Dora and the Lost City of Gold (2019) Poster

Dora You Really Did It
ymyuseda14 August 2019
Rating 9.1/10 Surprisingly entertaining. This movie is just amazing and the acting from everyone was great. Dora have a good role model for everyone in this world. For me, this is one of the best movie based on cartoon tv show Dora The Explorer since 2000. I think no matter what you do, that there is always room for a good nickelodeon movie. It definitely worth to watch.
265 out of 313 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WAIT, THIS WAS ACTUALLY DECENT???
CriticalOfEverything12 August 2019
OK, joking aside, we all thought this was gonna flop spectacularly. Dora has had a very rocky reputation and a live-action version sounds like a terrible idea. But to my surprise this was a very charming and pretty funny movie. It is mainly aimed at kids and that meant a bit of cringe-worthy moments here and there, but the whole product is just a lot of fun, and I'm saying this as someone who despises Dora The Explorer. Give it a watch, you may end up liking it.
103 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Remember who this movie is for
mmcox8111 August 2019
As a toddler, my daughter adored Dora. My son loved Go Diego, Go. Now, as older elementary students, they had a blast at this movie, and I did too. I thought the talking Swiper was weird, but it was one of my son's favorite parts. This movie was about being positive and being yourself, and the movie boldly said, 'I'm not going to try to be something I'm not.' It was entertaining and fun, and my kids came out singing and dancing. Isn't that the point? With so many violent and intense movies these days, this proved a refreshing change.
137 out of 168 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A surprisingly enjoyable flick
linda-846-90701310 August 2020
I have never seen the TV show and to put it mildly, I'm not in the target demographic. I only watched it on a whim when Amazon recommended it to me. I'm so glad I gave it a whirl. It was hilarious! The acting was good, though deliberately over the top. The script gave some cute nods to other adventure flicks (I especially enjoyed the Indiana Jones reference at the climax). Well done and worth a watch.
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I can't believe I'm recommending Dora and the Lost City of Gold...but it was funny and a had a committed actress as Dora
RforFilm9 August 2019
"Can you find the map behind either of the three bushes?" is one of several things little Dora would ask her viewers on her show Dora the Explorer. I was in middle school when Dora the Explorer made it's debut on Nickelodeon. I was already too old for it, but it was a monster hit for the under seven demographic it was aiming for. From the few episodes I saw, it did it's job well buy keeping kids interacting with the show. But unlike Blues Clues that had very mundane and general mysteries, Dora the Explorer at least tried to add a little more education with zoology and a main character that was Latina. I merely saw it as harmless while Nickelodeon saw it as money.

In the age where reboots and remakes are all the rage, it makes sense Hollywood would want to tap into the nostalgia of Dora before it was too late. When a movie was announced, I kept wondering how that would be done as movies based off a little kid aimed material rarely sells. Just as the people who've made movies off of Sesame Street and Thomas the Tank Engine. But Dora and the Lost City of Gold tries something different; it tries to be funny.

Young teenager Dora (played by Isabela Moner) may be grown up, but still loves exploring the South American jungle with her monkey Boots (played by Danny Trejo), singing songs to herself and keeping an upbeat sprit about her life. After a fall, her parents Cole (played by Michael Peña) and Elena (played by Eva Longoria) decide that she needs to be around kids her own age and send her to Los Angeles to go live with her cousin Diego (played by Jeff Wahlberg).

When going to Diego's high school, she finds her jungle skills and knowledge out of place in a culture of cliques and teenage angst. Nevertheless, she continues to be herself while trying to get back her friendship she used to have with Diego. The both of them are on a fieldtrip when they and two other students get kidnapped by treasure hunters who hope Dora can lead them to her parents who are searching for a lost city of gold. Their sent back to South America, but get away thanks to a fellow explorer Alejandro (played by Eugenio Derbez). Even with an adult, it's up to Dora to lead her friends into the jungle the find her parents and perhaps a lost city of gold.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually liked Dora and the Lost City of Gold. Not only was it genuinely funny, but it kept my interest in a story that seems like a safer version of Goonies. Is it as good as the latter? No, in fact there are moments that are too dumb, but for the most part, this is a movie that knows what it is and wants to be: a silly adventure. There's nothing wrong with being silly.

This is a movie that's made for fans of Dora the Explorer, but it's also for those that made fun of it. It's aware of how annoying the cartoon was for the adults who had to listen to it when their toddlers watched it. A lot of it works thanks to Isabela Moner, who remains as committed as hell to not only making her work as a likable character, but one who can be a literal live-action cartoon.

While I had fun, I know that regular adult are not going to get into this at all if they don't have some nostalgia with the character. What does hurt it is while it tries to evolve Dora and her adventure, it still succumbs to cliché family movie parts like the annoying geek character and bathroom jokes. I understand it's a film that still has to appeal to children, but if movies like Inside Out and Up have shown anything, the story can still be great without having to go for lowbrow humor. A part of me also realizes that if I was around ten, I would have dug this movie and maybe even asked my parents to take me to it again.

I'll give this seven Doras out of ten. Again, even though I liked it and had fun with it's meta jokes, this is not meant for adults unless they have some nostalgia or even at least some interest. It weird to think that the CGI Lion King remake was bad while a live action Dora the Explorer was better then expected. I suppose it's earned the right to sing "We did it"
76 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than I expected
photopimps7 August 2019
I used to watch this with my son when he was a kid, he's now 15. I took him to watch the screener as a joke lol. It was actually better than i expected. Although there are a few cringe worthy scenes that only little kids would enjoy, we both thought the movie was quite funny & overall entertaining. Solid 8 stars from me.
108 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
HILARIOUS!! Definitely better than i expected!
feldash10 August 2019
My friend and I went to watch this movie as a joke (aka stupidothon) but I am SO glad we went to see it! There were some cringy part only younger kids would find funny but overall if was super funny and enjoyable! Very adventurous too with some surprises. I was laughing so hard at one point that I almost choked on my popcorn. I loved seeing a remake for this since this show was my childhood! These characters were SO great and their acting was very enjoyable.
47 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great way to end the summer...
downthehobbitholeblog9 August 2019
We were very impressed with how family friendly this movie was! The adults and kids were all laughing. The comedic timing was excellent! If you know anything about Dora and like a good laugh- this movie is absolutely for you! Still not sure if you or your kids will like it? Check out our full review with discussion questions at Down The Hobbit Hole Blog dot com. We have not laughed this hard at a movie in a long time! The acting and script were so great!
52 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Was really decent
nathanmanson8 August 2019
I enjoyed that to be honest a lot more then I thought I would. Isabela moner's acting was amazing she's going to be an amazing actor. The best way to describe this film is by saying it's like a PG tomb raider.
53 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie
quisha-011958 August 2020
Very entertaining, fun for the whole family. The actress who played Dora did an amazing job. For kids who love Dora they will definitely enjoy this movie
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adventures!!
ilovefoodcoma9 August 2019
Very adventurous movie for the kids!! Perfect family outing idea~ Love Dora the character, she is so cute! Good casting!
34 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Guilty Pleasure
jayg_587 November 2019
OK, so I'm too old to watch this, but it looked soooo cute. It was. Made for the kiddies. No swear words, no sex, no nudity, no extreme violence. Looked almost like all the females were wearing body armor to make sure there was nothing pointy. Many of the characters were caricatures, and that was alright, it's based on a cartoon. My few gripes were from an adult perspective. It could have had a little more overt humor. It had quite a bit, but it was toned down. And - ok, it's fantasy, but the ending in the temple stepped over the line on silly. Target audience: 13 to 16, and they achieved that by making Dora suddenly 18ish. Oh, and Boy! did she have a pound of pancake on. The persistent close-ups really highlighted that. Oh well, little stuff. Lightweight fluff. Thumbs up.
23 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun summer adventure film for kids that's also fun for adults.
bob-the-movie-man24 August 2019
The Plot is a wholly ridiculous story ripped from multiple Tarzan movies of the 40's and 50's. But go with it.

Six-year old Dora (Madelyn Miranda) and Diego (Malachi Barton) are having fun growing up in the jungle with their academic parents. (At least, you assume Diego's parents are there somewhere... this is all very vague!). Dora's parents - Cole (Michael Peña) and Elena (Eva Longoria) - are explorers on a lifelong mission to discover the lost Inca city of Parapata. Parapata is famed to be crammed with gold - "more than all the rest of the world's gold put together".

But Dad makes clear that they are not in it for the financial benefit: the motto is explorers = good; treasure hunters = bad.

But Dora's idyllic childhood is rocked when Diego has to return to civilization and she has to grow up alone with her parents.

Roll forwards 10 years and Dora has grown. Now as Isabela Moner, she discovers a vital clue to Parapata's location. But this signals a change for Dora, since she is not allowed on the expedition and must go to a far wilder place: to join Diego, now Jeff Wahlberg (nephew of Mark) in an LA high-school.

But Mum and Dad are not the only ones on the trail of Parapata's treasures, and together with new friends, the spiky "mean-girl" Sammy (Madeleine Madden) and the nerdy astronomy geek Randy (Nicholas Coombe), they must mount a rescue mission that takes them.... you'll NEVER guess where..!

The film is a blast for kids, and probably suitable for emotionally robust kids of all ages. Nobody actually dies, despite falling unfathomably long distances onto rocks! However, the film also pulls off that great and welcome trick by dropping in enough jokes for parents to be entertained. "Yumm... delicioso!" says young Dora. Then breaking the fourth wall "Can YOU say delicioso?". Fleabag-style this confuses the hell out of Mum and Dad. Cole says to Elena, "Don't worry... she'll grow out of it". And fortunately, she does before the joke becomes tiresome!

There's no warning about drug-taking, since the hallucinogenic scene with exploding flowers will go right over young kid's heads. But I found it very amusing!

There are also some fun "fish out of water" high school scenes. We've seen many of these before with the likes of Spider-Man, but here they are light-touch and fun.

When things get back into the jungle, they take on a much whackier angle. It's all very "Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull", but without the crushing disappointment! But again, kids will love the puzzle-solving and the "Mummy-ish" gothic humour. The only part of this that I think might disturb young kids is a quicksand scene, that parents might like to pre-warn youngsters that everything will work out fine!

Holding the whole film together like a little Duracell Bunny of vitality is 18-year old Isabela Moner, who is a genuine talent, honed in the Nickelodeon studios. She was impressive in the above average "Instant Family", and I predict she will go onto great things over the next 10 years.

Elsewhere, a "Pointless" answer from the cast is Benicio del Toro as the voice of "Swiper", a bizarrely talking and poorly-disguised fox! This probably makes more sense to those who know the original kid's cartoon!

Even more annoying is Dora's (strangely multi-coloured) monkey Boots... the Jar Jar Binks of the film, who might amuse very young children but probably not many other folks.

Final Thoughts: Here's a film that is not trying to be anything other than a fun and much needed summer outing for families. Disney used to do this sort of live-action family film thing so well in the 70's and 80's, before they got obsessed with pointless recreations of their cartoon classics.

The director is James Bobin, who's formerly directed a number of the Muppet movies, and this movie breathes with the same sense of anarchic fun without being too up itself.

The film occasionally makes you cringe, with some dreadfully (and deliberately) naff songs, but I enjoyed it and for the right audience (kids 8 to 12) I think they'll have a blast.

(For the full graphical review, please check out One Mann's Movies on this new-fangled internet thing, or else on Facebook... whatever the earth that is. Thanks).
28 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beware! Movie for families who watched Dora in the past
Bergtop8 August 2019
I watched the movie with my kids aged 10 and 11. I liked it, they liked it. But it was not that long ago that I watched cartoon Dora with them. So we laughed at the inside jokes and The cartoonesk way Dora is portrayed. We also felt nostalgic about the innocent time when my kids still watched cartoon Dora. I do think that the targetgroup for this movie is very narrow. It is best suited for families who watched the cartoon Dora in the past and now have kids who are a bit more grown up. Everybody else should skip this movie.
61 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lighthearted and lol funny
katydeltakappa9 August 2019
My 16 year old was a huge Dora fan when she was little so I've seen a lot of episodes. This poked fun at the cartoon while still creating a unique feel. My youngest didn't get the inside jokes but still loved the adventure and quirky characters. We all left the movie with a huge smile. I highly recommend this for families that have a sense of humor and don't take life so seriously.
31 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some movies have a maximum age.
alci35011 August 2019
I like watching animation and movies meant for younger audience sometimes. Most of the timed they are for all audiences. But when you get scenes like, repeat the word after me and songs about digging poo holes.. it's hard to watch as an adult..
59 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Severe neurotoxicity" 😂
larry_golad22 November 2019
A nice enjoyable movie for kids, but also with bits for adults. Nice visuals, nice story. The scene containing the title of my review really made me laugh!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Creative fun
kitmorgan92 September 2019
(Spoiler) Took my 4 year old to see this having been a general fan of the cartoon. Passed the 6 laugh test, it cleverly broke the fourth wall and kept in theme of the cartoon version whilst offering something fresh as a live action film. Left the cinema both feeling treated; made for an enjoyable fun memory to share and discuss afterwards.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is How Kids' Movies Should be Made
emdiski16 August 2019
With four kids ranging from 7-22, I have seen a LOT of kids' movies. And after a while they start to feel the same, tired jokes, intentional and contrived "over their heads" references that parents are supposed to really appreciate, and all too often some sort of ham-handed and out of place modern morality message that invariably falls flat and comes across as entirely gratuitous and painfully forced.

Dora is exceptional in that it almost entirely avoids all those tired formulaic approaches, replacing them instead with a very fun, upbeat, and engaging story that doesn't try to be anything more than that. And it succeeds wildly. This film is clearly not a great work of art nor powerful social message platform...it's just wonderful, unadulterated entertainment for children.

The casting was really terrific as well, and Isabella Moner as Dora could not possibly have been better. What a delightful talent she is, and the indefatigable positivity of the character actually feels genuine...this kid all but glows through the whole movie. All in all a real surprise, and probably my favorite kids' movie in several years. Nice job Nickelodeon et al, Iet's hope Disney takes notes on how NOT to turn a potentially fun children's movie into a self-indulgent mess!
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The live-action Dora film is entertaining for young viewers who know the character.
movieman6-413-9295107 August 2019
Dora and the Lost City of Gold is a live-action film based on the Nickelodeon animation series Dora the Explorer. This live-action film is directed by James Bobin, the director of Muppets Most Wanted and Alice Through the Looking Glass.

Dora (Isabela Moner) has spent most of her life exploring the jungle with her parents. Now that Dora is going to high school for the first time, she has to get used to this different way of life. When her parents are suddenly missing, Dora has to go on an adventure with famous friends and some of her new classmates to discover what happened to her parents. For this they have to solve the mystery behind the lost city of gold.

This is an entertaining film for children who are familiar with the animation version of Dora the Explorer and for parents who have seen this animation together with their children. The film is more fun for children, because the story can come across as somewhat predictable or obvious thanks to the simple elaboration for adult viewers. The film looks a bit like a children's version of an Indiana Jones or Tom Raider film. Animation fans can also see or hear certain hints and references in this film that refer to the animation series. For people who are not so or not at all familiar with the Dora animation series, it may take some getting used to understanding how the fictional world of film works.

The effects of the film are also more at the child level, because adult viewers can see earlier where CGI or a green screen is used in the film. Some CGI characters such as Boots Dora her friendly monkey or Zwieber the stealing fox don't seem credible to adult viewers. For children who are fans of the animation and who are familiar with these characters, it is nice to see them again in the film.

Isabela Moner appears good and credible in this film as Dora. She looks a lot like a live-action version of Dora because of the clothes and her appearance. With her acting work she carries the film for the young viewers. She also knows how to fill the film with her actions and reaction in the film. For older viewers, Michael Peña manages to provide some comical moments, but because his character goes missing, he soon disappears from the film. For example, as an older viewer you have to watch a film that is mainly filled with humor and a story for younger viewers.
33 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good and entertaining...
paul_haakonsen5 November 2019
Well, I had a vague idea about whom Dora the Explorer was from a few glances on the TV when my son have been flipping through the children shows. So I sat down to watch this 2019 live action rendering of Dora the Explorer with my 9 year old son.

Turns out that the movie was actually better than I had expected to be. I had expected this to be a children's movie, but it is actually a family movie, because there is something even for parents and adults to enjoy in the movie. So whatever beforehand assumptions I had about what I was in for was definitely put to rest at the hands of director James Bobin.

Think about this as being sort of a light-hearted Indiana Jones adventure for the children and the family, and just take out the Nazis from the equation. Actually, the storyline in "Dora and the Lost City of Gold" was actually rather enjoyable, and the story was captivating and the good pacing of the story made it a very entertaining movie to sit through.

They had a good ensemble of actors and actresses to portray the various roles, and Isabela Moner, playing Dora, really carried the movie quite well. It was sort of fun to realize that it was Benicio Del Toro whom voiced Swiper and Danny Trejo that voiced Boots. And they also had the likes of Michael Peña and Temuera Morrison in the movie as well.

I was more than genuinely entertained and surprised with this movie, and it was definitely well worth sitting down with my son to watch. My rating of the 2019 "Dora and the Lost City of Gold" movie is a six out of ten stars.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ok movie based on a cartoon
smsnieto9 August 2019
Was good even thought people hate it over all fun for the whole family✌
19 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I cant believe I saw this and enjoyed it
UniqueParticle6 September 2019
I was the only one in the theater which helped a lot, I'd be embarrassed to see this around others especially being 27 years old. There's quite a lot of dumb moments and heartwarming scenes too; luckily this only cost me 53 cents because of my Regal Unlimited subscription. Also an odd thing I've noticed is the actress who played Dora has really gone through puberty and yet she doesn't seem mature that's really the only problem I had. Is it so wrong to be innocent? I don't know anymore.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
FUN Indiana Jones for big KIDS
persian-belle9 August 2019
We went today with our 7-year old daughter who used to watch Dora as a toddler/preschooler.

Adventure-filled film suitable for children who are old enough to understand the mysterious and complex plot and not be scared of sudden happenings and mild violence (I would say 7+ is safer for a typical child).

Do not expect grown-up entertainment thrown in like in Disney films. This is a kids film. School age kids in grades 2-6 will enjoy it.

9/10 for kissing (once, quick, between high-schoolers) and references to "mating", which I believe isn't appropriate for ages 7-11.

Overall, a fun adventure accompanied by constant humour.

Go see it if you have big kids.
20 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not the target audience
Skippy48919 November 2019
I am not the target audience for the film and I grew up with the original show. From what I remember, this is a decent adaptation of the show. Watching it as an adult, it is a very cheesey film. Some scenes are self aware and is almost a parody of the original show. It is a fun film, but it is very light and cheesey. It is worth a watch for fans of the show, just remember that it is intended for kids.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.