new off beat comedy Stuber. I recommend it, but it's not a kiddy movie.
34 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eehhh
mm-4244414 July 2019
It wasn't as funny as I thought it was going to be. It still made me laugh though. It had some heartfelt moments also. I wouldn't call this a must see but maybe if you don't mind cheesy comedy and don't take things too seriously it can be enjoyed. It was fun with the fam.
74 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stop putting all the jokes in the trailers.
DeadMansTrousers13 July 2019
This isn't a bad movie in by any standards but for me it was one of those movies that suffered heavily from the use of over-advertising. There were at least 4 different trailers for this movie including the "red band" trailer so by the time I got around to actually watching the movie I had already heard a lot of the jokes that the film had to offer.

The action scenes were entertaining enough and Iko Uwais did an amazing job with his fight scenes as always. For what it is this movie is enjoyable I just wish they would stop putting all the jokes in the trailers.
54 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't be so harsh
Brycemesser29 July 2019
I don't understand all of the backlash for this movie. I found Bautista and Nanjiani to be hilarious and deliver on laughs consistently throughout the film. This movie isn't pretending to be anything it's not; it's not trying to reinvent a genre, and it's not trying to win any awards. It's just a dumb action comedy made solely for a few laughs. If you go in expecting a stupid comedy, there's no reason you shouldn't enjoy Stuber. I laughed the entire time and it's definitely worth a rewatch in my opinion.
45 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Uber Comedy Has a Good Concept, but a Terrible Execution
bastille-852-73154727 June 2019
I saw this at an advance screening, and went in hoping for the best. Given the popularity of ride-sharing services such as Uber and Lyft, I thought the idea for a buddy comedy about Uber could be both entertaining and timely, and the film has two strong leads (Kumail Nanjiani and Dave Bautista.) Unfortunately, this was a dreadful attempt at action comedy that has some (surprisingly) visceral action scenes, yet fails miserably at virtually every other aspect.

The film centers around a highly aggressive LAPD officer (Bautista) looking for a brutal heroin dealer. However, he cannot drive to the locations that he needs to go to due to his Lasik surgery affecting his vision. As a result, he gets in an Uber with a mild-mannered, composed driver (Nanjiani) trying to keep his star rating up, who has to keep going around with him to stop the dealer. The film's plot generally consists of going from point A to point B and point C, which is fine, but the story's narrative never manages to take any structural risks. As a comedy, "Stuber" falls pretty flat. While there are a few mildly amusing lines of dialogue, the humor is an awkward mishmash of cheap jokes about Uber, raunchy R-rated jokes, weak puns, and erratic pop culture references. None of the jokes or "points" of the narrative really add up to much significant. The more over-the-top moments in the film tend to rely on shock value just for the sake of it, unlike the better R-rated comedies that balance wit, irony, and strong writing with over-the-top content.

One of the film's biggest problems is its characterization. The film's two lead characters are far too "on the nose" to the point that it becomes difficult to even remotely suspend one's disbelief. This makes the characters more annoying than funny or amusing. The film's supporting characters are also embarrassingly written as their characterization is both paper-thin and of little prominence to the greater story arc as a whole. The actions of these poorly depicted characters end up serving as glaring clichés. While the film's (surprisingly intense) action is generally well-choreographed, that is the only thing recommendable about this otherwise disastrous action-comedy. Even though Stu wants to earn a five-star rating in this movie, the film itself is only deserving of 1 star. 2/10
119 out of 225 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stubid
writenamehere13 July 2019
A large angry prune kidnaps an Indian bloke for hijinks and whatever. So many times I wanted to walk out of this film, but I was with my wife and we were supposed to be having a "date night" type thing. I mean I expected something silly, but if anything, the trailer made it seem much more watchable than it was. I realise now I should've walked out. There's nothing new in this, and most gratingly, the tempo/pacing is all wrong for comedy. It was terrible. It was an insult. After a while I couldn't stop laughing at it, the way jokes didn't work, the tired cliché rolled out endlessly. It made me want to die. It was nice to see Mira Sorvino again though, and I can't say the acting was bad, actors do what they're told. Everything else was wrong. If this is the future of film or comedy, then both are officially dead.
116 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Iit was actually very funny and good acted
filipmail3 October 2019
Nanijani was absolutely amazing!, this guy with his nerd-like personality, and great lines, will make you laugh... I enjoyed it, unexpected it will be such a cool film! Bautista also did a good job, and both lads together (although it's nothing new, relation between 2 extremely different characters) made a great couple. Watch it, you will enjoy it, if you like weird humour and good dialogues
22 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Far better and funnier then expected!!!
trevorreddin4 October 2019
I saw the trailers and thought it looked ok. Didn't look much into the movie and assumed it was a B movie with one main big star and a bunch on nobodies. How I was very wrong. The film is brilliant. The action is top notch and the humour is spot on. Laugh out loud moments but not gross out humour or stuff out of place. I can't think of a movie to compare it to. The action is a kin to Bad Boys, or Lethal Weapon but with the jokes turned up a few more notches. Possibly one of the best movies I have seen in a long time .recommended movie.
23 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Uber driver helps cop
tomfeller23 September 2019
My wife has a friend who drives for Uber, and she made some much money that her husband complained about the extra income tax that they had to pay. Meek, mild-mannered Stu (Kumail Nanjiani), one of the two main characters of this movie, drives his leased electric car for Uber at nights and on his days off from his job at a sporting goods store. The title comes from a joke spoken by Stu's jerk of a boss (Jimmy Tatro). One day Stu picks up a rider (Dave Bautista), the other main character, who is far more than he bargained for. Bautista plays Vic, a macho cop whose partner (Karen Gillan) was killed about six months previously. The prime suspect, a drug-dealing martial artist named Oka Tedjo (Iko Uwais), has disappeared, but Vic finally receives a tip concerning his whereabouts. Unfortunately, this occurred right after Vic has Lasik surgery and can barely see, let alone drive. Consequently, he has to take an Uber and Vic has the misfortune to be the driver who takes the call. They have a series of adventures, including a visit to a male strip club, and both of them have relationship problems: Stu is in love with Becca (Betty Gilpin) who only thinks of him as a friend, and Vic has pursued his career at the expense of his relationship with his daughter Nicole (Natalie Morales). Reviewers have not been kind to this movie, but both Anita and I laughed frequently. There is a great deal of violence, which is typical of buddy/cop movies in the tradition of 48 Hours and Lethal Weapon. It is similar plot-wise to Michael Mann's Collateral, but done as a comedy.
24 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Collateral, but garbage
brandonzamudio11 July 2019
Title says it all, essentially it's Collateral but not even close to as good. Go watch that instead, would not be surprised if the writers and crew saw that movie and decided to just rip it off. Also title of this movie is dumb and sounds like a bad joke.
126 out of 249 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ridiculously FUN!!
andreafranco-436862 October 2019
After a stressful night of parting with our beautiful German Shepard. It was just the distraction I needed. I'm not sure why others were so disappointed. It's a good movie. All of the actors did a great job. The characters are well developed. There's fast paced comedy & lots of action. If you choose this, don't expect it to change your life. It's just a movie; a funny movie. So, just enjoy the ride.
26 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just awful
boardy-5510318 July 2019
There's no way Hollywood can continue to try and teach us ethical and moral behavior. . I'm in absolute awe that the degenerates continue to try. What a WOKE piece of garbage. I've lost respect for every actor involved. It's just pathetic.
30 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just no
palistineroyal14 July 2019
This was so sadly made and what a waste of such good actors. I get it Uber just splurged some advertising money to get some attention but man this was just not funny at all
84 out of 163 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful film obviously paid for by uber
David-clark1238 July 2019
If you want to waste nearly 2 hours of your life put this on, seriously bad film, obviously a paid for by Uber production to promote their app
103 out of 204 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Useless
g_ovidiuro14 July 2019
Starts fine but after 4-5 minutes it gets really, really boring... and it stays like that until the end. I want my time back...
59 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not worth it
jarooojarooo16 July 2019
I was really excited to see this movie. I love Nanjiani and Bautista, I was gonna have fun. An then the movie happened. From the first scene it's just bad. The action is meh, the comedy is ugh. Starts with cliches and poor excuses for jokes then gradually becomes just boring with awkward incel/friendzone jokes on the side. I'm really disappointed. I'd rather spend these two hours at the dentist's office. I gave it 2 stars, because it had dogs in it. That's the only nice thing about this movie.
42 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable action flick
sasmarco22 October 2019
Good humor, fun movie. Forget the wining it's just a lovely little movie to watch! The two actors are perfect and both play a good old fashioned love/hate combo!

I really went on here this time to give it 8 ( might be 7 ) points just to go against the haters.
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Average B grade action/comedy
djtranny11 July 2019
I'll start off by saying I am a fan of many B grade action movies, even some cheesy low budget ones. I was fooled by some other reviewers saying how good the action scenes were... This movie is mediocre on both the comedy and action fronts. It really is not worthy of a cinema release. There is not enough action to be a good action movie and while there are a few laughs to be had, there are not enough laugh out loud moments. Don't waste your money seeing this at the cinema. It is only worth a rental/stream after a few drinks on a rainy day, at best.
76 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
He wanted 5 stars I gave him 7
smashdead5 August 2019
Predicteble Plot Funny Good cast

It has a predictable plot, but we are here for the jokes, and it delivers, the cast is fnny and the movie has a good message, about the what a modern "real man" needs to be in a fun way.
17 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.