The Ghost Who Walks (2019) Poster

Pleasantly surprised. Gritty, low-key small film with strong, realistic feeling performances...Felt similar to Ghost Dog Way Of The Samurai in many ways...
mariusar26 December 2019
Never heard of this film and it seems few others have as well given the lack of reviews here on imdb. Which is a shame because this little film about redemption after a lifetime of crime is worth a viewing. Populated with actors I have never seen before, everyone comes through with taut, genuine feeling performances, backed up by dialog that feels real as well.

This is no over the top cartoon movie about dangerous people doing dangerous things with cheesy dialog and Fast & Furious fantasy stunts.

Garland Scott turns in a very strong performance as a recently released felon who makes a deal with the authorities, snitching on his former criminal associates in return for early release and a new identity. But Scott's character has a deep sense of devotion to the wife and child he left behind and he risks it all to go back to his old neighborhood to reunite with his family, all the while being hunted by those whom he betrayed. Scott plays the strong, silent type throughout, capable of instant violence yet tempered by a still decent heart.

As I mentioned in the title, this film to me does have some similarities with the excellent Ghost Dog Way Of The Samurai which featured the breakout performance by the great Forrest Whitaker. Both films are quiet films, avoiding excessive music and score accompaniment which actually lets the actors and movie breathe a bit.

Technically, the film is similarly low key, shot with competence instead of cinematic trickery.

The film is far from perfect. But what is there is an old story competently executed and definitely worthy of a viewing.

I give it strong 7.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Story Filmed in STL
elzberra7 March 2020
Overall a solid story with a lot of grit, depth, and emotion, definitely worth watching. Also, it was filmed in St. Louis, something any STL local will appreciate and enjoy seeing.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I kinda love this movie
reinaproductions10 March 2020
Yes it's an indie and a good one, good little story, really nice production values, good shooting and editing, ok some of the side plots were meh and it could have lost 10mins but all the performance's were very good and lets talk about the lead "Garland Scott" wow good job. Nice flix.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best movie I've seen in a while.
hidropidro13 January 2020
The story was good, the acting was great, the movie was awesome.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Edge of your seat intense
brandonknoblauch27 March 2020
An intense film with great acting and a great story.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An entertaining mix of Christmas and Crime
nova86129 December 2019
The Ghost Who Walks is about a man in prison who desperately wants to see his young daughter for Christmas. He informs on his crime colleagues in exchange for his freedom, and then has to face the consequences of having ratted them out. It's a long chase and cat-and-mouse game over 24 + hours in the grimier areas of St. Louis. It has such a sense of place and character, similar to other noirs like Hell and High Water, or Blue Ruin, or dare I say going all the way back to the Coen Brothers debut, Blood Simple. A wonderful, doomed performance by Garland Scott, and a cast of colorful and often funny characters like a Santa Claus who runs a Salvation Army kettle scam. Did I mention there are A LOT of Santas in this movie? The last scene is funny, dangerous, and heartbreaking. The director started as a DP and it shows in the chases and action sequences. An entertaining indie even if you don't believe in Santa Claus.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Huh?
mjdk212 January 2020
I have no clue why this movie was made! While the acting is good, the storyline is boring and pointless. Better version of this type of storyline have been done ad nauseam decades ago. Watching this thing is a perfectly waste of time. I wom't bother getting into the plot as there really isn't anything of essence.
11 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Got potential but trying way too hard
yc95510 April 2020
Interesting low budget indy with pretty good acting. But putting too much plastic where should have been the real thing, don't know if because of the budget of the crews imagination. Anyway, the fast forward did help through it.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The indies are getting better
ReadingFilm20 December 2019
What I like is how it remarks on its own genre. It plays the song we know, and the song it's playing. It's self-aware. It settles when we expect it to accelerate, or slams on the pedal when we settle. It wants to provoke us; really our participation is incidental like it's playing to the grand audience. Christmas time gives this universality of the ghost of theater. Of course: "The Ghost Who Walks". I see a lot of this in UK film, the bursts of humor, violence, the black humor. But the US brings that city underbelly, that noir and irresistible soul. The film is in love with film and filmmaking, which is contagious, but why it's special, and distinct from the genre is it's in love with the underdog. It is more interested in the strange, not the beautiful. You feel among this eclectic cast. Frank Mosley's performance as Stitches is 'that guy', you know him in a lot of these films, but here is like channeling a great wildness and discipline simultaneously. He turns it inside out. He calibrates Stitches to come undone in the way like it's crossing two traditions, the indie film + blockbuster. It's why I kept thinking of this as a millennial feat, there's a bit of Beetlejuice in there, Bobcat, Dustin Hoffman, but he plays the song while playing his own. Like he's slipping a dose in our drink, of the indie medicine. The best compliment is it's a performance backed by great experience. Looking it up, the director was a DP first and it reads, they shoot and shoot and it's infectious for us. I couldn't not think of The Matrix either with this foreboding impending feeling across it, and though it's not sci-fi at all, it's as if it shares some DNA with the cyberpunk, they all share in that Kafka-esque, the sci-fi labyrinth we oft receive as a proxy for the theater of the mind. Best for last, 'the stretch' from the brothel to the car, feels straight out of GTA, a full VR that comes completely unexpected mining new areas for immersion. The indies are getting better. They're taking all the lessons and going farther with it.
22 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good for about 40 minutes
Draysan-Jennings31 December 2019
Started out decent then about 40 minutes into it, the film starts to really slow down. About 20 minutes of just nothing going on I decided to turn it off. Just became extremely boring. Wouldn't recommend it.
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gritty crime in the streets of St. Louis
ericsm-127639 April 2020
An ambitious crime drama that sits nicely among the backdrop of St. Louis during the festive Christmas season. Director Cody Stokes shows poise and promise. Lead actor Garland Scott will make waves well into the future. Indie movie or not, this one has it's moments when it hits you hard. The art direction and cinematography are wonderful. The cast and crew did an excellent job putting together an art piece so raw and gritty too. This film sheds colorful light and pleasant ambiance on the dark recesses of a tarnished city. The action, the thrills, the character development; all well done in their own right. Minus it's basic and understandable blemishes, it still shines during Christmas time!
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie pins you to the edge of your seat from the start right into the ending
skeeweethree11 April 2020
You must see this film. Ignore the reviews that don't see stellar acting performances by an ensemble cast or an African-American leading man who missed his daughter growing up and at all costs to retrieve that relationship brought IT to this film. Don't even take my word for it, just see for yourself ...
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing good about this one.
deloudelouvain20 January 2020
Another movie where you can skip reading the "false" positive reviews, trust me on that. While the acting wasn't the worst, the plot was just boring and laughable. It starts promising but quickly it becomes one of those movies you regret you started watching it. The end is even more ridiculous, I won't tell you anything about it as you never know that you still want to watch it. I wished I had read the negative reviews about this one before watching it, it would have saved me two hours of my life that I will never get back.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't waste your time
mparam-0447411 April 2020
Interesting start, then the movie goes no where. Waste of time.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty Darn Good Movie
wandernn1-81-68327414 April 2020
I wasn't expecting much, but this movie was done pretty well. Good acting from the lead. Some good fights. I liked the story. And the ending, was definitely not what I was expecting. Definitely worth the watch.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Film That Provides
Tri-State_Skater20 November 2020
This movie did a lot with its $250,000 budget. It's not perfect, and obviously the funding was an issue, but it was still really good. The characters flow well together, and you care about them. Their bonds make up for some of the quick exits. The plot had a few holes, but they weren't that bad. The action was top notch, especially for a low budget film. I get the feeling they wanted a sequel at the end.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Have a merry gritty Christmas.
Mary_Crewe20 November 2020
I was pulled in by the title and the picture I saw on Netflix, but the acting, directing, cinematography, lighting, and story kept me here. A blue tinted look at a cold city story about a man, Nolan, recently released from prison who snitched to get himself out. He wants to find his daughter, Amy, and the woman he loves, Lena, but having snitched complicates things. Lena is with the man who wants him dead to give their daughter a better life and Nolan has a hard time holding onto people who can help him.The ending is open ended enough that we can get hit hard by a sad reality or hope for a sequel.

I loved the film. It's powerful and a showcase of talen that mainstream Hollywood is missing out on, like the actress who played the older woman, Dunya, Garland Scott as Nolan, the character actor that is Frank Mosley as Stitches, the actresses who played the sex workers beacause they show what a lack of father can do to you (although, I realize not all sex workers may feel unwanted), all the guys who played the henchmen gangsters (the oder white guy who tried to warn Nolan felt so real and it was hard to tell whose side he was on) who got me worried for Nolan's life, Monty's actor who made this dirty money man feel real, the little actress who plays Amy who made every scene so cute and heartbreaking, and the woman who played Lena so well I wondered if she was good but it became so easy to connect with her choices through this actress.

Also, the others, like pops, the taxi driver, the friends of Nolan's in the store, the waitress, and the rest of them helped give the movie a memorable and enjoyable feel.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Black man once again without the. Black woman
neket-6936217 November 2020
I watched up until he found his love interest. Idk about y'all but I'm so tired of seeing black men and women with anybody but black men and women. They could t stand us now it's like we don't even want each other let them tell it. Boring same ole same. His love interest shoulda been a hot African woman with a big ole fro. I'm done with these types of movies
The ending.....
mrbigkai17 November 2020
Great movie and great plot , but what was with that ending. Can we get a part two please.
Stay away!!!
What a piece crap!!! I continued watching this only out of curiosity. The acting was horrendous. The dialogue was terrible. It probably could have been a not too bad movie because the storyline was okay.... but the ACTING!!!??? There was so much unnecessary dialogue. What a waste of time.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Acting With Unrealistic Sceneries
zac-6827411 April 2020
Exceptional cast of actors with a script that loses it momentum. Too many Square pegs into round holes.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A father wants to meet his daughter.
saptesh7869 January 2020
Story is so emotional. A father returning form jail seeks his family and wish to live with them. But new situation is different. His wife married to another man and daughter does not know him as a father. Lastly we can see how a father meets to his daughter without revealing his identity. Whole plot is average and presentation is very slow. Besides main plot some stupid sub plot is also patched like brothel, shores & Christmas dress etc. They all feel a nonsense. which was unnecessary and interrupt us between main link. Such average story must have shorter then it might be effective. From long waiting for actual moment we feel boring and movie lost his importance. So my recommendation is you can avoid it if possible. 4 star is enough.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forgettable
fmwongmd13 April 2020
Two dimensional characters playing parts in a fictional universe is not recommended.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.