SuperFly (2018) Poster

(2018)

"Superfly" is Harmless Pulp in a Serious World
travishouze14 June 2018
If you walk into Superfly with the intention of not taking it seriously....it's actually pretty fun for all the wrong reasons. What makes Superfly work is its jaded views on street credibility and several of the lead actors to bring some much needed levity to what is a rip-off of every crime drama that came before it.

The plot is all you have heard a million times before. The whole "one big score to end it all" after a traumatic moment, corrupt cops, navigating through a Mexican drug cartel, all wrapped into a copy and paste style script. What makes it a little more worth while is the rival gang Snow Patrol, which is gloriously over the top in literally all white everything and filled with actors overacting in ways I haven't seen in a movie in a long time. So it's sad to say that there is a long period where they aren't the focus and the film reverts into familiar cartel territory, which is not investing at all.

Trevor Jackson is okay in the lead role, but is clearly outstaged by his co-star Jason Mitchell, who is having more fun in the role than he is. He plays it pretty straight, but doesn't stretch his range out enough to make him captivating. Also the film runs 20 minutes too long and could have sliced a large amount of the ending to keep it more focused and internal.

Superfly is simply harmless pulp that was close to being a guilty pleasure. In a post-Black Panther world, films like Superfly will have to beef up their reasons for existing by either going all the way absurd, or just asking new questions these characteristics. It's crime isn't its influence, but instead it lacks wings to truly fly.

Rating: 4.5 / 10
54 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When Worldstar meets The Chappelle show
kbrown76018 June 2018
I went in with an open mind but that quickly changed. Seeing how relevant the original was to the times.(although it was also panned by the NAACP as glorifying street life). The lead in the original at least had the viewer understanding his angst as he wanted out. This version , I don't even know or care why he's disillusioned. The females representations are embarrassing .The Snow Patrol was straight out of a cartoon..(cleaning bill must be a mother). New Jack City was a better story on a drug dealer. You loved or hated Nino, but you had an opinion.. I particularly hated the gun play and Car chases.. In the original, I don't remember anybody getting shot.. This was just a way to get the shoot-em up fans and the Fast and Furious fans together.. I just think this was a story that didn't need to be remade..
45 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watched the original
deanstevencallan13 September 2018
Trash, What's the point , just watch the original that's how to make a great "blacksplotation" film not this , why make a sequel that is so inferior to the original ? Don't bother !
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic...what a trailer...
zvedrija19 July 2018
First I looked at the trailer....what a kick...then I looked at the movie...what a kick.. The acting....the plot...the genre...the dramaturgy... what a kick... It was literally a kick in the groin..
58 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just...WOW!
mjlower-2899113 July 2018
I kinda expected this movie to suck considering it was made by a guy who's so arrogant to call himself "Director X". The plot was thin the acting was bad. I do have to say one positive thing though, the idea of the film was a good one just poorly executed. 1/10 Thanks for reading my opinion on this flick. My review is too short apparently so let me see what else I can think of here... I did like the actor who played the lead, can't remember his name but I liked his style.
52 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Average remake of a Blaxploitation classic.
Java_Joe19 June 2018
The original Super Fly is credited as being one of the original Blaxploitation movies along with Sweet Sweetback's Baadassssss Song and Shaft. All of which are considered essential movies in the genre.

This remake hits all the right notes and it updates it for today's audiences but it doesn't really bring anything new or noteworthy to the mix. It's stylish and honestly feels more like an extended music video in some parts. Now part of that could very well be because of the director and his background. But that's good for music videos and not for a feature length movie.

But the real issue is this movie has no real reason to exist. It's a remake that really is the same exact story as the original. I get why they wanted to make it but it doesn't bring anything really new to the mix.

As a stand alone movie it's just kinda okay. As a remake it's just a tepid retelling of a much better story.
27 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well...
wryanjump26 June 2018
That hair

That HORRIBLE hair

Yup... never gonna take a man with that hair seriously
67 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Garbage
vintagegearsllc19 June 2018
There are not enough words to describe how horrible this film is ,what a waste .
51 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie will attract flies... Super flies... because this movie...
mindbender230215 June 2018
...Super stinks!

What is the point of all the remakes? What's next? Titanic? "This time, the ship doesn't sink because there are no icebergs thanks to global warming"... And wait for the dubstep music as Pjagck and Rowsche (with the modern douchebag spelling of normal names) twerk and do doggystyle in the ship's parking garage.

Ron O'Neal was Youngblood Priest. Carl Lee was Eddie. Curtis Mayfield was the maestro behind the soundtrack. Together they made the original, proper Superfly.

The 2018 remake is just as appealing as chewing already chewed gum.
51 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor Movie, Poor Acting
john-r-eve8 September 2018
I do not recommend this movie. I watched it and wanted to scratch my eyes out. Low IQ gangsters, terrible music, poorly written. Some Scenes look like they were shot on an old soap opera set. No redeeming value in this film.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumb movie
torreselnino-6358928 August 2018
Only watched it for the title, kind of feel conned now. Will get high ratings from 15 year olds. Hang on a second, that's disrespectful to 15 year olds.
30 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Someone successfully turned your favorite Hip Hop video into a feature film.
subxerogravity15 June 2018
It's like the ultimate male fantasy come to life!

Priest is the king of the drug game in Atlanta, his head so strongly connected to his shoulders he does not need to bring a gun to a gun fight (And that's why it was so important to advertise it's from the producers of the matrix). He has the perfect life running the game with his boy and sharing his bed with not one but two hot chicks who don't mind sharing at all, as he runs his house like a true king, but one day he realizes he no longer has the mind set for the game and needs to do one last big score and get out before he gets got.

It's like if Disney was making a movie about a drug dealer. This dude Superfly is so perfect. In that way it's the perfect homage not just to the original movie but to the blaxpolation era altogether (both positive and negative) with their imagery of a brother who's near perfect.

But I have to admit, I would not have expected a movie like this in the times we are living in. It appeals so heavily to a male psyche the world is trying to change. Obviously mine has not, because I loved this flick. The producers of the Matrix (as the poster advertised) loaded it with so much Style and action (plus hot naked women) that I can't help but to enjoy.

Something tells me this is going to be my guilty pleasure.
24 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's Entertaining. No complaints.
stargate-764-3642072 September 2018
It's Entertainment. A comic book story made into a movie, with all the comic trimmings. I guess the other reviewers really didn't like Priest's over-the-top hairdo... and they're kind of right: it is excessive. But then again, he's supposed to be a combination of dangerous, sharp, slick, & smooth, all at once; so I'll give him that. Besides, the movie is entertaining. That, and I wasn't expecting a blockbuster; but it's nicely done. Wastes no time. What happened to people just watching movies and expecting to be entertained? That's what I expect from a movie: "Will it entertain me, and how much will it entertain me?" All the other niggles about script, technical qualities, and what not, are just that: niggles. If you're down with going on a fantasy gangsta trip for 116 minutes... see expensive cars, gals, guns, gratuitous T & A; cool martial arts, and a hail of bullets, with a sprinkling of love to round it all out... Go see this movie.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
it's bad....minus Curtis Mayfiield music...:)
filipmail28 August 2018
Like in the title. original had an amazing sound track, film wasn't really fellini;), but watchable...this ain't
15 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SuperBad - UnSuperFly - SuperWhy
GoRichard716 September 2018
I try to view movies from the perspective of why it was made or what its goal is as opposed to what I expect or want.

There is "NO" story line or purpose to this, remake (?). I'm not even sure it should be called a remake. Nothing Develops, nothing makes you care, characters exist just because they can.

If a movie is bad, I usually won't rated because maybe its not for me. This on the other hand is something that is just horrible on every level. I gave it two stars because at least I didn't throw up (maybe I should have).

-GoRichard
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very entertaining and stylish film.
edeninvsvs18 June 2018
I enjoyed the film, it is quite true the original. Entertaining, well acted, well written in terms of a modern day story line and stylish. It is not to be taken too seriously. Just go have a good time watching it.
32 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Modern Remake
laceypgh29 August 2018
Watch before you judge the movie. The gets movie over criticized .
21 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cliche
Bingemare16 September 2018
Everything about this movie is just too predictable and looks like much thought wasn't put into it. There were just too many irrelevant scenes in this movie which didn't need to be screened.

The worst part about this movie is that it seemed like an advert for the Lexus sports car the main character drove as the panning and camera angles were irrelevant.

Overall, it was a subpar movie.
what a waste of time
conyo16 September 2018
TL;DR version: black movie for black audiences. You know, this new kind of cinema you haven't had 20 years ago. I'm from the old Iron Curtain country. If you don't know what that is - congratulations. In my youth we were always looking forward to the "corrupt west" movies because they were a breath of fresh air. Some movies still are. This one is not. It's clearly made for teenagers, "I shoot this guy, and I see this womans breasts" kind of movie. They try to make it clever. But it's just not. Forgo this movie. Watch underappreciated "Ronin" movie. Yes, it's 20 years old - but you'll see how to make a "I want to quit" movie.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
wow ummm, bunch of try hard actors!
inckuyapj4 September 2018
Trailer looked good! watched the movie after 15 mins i cudn't stand it. 1st everyone was such a try hard actor, over acting and lots of unnecessary parts of the movie that didn't help it progress. i can see if this was a tv show wud have been ok but as a movie ummmmm ya. nice try but not worth renting or watching unless it was free movie and your at Jury duty or something. I don't know any of the actors and if their trying to make a name for themselves, would have been better as extras then stars of the movie. All i can say was, it was like watching a movie made by youtubers. If it was then ughh nice try.

Trailers better then the movie!
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't Believe The Negativity! This Movie Is Great!
nettecumma15 June 2018
I come from the era of Donald Goines books, where I was first introduced to his book named "Street Players". Goines book followed the lives of people of African descent living the fast life, making money, partying and enjoying their world their way. SuperFly in my opinion is a reincarnation of Goines book with a 2018 feel to it.

The movie follows the life of SuperFly (Trevor Jackson) who is a prominent drug dealer in his home town. He has loyal friends, a great operation, more money than most people will see in a life time, two beautiful women in his life and a great mentor. However, he becomes weary of participating in the drug game and seeks to find a way out, by any means necessary.

From the moment I sat down in the theater, and the movie began my eyes were glued to the screen. The actors did a masterful job at playing roles that are common in every day life. SuperFly is the good guy caught up in a life of luxury that he attained illegally. Juju is the jealous one, the hater who represents people who spew hate when they are unhappy seeing others win. Eddie is the loyal best friend to SuperFly who will protect his friend at all costs. Lastly, there is Georgia who is SuperFly's ride or die, his love of his life and his inspiration. These characters stood out the most to me because they were true to my lived life experiences.

These characters cannot be understood by people who are too privileged to understand the struggle. They will see this movie as difficult to understand , and maybe even a "waste of time". However, in all actuality this movie can resonate deeply with all people who try to understand the plot and the characters that are all intertwined in the web of events that occur throughout the movie.

This movie will leave a lasting impact on each person who takes the time out to see this film. Pay attention to what's occurring in the movie, take your time to analyze each scene and then compare it to your life. Don't just focus on the glitz, glamour and gang rivalry. Rather, enthrall yourself in the ideas that the movie is trying to convey. Director X and all those involved did an amazing job with this movie. My 14 dollar ticket was well worth the money.
36 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How to Stay Superfly while Handling Your Haters
vachenzia16 June 2018
This movie was really good. People talk about having haters all the time. But if you haven't had haters until you experienced someone trying to shake you down, living in your house undermining your efforts, intimidated by you, or trying to kill you every chance they got. And this guy was superfly in handling his haters. Normally, it's some cliche resolution that I have seen a thousand times. But this movie throws you a few curves. And I was glad to see my boi Kia Shine on the screen again. There is a lot of hip hop culture imbedded. If you not into hip hop, this is not the movie for you.
22 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Its very good ALTHOUGH not solid
bassicuk15 September 2018
Ok this is a remake.

Lets not knock it down as times have changed. The movie is not there to empower black people. Its judt entertainment.

Most of the actors were good. Some let it down - Georgia and (sometimes) Priest. Big boi, Eddie and the main drug boss were great.

The music was good.

The car chase with the beautiful Lexus was good.

Overall it was very good.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should be called Squashed bug
ray-75431 August 2018
Haven't seen anything this horrible in quite some time. It gives the category stinker a whole new meaning. Wooden, uninspired overacting coupled with a tired script that gives cliche a higher reference. Please do not waste your time. Ouch.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really, really bad
thebricks31 August 2018
Would like to chime in on this terrible, amateurishly made movie, but it's not PC. It was just so bad, it was embarrassing and illogical. It's like a bad student made film. All over the place. Whoever got this trash a theatrical release must be one heck of a salesman.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.