Shakespeare & Hathaway: Private Investigators (TV Series 2018– ) Poster

Wasted in daytime!
Juliancturner1 March 2018
This is a real gem hidden in the daytime schedules. Surely season 2 must move to prime Time!
52 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gorgeous
Gabbiadini4 March 2018
Love this show. Wonderful actors and beautiful locations combined with humorous script and twisty plots makes it a joy to watch . Hope for more episodes
44 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bright New Comedy Drama
comimew26 February 2018
Just watched the first episode of this new Comedy Drama and I can't wait for more. It is light, bright and funny without all the usual cliches. The storyline was not at all predictable and the plot keenly written. 10 out of 10 for all involved in the production of Shakespeare and Hathaway - more please.
43 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
brilliant well done BBC
vah_romsey28 February 2018
Loved it - watched first two episodes back to back funny, decent plots pleased to see Mr Benton back but Well done BBC Patrick Walshe McBride - only one word BRILLIANT!
47 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it!
isabelmcmann7 March 2018
Someone asked why it was on in the daytime, don't know but so was Father Brown and I loved that as well! This is a gem, characters are funny, loveable and the plots are good. Really hope there's a second series.
40 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very watchable.
angelabarker9 March 2018
I loved this series & hope there is another in the pipeline. Amazing locations, gentle to watch, no violence, blood or gore. Should be on prime time T.V.
31 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The new miss marple
georgianelson-078367 March 2018
The first episode was merely to pass the time but I fell in love. With cute Shakespearean references the show gives the feeling of comfort one bizarrely finds in murder mysteries. Already suggested the show to many friends and appear to have single handedly buikt a fan base of people realising the shows genius.
33 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't let the gimmicky title put you off - it's a lot better than you might think.
ianlouisiana27 February 2018
Afternoon television at its best.At last the BBC has found a good vehicle for the wonderful Miss J.Joyner,who has long displayed a latent talent for light comedy equal to her ability as a serious actor. Initially playing the hapless victim of a large - scale fraud who teams up with Mr M.Benton's ex -cop turned private eye to investigate the murder of her short - lived husband for which she is a prime suspect. Forget the silly names and the flimsy pretext of being based in Stratford - on - Avon,"Shakespeare and Hathaway" is very funny in its own right. An out - of work actor does dog work for them..."an out - of - work RADA actor" as he points out sotto voce and he has some good lines. The local law is represented by two of Mr Benton's former protegees who now regard him somewhat suspiciously as having gone rogue. This is a seriously difficult slot in the schedule to fill satisfactorily - previously "The Commander" threatened to succeed but failed after a promising start. If the BBC leave this one to develop it's own momentum I am hopeful that it's viewing figures will ensure it's "Doubles all - round" in the BBC bar come the end of its first season.
32 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant
stratford-473907 March 2018
Agree this is wasted in the afternoon deserves a prime time slot. Not everyone wants to watch blood guts and gore or reality TV
22 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love this show!!
zacnalx0424 March 2018
Please let there be a series 2! I absolutely adore this show and have seen all the episodes. :)
16 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great day time fluff
reeley-7249317 March 2018
Yes I know the title is a cliche, but then it is brimming full of quotes from the Bard himself, and it is quite fun trying to spot them all, I am sure we missed a few. If you like a harmless sex and violence free drama, this is a perfect escape. The stories are a little cliche'd and quite a lot of poetic licence is taken, but if you just sit back and watch, you are in for a treat. Yes the police are awful, even by daytime TV standards, but overall the acting is fine and the writing is just what it needs to be. It is not a 9pm programme, doesn't pretend to be, but is equally as enjoyable as Death in Paradise, Father Brown or Midsummer. More please.
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rivetting Story, Awesome Characters
kiirujohn4 March 2018
I love British shows. This one is on another level. I love the laid back, slow build up and good music. Episode 3 was the bomb.
23 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute and Quirky
zaradees14 March 2018
I don't know what this show is doing in the day time section, I would have missed it, had it not for the face that I logged into iPlayer. It reminded me of 'Death in Paradise' but set in Warwickshire. They have filmed in really scenic locations, and I love the cast. The two leads have very good on screen chemistry and their side kick, the "RADA Grad" is pretty funny. I have watched six episodes so far and I can't wait to finish it. I hope BBC renews it because it is pretty cheerful and feel good show. I am a little tired of gritty and dark dramas so this is pretty much right up my stream!
18 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quirky Funny and clever
blairm-2915711 March 2018
A great series well worth a view...decent plots with interesting plots and Patrick Walshe McBribe plays it to perfection...- so when will we get Season 2
18 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a joyful series.
Sleepin_Dragon25 February 2019
You have to hand it to The BBC, Afternoon drama has improved ten fold, largely due to the impact of Father Brown, a few shows have tried, and been OK, such as The Coroner, but as they did with Father Brown, they've hit on a winner with Shakespeare and Hathaway. For my money it's better then many of the night time dramas, and arguably is worthy of a better viewing slot, but it really is good family fun.

As a nation we love a good mystery, we love a well drawn character, and a clever plot, we get all of those things here, along with a good dollop of humour, Mark Benton, Jo Joyner and Patrick Walshe McBride are all wonderful in their respective roles, all able to do humour and drama with ease.

Favourite episode to date for me has to be Ill Met by Moonlight, I am delighted to see a second series is currently transmitting, hopefully it will continue into the future just as Father Brown has.

Hugely entertaining. 9/10
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Charming and truly funny
sgar-129 June 2018
Quite a surprising gem, frequently makes me laugh out loud. Terrific cast and snappy writing. Watching it on BBC Canada I suspect it's chopped down for commercials-I'll have to keep an eye out for an uncut source.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great show
barlindam10 March 2018
Missed it and watching on catch, absolutely love it, characters are great. Easy to watch, gentle comedy. Frank and Lu are great, Sebastian is delightful. More please
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely fantastic
justmebrenton10 March 2019
This program is absolutely fantastic Jo, Mark and Patrick are just the best. I can't believe this isn't on prime time but I kind of understand why it isn't. I wanted Jo to go back to Eastenders but if she's making programs like this then carry on. Here's to more seasons.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
FINALLY A SHOW...
msteak7 March 2019
...that is mildly witty, diverse in characters, chock-full w/quotes from The Bard of Avon (got to be quick to catch them), a bit of 'doing in' (as only can happen in the beautiful English country-side) but most of all NO GRATUITOUS CUSSING!!! This is good clean TV.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eeeeeeexcellent!!!
jack-115-85359919 March 2019
If you are a fan of exquisite British murder mysteries in the vein of Midsommer Murders you will be hooked! Fun characters, engaging comedic elements and very interesting plot twists make this a winner!! LOVE IT!!!😎
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
so much fun
katherinjones23 March 2018
Wow, another crime show ... that's what i thought at first. in fact is a fun and entertaining series about a retired cop who is now a private investigator and one of his clients who becomes his business partner after being found not guilty with his help. they are fun, witty and with the help of their loyal assistant solve cases and made me laugh in the process. the nice scenery of the filming locations and the British accents make it even more enjoyable. i hope they will make season 2 soon enough!
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love, love, love it
daisymay-208525 March 2019
I so love this show. I think I have watched series 1 at least 15 times. I am currently watching both series on catch up and can't wait for season 3.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Need to see more!!! New series please
joandgale3 April 2018
This was a short series and I loved it. I too wondered why it was only in the afternoon. Funny, with good story lines, great casting too, wonderful balance of actors!
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you enjoy shows like "Murder, She Wrote"...
pd78w3 April 2019
... or "Miss Marple," then you'll probably like this. Very lightweight stuff, not much real drama. Shows like "Happy Valley" and "Vera" are not complicated but still have more meat on their bones.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good fun
keri-5287714 March 2019
The pilot was almost the downfall but fortunately I stuck with it. The show is quirky and funny. Mark Benton and Jo Joyner are a fantastic do well in the comic relief provided by Patrick Walsh McBride completes the show.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.