Auggie (2019) Poster

(2019)

Deserves a higher rating
franklindf23 September 2019
This is a pretty good movie. It has a science fiction element obviously, but once you're past that, everything is completely believable as good science fiction ought to be. The aging man is sent into retirement and finds himself in a stale and lifeless situation. Thus, his retirement gift has particular relevance to him given his damaged ego, low self-esteem, and monotonous marriage. The gift of course is the glasses which provide a life-like companion programmed with AI to tend perfectly to the needs and whims of the wearer. It's an interesting premise that reminds me somewhat of "Her" which deals with similar subject matter. But this movie isn't just a cheap copy of "Her" as it has a fresh take on matters. The AI character is played by Christen Harper, who is absolutely gorgeous in this. I'd watch the movie just for her, and in a way you're sharing the main characters experience of interacting with her. It's completely relatable the man needs a break from his bossy and overbearing wife and finds refuge in the beautiful companion. There are a few week points to the movie - it's fairly predictable, and the pacing feels a bit slow. And without going into specifics, the ending isn't really satisfying. That aside, it's definitely worth watching and the IMDB rating should be a bit higher in my opinion.
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I have seen much worse , higher rated movies that's for sure
onlinevirtual21 September 2019
I think the suspense and originality of the movie provides enough for it to be higher rated than it is
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could be the future??
tocanepauli21 September 2019
Spooky movie if you think this could be the future! Not too far removed from what is happening in the world of artificial intelligence!
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A firm "no".
pauliecorleone-7262821 September 2019
Richard Kind can do drama. Matt Kane cannot direct. Christen Harper should not act. Watch Ex-Machina, Her, S1mone; hell, watch Bicentennial Man for Robin Williams or even Cherry 2000, Westworld, and D.A.R.Y.L. to satisfy that vintage hunger pang -- go re-watch Black Mirror if you must but Auggie? It will unapologetically bore you out of 1h20m of your life and if that doesn't sound so bad, consider this. Hitchcock's Rope, Before Sunset, Run Lola Run, they all clock in at 80 minutes running time, too.

What are you still doing here?
17 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The inner speech phenomenon
frankcornejonetwork23 September 2019
Watching this movie led me to google "self talk voice in my head."

I would enjoy watching more movies that expand on inner speech.

While talking to yourself is often regarded a social no-no, possibly hinting at psychological problems, ongoing research suggests that point of view requires revision.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent film let down by a poor end
frankemerson21 September 2019
I enjoyed this film, slow as it was at times. If your a fan of the genre, you will enjoy it too.There is no sex, violence or bad language, but the story is good. I did think it petered out at the end though and seemed to me to end very suddenly and poorly.It was probably mostly a six and a half, but loses a point for the ending.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rating would be less if not for Richard Kind
Promising concept but unfortunately the only worthwhile actor is Richard Kind. The remainder of the cast is just wooden and the stark contrast is hard to ignore.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
awful script
giannhs_karfo26 September 2019
This is a fine example of waste of tallent. Great directing, photocgraphy and editing came together. But there was no actual story to tell. Its marked as Sci-Fi while its actualy the totaly unscietific, technophobia of the writer. roled into a bad family story.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite real
baturbaslar24 April 2021
Even though this film has a science fiction element it is not really about artificial intelligence, but more about a lifeless, middle class, job and success oriented way of thinking and living, hence a similar (also one sided) marriage. Sad but quite real. The ending is irrelevant and shallow, still somehow it reinforces the idea of living in a society where self-deception is a skill in chasing a false notion of moral correctness.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring story
Angel_Spy13 October 2019
Idea is cool, predictable, adaptable but story was soooo slow that bored every second. Surely acting was pretty nice too but all wasted because of the flow of the story.

I dont recommend to people who wanna see some sci-fi since it doesnt satisfying unless you wanna watch more boring than real life some daily marriage drama.
1 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good inspiring idea
ks-6050010 October 2019
I love the idea that can bring out something so real. Any tech company bring this to our life will be a big money maker. But sadly the film not filmed nicely, the storyline can be stronger and expect something more huge than just some foreseeable outcome.
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.