What Men Want (2019) Poster

(2019)

Very Disappointing
brian-mcintire9 February 2019
My girlfriend and I were looking forward to seeing this. We walked away very disappointed. Teraji P Henson's is a favorite of ours but we found ourselves not even wanting to root for her character.

I like slapstick or over the top humor in measured doses as much as the next guy, but the way her character was portrayed felt more like a mixture of over acting, completely unbelievable behavior in the workplace, and borderline psychotic behavior.

In fact, it was a near perfect portrayal of a psychotic disorder. Through most of the movie she almost completely lacked guilt or remorse, was narcissistic and severely lacked empathy. She was dishonest and manipulative and superficial and reckless.

There's a scene with her father, played by Richard Roundtree, where he attempts to explain her behavior as an unintentional side effect of him not trusting people after his wife left. It just doesn't wash.

We could have forgiven some of this but other issues abounded. For example, the majority of the cast came off as hugely unintelligent. And the affection and loving reaction of her would be love interest, portrayed by Aldis Hodge, to her unfeeling, unloving, selfish behavior, makes no sense at all, unless you fancy imagining a man with no self esteem.l whatsoever.

What happened to movies with believable, identifiable, and lovable characters? Why couldn't her character be portrayed as someone you can honestly believe is real? Or decent, for that mater? Someone who is having real life problems, not just that she's crazy?

We felt insulted just watching the various scenes with her. Also, why did 90% of the men have to be portrayed as dogs, completely unfaithful to their ladies? It's one thing for a man to have thoughts about another woman, like noticing her features, but it's quite another thing to consciously plan adultery or cheating.

The movie makes fun of straight men and homosexuals, but often does it in a demeaning way.

There was just nothing endearing about most of the characters. This movie was painful to watch. We barely made it through it.

She repeatedly demonstrates a complete lack of empathy. She shamelessly uses people. It's clear from the beginning that she is unstable. Her work relationships are unrealistic. She's unprofessional. My girlfriend and so actually felt embarrassed for her.

Look, if you love her like my girlfriend and I do, you will forgive some of these problems and laugh and enjoy some of the movie, but it will test your loyalty to her. It's a horrible movie. She should be ashamed.
90 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forced!!!
msjsavent19 February 2019
This is definitely not one of Taraji's better films...this movie was a complete LET DOWN!!! All the jokes seemed forced...it was an amateur comedy to me.
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What the shizzle!
Paurian8 February 2019
If the language was toned down, and the obvious anti-men/almost-all-men-are-pigs theme that degrades half the demographic were removed, and the sex scenes were rewritten (we don't need condom jokes to understand the nature of the characters) this could have been a really cute Valentine's Day movie about trust, love and understanding.

Even though the movie shows some consequences for some actions, the characters are, for the most part, unbelievable in how they react and change to these events. The movie can't decide if it's a bad, sexist rant, a Wolf-Of-Wallstreet dialogue wannabe, a romantic comedy or a hallmark.
83 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DON'T WATCH IT!!
avross-9835410 February 2019
I've never left a review for a movie in my life but I just had to. Everyone has their different tastes but this movie was NOT good. It had a lot of potential to be great but it was terrible for the most part. The profanity is insane and unnecessary. Normally I'm not bothered at all by a little profanity but there was soooooooo much that it was awkward and didn't even make sense. I'm not sure who the writers were but it was ridiculous. There were little moments that were slightly humorous but mostly forced and predictable vulgar dumb jokes. I've heard people say that they liked it but it honestly makes me question their maturity level. Such a potentially great movie idea but horrible execution. Don't waste your time or money. If you're thinking of watching something else...... pleeeeaaase do! Anything but this.
67 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Junk, don't waste your time
mcollect10 February 2019
I enjoy my fair share of cuss words but this was ridiculous. Not crass funny, just nasty. I was really excited to see this movie but it was not funny like I thought it would be, and sad to see Taraji's talent go to waste.
50 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If I Could Give This 0 Stars I Would...
jeepyjb4 February 2019
The original version of this script/story line with Mel Gibson was well done. Mel Gibson's character was someone you wanted to see come around, and you wanted the main characters to get it right, and It didn't make fun of the male/female dynamic the way this one does. This movie is full of the equivalent of female dick and fart jokes. Did an actual male person have anything to do with this script? The 2000 version had lovable characters trying to figure each other out, while this one just has that nouveau cliche' of women sitting around hating men. A movie made in the time of the marginalized attempting to assert some dominance over a world where they don't think they fit in, when the real enemy is the economic system.
183 out of 322 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who was the man in the movie?
ericsavage22 February 2019
It's obvious purely from the title that the film was going to play heavily on stereotypes, so it was no surprise when the script went out very hard on men. The majority of men's thoughts turned out not just to be sexual, but vulgar. We had a 16 year old girl in our group of watchers, and it was too heavy for a 16 year old.

The real issue was that the female heroine of the movie turned out to be a man. Instead of "what men want", you might as well have called it "what Taraji Henson wants". She was pursuing business deals, doing one night stands, dominating sex, treating co-workers with contempt, everything we were supposed to hate about men, and then being told she needed a special experience in order to understand men? Meanwhile, the most stereotypical woman in the movie was the male PA. If we're going to hit hard on stereotypes, at least play fair.

The original What Women Want did a huge amount to defend women, glorify them and reveal their best qualities to men. What Men Want was mensploitation (if there's such a term, along with whitesploitation) and lacked the class of the original, and while that's not uncommon, I was hoping for a lot more than just a bunch of hoopla laughs. In fact, the movie would have been a lot more fun watching a naive girly woman discovering the secrets of men, learning to avoid their pitfalls and then taking on some of their best qualities to improve herself. That's what the original did.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should be a 0 Star
citiweststore9 February 2019
This movie was non-stop profanity and vulgarity. If you are extremely immature and tasteless, then you may like this movie. What men want is to be able to take their wives or girlfriends to a movie that isn't constant profanity and vulgar humor. We got up and left the movie. Being funny without being filthy was beyond the ability of this movie. If you are a guy, then do NOT take a date to this one. This is the first time in my life that I felt compelled to write a review on a movie. If you have any standard at all, then skip this one. There are plenty of other movies that are worth watching. Spend your money and time elsewhere. The people that created this garbage should be ashamed of themselves, but they probably are as classless as this movie is and will not comprehend why it is so objectionable.
68 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a garbage movie.
sparksaz-9104324 February 2019
Don't spend your money on this....ever....not even as a free Redbox because anything is better than this movie. This was supposed to be a fun date movie for us but we both left the movie feeling somehow like we were not supposed to like each other. It tried not to be a downer with a few fun types of scenes but it was more of a front to help make you feel better about why women today are not supposed to like or trust men and of course because men are pigs. So unless you are the kind of person that likes beating people down because it is fun for you than don't even give this movie a thought. It's that bad.
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothin' like Mel Gibson's great movie "What Women Want"
coastdaze1 March 2019
Flat out this movie was too gross to appreciate the infrequent funny lines. This is about a nasty female in corporate America. I was surprised and disappointed in Taraji taking on this kind of low-class role. For me there was nothing at all entertaining about this movie and it ticked me off seeing another portrayal of this type of woman. I'm trying to think of something to say about the movie, but I can't. It had nothing in it to make it stand out. It was silly and portrayed the ugly, nasty side of some women today. Ultra formula comedy and a waste of film, imo. Gosh, I really dislike it when they put out trash like this...as you can probably tell.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful... doesn't come.close to the Mel's effort.
dazzb65-828-6059718 February 2019
A painfully unfunny film that takes any opportunity it can ro take a sexist attitude toward men. Disappointing in a time of striving for diversity and equality.
69 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun rip off
muamba_eats_toast5 March 2019
Yes it's a complete rip off of what women want but it's fun and passes the time easily with a fair few laughs. Nothing groundbreaking and crude at multiple times throughout. Don't understand how badly some people hate this movie. Give it a chance it may surprise you after all.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Title has a double meaning
gnburt26 February 2019
This was a poor excuse for a romantic comedy! What it really was is an opportunity to bash heterosexual men and places of worship. I've never seen a movie where extreme profanity was used in a church of any kind. It was wrong on many levels. This story has been told before and may I add, much better! According to this movie, straight men are manipulating, sexist, satanic, money hungry liars and creeps. Although she is one of the producers of the film, I don't blame Taraji for this heap of manure. Many fine actors have joined projects only to find out later, it's not what they thought it would be. There were a few funny moments, but not nearly enough to justify sitting through this turd.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nope, not worth the money or popcorn!
dmb73323 February 2019
I had been waiting for this to come out but was promptly disappointed. Took my grown daughter out for her birthday and we were both utterly underwhelmed. Just left shaking our heads at what others are saying is good humor...not in my book.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One star is one to many
willcline-910438 February 2019
You really shouldn't mess with a movie that didn't need to be remade! I tried to watch this but it's garbage i wasted money time and most of all i can't unsee the first 20 mins! Tank👎👎
58 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a disappointment
pete2754025 February 2019
Packed with F bombs. The R rating was an understatement. X would have been more accurate. Tracy Morgan was again disappointing. Save your time and money. Do anything else.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lots of the Jokes are a swing and miss in this one
leopd129 February 2019
Love Taraji and some of the other actors in this movie and wanted to like it. But I walk away thinking this movie is on the bad side of mediocre. Like something you would watch in the middle of the night and you had nothing but basic cable to watch.

The scrip comes off as awkward frequently throughout the movie. Several bizzare lines/scenes that just make you say "wtf" out loud. I wonder what sort of stuff was left on the cutting room floor if this is the stuff that made the movie.

There really isn't much here to draw you in. Most of the humor is jammed in just for the sake of having it.

I can appreciate doing something different with the source material, but this is basically the same exact movie with more sophomoric humor than the original. Any charm that the original had was lost with this script.
27 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Avoid at all cost
jokeritt1 February 2019
Horrible film. The Mel Gibson's side worked this doesn't work and a bit of a racial card jokes in the mix. Anything with Tracy Morgan you know will fail. He can't act nor is he funny.
121 out of 258 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lame remake of a lame movie.
andrsnbn7 February 2019
This is the same movie as "What a Woman Wants", which was pretty crappy, itself. Further proof that there is no more talent or creativity in Hollywood. Re-casting the white male leading role with a black female actor does not make this a new movie. I would have given it 0 stars if I was allowed to.
35 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stolen from Dave Chappelle
OrangieTooDope5 February 2019
The entire idea and story were stolen from a Chappelle show sketch. The only difference is that Chappelle's sketch was funny.
89 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why are films like this still being made?
lizshotter-1940112 March 2019
It's 2019 and we're still being force fed offensive and tired stereotypes of men and women, like geese being prepped for fois gras. It's just boring now. My two boys (22 and 15) have more insight into women than this film tried to give, and they represent a generation that stands with, and respects, women more than any other before it. And it's gratifying to see, but its so dismaying to witness films like this that are still painting men as unfaithful, insensitive and "all the same", and women are labelled as ballsy for treating men appallingly and emancipating them. I appreciate that there was supposed to be a redemption arc to the protagonist, but it gets lost at the expense of the same old tired cliches for cheap laughs. Even the films posters had her holding a pair of tennis balls..*sigh* I'm glad that so many men are writing reviews in recognition of this, we are moving forward, but films like this keep trying to keep us in the dark ages. So tone deaf given the progress we are all trying to make.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Notice the dates of the ratings
SavvyJ968 February 2019
Would say like 90% of the 1/10 comments so far are before the movie even came out in film, just a bunch of trolls, make your own opinion, I thought it was good
117 out of 259 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stop ruining good movies
willcline-9104310 February 2019
Hey i have an ideal lets take black panther put in an all white cast and see how good the movie does!! This was a stupid movie and definitely not what men want. You can't take a movie that wasn't all that good change the race and make it better big flop here....
30 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Racism at it's finest!
willcline-910438 February 2019
The racist jokes in the film does not work! This is just as bad as white chicks racism at it's finest and i hope you know this is not ok
51 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sorry It Missed the Mark...
njritz21 February 2019
I do not want to ruin your movie experience, so I will limit my comments. I watched the movie early on Sunday morning. It was average. Unfortunately, this was one of the those times when the movie trailer over promised. Sorry guys I would give this movie 2 out of 10 stars. It was not terrible and there were times that I actually laughed. I know it just was not as comical as I had hope it would be. I caught myself yawning a lot.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.