Killbird (2019) Poster

(2019)

Better than the sum of its parts.
lewiskendell19 August 2020
I enjoyed this! I'm saying that with genuine surprise because I don't think Killbird is for everyone. It's very slow burn, the story is too convoluted for its own good and yet still for most of the movie not a lot happens beyond two people talking, and the dialogue is barely passable. But somehow, this micro-budget spy thriller set in the backwoods kept my full attention from the very start.

Killbird begins with a seemingly chance encounter between a photographer having car trouble and a suspicious and possibly paranoid hermit living off the grid far from civilization. We're left guessing if these people are really who they say they are, and as more characters are introduced things only get less clear. It's hard to puzzle out who, if anyone, the viewer should be rooting for and who is actually telling the truth.

I'll be honest, the story somewhat gets drowned in endless conspiracy babble and repeated "who are you" conversations. But, for some reason this movie connected with me and I was hooked. I hesitate to recommend Killbird because it definitely, DEFINITELY has flaws and the smaller budget (and underwhelming script) really requires some imagination from the audience to make things believable, but I think I'm that one person out of five that this movie works for. And no, it's not because I love Battlestar Galactica so much that I did geek out over seeing a few cast members for the first time in years. At the very least, the setting is novel for this genre, Elysia Rotaru is a very capable lead, and I admire that this movie does a lot with limited resources.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
actually pretty intense
MikeyT1124 May 2020
Small in scale but kept me hooked. good performances by the leads. low budget indie that's worth a watch.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a bad attempt
redlightlessness20 May 2020
I like single location movies given the script is fine. I didn't pay a single cent to watch this movie but kept watching it all the way to the end without any regret. This is the method of my payment. Despite being B Class this is a good movie. I really liked the performance of the "former prom queen" caliber actress and also the lead guy. Watchable.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forget the 4.4 rating. This is a suspenseful movie
justprofootball2 September 2020
This is a great movie with good acting that grabs you from the beginning. This movie was so good, I decided to write my first review on it.

If you're looking for James Bond special effects, or the mindless "Avengers" style CGI action, this movie isn't for you. This movie has terrific dialogue. Killbird sucks you in and keeps you wondering.

I thought the acting was terrific. Using today's conspiracy theories in the dialogue surprised me and made the movie much more enjoyable.

By the way, thank you for not having pointless nudity In this gem. The female actress, Elysian Rotaru, has a terrific body and this movie didn't need pointless nudity to keep the audience's attention. I never saw her in a movie before this, but she is good. So is Stephen Lobo.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not that bad, decent job for a B-movie.
deloudelouvain7 October 2020
Let's face it, there are better spy movie than Killbird, even much better ones, but it's still entertaining enough to never get bored. To me it deserves a better rating, it's certainly worth a one time viewing. The plot is mysterious and keeps your attention, it keeps you guessing what's going on, and that's the most positive point of the movie. I agree that it looks and sounds a little bit like a B-movie but with the budget they had they did a decent job. As for the acting let's just say there are no future Oscar winners here but it was not cringing to watch either. I will probably forget everything about this movie in a week but I don't regret watching it.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suspenseful! I really enjoyed!
kellyalexroberts24 May 2020
Storyline kept you hooked the whole way. Acting was also great... hope there's a sequel!
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Captivating
pavaar22 May 2020
Single location films aren't for everyone, nor the touchy subject matter, but I was at the edge of my seat the whole ride. The acting was fantastic.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
B movie cinema here. Not bad for it's weight class.
tkaine320 May 2020
The cinematography is good for a B movie this film has a Lifetime vibe too it. Unknown actors do a good enough job the lead looks like a former prom queen. The stories not very original and kinda predictable but there's enough funny moments to keep it unique and interesting. With a skeleton crew of actors throughout the entirety it gets pretty lame but I would recommend this for my mom to watch but that's about it the ending was 👌 OK so I guess it wasn't a total bust if you need to waste an hour & 30 mins.
9 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great thriller!
accounting-8159722 October 2020
Not much else to say other than if you're in the mood for a backwoods action/thriller. Look no more!
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Elevated Spy movie
rbury-6150022 October 2020
Backwoods thriller ridden with conspiracy theory. Honestly, it's what most of the US is right now and showcases the paranoia well. Watch!
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dull spy movie.
saptesh78630 May 2020
Very slow and boring spy movie with confused end. Not much thrill, tension and intelligence here which are basic factors of any spy movie. Actors are average, while leading actress only makes you notice by her well shaped hipps than her acting. Avoid this flick.
5 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of time
prinehead-1233521 May 2020
Lead character was lovely to look at That's it .Terrible film
6 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad Bird
jephraim520 May 2020
This movie stinks. Stinks Bad. 1 star. Avoid it. Unless you like movies that stink.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's okay
kareemfouad8 October 2020
It wasn't like I expect, just a chat turned into a fight this is from my humble opinion.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ridiculous and boring
joshua-8477929 November 2020
Horrible acting by the male lead, however the female lead is far better. Boring story. Beyond stupid plot. Had the script been better, the movie would have been a lot better
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.