The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind (2019) Poster

Loved every moment of this film
SarahJaneHeath2 March 2019
What a great movie - powerful acting, cinematography and story line. Heartwarming, powerful and emotional - it brought tears of sadness and joy! Thoroughly recommend.

This is the kind of film awards were made for. I hope it wins many.
149 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is as real as it gets
jackreacher-575422 March 2019
This was an incredible movie. It does not hide the brutal realities of life as an African farmer. As someone who was born and raised in the continent, I can tell you that everything is legit. They even went the extra mile and incorporated the local language into the majority of the dialogue instead of having it be all in English. This is a powerful and inspirational film. I highly recommend it.
132 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Powerful, real and moving....
iampeaceful3 March 2019
Incredible heart wrenching powerful family movie. This to me was gut wrenching and sad but in the end beautifully written about a boy whom saved his family. I cried lots but I also felt relief. This story humbled me and made me realize that I too need to be grateful daily for those around our world have less but make the best out of each day. Incredibly written and told. I am so glad Netflix had this incredible, well written story.

All should view this and take a step back to see we can do more for others.
100 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In the top 5 movies list that i have watched in the last 54 years.
david-161-283903 March 2019
I have just copied what another reviewer stated verbatum because it was perfectly phrased and exactly my thoughts: "This film is absolutely great, and I recommend everyone to just watch it right now on Netflix. This needs to be seen and supported. It is full of interesting and powerful themes that are rarely portrayed like this in cinema, and teaches a lot of important lessons without ever being preachy about it. It's one of these based on a true story movies that are actually really good and achieve what they are going for, and also match the importance and beauty of the real tale.

All of the acting, the cinematography, the score, and the directing are working so well together, which makes for an excellent watching experience, and one that will actually stick with you for a bit.

Please give The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind a chance."
111 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An outstanding Oscar-worthy film about an incredible true-story.
Top_Dawg_Critic18 March 2019
Wow, what a refreshing change from all the Hollywood blockbusters! A true-story about the real-life William Kamkwamba's determination to save his village from starvation.

This film was perfect in every aspect. Chiwetel Ejiofor hit this one out of the ball-park with his directing (debut), writing (debut), and acting.

The entire setting/visuals were incredible and the cinematography could not have been any better. The sound/score perfect. The young Maxwell Simba as William was stellar in his first ever acting role. The entire cast was excellent.

I'm not a fan of slow paced or long movies, by the 113 mins just flew by as I was in such awe with the story, visuals and acting.

I sure hope this film is nominated for the 2020 Oscars in many categories. This is one of those must-see rare gems that will open people eyes on how great we all have it in the modern world - unable to decide which iPhone to buy, while others are struggling to eat.

See this film, it will move you... it's outstanding! A perfect well deserved 10/10 from me.

Again, WOW.
54 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie will make you think about it!
mjdevries3 March 2019
Absolutely a great movie!

However, be aware. This title is not suitable for 'watching an ordinary movie on an ordinary night'. Because it will let you thinking about it.

First, it will make you realize how fortunate you probably are - just as I am. I'm born in the same year as this kid (being the late 80's), but here in Western-Europe, I didn't had to fight in order to get to school or to beat other people in order to get my food. But what did I do to deserve this?

Secondly, it will probably let you think about the boy's invention which is so strong in it's simplicity and yet so life-saving. It will almost make you want to buy at least 1000 dynamo's and sent them to Malawi.

And thirdly, it will make you realize how the characters were just acting like human beings - even his dad. It's so easy to say, at least here in Western-Europe, that those people in Africa shouldn't come here to our continent because who knows what they will do - and so we build walls and let them drown at sea. But this just makes us very similar as the person who wants to become president in this movie. Maybe not even different at all.

Because in the years when the events of this movie were taken place (being 2001/2002), people in Western-Europe were more interested in watching MTV, Friends and the latest news on Afghanistan, while no one heard of Malawi and what happened over there. Now, 17/18 years later, Chiwetel Ejiofo confronts us with it.

Movies like these are exactly what this earth needs.
62 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perspective
khagen-898502 March 2019
Incredible film really; helps one see how truly blessed and how we have an abundance of everything we could ever want and/or need. Further illustrates how supporting each other and thinking of the greater good will propel us further as a people. And really redefined what the definition of hardship is. Life is hard in general but some individuals are dealing with issues that most don't have to think about.
51 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great movie based on the book wrote by The real life man
mks0992 March 2019
Ignore the review that says the story is not true. The book is an autobiography and the movie has Michael speaking at the end. There is pretty much massive amounts of documentation verifying his education. He went to school, several in fact, including Dartmouth and worked for varied non profits.

I am sure the movie might be a tad Hollywoodized as the "based on" ones all usually are but does not detract from this great Netflix film or facts.
60 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A beautiful film that has the power to match its own story.
CitizenDevi1 March 2019

Please give The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind a chance.
43 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really good
Gordon-112 March 2019
This film tells the story of a young boy who saves his village from starvation.

The film is well made. The story is gripping and heartbreaking. The scene where people chase a food truck reminds me how incredibly fortunate I am. Acting is very strong, and the production is very good too. I enjoyed watching this, though the story is hard to watch.
30 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Impressed malawian
anyob5 March 2019
Great film. Shout out to William Kamkwamba and am glad the world gets to know about him and his greatness!! I'm particularly moved emotionally with how well the film depicts the sufferings of the early 2000's in Malawi. I'd also say bravo for the effort made by british and american actors to learn chichewa, though the pronunciations are generally below par, as expected from such actors. Nevertheless the effort to make the film truly malawian by filming in malawi, speaking chichewa, amazing cinematography, etc, shows a bravery and respect for the story.
27 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Movie
onesunsetfound3 March 2019
These type of movies should be shown in schools. They are an inspiration for all. I love how he put his love for science, family and creativity into action. 10/10.
29 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real world, real problems
rapsland-526764 June 2020
A very good movie. Every young people, especially teenagers should watch the movie. This is real world, poverty, global warming, hunger, suffering humans. Great job!!
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
perfect true story.. lyrical, heartwarming, touching...
mapika30 June 2020
Quarantine made me watch this...guess, the one thing, I have to thank it for!

Africa, a poor village of hard working and caring families of farmers, a drought, a 13 year old boy, who's family can't afford to send him to school anymore, and him reading a book at a library about using energy and windmills... then he tried and he did it ... he saved the whole village!

How could this one not have been appreciated more for it's incredibly positive message, it's realness, it's undeniable truth about what really matters in life?! Beside that everything is just great and outstanding: the actors, the story, the cinematography, the music, the editing...

We definitely need more of this wonderful stories to stay positive in times like this!

Hollywood, Cannes, etc. I just don't get their philosophy ... they award so much trash, and this one didn't get any attention at all .... Unbelievable!
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Inspirational and a breath of fresh air
kandiejiofor21 February 2019
Completely blown away by the artistry and skill of this film! As Ejiofor's directorial debut he has not failed us. He delivered a story which is heartwarming but let's not forget how much he's overcome; learning a new language, filming in Malawi, writing, directing and acting all at the same time- pure genius! Simba is a fantastic actor, quite frankly they all are! Can't wait to watch again and look forward to more, from all!
53 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I appreciate the authenticity
bwerekachirwa6 March 2019
As a man born and raised in Malawi I appreciate the attention to detail presented in this movie. Granted the Chichewa wasn't the best, but I can respect the directors attempt to incorporate our language into the movie. This movie is a great watch and absolutely worth your time
23 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such a beautiful and powerful film
kitcatch10 April 2019
Chiwetel Ejiofor knew exactly what he was going for with this film. You knew there was a happy ending to this and it still beats you into an emotional pulp by the end. Terrific performances across the board, with an absolute gem from young Maxwell Simba. There are so many scenes in this that are powerful, heartbreaking, beautiful, and in one case, terrifying, that by the end you will be so invested and a little saddened that you can't help but be overjoyed when the predictable happiness finally arrives.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Refreshing and inspiring
nigelbaksh3 March 2019
Havent seen such a good wholesome and inspiring movie like this in a long time. Great acting, clean images, gripping story . Keeps you hooked in from start to finish. Really hope this gets nominated for next years awards.
17 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good movie!
lilymorf2 March 2019
Very good movie! A moving story entertaining so much so that my boyfriend achievement not to fall asleep, a Friday after the exhausting week, which shows that is an excellent movie. One of the few Netflix movies that I can say is really good.
27 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great watch..
rodbanks2 March 2019
I watch movies day in day out no matter who the director is.. this movie was inspiring to me to see what he did with half an education and scraps...
23 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film that is about something and makes you care about the people
ron-newbold12 September 2020
As someone who was born in Zambia, grew up in Zimbabwe and lived in the short-lived Central African Federation of those 2 countries plus Malawi, this film meant a great deal. It felt and sounded very authentic, the characters spoke and behaved like real people facing problems that make many of ours (speaking as an Australian) seem minor in comparison. Like how to get a decent if elementary education and avoiding the lure of ready cash at the expense of the environment and future agricultural productivity. When you have to sell the tin roofing of your house and replace it with thatch. Beautifully filmed, acted and directed.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Positive Film
tetrahymna18 September 2020
I was anxious to see this film after reading the book. It is based upon the autobiography of a boy who brings electricity to his village. I loved the tie ins to ecological destruction, the desperate condition of the village, and the exploitation of the villagers for a quick profit. Th film actually waters down some of his experiences as he built the windmill, possibly for time's sake, or maybe because they didn't want to overwhelm viewers.

Great Biopic about a real hero, not just a celebrity.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feel good film
ericanjensen2 March 2019
You won't be disappointed. It's an inspirational, uplifting movie, that left me feeling so proud for this amazing young man. We need more movies like this.
19 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good but a bit too long
pinkpab8 January 2020
We all know how the movie is going to end, whether because we know the true story behind it, or because we have read the title. In my opinion, the time it takes to reach the final scenes before the ending is too long. Some scenes could be shortened or just eliminated.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Truly Inspirational
hrolandwhite18 February 2019
This is one of the most inspirational movies I've seen lately, maybe ever. This is a must see, Netflix scored big with this one.
28 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.