The Rookie (TV Series 2018– ) Poster

(2018– )

2nd Season Please
tinajo627 March 2019
Please bring this show back for a second season. Nathan has many fans, not to mention the rest of the cast is great. Pls pls pls.
67 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much better than I was expecting - thus far (+EDITS)
TheTopDawgCritic17 October 2018
At first I thought "no please, not another cop show" and I wasn't sure about Nathan Fillion as a cop. But I must say, the directing is spot on, and the writing is refreshing - especially the relationships of the rookies and their T.O's, their relationship with each other, the conflicts they have to deal with, and the use/views of the body cams. Also surprisingly, Fillion is perfect for this part and nails his role, and all other actors were perfectly cast and also are great in their roles. I especially appreciate seeing the various parts of L.A. and the different people/conflicts the LAPD has to deal with - outside and within the force. So far so good, let's hope the writing progresses as good at the pilot was throughout the season. A well deserved 8/10 from me.

EDIT: 4/2019 - upped my score from 8 to 9/10... the writing has vastly improved; more realistic (and original) drama, and much less cliched cheese. Keep it up guys!
168 out of 200 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Veteran Police Officer Applauds
pjball17 October 2018
As an active police officer of 25 years, I'm currently 54, it was like watching my own body cam footage from the last few months! I am hooked on this show! P. Ball
201 out of 245 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yay Nathan ~~ glad you're back!
dwallaceeven17 October 2018
Wow! I loved it, keep up the good writing, the good plot lines & the relationships of the characters as they settle into their roles & we've got an entertaining hour of tv!
106 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This should be a winner
jjpscott0117 October 2018
Just finished the first episode. I wasn't sure at first but about midway through I realized how much I was already enjoying these characters. Nathan Fillion is great in everything he does and the rest of the cast seems real strong so far. Im excited to see where this goes.
111 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It not castle
emilykirtz17 October 2018
This has the potential to be a good show. The only problem is people need not compare this show to Castle.
95 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked it.
iix-3142217 October 2018
In this season off terrible TV shows like FBI, Mayan MC and Magnum P,I, This show is a breath of fresh air. The characters are in place in the first 15 minutes of the beginning. We know where we stand and how the show is going to run. The writers apparently DON'T think we are stupid like the ones in "Manifest". This is not a re-invention of TV but, god, did we need something that didn't suck in this worst TV season of all ages (I refer to "The Connors" ).
87 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thank you for doing such a good show.
SLRAMSDEN6 March 2019
I never miss this show. Character personalities are spot on. Some funny moments in the show, I never saw coming.
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Green Light episode
kathaabell20 March 2019
This episode was outstanding. The major characters all had emotional problems to deal with. The finale was true life, tear jerking, but so realistic. Wonderful writing, acting, story line. I intend to watch it again!
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better then expected
mwen001-217 October 2018
Good pilot! Well excecuted first episode. Feels sometimes like an episode of SOUTHLAND which is good thing. Good acting, good designed action and interesting characters.
65 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not what expected, so much better
medik4157 March 2019
This is a cop show, in the tradition of Southland, Dragnet and Third Watch, but with Nathan Fillion charm thrown in. One of my favorite new shows!!
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasn't sure about this, but it works
wroshon17 October 2018
My wife and I just finished watching the first episode and were impressed. Went from "let's see" beforehand, to "we're recording the series" after. The series hits the ground running. Rare for a cast to gel like this in a pilot. If the producers and writers can keep it up, we've got something to look forward to on Tuesday nights.
59 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Rookie wears Blue, but is a BrownCoat at heart.
zafar_hussain200017 October 2018
Great to see survivor of the Battle of Serenity valley, ditching his Brown Coat for a blue uniform.

Although he is not a swift Firefly like his comrade rookies, but he is still a BrownCoat at heart.

Great show with great potential
79 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!
jimhewitt17 October 2018
Enjoyed the opening episode of this new show! Especially liked the use of dashcam and bodycams. Interesting twist with a lot of experienced actors and some new faces. Setting to record on the dvr and ready to watch next week! Great job, Team Rookie!
57 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not much there, I'm afraid -- UPDATE: Getting way better
marco-grix14 November 2018
I love Nathan Fillion. Firefly is simply awesome, Castle was pretty enjoyable too. But The Rookie is a disappointment. Three episodes into the first season, I see no depth -- about anything. The police cases are universally shallow, not one of them had any intrigue or surprise. The larger narrative arc (middle-aged man joins police force) simply follows preconceptions and stereotypes. The personal relationships have not added to quality story-telling either. Much of it feels action-crammed and rushed. As of today (14 Nov 2018), the show has a rating of 8.0 -- which either vastly overvalues what I have seen or represents highly optimistic hopes for future potential. At this stage, the show is boring and meh. Someone as talented as Nathan deserves far better material, and so does the audience. Rating it 6/10 is pushing it.

UPDATE 12/2018: Took a while, but as of episode 7 the quality improved considerably. No more shallow rookie hazing, finally some character depth. People you can and want to relate to. But episode 8 really got it rolling. Interesting perspective on what the job does to you, nicely done. I hope the writers keep giving the cast that kind of material, they must love the opportunity to apply their skills and talent. If this quality is permanent, it's a winner. Upping my rating to 8/10.
39 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Potential!!
mneeki-592-6843517 October 2018
They packed a LOT into this first episode, but I enjoyed it thoroughly! This is 100% a Nathan Fillion show, so if you're not a fan of his bemused quality, you'll want to skip this.

I only hope they'll keep morality plays, politics, and "grand messages" on the back burner - - - give us quality stories, good characters, writing that respects the intelligence of the viewers, a bit of action with some humor thrown in for good measure, and you'll have a loyal following.....
43 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WOW, Pleasantly surprised!
t-meanmom-991-9216901 November 2018
WOW, I watched the pilot this morning and it was way impressive.

Honestly, I had no hope for this show. I figured after "Firefly" and "Castle" that Nathan Fillion was just on the Jump-the-Shark train from now on, especially after the controversial ending of "Castle" and issues with his co-star Stana Katic. Well--I was wrong! I was riveted, the Pilot was really good!

Sure, a little bit of Nathan Fillion spilled out, but that's what makes him who he is and it was tolerable. He didn't go into the Brooding Mal or the silly Castle--he was just right. He actually looks like he got into shape to play this role, kudos to him for working so hard. Let's face it, he's a good looking man, and here he looks like he did in "Firefly" with just a few more smile lines.

I stuck around to watch eps. 2 and 3. And I am totally on board. It's an eye opening procedural that really shows what rookies in the LAPD must go through. The fact that it's from the perspective of a 40 something year old rookie definitely gives an interesting twist!

There is drama, action, emotion, heart and humor. AND the police body cam shots are new and interesting, they really add to the experience. I give a huge double thumbs up, go and watch it! If you like police procedurals or Nathan Fillion you can't go wrong.

Oh, and if the writer's are reading, please have some guest stars from the "Firefly" and "Castle" days. that would be cool! ;)
20 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Glad to see Nathan Fillion back!!
mtp997517 October 2018
I loved the pilot. The characters were all introduced well, it did not take long to understand each characters role and place. Nathan plays his part great!
29 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Average at best
Mklangelo28 November 2018
I like Nathan Fillion. Everybody likes Nathan Fillion. He was the star of the legendary tv show, Firefly and the movie it spawned, Serenity. Great stuff.

But this show is lame and filled with cliches. None of these actors are believable cops. And I can see that the shills are out and handing out 10's like they're going out of style. lol

The police procedural all police procedurals need to be measured against is Southland. And this one is not even close.
27 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rookie
tarekhajar15 March 2019
Seriously one of the cutest and very enjoyable show to watch Nathan never disappoints. This show is enjoyable for most audience if you like cops and comedy some romance.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best New Show I've Seen in a Long Long Time
debramorey5217 October 2018
I have never watched Castle, only knew of Nathan Fillion by reputation and from seeing him on Modern Family. He is extremely engaging.

Putting all that aside, this was an outstanding first episode of what appears to have the possibility of being a great show. Enjoyed the fact that it was really about all the rookies, not just the "40-year old rookie." The stories of all the characters were interesting and the revelation about one of the TO's was particularly stunning.

Looking forward to a season of great stories with lots of character development and interesting plots.
24 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2 Episodes in and loving it !! Minor Spoilers Ahead !!
drew_kar24 October 2018
This show offers a realistic view of how rookie police officers deal with their daily routine. As a child raised in a family of law enforcement professionals, this show is the closest representation of how the characters deal with work, colleagues and relationships. The characters in the show seem real and have issues of their own.

Nathan Fillion as the lead is tremendous in his role of Rookie Officer Nolan. He brings his innate charm to the role of a downtrodden man that seeks to find meaning in his life by joining the police force. There is heart in his performances and that becomes the conduit through which the audience can empathize and sympathize with him and the more jaded police officers of the show. His signature brazen attitude is toned down compared to his role in Castle or his Captain Mal from Firefly. In the more somber moments of the show you can see that Officer Nolan has pain in his heart and has been through rough times, but he champions through it. That's where Fillion does his best work.

The rest of the cast also does a great job, but there are the unavoidable stereotypes. The three main actors orbiting Fillion are Richard T. Jones as Sergeant Grey, the sergeant that doesn't like Nolan because he's too old to be a cop, trying to crush his morale in hopes that he will either quit or be a better officer for it. His performance is solid and the chemistry between him and Fillion is palpable. The little side-eyes and moments of silence are awkward but fun to watch as you root for Nolan but also understand Sergeant Grey's viewpoint.

His trainer, officer Bishop played by Afton Williamson, is a tough officer that's overly ambitious and sees Nolan as an opportunity to get to the detective seat faster. She is his anchor in the show, pulling Nolan down to reality. There are glances in the show that are done very expertly and subtly by Williamson, where you as the audience realize that she actually begins to admire and respect Nolan. That humanizes her character and makes her likable.

Melissa O'Neil portrays rookie Lucy Chen, who is romantically involved with Nolan. She is initially presented as a badass rookie that has a take charge attitude. O'Neil is very believable as that character and her chemistry with Fillion is great. However, her chemistry with Eric Winter's character as her trainer, Officer Bradford, is what helps the character stand on her own and not just as the romantic interest. She is constantly challenged and belittled by Bradford who is jaded but sincere in his desire to make her the best officer she can be. I liken his character to that of John C. McGinley's Dr. Cox from Scrubs.

So far this shows sets itself apart from the current "cop dramas" on tv. Shows like Magnum PI, Lethal Weapon and NCIS tend to sensationalize how crime fighting is done. The Rookie doesn't shy away from law enforcement lingo and spouting regulations, but it is not done to glamorize how roguish or cool the lead characters are. In fact, Officer Nolan and his fellow rookies learn from each episode what it means to be a better officer.
17 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's Neither Dramedy Nor Drama, as a Result, It's Unbelievable,
Beckstle18 October 2018
While the actors all do their best with the material (hence the 3 stars), this is a badly written show. The Rookie is billed as a drama, but it lost me when John Nolan (Fillion) wasn't shot for standing up and running his mouth with clearly uptight and ready-to-shoot bank robbers. Yes, it was Nathan being Nathan, so it's cute - but the situation wasn't remotely believable. If it were set up for laughs that'd be one thing, but the scene is neither written nor played comically.

After that, the show continues to lurch from one unbelievable scene to another. The women are all badass and the men - except for Nathan's character, all have a level of ickiness. Especially the one T.O. who is racist, sexist, and mean, but then, oh gee, we should feel sorry for him because his wife's a drug addict. Yeah,no. Oh, and of course, all the hot women nearly half his age love John Nolan on sight.

The whole show is like a middle-aged white male fantasy - right up to the Kill Bill female cop that's Nolan's girlfriend. This is too bad, because the actual true story behind The Rookie is a compelling one. I know ABC wanted a new show for Nathan, but this isn't it. They should just reboot Firefly. After all, that's really what people want to see him in.
48 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute Brilliance From the Start
queenoflab21 March 2019
I've been watching since the Pilot, which had incredible pacing & more content than expected. I knew that every episode had to be like the Pilot if it had chance of being a good show, and I must admit it exceeds my expectations every episode. I'll even go as far as putting it in league with Game of Thrones, just because that was the last show that kept be excited throughout episodes until I started the Rookie. I've watched Nathan Fillion since his Firefly days, and I knew he'd be the automatic highlight of the show. Much like Firefly & Castle, Nathan is the heart soul and being of the show and carries it on his shoulders. And as the show keeps going, we see different sides to all the other characters and have been able to see the immense talent the other actors possess. This is a great group of actors that carry the mood. And the best part of this show is the writing. The pacing never slows down, there's nonstop action but also breaths of brilliance for emotional scenes, no issue or story arc lingers too long and resolutions are constantly met as new challenges for characters arise, and there's a great balance between drama, humor, and emotion. This is easily the best show on television right now and I hope they have at least a few seasons under their belt before the inevitable dry seasons that most shows endure once their greatest stories are told. I'm a fan. Can't wait for the future.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad & Boring
cjohmann16 November 2018
It starts with a premise of an older guy joining the LAPD, then beats it to death with ageist jokes that would get the jokesters reprimands from HR. There is no plot each week, just a series of car chases, foot chases, and the insufferable know it all lesson of the week from the lead character, the old rookie played by Fillion, who has left acting for all intents and purposes and taken up playing himself with a range of expressions so limited he reuses the same ones for different emotions. Most of the other characters also have no depth or complexity and are uniformly played as stereotypes. The whole thing is bad and boring.
36 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.