Like a Boss (2020) Poster

(2020)

These talents deserve better
Lost_In_Translation_11 January 2020
This clearly isn't a movie targeted towards me. Being a 30 year old man, I am for sure not the audience that this is meant for. That didn't stop me from enjoying stuff like Girls Trip, Bridesmaids, and Spy. All of those too are targeted towards a female audience, but I enjoyed them in their own right as they were funny and well made comedies.

This is just looking to capitalize on those kinds of movie and make a quick buck in January. It's extremely unfunny and really predictable. My girlfriend, who was the reason I saw this, usually enjoys movies in this similar wheelhouse, but even she ended up not liking it all that much either. All of the leads deserve better and have done better.

The only jokes that got a laugh out of me was one about Calliou and one involving Billy Porter's dramatic exit from a dinner. Everything else is just really forced moments and not funny. Salma Hayek is playing a cartoon villain that just doesn't fit in a movie like this either. She is only a few steps away from a cackling villain on a Saturday morning cartoon.

The plot in a comedy doesn't have to be much if the jokes carry it, but this plot was just really plain and boring. The two leads sell their company to Hayek. Eventually the two of them fight and split for a few scenes, then come to the realization they still need each other. Just super run-of-the-mill and tedious.

Not worth anyone's time and you're much better off re-watching the lead's better works in recent years like Girls Trip, Bridesmaids, Spy, or Neighbors.
21 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pick another for girls night out
lsagitt14 January 2020
One of the most unfunny movies I've seen in a long time. Poorly written, predictable script. I couldn't wait for it to be over. Definitely not a "Girls Trip" girls night out movie.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wait for it to come to TV...
eacmacro-0130514 January 2020
This movie wasn't worth seeing on the big screen. Maybe on certain TV networks.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What happened?
2001ASOfan11 January 2020
Great cast, a director I've enjoyed in the past: what happened here? Flat and uninspired filmmaking, and a lazy comedy.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If I have to think about it, it's not really funny.
subxerogravity10 January 2020
It has it funny moments and it's a great message, but it's not that impressive. Tiffany Haddish and Rose Byrne don't have the chemistry needed to pull of this movie off about two best friends since childhood stating a business. Byrne always seemed out of place in this Haddish vehicle and oddly enough Haddish seemed out of place in her own vechicle. It feels like she's holding back what makes everyone want to see her. It's like Haddish at one instead of eleven. Jennifer Cooledge suffers from the same thing. I did not get the full on Coolledge I was going for when I saw her that she was In The flick. Selma Hayek works as the villain but it's only a workable performance she did not make me laugh. Give it up to Billy Porter who tried to steel the scene when he was in it and in some cases he did. I'll say Like A Boss was worth the effort but I'll also say try to catch it when it's on a streaming service.
19 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
like a boss
marmar-6978011 January 2020
Isnt like a boss supposed to be a comedy,obviously not since i didnt laugh one time during film,this film tries to deliver message how looks arent everything and similiar themes but thanks to bad humour and lame jokes everything fails miserably,tiffany is again just again playing loud woman who never shuts up and just wastes space with her unfunny moments,its is actually ironic that only fun moments are shown by male actors considering the this films is targated for girls and so they can relate to it,like a boss is just another failed attempt to make comedy but in all of that fields it fails and shows why films like this belong in january
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not hideous, but no thing of beauty
ferguson-69 January 2020
Greetings again from the darkness. It's no secret that all movies aren't made to appeal to all movie goers. Even for someone like me who watches an average of 5 movies per week, there are going to be some that are simply not in my wheelhouse. In the case of this latest from director Miguel Arteta (BEATRIZ AT DINNER, 2017), it seems to have been formulated as a "Girls Night Out" treat ... a sub-genre with a track record of success.

Although I'm not the target market, I'm not precluded from commenting on the film and making observations. It merely means I've watched the movie from a different perspective than many paying customers will. So let's start with the positives. The cast is excellent. After being wasted and miscast is last year's disappointing THE KITCHEN, Tiffany Haddish is cut loose and allowed to do what she does best - searing one-liners peppered with raunchiness. Rose Byrne has long been what was once called a comedy "straight man." Of course that term is no longer used, but I'm not sure what today's acceptable terminology is. The simple fact is, very few people are as brilliant as Ms, Byrne at playing off an acid-tongued comic. She is a rare talent. As for Salma Hayek, her body of work (and Oscar nomination for FRIDA) speaks for itself.

Mia (Ms. Haddish) and Mel (Ms. Byrne) have been friends since childhood, and are now roommates, best friends, and business partners at the beauty/cosmetic company they founded. The creative and shoot-from-the-hip Mia and the pragmatic and meticulous Mel are personality opposites to the point that Mel has been reticent to explain their serious financial woes to the always upbeat Mia. When cosmetics tycoon Claire Luna (Ms. Hayek) makes an offer to save the struggling company, Mel welcomes the financial relief, while Mia senses trouble.

As you would guess, Mia is right ... Claire Luna has darker motives, and soon she is driving a wedge between the two partners and friends. The talented supporting cast includes: Jennifer Coolidge, Billy Porter (who manages to remain flamboyant while being subdued for him), Ari Graynor ("I'm Dying Up Here"), Jessica St. Clair, and Karan Soni (DEADPOOL) as Claire's assistant. There is also a cameo near the end for those who enjoy a bit of friendly comedy.

Danielle Sanchez Witzel, Adam Cole-Kelly, and Sam Pitman combined on the story and script, and have inserted a few gags that play to the strength of the cast - pot smoking ghost peppers, and boyfriend humor are all at play, and balanced by the strength of female friendships. The business side is so cartoonish (especially Ms. Hayek's character) that it will likely somewhat offend anyone who actually runs a company, but the raunchy humor and overly emotional character reactions will likely satisfy the intended audience.
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Raunchy piece of garbage
trinaboice15 January 2020
If you watched the trailer and thought it made the movie look trashy, you're wrong. It's way worse than the trailer. This movie is garbage and offensive in so many ways. In movie terms, the humor in this movie is BLUE. That means very inappropriate. It's raunchy and vulgar from the very first sentence in the movie. Why do women have to be portrayed that way to prove they can be powerful in business? Written and directed by men, this cringe-worthy gal-pal comedy showcases female empowerment gone wrong. Women deserve so much better.

January movies are notoriously horrible and Like a Boss is perfect for a January release. You can read the rest of my Movie Review Mom (dot) com.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I walked out this movie was 💩
ladude-imdb13 January 2020
I watched maybe 15 to 20 minutes which was 15 or 20 minutes too long. It's a trashy low class movie and the humor is not funny. Don't bring your kids to this. I can't believe they had movie advertising all over the city.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's predictable but isn't as bad as everyone's making it out to be
tequila343412 January 2020
So I'm not a huge comedy fan but I enjoyed this. Yes there were some lame jokes but overall the theater was laughing the entire movie. It was enjoyable and I never felt bored. Predictable? Sure. But the movie wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be.
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fairly enjoyable and funnier than expected
UniqueParticle11 January 2020
An outrageously silly experience with great moments and some try hard humor that I still appreciated. I think the film deserves better than a 3.9 that's tragic, it's watchable and not that bad! Rose Byrne and everyone is awesome! It was also nice to see a lot of pretty girls in the audience they definitely had fun!
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Standard By The Numbers Plot
stevendbeard13 January 2020
I saw "Like a Boss", starring Tiffany Haddish-Night School, Keanu; Rose Byrne-Peter Rabbit_2018, Star Wars:Episode 2_Attack of the Clones; Jennifer Coolidge-2 Broke Girls_tv, the American Pie movies and Salma Hayek-The Hitman's Bodyguard, Desperado. This is a pretty standard by the numbers plot. A big corporation wants to buy a small one and put them out of business. Tiffany & Rose are childhood friends that create their own beauty company but are currently loosing money. Salma owns the big company that offers to buy them out of debt. She tricks them-of course-in order to take all of their assets and they have to fight back to try and save their business. Jennifer is one of Tiffany & Rose's employees that tries to be funny on occasion. There is friction between Tiffany & Rose-caused by Salma-but you know that they will work out their problems before the end credits. It's rated "R" for language, drug use and sexual content-no nudity-and has a running time of 1 hour & 23 minutes. It's not one that I would buy on DVD. I wouldn't rent it either. If you really want to see it, I would wait until it comes to cable.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
See if you are a fan of Rose, Tiffany, and/or Selma
ShelbyTMItchell18 January 2020
Tiffany Haddish is the one that tries so hard to bring the comedy as one that wants to be rich and live in a life of luxury that is not a team player. Her best friend since HS Rose Byrne doing a great American accent is meek and at times not sure of herself. As they run a make up business that is in debt but still people go to them for make up including their snobby but funny friends. Selma Hayek is the villianess as a mogul who wants to help them out of their misery but in the process, has hidden agendas of her own. Jennifer Cooledge steals the movie and wished she gotten better parts but really she steals the fun with that of Billy Porter who makes the makeup but he is relieved of his job due to Selma's insistence. Realizing it is a wrong mistake there. It is about being true to yourself no matter where life takes you. Only fans of the women will like this.
Better than I expected
landonkentmartin10 January 2020
Seeing the low critic reviews, I was anxious about seeing this film. But I decided to anyways because of the hilarious cast. I was not disappointed with this film, it was hilarious. Sure it was cheesy at times and there's definitely better comedies out there but it was still very enjoyable!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good way to spend a few hours with your friends.
therealpoplife10 January 2020
Tiffany Haddish stars in this 'girlfriends' movie alongside Rose Byrne. Tiffany & Rose play Mia & Mel in this funny comedy about friendship. Mia & Mel have been friends for 20 years and now own their own business together. They work together and they also live together in the home that Mia's mom left them after she passed.

The situation: Mia & Mel's beauty shop has a very popular product that Mia thinks is floating their business but to only find out later down the line that Mel has been hiding just how far behind in their business they really are. Then, in comes a very, very successful beauty mogul named Claire Luna, played by Salma Hayek, who would like to purchase their business and get the two besties out of debt. What would you do if a rich businesswoman you admire offers to buy your company and erase your debt? Sounds like a plan, right?

Mel thinks so when Claire offers her and Mel an offer to buy 49% of their company. Mia is suspicious from the beginning but they go for it anyway, in the name of friendship. The girls don't know that Claire has an ulterior motive to take their entire company and the rest of the movie plays out the shenanigans that happen when friends are not totally honest with one another!

The overall energy of the movie is light and funny. There are a few honorable mentions in regards to supporting characters. Billy Porter, who plays an employee of Mia & Mel, has one of the most memorable scenes in the whole movie. And, actress Natasha Rothwell (from HBO's 'Insecure'), brought her acting A-game to every scene she was in. Don't go see this movie thinking you are about to have an intellectual experience that will have you thinking about the undertones of the movie for weeks after! But, you will enjoy this movie if you get with a group of your besties and decide to have a girl's night out at the movies. Grab a cocktail ahead of time and have some fun!
A formula movie
cekadah12 January 2020
This flick is cute and pretty to watch. There are chuckles and smiles for the viewer.

But the plot line is very predictable with all the 'good and bad' characters we've seen before. Rich corporate boss takes advantage of little start up business to get their product. The little guys get revenge. The end.

But it was fun to watch.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Play it Like a BOSS!
bhernandez221612 January 2020
Like a Boss is a laugh out loud knock out comedy I've ever seen. Tiffany Haddish and Rose Byrne is hilariously killing it it all the funny jokes. And Salma Hayek is being a funny boss. This is the funniest movie of the first year of 2020.
7 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best!!
jnjplus114 January 2020
Don't listen to everyone's opinions bc they're what? Opinions!! We are all gonna feel and think differently. With that said this movie took the air out of my lungs I laughed so hard!! I love love loved this movie and will own it as soon as possible to rewatch until I know the words by heart. No joke was hands down the funniest movie I've seen in a long time. The entire theater was hysterically laughing. Tiff is just a comedic genius in her own realm. If u want just flat out humor and a very good laugh just let go and enjoy yourself bc this movie is a ride.
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprising, and entertaining enough for fellas.
treeeagles9 January 2020
This movie isn't perfect but it's pretty damn close. Can't really think of any cons after seeing it twice. The leading ladies were funny throughout, EVERY supporting character complemented not just the main actresses but also the story and there's plenty of scene stealing. Absolutely loved Rose Byrne in a comedic lead role and her and Tiffany Haddish had great chemistry. The jokes are gender friendly and it's more of a general comedy than a funny chick flick. Definitely one for the collection.
2 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was laughing the whole time
drumerboy6229 January 2020
Go see it. It's funny. Storyline is cheesy but the acting is good. Best comedy so far this year. (9 days into the year)!
2 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, a little rushed though
pioneer6414 January 2020
The resolution of the film is a little too easy/fast, but it's really sweet and funny overall.
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
People clearly didn't get the point of the movie.
fletcheraholic15 January 2020
This movie isn't suposed to be hysterical, it's a movie about how important friendship is and staying true to yourself but clearly most people didn't get that.
1 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love Rose Byrne but why Rose Byrne for This?
nickijjohnson-1695516 January 2020
I don't exactly know what people were expecting from this movie. Has it been done before? Yes. Done better? Yes. To name a couple I'll say Bridesmaids and Romy and Michelle's H.S reunion (irony is Kudrow makes an appearance in this). That doesn't make it a bad movie. It's a female buddy comedy nothing more nothing less. My problem was casting Rose Byrne. I thought maybe it'd be the perfect comic duo you wouldn't think would work but would turn out to be great. Unfortunately it wasn't and it's strange to me. Rose does pretty good in the realm of comedy. Neighbors 1&2. Bridesmaids. Spy. But for some reason she fell flat in this. It felt as if Tiffany Haddish carried this film. Not too sure of a Rose replacement. Maybe Anna Faris? Isla Fisher? Needed more energy to match Tiffany. Billy Porter should've had a bigger part and almost anyone could've played Selma's character. I wouldn't have minded some flashbacks Romy and Michelle style to further develop their characters but not too bad. Still a good girls night out flick to me.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious and underrated!
sara261815 January 2020
Tiffany Haddish def stood out during the movie. Her character Mia had hysterical lines through out the whole film and kept the audience cracking up. Not to mention Rose Byrne and Tiffany's chemistry and friendship truly showed. Was def a story of friendship and growing up and not letting anything come in between your friendship or settling for less. Had good morales and was super funny. Most of the people that wrote bad reviews don't have any sense of humor or know the value of a good friendship story when they see one! I've seen it several times now and plan on again!
0 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.