The Legend of Halloween Jack (2018) Poster

We don't tell anyone.
nogodnomasters12 October 2018
Druid Jack Cain (William Wolfe Hogan) is accused of two grizzly murders. He gets off on a technicality. Several of Dunwich's finest get together and enact vigilante justice and bury the body. A year later Jack is back from the grave and enacting his own revenge.

The film and characters were dry. There is no excuse to create characters with zero personality. Even Jack seemed a waste. If you are going to kill everyone differently, make the manner fit the individual.

Guide: F-word. No sex or nudity.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow, this was phenomenally bad...
paul_haakonsen14 February 2019
What did I get myself into when I decided to watch "The Legend of Halloween Jack". I had not even heard of the movie, prior to stumbling up on it. I looked at the movie's cover/poster and decided to give it a chance, on the off-chance that it might actually be worthwhile watching.

That was not the case. I ended up giving up about 25 minutes into the ordeal known as "The Legend of Halloween Jack".

The storyline in the movie was simple, to the point where it was toe curling and cringeworthy to witness on the screen. Then when you thought it couldn't get any worse, then came the scene where they decided on vigilante justice on the killer and shot him. Oh my god, seriously? The blood effects were seriously some of the worst CGI effects that I have ever witnessed on the screen. It was seriously such an eyesore, and I wonder how anyone in 2018 could go "sure, this will pass as being good effects. No, no one will notice that it looks like it is made on a Commodore 64. Trust me."

If even felt as if the actors themselves didn't fully buy into the script and the storyline, because the acting performances were questionable, staggering and amateurish at best. Which just punched the movie right in the stomach, and made it hard for the movie to recover any momentum and get back on track.

I managed to get to see the scarecrow as he returned from the dead, just before I got up and decided to end the misery and watch something else. And not even seeing the villain made me stop up for a second and watch what direction that would take the movie in.

Do you enjoy a good horror movie? Then you should definitely stay well clear of the 2018 "The Legend of Halloween Jack" movie.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Legend of Halloween Jack: Being a tad generous here
Platypuschow13 October 2018
The Legend of Halloween Jack is a British horror movie that tells the story of a serial killer who returns from the grave after being killed by vigilantes. Brought back as scarecrow.............for some reason, he sets about getting revenge.

Though the cinematography is strong enough, the lack of budget is demonstrated everywhere else. From the weak cast to the shoddy sfx it's a masterclass of amateur film making.

Though the killer looks okay his presence is ruined by cutaway/poor deaths and the fact we've seen that very same appearance before. Erm, why was he a scarecrow again?

The plot also is heavily recycled, there is very little in the way of originality here and though it's not the worst of its ilk that I've seen it's still a mess.

I've seen a fair few of Andrew Jones movies now and don't believe off the top of my head that I've seen a good one. This shows signs of competence, but only dashes.

The Good:

Script is better than you'd imagine

The Bad:

Opening credits are bafflingly irrelevant and poorly thought out

Laughable blood sfx

Crappy kills

CGI graves, really?

Moronic horror trope finale

Things I Learnt From This Movie:

Blood packs are expensive

Sticking a pencil in a guys butthole isn't gay

Seeing a person in a halloween costume at a halloween party will cause mass panic
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There's no redeeming qualities to this film that makes it worth a watch
kevin_robbins14 October 2021
The Legend of Jack Halloween (2018) is a movie I recently gave a shot on Amazon Prime despite being advised against it. 😂 The storyline follows a ghost of a man who was executed a year earlier by a vigilante. He is now back on Halloween night to get his revenge. This movie is directed by Andrew Jones (The Manson Family Massacre) and stars Jo Hart (Jurassic World), Jason Gregg (A Killer Next Door) and Sarah John (Jurassic Predator). The opening of this movie is actually pretty solid and had a Rob Zombie feel to it and it gets your hopes up...then you see the killer's costume and wonder what happened to the cover art 😂. The kills unfortunately aren't that good and lack solid gore elements. Most of the film is fairly corny, especially the ending. The acting is also mediocre to bad across the board. Overall there's no redeeming qualities to this film that makes it worth a watch. I'd score this a 2/10 and recommend skipping it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do not waste your time or money on this!
Stevieboy66620 October 2018
Cool looking cover, I picked this up in the DVD budget section whilst out shopping. Pity I didn't read the production credits on the back cover first, had I seen director's name Andrew Jones then I would have left well alone ,having had the misfortune to sit some of his other movies. It was filmed in South Wales, Britain, yet laughably - like some of his previous works - tries to pass itself off as American. Half the characters have British accents, the other half are failed attempts by bad actors trying to be American. As for the rest of the film it's simply awful. Rubbish killer. Very little gore. Bad acting. Bad script. The only good thing here are random clips from various old horror movies (White Zombie, NOTLD, Carnival of Souls, etc), but what purpose they serve I dont know. The worst film that I have seen with the word Halloween in it's title by a long shot, my advice is give it a miss!
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Misses the mark.
parry_na24 November 2018
This latest offering from North Bank Entertainment takes place in Dunwich - or Jonesworld - a Neverland that occasionally features in Andrew Jones' films, where some people speak with American accents, and some people don't. The very British décor indicates we're on UK soil, but I get the impression the film is supposed to be set Stateside. The most American American is Beckham-browed policeman Brodie Sangster (Jamie Knox). He is seeing potty-mouthed Jennifer (Sarah John), daughter of Frank, Sangster's boss.

This isn't one of North Banks' best. It's inevitable that with such a prolific turnover, not every release will be a zinger. There's a bigger cast here than usual, and none of the characters are particularly interesting. Also, sound problems that plagued certain scenes in earlier films is still an issue which, after all this time, is irritating. I enjoy the way clips from black and white horror films are sprinkled throughout the action (I recognised 'White Zombie', 'Carnival of Souls' and 'Nosferatu' amongst others), but ultimately the story of resurrected wrong-doer Jack Cain misses the mark more often than not.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Small film that only shoots for small
jmbovan-47-16017316 August 2020
Grade B horror film that is short on the horror and scares. Okay plot but with empty story lines, cliched ending (and cliched double ending). This is a small film that stays small, and it doesn't know what to do with it leaving the audience short of enjoyment. So there isn't much more than the legend without much of a reason for it.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Was this an university project? Did they had 50$ for special effects?
destroyerwod13 October 2021
This was #13 on my Halloween Season movie marathon. I try to mix a bunch of style, from high budget recent movies to classics i still had to watch and of course some low budget flicks that looks interesting. I seen my fair share of low budget horror movies, i am not too demanding in general. I know what they are and what to expect. Often very cool covers but average movies trying the best they can with what they got. Sometimes im surprised in a good way, other times... well...other times there is The Legend of Halloween Jack.

Base plot is simple enough, an undead killer coming back from the grave to take revenge. Its been done many times, and as a scarecrow as well, so i wasn't looking for originality. Just good kills and such.

Sadly this movie is lower than low budget. The special effects, the few there are, are laughable bad. One exemple... someone shoot a gun, they use digital blood splash like you would see in a youtube video by Angry Joe or such... then once the computer stuff is gone, the body is squeaky clean, like they couldn't even afford fake blood? Even with a low budget, if they couldn't afford fake blood bags in the shooting itself, they could had made a cut after the shooting and then return to the body to show it all bloody. Fake blood cost pennies to make...

This thew me off immediately. Then the rest of the deaths are all super lame, offscreen or half shown. The sad part is i don't feel the rest is that bad. Actors were alright, filming itself was fine, the sets were fine too, its really just the lack of budget in the SFX departement that kills the movie. Whats the point of a slasher flick if the deaths are crap?

In term of plot, its basic as it can get and they don't really bother to gives us a reason/explanation on why "Halloween Jack" is back. The old cliché of "its magic don't ask".

So ultimately i think this movie COULD had been decent if they had a proper budget for special effects/deaths and gave us more interesting characters we care about, but in its current state i kept looking at my phone for time and almost turned it off many times because i didn't find enjoyement in it. I am giving 3 stars because as i said there is some parts that are done ok and i just feel they were restrain by the budget.
Not bad
Marynewcomb20131 March 2019
Ignore the hate reviews because 99% of those are paid for!! Never listen to a one line review or one that doesn't tell you anything about the film!! This is a low budget film & I will honestly say, low budget is mostly better than big budget!! Some of the effects could have been better like the blood. The blood in one scene was watery but other than that, it stays true to what horror should be!! It's not gory & that alone gives this movie a good rating!! It's got a good storyline & at times the writing is a little bad but still pretty good. The editing in some parts is bad! Example is Jack kills a man & his wife & the next scene has a cop rushing to the house with his lights going, walks in like he's thinking the killer is still there & finds the bodies but how did he know to even go there is the question!! For fans of true horror films, I say this, give it a watch because it is better than what the big budget studios are doing!! One more thing, people need to understand there is a difference in horror and gore!! Gore is only that, it's about the gore!! Horror leaves things to the imagination & tells a story!!
0 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One tiny step above awful.
berg-745321 October 2020
One that irritates me about other amateur reviewers which I clearly am is why they give a synopsis. Why do people put in details of plot and and list what happens it makes absolutely no sense is it because they like pretending to be a professional reviewer. The movie has a section that does that why ? Movie sucked it's filled with every cliche that has a connection revenge movies and horror movies. It has an identical plot of Nightmare on Elm street, other than the guilt of the killer. I'm going to give one detail about the plot that should explain how little sense this movie makes and how it seemed to be slapped together by different people who did not communicate with each other. When is the only time you would expect someone dressed as a human scarecrow even if it has a scythe and not be alarmed by it, in unison at a Halloween costume party. So a vampire, werewolf and several other people walk in and causes no alarm but scarecrow in a fantastic scarecrow outfit walks in and to this point no one at the party is aware of an evil scarecrow running around killing people and also has no obvious signs he's snapping necks or bashing heads in with a rolling pins it's just a guy dressed as a scarecrow entering a costume party screams, pushing and shoving with mild trampling occurs. Like I said this is the only situation that a guy dressed as a scarecrow should be expected and yet everyone runs as this totally normal thing occurs. This happens close to the end and many equally stupid things occur but as far as I'm concerned this is the single event in the movie that shows how stupid this movie is. And at the end it's perfectly clear the morons who made this planned on sequels. The people involved other than the people who wrote this and maybe the director have talent because other than this is a Elm Street rip-off the acting is fine and it didn't look like money was an issue these people can make a respectable film it's just plagued by some head scratching moments of clear nonsense.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Coulda Been Decent but too many Cap Guns & Plot Holes 🕳
knightox29 October 2019
You know if the producers had paid just a little more attention to detail they might have had something with this ultra-low budget horror film 🎞. It's fairly a common storyline, "Revenge from Beyond the Grave". Basically a murderer who has his case dismissed is abducted by a group of the victims' male family members. This guy Jack Cain is strung up as a scarecrow and shot to death 💀. Then they unceremoniously bury him. One of the shooters, Johnny, returns to the burial spot exactly one year later. Cain had warned them of living with their guilt for killing an innocent man. Well now drunk 🥃 Johnny can't and he proceeds to blow💨 his brains out all over Cain's grave. His blood seeps deep into the soil and just like that, "Halloween Jack" arises and he's ready for revenge on those who murdered him! (They really should have at least covered him with a little dirt on his costume.) Johnny's body is discovered and other members of the shooting squad begin to fall victim to Jack. Another thing that doesn't make much sense is when the mayor (one of the shooters) goes to ask Johnny's mom about Cain. He does this just to make sure Johnny never told her about the secret shooting. She makes it obvious she doesn't know anything after explaining she already told that to Colin Holt, the chief police inspector, the day before. For some UNEXPLAINED reason the mayor asks her while she's crying for some "biscuits 🥘? Then while she's getting them he comes up behind her and STABS 🔪her to death?!? I couldn't figure that one out. I thought maybe the directors were trying to make us believe that it was really the mayor behind Cain's supposed murders in the first place. Nice twist I thought. However the next scene shows the mayor at home being a jackass 🐴 to his wife about burning 🔥cupcakes. He demands she make more and huffs down in his La-Z-Boy. The next thing you know Halloween Jack slips into the house and slices his throat without any flare or drama. So much for the storyline with the mayor being a killer or being slowly punished for his crimes. Jack kills the mayor's wife too which didn't make much sense since she had nothing to do with Jack's execution. The story continues with Officer Holt being the lone survivor of the original shooters. He finally tells his young deputy Brodie about executing Cain and later finding out later Cain never murdered anyone! Brodie then tells Holt he's been secretly dating his daughter Jennifer for the last four months. Holt then gives Brodie a .38 special cap gun 🔫 and tells him to go get Jennifer at a Halloween party and bring her back to the police station. In the meantime Holt goes to see a psychic friend of Cain's to ask about Cain's past. They get into a confrontation and Holt accidentally discharges his pistol (it really does sound like a cap gun!) into the psychic's chest, killing him instantly. At the Halloween party somehow, Jack knows exactly where to show up. And for some reason he's stopped killing for revenge and has now turned to all out slaughter. How he kills 😵the kids at the party is down right laughable! They really should have worked on this. This is where the cheapness really showed through. Finally Jack goes outside 🌙 and there's Brodie and Jennifer waiting on him (like they couldn't hear all the blood curdling screams and carnage going on just inside). Brodie shoots Jack with his .38 caliber cap gun but Jack gets up. Just then Chief Inspector Daddy Colin Holt comes in the door and shoots Halloween Jack down with his trusty Smith & Westen .44 Magnum cap gun 🔫. Holt then tells them to leave, figuring Jack will be back up any moment. And he's right, Jack is there looking right back at him. Trying for a heroic last chance to destroy Jack, Holt twists open a compressed air tank 🛢.He talks some trash to Jack then hits a lighter and a very poor CGI explosion💥 occurs. The biggest problem with this is the fact he was already standing in a room with DOZENS of Halloween candles 🕯 already lit! Again what were the directors thinking? The movie ends one year later with Jennifer going to visit her father's grave. As she's leaving she notices Jack Cain's tombstone right beside her father's. Ain't that a kick? She then notices a small plastic Jack-O-Lantern in front of Cain's headstone. For some reason she decides to pick it up and then suddenly we see the arm 💪 of Halloween Jack grab her hand 🤚followed by a dubbed in scream (obviously not hers). And there ya have it. The End.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Higher budget & this would have been sweet. The concept is on point!
ScottDWhalen13 October 2018
Good Concept bad low budget almost didn't want to watch it cause of it, but hey low budget could use some love to especially when its a good concept like this. Maybe it will improve if its liked enough.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
British slasher
codygdietrich14 July 2019
So much untapped potential with the storyline: It's basically a British slasher, so people die but there isn't a lot of blood spilling out which is kinda nice but some of the deaths seem like something from a low budget haunted house. If they had spent time to develop the storyline a bit more and the characters it would be a great film.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why
SwalesFilm3 February 2019
Why no action? Why did a distributor pick this up? Good dvd cover. That is all that is good about this.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amateur effort at best. Costume is cool though
jorgito200115 August 2019
Overly long & drawn out dialogue scenes, cap gun sounding gun shots, horribly edited deaths, this movie is pretty bad. I gave it an extra star for the very cool costume the ghoul wears in the movie (would be EPIC come Halloween time). Unfortunately, we don't see much until the very end of the film. Too little too late. Even the film being set around Halloween couldn't save it. Don't waste your time!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
God awful
Michael_Takes7 October 2018
A terrible beginning. Suspected murderer Jack Cain goes free due to the failure of experienced police officer Frank Hollister to tell the suspect his rights (because he forgot, after/due to the chase down). Something that should be impossible! Anyway, due to this the search of the suspects person, home and vehicle is deemed illegal and the suspect goes free. The court case alone almost had me turning the movie off, it was that poorly written and executed.

Soon some of the family members of the victims, and Hollister, capture, string up, mask (in a strangle Smiley mask), and kill Cain, yet not before the suspect recites some sort of occult-ish curse before being shot to death and buried.

One year later one of the group of men who killed Cain commits suicide out of guilt. The blood of the suicide victim mixes into the earth where Cain was buried, and causes the resurrection of Cain, who begins to hunt those responsible for his murder.

Hollister becomes the last survivor and tells his (oddly American) fellow officer the truth about the murder of Jack Cain. At this time we discover that the officer has since discovered that Cain was not the murderer, that a person who had since been arrested for different murders confessed to the original murders too.

The police officer finds a friend of Jack Cain, who is also into the occult, who discusses Cain's practices of the occult, and his ideas of life after death. Linking to the Roman, druids, and Celts time of 40-400 A.D, Cain's friend discusses the Druid's belief in self sacrifice, suicide to increase his power. The police officer in a moment of panic and disbelief, attempts to arrest but shoots Cain's friend.

At the nearby Halloween party the American police officer arrives to take the other police officers daughter to the station. Cain arrives and starts to kill party goers (who for some reason all freak out and try to run when Cain in his mask arrive (even thought it's a Halloween concert!). Cain kills several people, and soon comes face to face with Frank Hollister, who turns on a gas propane bottle, and blows himself and Cain up.

One year later Hollister's daughter visits the graves of her father and Cain, whose arm (of course) bursts through the dirt and grabs her.

This is the definition of a low budget movie, yet this is in no way a fun cheesy B movie. This could have been better with a few million dollars and a proper script, however this is a bad movie. The dialogue is bland, the kills happen off camera so there is no scare factor, the acting is average, with some being passable (the police officers daughter, American police officer) and others being awful (the rest).

Don't bother.
9 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Halloween Cack!
jcallender12119 January 2019
I gave this 2 stars because some time and effort was spent but you could say that about vegan barbecues, at the end of the day they're both a waste of time. There's nothing here of any interest at all, the acting is about as convincing as a butterfly with a fake moustache trying to get into a sheep only nightclub, the story is just thrown together, I didn't care who got killed or even understand why a couple of them died. The killer is rubbish, he comes back from the dead after being tied to a cross and shot, so why does he have a witches hat, a noose round his neck and brand new boots on, I've woken up next to scarier things after a night on the vodka. Trust me, this isn't a clever homage to the old slasher flicks, more like putting lipstick on a potato, completely pointless..
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Halloween Rip Off
tonycollums27 June 2020
This is one of the worst horror movies ever. Don't waste your time. The best part of this movie is the clips shown from old horror movies. The budget for this movie must've been about $ 100.00.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Halloween Jack should have stayed in the grave.
ejmc11121 October 2018
Way too much muddled dialogue from a cast of below average actors. Why didn't someone tell the people who made this movie that it is so slow moving and boring that it is like watching the neighbors vacation movies from a trip to a knitting festival. If you want to get some rest on a Saturday afternoon just pop this gem in the player, and you will be asleep in no time. It could have been a good movie if it had better actors, writers, a plot, and a less goofy looking villain. No spoilers in this review, as I couldn't spoil this movie by writing it down line for line! Watching the movie was the biggest spoiler, as I would have preferred watching this DVD melt in my fireplace over watching it play on my TV. Big PASS on this POS film. If you see a rating higher than one star on this check to see if the reviewer is in the film or related to someone in the film. I have seen some terrible movies, but this movie makes them look like Oscar winners. I want to make a movie called "The Legend of The Legend of Halloween Jack" it will be about how people who watched this film mysteriously died of complete boredom.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than the average horror flick!
kylemb-846573 February 2020
Okay so where to begin, this movie is obviously a pretty cheap low budget horror flick but I have to give whoever made this movie some credit for making a rather fun slasher film. So after hearing about this movie I googled it to see what other movies the director had made previous to The legend of halloween Jack and then I found out this is the man who directed all 5 Robert movies! I know you all must be as shocked as me because if you share my opinions on this movie then you would agree its rather insane to realise that. The plot for this movie is pretty damn simple because its about a man (Jack) who has been wrongfully accused for murder by a few men who believe that they are right in every way about Jack being guilty, after they torture Jack he rises back from the grave to seek revenge on them who wronged him that halloween night. The kills are pretty fun and there is one particularly fun scene of mass murder at a disco which is extremely memorable to me! I hope you all go watch this above average horror flick that's got a memorable and pretty cool slasher villain who got his own sequel 1 year later.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Legend of the Messy Hair
Andystar7721 November 2021
Seriously what's the wrong with actors hair !!! Most of them have Messy terrible weird hair they look like if they were a sleep just before the shooting!!! Even the judge has a terrible mustache!!!!

As for the film it's terrible the deaths are so lame the blood look so fake and all the actors are so cold as if they're on drugs !!!

Not to mention the guns oh boy !!!!

It's a terrible film, but a terrible film you can watch : it looks like GWTW comparing with Halloween Tales 2017 (oh that was the lamest film I've ever seen it really deserved 10- out of 10 ), but still if u want to have a good time keep away from this one.
Oh halloween jack
aleksandercieply28 January 2021
I love this film. I dont know why many people hate it
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So Bad!!
nickjharwood9 October 2018
I love any horror films, low budget, indie whatever. But this is really awful. You can tell from the first 5 minutes that it's goung to be bad. Acting, special effects ...all just like some 5 year old has done it. Avoid at all costs
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wrong in many ways
lucianv-470217 October 2018
This film is supposed to be based in dunwich, Suffolk, England but they have American houses, and they mentioned Sacramento bay which don't exist, Sacramento does but that is in America, the acting is awful, there is English and American accent and there are a lot of mistakes that the director and producer shouldn't of made.
10 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good script worst making
chandrakanthullas-0797919 November 2018
This is the worst making i have seen in the hollywood movies Totaly spoiled the script Worst editing and unwanted and disguisting bgm s The blood visuals seems like pic art
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.