Gangster Maari squares off against Beeja, a hardened criminal who considers himself to be the God of death.
Did You Know?
Yuvan Shankar Raja replaced Anirudh Ravichander as the film's composer. This is the second Dhanush sequel in which another composer replaces Anirudh Ravichander who scored for the first film, the other being Velaiilla Pattadhari (2014), in which Sean Roldan was the replacement. See more
In advance of the film's UK release, the distributor chose to make several self-imposed cuts to the film in order to ensure that upon formal classification the film received a 12A rating without running into censorship problems. The distributor made the following changes to the film:
- During the opening sequence in which the antagonist is introduced the distributor made cuts to remove sight of him cutting the throat of a man on a hospital bed
- A short-while later as Maari is introduced the distributor removed sight of an hatchet impacting a man's chest and all sight of Maari hitting opponents with hammers.
- A flashback sequence to the antagonist's time in prison was also reduced; removing all sight of his teeth being forcefully extracted along with sight of him taking revenge by stabbing and slashing opponents (this includes shots of non-detailed stab wounds).
- The shootings of Maari's rival and his henchmen was reduced to remove all sight of the bullet impacts.
- The fight before the interval block inside the chapel was reduced; sight of Maari stabbing a man in the chest was removed, along with sight of Maari being stabbed in the back twice
- The final showdown was cut short; the distributor removed all sight of Maari hitting the antagonist in the face with chains and then purposely striking his spine repeatedly till it breaks in an act of revenge violence.
Following these changes this edited version of the film was passed 12A uncut upon a formal submission (The uncut version has never been submitted to the BBFC but was passed uncut at 15A in Ireland). Total Difference: 2m 57s (UK version: 143m 20s - International Version: 146m 17s) See more