Alone (2020) Poster

(V) (2020)

You will be thinking all the time who would do that?!
cintiaamoros5523 January 2021
This movie is just really hard to watch. A girl that just had a scary encounter and stops alone, far away from her car at a shady trucker pitstop. And this is not even one of the things that annoyed me during the movie. None of the characters make any sense at all how they behave. Besides how can you keep meeting the guy all over the woods? Just nonsense!
94 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stress inducing!
ross-millward9 January 2021
For a start, I would advise not watching the trailer as this film is simple in its concept and should be viewed as spoiler free. It starts off like a modern-day version of Duel with an escalating case of cat and mouse on the deserted roads. After a spot of 'who's the baddie?' we are then subjected to scene after scene of primal stalk and hunt. All that is left to say is the acting is fantastic, the cinematography offers some epic aerial views and you will be on the edge of your seat throughout!
42 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh
jamesdh-5495716 February 2021
It had a couple decent parts but yeah I'm siding with those on team 'too illogical'. It did have some good visuals. Oh and how does the guy have a nice cup of joe in the car towards the end of the movie?
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Mindless Thriller With No Story to Tell.
Impartial-Critic5 October 2020
A recently widowed woman is trying to relocate and escape her old life, find herself being stalked on the road and kidnapped by a demented stranger, after she escapes her kidnapper and into the wilderness battling both nature and the chances of her recapture in a last attempt of survival.

The movie is over all a mindless thriller, that doesn't stand out from the stalker/kidnapper sub-genre in anyway balanced paced at moments yet very dull and stretched at others due to the lack of a strong story to support it.

The plot is basically revolves around a random woman who's being hunted by a random man! No presence of any back story to make us care for the lead character and her survival.

With the number of wrong and stupid choices that every character do in this movie (the widow, the killer or even the guy haunting in the woods) along with the fact that this movie is 1 hour and 38 mins long and lacks an interesting dialogue, you'll find yourself forced to fast forward almost third of this movie in various parts just to escape the various awkward dialogue pauses that lasts for minutes during the endless chase scenes.
76 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GREAT MOVIE!
frances_farmer021 September 2020
This one seriously kept me on the edge on my seat, which doesn't happen that often. It's a pretty 'simple' movie, in theory, but extremely well done. Anyone giving this a rating under 6 is just being jerk for no reason. Solid movie.
98 out of 159 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Make more like this
eventlaunch20 September 2020
Simple and effective hits every right film making thrilling note must watch dont listen to stupid negative reviews just watch and enjoy
92 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Generic movie
nicholaslang-5488427 January 2021
Ned Flanders goes off the rails. Generic movie set in a forest. Must do better than this,
20 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow start, predictable and bad ending
lauraellenrichards24 November 2020
Started slow, the film is predictable throughout and the plot is pretty poor. I was expecting something exciting/ thrilling but to be honest I was just bored.
40 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad at all
i-max7 October 2020
I'm giving a generous 8 as support for the director and writer. Of course this is a remake but there's much more to appreciate from the film. The only thing I didn't like was the guy's motivation, which unexplained and deserves a closure at the end.
39 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fine but forgettable
nehpetstephen19 September 2020
ALONE is a finely made film: the paranoid cinematography, languorous editing, and immersive sound design coalesce into an experience that is palpably nerve-racking at times, and the performances, albeit not especially outstanding, are perfectly believable. This film should satisfy you, more or less, as a riveting thriller, but it's doubtful that it'll stay with you long after the credits have rolled.

The story is, well, very simple--a classic cat-and-mouse thriller pulled from Serial Killer Plotting 101. There's a freshness to how the main character behaves quite realistically within every situation. She never falls for what's obviously a trap like many cinematic idiots often do; there's a sense that she's always doing what we would probably have done in the same situation rather than simply what the screenwriter thinks would be interesting. While such believability is, unfortunately, rather rare in movies, there's also nothing very surprising about it. From beginning to end, everything is quite predictable.

Unfortunately, whatever the film succeeds at in terms of behavioral realism, it fails at in terms of making the situations unfold naturally. The woods of the Pacific Northwest are quite massive, but the number of serendipitous run-ins in this story makes it seem like they're a couple of acres at most. The plot depends upon the characters always being within about fifty yards from each other, which is rather frustrating by the end.

What was more frustrating for me, however, was how weak the characterization was. The film never succeeds at making the two characters anything other than superficial ciphers in a very cliched serial killer plot, however realistic their behaviors and the actors' performances might be. The screenplay hints at some possible thematic meanings that a very generous viewer could possibly mine--likening the abduction to grief; comparing the will to survive with suicidal depression; the hint that you never truly know what's going on in another person's mind, whether that's suicidal urges or serial killer urges--but in the end none of these interpretations really resonate.

In the end, there's nothing to really recommend this film--nothing that really stands out--despite it being perfectly competent.
69 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I though it was pretty good
inkwarp19 September 2020
I didn't have any expectations coming to this. So, despite the somewhat formulaic plot the great direction, the top notch performances, ( particularly from Jules Wilcox), amazing soundtrack, all contribute to make this better than the sum of it's parts. It's incredibly taut at times and it never lets up. Definitely worth a watch. I'll be interested to see where John Hyams goes from here. a solid film and , owing to my nerves being shredded at times it's a 7/10 for me.
41 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
this does stand out from the other films of this genre
markthomassintek24 September 2020
REVIEW - ALONE

Not another!

Yep

We have seen so many of these films recently where a female gets either kidnapped or chased by a nutter what could possibly make this stand out from all of the rest to make this your choice to watch?

Well actually it was rather good with the suspense building nicely throughput the film, yes predictable in places and slow in others but what made this for me was 2 very simple things.

1st, It's set in the real wild so rather than having an actor pretend to be in a forest in the middle of the sun shine this was actually filmed during one of the biggest rain storms so added that realistic element.

2nd, as we see in so many films the complete back story of every character is told just rushing what could have been a great film, answering every question by the end of the film but this film doesn't, you don't know why he is doing what he is doing, you don't know his back story and you are only briefly told the main female characters back story which is relevant to what is happening in the film so this film could concentrate on the story without rushing or explaining everything, keeping you guessing as to his motive or not.

So yes this does stand out from the other films of this genre and is one to see if you get the opportunity.

Rating 7 out of 10
43 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Realistic story of survival that holds to the end
Dahbeed28 September 2020
I enjoy survival movies because I like to put myself in the situation - how would I react? What would I do? This movie is very believable, especially from a female perspective. The heroine, Jessica, is not a "superhero" nor is she a victim. She isn't "blond, buff & twenty" like most of victims portrayed these days. Instead, she is your sister, daughter, friend - just a regular youngish (30?) woman, moving from one place to another, pulling a U-haul behind her much used car. Same for the "man." Average looking, even a little common looking - exactly the kind of guy you see everyday at the store or gas station. Their "meeting", too, is an event that occurs a million times a day all over the world. As I watched this, I found myself thinking, "I've done that..." Don't get me wrong, this isn't a feminist film at all. The movie keeps your interest simply because it is so believably realistic - Jessica and the man act and react like one would expect - not like a character in a script. And the ending, though violent, dirty and degrading, was not how I expected this particular story to end. Definitely worth watching.
38 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than expected "serial-killer stalks lone woman" flick.
repojack1 October 2020
"Alone" is a rock-solid thriller. If you are a jaded horror fan, you'll scream "don't do it" multiple times, and mostly, your wish is granted. Very well acted and tautly paced, it is a worthy entry in the "serial abduction and escape" genre.
35 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent thriller.... Don't need a huge budget for something brilliant
sounakc-9897122 September 2020
Just fantastic, pleasantly surprised, thrilling, raw and gripping screenplay, amazing performances from the two leads. This movie deserves a lot of praise, needs to be seen. Highly recommended.
57 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore negative reviews...
anuity24 September 2020
I rarely write a review but I had to say something in defense of this movie. I'm stumped by the negative reviews. Plain simply put, this was a great tense thriller. My wife and I walked away totally surprised and satisfied. I left with none of the criticisms some of the other reviewers expressed.
57 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An unoriginal waste of time
ardarkow0723 January 2021
It's a typical cat and mouse with scenery in the Pacific Northwest
19 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Self Digging Holes & Vanishing Shovels...
Xstal3 October 2020
Failing to consult Kidnapping for Dummies, Rescuing for Dummies, Escaping for Dummies and, more importantly, Filmmaking for Dummies leaves you hoping for an audience of Dummies, good luck!
69 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For Suspense Fans - Not for the Usual Suspects Who Enjoy Nit-picking
PrairieCal24 September 2020
This movie is for fans who really love edge of your seat suspense. Yes, the plot has been used before. Yes, the genre is an old one. Nothing new under the sun in any film. Hitch made at least two of his movies twice, and used the same theme of innocent man pursued by both the police and the bad guys multiple times.

Yet when you add good production values, good writing, good direction, and good acting, even an old plot device becomes new and thoroughly entertaining. And that all rings true in this more than adequate suspense movie. It's doubtful that one could even count the number of films about an innocent woman confronted with acute danger. Yet the suspense here is so strong it all becomes rather new and exciting.

Here, the woman is alone, with only her own wits, determination to survive, and some Hollywood luck to aid her. The only thing I found slightly distracting were the drone or helicopter shots taken from the sky. Since none of the characters are up in the sky to see these views, such camera work tends to mar the suspension of disbelief. Still, if you're a real suspense fan, you'll thoroughly enjoy this movie.
30 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great little Thriller
jtungsten-5950125 September 2020
Alone 2020 is an amazing little thriller that delivers the goods on all angles, acting, writing and the cinematography is especially beautiful in this film. Please check out this film you won't be disappointed
43 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumb Story, Nonsensical Actions, Annoying...
tl300021 October 2020
No logic, common sense, or survival instincts whatsoever to the story--nothing but irrational sequences and actions taken. Not grabbing any weapon at first chance after escaping from basement?! Leaving shovel behind where the killer buried the body?! Oh, come on?! Nothing believable, original or suspenseful. Annoying throughout the entire film--just skip to the last 5-minutes of the film for the revenge or final showdown scene. Overall, not recommended.
23 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Believe the low-rated reviews
GlitteryGoat26 September 2020
Before i decided to watch this movie i skimmed over the reviews and the reviews made me believe i was going to watch a typical "cat-and-mouse" movie but a little bit better. I was terribly disappointed. This movie was not good. It just wasn't. It was very typical for its genre, like any of these types of movies (bad guy catches girl, girl escapes, bad guy hunts down girl, and then the typical "girl power" happens). It brings nothing new to the table, and the worst thing for me was that it was terribly predictable and all the clichés one could ask for are in this movie which means the whole runtime the characters make idiotic decisions. It wasn't believable in the slightest.

The only reason that i gave it a 3 was the cinematography was ok and the actors weren't too bad either.
24 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow and nothing new
doctorshaleenbhatnagar19 November 2020
Slow paced , back ground music not good and nothing new in the storyline
20 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pass
bgmagic2221 September 2020
Dumb weak main character making dumb weak decisions.
46 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good!!
caroline_chupaa19 September 2020
Surprisingly good and well written! Make more movies like this please!! Very entertaining
31 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.