Bad Reputation (2018) Poster

A Testement To A Rock n Roll Pioneer
mdroel2027 September 2018
Joan Jett was a trailblazer for women and outsiders in rock n roll and Bad Reputation does a decent job condensing this into a 90 minute raw and intense dive into the highest highs and lowest lows of Joan Jett's illustrious career. While the storytelling is a bit disjointed, it is absolutely a worthwhile watch. I would recommend to any music aficionado.
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
We still don't know much about her
oldchummer15 March 2019
I was expecting this to be rather in-depth look at Joan Jett as opposed to more of a reaction to her from other people. It tends to be a quite redundant documentary, with Joan's peers and fans (often other big name musicians such as Billie Joe Armstrong, Iggy Pop, Debbie Harry, etc.) talking about how she was groundbreaking just for being a female rocker basically. So here's the thing, I'm sure there were actual sexist people who really didn't like what she was doing, my issue with this tends to be I think this tends to be a bit exagerrated at times. For example, they go on about how she talked about sex in her music and how this was taboo or socially unacceptable just because of her gender, by comparing it to Mick Jagger being sexually suggestive. I'm sorry, but yes there was blowback to male musicians being overtly sexual, especially in the south, hell parent groups (often headed by mothers) largely tried banning Male centric hard rock and metal music for being graphic, violent and (you guessed it) sexually suggestive. Seriously look up the PMRC. I get the feeling that a lot of the disgust and criticism directed towards Joan comes with the territory as opposed to it be a gender bias. Guys with long hair were often picked on or subjected to homophobic slurs sometimes.

Its more often a diatribe about this kind of stuff for large portions of the documentary as opposed to her musical process or anything much to do with her personal relationship with any of her bandmates. It even glosses this over with the Runaways. It doesn't particularly give much more insight into who she is than what we already know about her.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great subject, horrible filmmaking. You made Joan Jett boring.
GormanBechard3 January 2019
This is a perfect example of a great subject ruined by someone who just has no clue how to tell a compelling story. Watch this film and you will know no more about Joan Jett than you did before you watched it. There are times you will be screaming at your monitor: "what does this have to do with Joan Jett?" Tangents, tangents, and more useless tangents. And really, what the hell was Billie Joe Armstrong doing in this film? It was another example of a filmmaker thinking big name interviewees would add to the story. You would have thought filmmakers would have learned by now. The person we want to hear from is the subject. The person we want to hear from is Joan Jett. No one gives a damn what the singer from Green Day thinks of her. The film made me angry. And the filmmaker really should have watched the brilliant documentary, The Punk Singer, about one of his interviewees Kathleen Hanna, to see how a rock doc should be made. So bad, so bad, so freakin' bad. Please don't ever make another film, Kevin Kerslake. You made Joan Jett boring.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This One's Perfect.
therese_callahan20021 October 2018
I was able to see this one last night, and I was just as impressed as I was with "The Runaways" eight years ago. I've actually been a fan of Ms. Jett since her tenure with The Runaways, and still think she's the greatest. This documentary is worth seeing, and just may get Golden Globe and Oscar nominations.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
sense of Joan
SnoopyStyle26 January 2019
It's a documentary about female rock pioneer Joan Jett. It follows her from her teen years in L.A. and forming The Runaways with Cherie Currie, Lita Ford, and producer Kim Fowley. After the band's collapse, she falls into despair until she connects with bubble-gum music writer/producer Kenny Laguna. She starts up Joan Jett & The Blackhearts and forced to start a label of their own.

In general, I know about The Runaways and The Blackhearts but I don't know about Laguna. It's a solid biopic of the highs and the lows of her career. It goes through the generalities of The Runaways. Her drug use could be expanded on. I would have liked to know where she was when she heard about the deaths of her friends Sid and Nancy. Does she have any words of wisdom about them? As for the rest, her relationship with Laguna is the most interesting. It doesn't skip over their lulls in the 90's. There are also famous fans doing their thing. The two main non-connected ones are Billie Joe Armstrong and Miley Cyrus. While I appreciated Armstrong, I can do without Cyrus. No matter how hard she tries, Cyrus can never be punk. If it's young female Hollywood, they could have used more Kristen Stewart. At least, she has more professional connection to Joan Jett. One gets a good sense of her in this doc and that's always the main goal.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic Doc!!
dcoydcoy26 February 2019
I've loved women in rock since I can remember. My friend Kelly's band opened for Joan in their first club tour of the west coast in early '82 when her first solo album hit the stores. Only 200 ppl in the club and she literally tore the roof off the place. Since then I've watched all those she's paved the road for. Rockers like Hynde and Kathleen Hanna. What I don't get about this doc, is the input of Miley! A talking-singing horse of no real substance or value. Yes she praised Joan, but Joan should've let her be. Amongst her own horse element.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't hardly know her
nogodnomasters12 February 2019
This is a documentary of the life of Joan Jett. The good news is she is still alive to tell it. The bad news she is still alive to tell it. The problem with iconic rockers is that they either die young or fry their brains out an do an Ozzie impersonation. Joan Jett seemed fried and her mouth moved oddly as if she had a stroke or used botox.

I loved the first hour of the film showing her life to the '90s. After that, it fell off a cliff except for the Hall of Fame induction. Even though it was a documentary, they could have introduced a little more drama into it. And in spite of what Joan Jett claims, I didn't like Kristen Stewart in that role.

The DVD does give you 4 guitar pics.

Guide: F-word. Nudity.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Holy Moly this was bad
big_kmc15 April 2019
I think this could have been an interesting story had it been made in 2015 or earlier. Joan Jett is an interesting person but her story was more or less rushed through. I didn't know much about her or her bands and I was confused about who was in the bands and how they formed because the pace was so fast.. I guess it was rushed through so you can get to the last third of the documentary containing the highly unoriginal one sided social justice messages that are being rammed down our throats by the left that feel very tacked on and over-emphasized. It almost felt like it was part of a checklist. As if the extreme left are the only ones who care or have perspective, insight or ideas around the world's problems. Bad Reputation is just all around not that inspiring and feels very mainstream and icky. The reviews on imdb like the reviews on amazon have been co-opted into giving unnecessesarily high ratings to things that don't deserve them. This is one of them.
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great music doc
lorenzomusic-0053322 June 2019
This is one great movie. It should be the prime example in film school of how to structure a music documentary--get all the people involved to talk, keep the music coming, roll the old footage, and when there isn't old footage, show the stills, no matter how grainy or scribbled over with felt-tip pens.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.