Alpha Wolf (2018) Poster

(2018)

Watchable For The B-Movie It Is
jackseney26 September 2019
"Alpha Wolf" has all of the low-budget eccentricities that those of us who are B-movie fans like. There are lovably bargain-basement werewolf costumes and there is amusingly awkward acting and there are nice California countryside settings. What more could a bad movie fan ask for?

Over-aggressive Casper Van Dien and his wife and their dog are going up the country to re-connect with nature and with each other. Before long there is a werewolf attack, Van Dien gets bit and all low-budget lycanthrope hell is breaking loose.

Van Dien's real-life wife Jennifer Wegner carries much of the movie, even as she struggles with a script that contradicts itself on how long she's known Van Dien's character! Van Dien himself turns out to be playing such a jerkoff that even fellow werewolves can't stand him, and only Wegner's dog Larry is loyal and trustworthy.

While bad CGI (is there any good CGI?) is used for fires and such, good old practical effects are used for the werewolves and in the violence scenes and there is some blood-splash here and there, a heart gets ripped out, a guy gets brained with a hammer and so on, with the gore shown briefly and the violence on the moderate level. There is also a jaw-dropping surprise involving were-transformations that I'll let you see for yourself. Even though it has a "You've got to be kidding me" quality to it and should have been done better, I don't believe any other moviemakers have ever used this idea, so "Alpha Wolf" deserves credit for that.

Other than that, characters regularly contradict themselves here and the script seems to have been written by utter amateurs who never even bothered to double-check it. Luckily this becomes part of the fun and one soon begins to sense the ghost of Ed Wood hovering around.

Even the fact that the real-life couple Van Dien and Wegner's love scenes are actually awkward, or that Van Dien appears to have had plastic surgery, does not detract from, but adds to the overall enjoyable air of B-movie angst. You know who you are if this sounds like something for you, so head on over to You Tube or Hulu to catch it!
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
But these were weregerbils...
paul_haakonsen29 December 2018
I stumbled upon "Alpha Wolf" by utter random luck. I saw that it was a werewolf movie, and I saw that Casper Van Dien and Patrick Muldoon were together again in the same movie, so of course I wanted to watch "Alpha Wolf".

Well, a werewolf movie might be stretching it a bit far, because the were-creatures looked nothing like wolves, actually more like weregerbils. Yeah, they looked like hybrids between humans and gerbils. It was just such an eyesore to witness.

The storyline was fairly simplistic and easy to follow, but I can't claim to say that the storyline was interesting. It made for a less than mediocre movie experience, and "Alpha Wolf" offers nothing to the genre that hasn't already been done or seen before. Well, I stand corrected, because apparently if a canine is bitten by a were-creature, it can changed into human form from dog form come full moon. Are you bloody serious? That was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in a werewolf movie.

The movie had a very small cast ensemble, which means that the actors and actresses had even more riding on their shoulders in terms of carrying the movie. So did they manage to do so, No, not really. The characters were flaccid and not particularly interesting. And to be honest, then the actors and actresses had very little material to work with here.

For a weregerbil movie, then "Alpha Wolf" could have benefitted from a more elaborate and costly CGI budget. They had some CGI effects in the movie, they served their function, sure, but they weren't convincing. It was actually the practical effects that won the contest here.

"Alpha Wolf" is not the type of movie that you will watch more than once, provided you manage to get through it the first time around.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumb werewolf movie
dctr66629 November 2018
This movie is bad... Very bad... Bad cgi, bad make-up, bad story, bad acting... There's a reason why Casper Van D. never made it to the A-list, and this is one of the best examples... Man, this is really bad... Run away......
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
what the heck.. i liked it
enoranohobi22 November 2018
This is the first review I'm writing here.. and this movie is not boring. It was simple and ok. sometimes the decision made in the movie was silly.. but that's all there's to it. I recommend it for anyone who wants something with a little adrenaline
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dreadful and not even funny
retrolover-770472 March 2019
The writing sucks, Casper van Dien couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag - and this isn't even one of those horror movies that's so bad it's funny, it's just bad. Verdict: Ninety minutes of your life you'll never get back.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad, cheesy movie!
rollie19763 October 2019
Movie sucked! Acting sucked too! I regret watching this movie! Lol
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked it but then again I'm really into werewolf, vampire, witch movies so I recommend it
lovettstough23 February 2019
I really really liked this movie but then again I'm really into werewolf movies, vampire movies, witch movies, etc. I pretty much like them all because even before movies and television it makes me wonder where did these legends, ideas of any of these types of things originate? There is absolutely no proof that they are not real or that they are real. I'm personally inclined to think they are or were real. That's why I watch as many of these types of movies and t.v. shows as I can. To me this might be one of the better ones because they are out in the middle of nowhere. I really really liked it and recommend it. To each their own though.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad
alhajhusseinkhaled4 February 2019
This is really very bad movie ...boring...acting not good ...bad boring story ...it deserve less than one star as rating
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One time watch movie
amninder-5206914 November 2018
I would say it was not boring.one time you can watch if someone feel bored.
2 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.