6 Weeks to Mother's Day (2017) Poster

A Must Watch Uplifting Documentary
JGReviews7 June 2020
6 Weeks to Mother's Day is a remarkable documentary. I feel like sometimes people aren't as willing to watch a film on people who aren't celebrities or like themselves, but documentaries like these always end up feeling so rewarding and enlightening since you get exposed to new people and places.

The story concerns a school of orphan children deep in the jungle of Thailand who are going to celebrate their principal (known as "Mother") for half a lifetime of service. However, this school, these students, and Mother are particularly unique. The school is a democratic school, which is something I wasn't familiar with prior. The children are given a wide range of independence, largely govern themselves, and they seem to be thriving in that environment. The students at this school also have some challenging backgrounds, with some having to overcome abuse in their pasts. There's a complex and emotional scene at one point in the film where twins meet their birth parents for the first time and it is very powerful. The "Mother" of these students also has own remarkable backstory to tell since she has had to work incredibly hard and devote so much of herself to her students, while still carving out a unique and unconventional path to do so.

As for the filmmaking side of things, the director and his crew deserve a lot of credit for their efforts. It's commendable that they were even able to find the story of this school that is located deep in the Thai jungle. The film is well shot, featuring gorgeous locations. Between the pacing, shots of the jungle, and the demeanor of those at the school, the film has almost a relaxing quality to it that felt like a really nice change of pace since I'm watching during the coronavirus pandemic. The film also feels unmanipulated and observational, yet still incredibly personal. You really feel like you get a sense for these children and their teachers (mothers/fathers) by the end of the film. It's also impossible to not be moved by the emotions of the students and even alumni who come to honor their Mother at the end of the film because she is/was such a significant figure in their lives.

6 Weeks to Mother's Day is a must watch uplifting documentary that will make the world seem a little bit kinder and more nurturing after having watched it. Highly recommend.
Solid Doc
williamgway28 July 2020
This a solid documentary that succeeds without profiling a famous athlete or celebrity. If you watch this you will be better educated and have your heart warmed along the way give it a watch. Wonderfully set in Thailand, the 'cast' are extraordinary in their efforts and accomplishments.
Democatic and Joyful Education
catafuentes-3417617 August 2019
School-orphanage in rural Thailand, home for 150 children who can develop life skills, self-respect and learn academic subjects they choose. The democratic model and daily routines unfold with joy and amusement in an atmosphere of love and patience. The school meeting, an empowering practice maintains their own judiciary process to address complaints within their community. Students and teachers vote on punishments and exemplar activities. The preparation of mother's day celebration takes us through various school activities and includes former students. They all express love and gratitude, filling our hearts with optimism.
Tremendous film!
craigahrens3 August 2020
This is a flat out great film! My wife and I loved it from beginning to end. Mother Aew is one amazing woman. Her contribution to society is something we can all learn from and then some! One can't help but wonder if it wasn't for her... what lives would these children have had? This film is story telling at its finest. It goes to show you if you have passion for a noble humanitarian cause... what a great impact you can have upon another person's life. This film gets a big thumbs up from me!!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartwarming doc about a unique orphanage in the jungles of Thailand and the Matriarch who runs it.
nicholaskolevrisroots19 July 2020
Eye opening look into a educational program built around Responsibility, Love, and the huge impact one person can make. set int the jungles of Thailand. This documentary has me rethinking the structure of our educational system in the US and the values we impart there in. Great doc.
Wonder lessons
lindapalmer27 July 2020
Such a heartwarming film and a great lesson to humanity. This film offers so much hope. It will definitely move you. Highly recommend, especially for every teacher to show their students.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A beautiful, inspiring film that should be required watching.
evelyne-828 July 2020
This is a beautiful inspiring film about the heart of a Aew, known as "Mother" to orphaned children in the heart of the Jungle of Thailand. Mother has spent years cultivating a safe home, school, and place for children to thrive in. Creating a Democratic school (based on SummitHill learning philosophy) where they can truly thrive and be seen. What surprised me about this film was the moment to moment filmmaking, beautifully shot and felt that captures the world of these children and even though they are orphans, some having been abused and abandoned they seem truly happy under this deeply nurturing and love at Summithill. My eyes filled with tears more than once when we follow two twin boys who finally get to meet their birth parents who are incapable of caring for them. I also was full with so much awe and hope at when we see the inherent good in children we can trust them to flourish with guidance, love, and respect. There are so many takeaways from this beautiful film, it should be required watching for all.
Touching documentary
Smgrte23586011 August 2020
This documentary is a very interesting look at what I would call a different kind of school and teaching. It's such a great, heart-warming story about what an impact Mother Aew makes on these children's lives. Very touching.
A great documentary
abuckeye-936323 August 2020
6 Weeks to Mother's Days is a about special woman (Mother) that runs a remarkable democratic equal rights and opportunity Children Village School for many of the under privileged. I love everything about these kids and the "Mother" that runs it. Two thumbs up for me
An awesome independant documentary
joeljori10 August 2020
The story is about one of the unsung heroes of Thailand, Rajani Dhongchai. She has run The Children´s Village School in a jungle in Thailand for more than 3 decades.

It´s a real feel good story about a person that has dedicated her life in helping and teaching others. An inspirational story that is beautifully shoot, edited and directed, hence highly recommendable to people that are interested in this kind of stories as well as awesome craftsmanship from those involved in creating this documentary.
An Inspiring, Entertaining, and Beautiful Story
ITbee30 July 2020
6 Weeks to Mother's Day is an inspiring film that was both immensely entertaining and moving! It begins by showing a school in Thailand and the woman, Mother Aew, who has run it for 35 years but within the first 10 minutes, the film draws you into the world of the Children's Village so completely that it feels like you are there with all the students and dedicated teachers. The message of raising children with freedom, choice, and lots of love is a perfect one for our time. The cinematography and technical aspects are excellent. The filmmakers' access to the participants is truly incredible and allows the viewers to witness how Mother Aew transforms the students' lives. This is an amazing film will appeal to both adults and youth. It's highly recommended!
Must see!!!
ckeyta9 May 2020
This film will make you think and empathize. It will transform your perception of humanity and materialistic values. A touching story about devotion, love, sacrifice, and much much more. Sincere and subtle. Beautiful and inspiring. I also loved amazing cinematography capturing pure emotions at the moment and stunning shots of mesmerizing nature. I definitely recommend this film!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is how to tell a story!
scubiedoo-637748 July 2019
This is a fascinating documentary by a very gifted film maker/director. The issue is relevant to us here in the U.S. as we struggle to determine the best way to offer meaningful education options to our people. It begs the question of how we provide a meaningful form of education, particularly to our youngest and most vulnerable, that will best serve them toward a productive life? The film provides answers in the form of Mother Aew, who concentrated on the development of life skills and self respect where the traditional system in Thailand in the 70s offered very little. The very well crafted images provided here drive the story forward in a lush and unique way and remind the viewer how formative an education, and a warm and gifted educator can be. The documentary could have easily been dry and boring, but the director, Marvin Blunte, has chosen images that are beautiful tapestries that touch your soul. I saw it in a theater in NYC. People were crying in the theater!
Not just for teachers!
pklaus-185359 July 2019
I truly enjoyed this often heartwarming look at the daily life of a remarkable school/orphanage in rural Thailand; Korczak's orphanage came to mind. The first half of the film focuses, in detail, on the daily routines of the children living at the school, immersing the viewer in the setting (my favourite bit of the film). As Mother Aew states early on in the film, her community is influenced by Summerhill School in the UK, and having worked there, the resemblance is striking. Especially the school meeting was something that felt very familiar. There was certainly a sense that the children felt empowered in that forum and I am glad the filmmakers gave ample time to showing what these meetings are like. The second half of the film was focused on the preparations leading up to Mother's Day and while entertaining, did not show much new in regards to educational practice. The buildup to the final event was presented in a way that held my attention and I never lost interest. On a personal note, I struggled with the way the community worshipped Mother Aew but this was somewhat offset by her humility. I'd recommend the film to anyone interested in education and children's lives but reckon that most people with a heart would enjoy the film.
Democratic Education in Thailand
nikitatiemann18 July 2019
Hi Guys, I watched the video, because I am interested in alternative education. What I liked about the movie is that it gives a great view about the role of progressive education in Asia, or namely Thailand. The movie's atmosphere is very heart warming and the shots are great. While the subject is serious, the movie is easy to watch and very enjoyable. It left me with a lot of inspiration to do good and and urge to change the world for the better-
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Movie is very heart touching!!
yanisa-1147222 April 2020
6 Week to Mother's Day is the heart warming movie. It's make me appreciate about the word of "Mother" and this movie make me realize that "Mother" isn't the one who gave us life but also the one who look after us, love and support us. in addition "Mother" are also a nature and environment too. This movie is a really good example for educational philosophy student about how to use the philosophy of education like Summerhill School ( Existentialism) in practice in Thailand. I hope 6 Week to Mother's Day will also available in Thai theater soon because this is a movie that everyone shouldn't miss!!
Democratic Education
andy-phil30 April 2020
An informative but more importantly heartwarming and positive story of people coming together to make lives better. This film highlights how every member of a community can be empowered by freedom and responsibility. Should definitely be watched by all.
Beautiful
connielks-9615623 May 2020
If you ever wanted to know what a Boddhisatva looks like, watch this film. A remarkable woman named Mother Aew founded a school and home for orphaned, abandoned, and abused children in the jungles of Thailand, decades ago. This film highlights her work, and the resulting impact of such an enormous undertaking on the lives of the great many children who might have otherwise been lost. Instead of disappearing into desperation or anonymity, the film illustrates how the kindness and dedication of a very few can transform a child's life.

The story is masterfully told by Blunte, who manages to bridge language and cultural barriers with a visual storytelling that captures its essence in a way that is easily accessible to anyone.

Highly recommended to schools, humanitarian organizations, and to individual adults and children alike who are interested in and called by a passion to nurture the innate human spirit in all of us. Well done.
incredible documentary
mich1elle30 October 2020
This heartfelt documentary is beautifully shot. An incredible inspirational story about the caring women Mother Aew and the amazing care she provides to the children under her care.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great indie documentary film
harriscalvin-127 August 2020
6 Weeks to Mother's Day was a great indie documentary film. Director Marvin Blunte did a fantastic job pulling the best interviews from all of his subject matters. The film takes a deep look into the lives of a group of students in the Thai jungle as they prepare for the yearly tradition of honoring their adoptive mother, the principal of their school, Mother Aew . It was really awesome to follow along with the various students and experience some of the challenges they experienced in their everyday lives. I also felt the director did a great job connecting the audience emotionally to the film. The editing, music, & camerawork were all on point.
Ethnographic Experience of a Democratic Children's School in Thailand
GilbertS-853 November 2020
Ah, I needed this - an exceptional film and documentary. The title says it all. Teachers at the Children's Village School (Moo Baan Dek) in Thailand are called Mom or Dad, but one in particular, Rajani Dhongchai, is referred to as "Mother Aew." She is the founder of their school, and her health is failing. We follow the orphanage that aims to celebrate her on Mother's Day in six weeks. The movie rewards us with learning about Thai culture, orphans, children's minds, and what a democratic school looks like with a Buddhist bent through the lead up to this event. I love these kinds of films that easily blend an ethnographic experience into their documentary lens. This school and community is a special place for children and teachers.
Phenomenal
beemtoaustin1 November 2020
This is truly a great documentary and discovery with some amazing life lessons. Do give this uplifting film a look. You will not regret the experience that awaits you.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An emotional and inspiring film worth watching
jimborussell29 October 2020
This is an inspiring and emotional film about a dedicated and caring person who devotes 35 years of her life to orphaned children in Thailand. Filmed with excellent composition that captures these children and the world of being an orphan through struggles and triumphs.
Great heartfelt doc
NZfilmfinder28 October 2020
This is the story of Mother Aew who founded and runs a school she calls the childrens village deep in the remote jungle of Thailand, kind of a halfway home and a school for orphaned children or those from with troubled upbringings. This film is a celebration of her tireless work over 35 years to care for the children coming through her school leading up to Mother's day. We explore the childrens world and environment of the school and Mother herself her philosophies and approach to running this democratic school. This is an uplifting story about the triumph of the human spirit and how kindness and caring can influence many generations.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bravo All The Way Around - I Loved It!
mwcurran28 October 2020
Heartwarming and positive documentary about a woman called 'Mother' who runs a school for unloved children in the jungles of Thailand. Beautifully shot and well crafted treatise on the power of making a difference to those who need it the most - and how that help ripples outward in ever-widening concentric circles. Well worth watching. We could use more films like this.