The Turning (2020) Poster

(2020)

"What??"
lesleyannemandigo25 January 2020
It was like watching an hour and a half movie trailer. You get left wanting to know what happens...
80 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nobody has time for movies like this.
sautdebasque28 January 2020
Complete waste of time. I was close to walking out but I was hoping it got better. The ending confirmed that I should have walked out.

I'm irritated I lost precious time to go see this train wreck.
36 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A slow burn that unfortunately fizzles out with a weird ending.
prettyh-124 January 2020
I like horror movies and thrillers, I like modern takes on period pieces and classics, and I like the cast and am a fan of the director's music videos and earlier film work (i.e. The Runaways). So I expected to enjoy this update on The Turn of the Screw. I did not enjoy it, I'm sad to report. There was too little story or suspense to hold one's attention throughout, and that's a shame.

The cast certainly did their jobs -- Finn Wolfhard is no longer the nerdy little kid, and Mackenzie Davis was convincing in her role as a driven-to-the-edge tutor -- and it was visually beautiful throughout a lot of the film. But early jump scares suck a lot of the suspense out of it all. And a distinct lack of backstory/characterization leaves way too many questions about what, exactly, there is to be afraid of in the giant, creaky house. The little girl's fears are left unexplained, at least in terms of being satisfactory; the huge personality shift in the boy is sort of waved away; and the many unexplained deaths in the history of the estate are just confusing. I kept wondering if cuts had been made to the script or in the editing room, because things didn't flow at all and it really affected the atmosphere.

The ending will drive a lot of viewers to yell at the screen. Our half-full opening night theatre did a lot of groaning and saying, "You've got to be kidding me!" as the credits suddenly began to roll. Maybe that finale would've worked better had everything leading up to it actually added up to more...but unless we get a Director's Cut we'll never know. I wish I could recommend this movie. I can't. Not scary, nonsensical, and not enough to be worth the price of admission. -HV
72 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No ending
todoparami25 January 2020
Great cast! Just hated the ending, screenwriter should have been true to the books ending. Why invest everyones time in such a let down? There was no ending that closed off or left open any theories. Audiences just walked out the theater full of disappointment. Abrupt scene change that felt totally disconnected from the rest of the movie. Allowing audiences to feel a major dissatisfaction.
52 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Turns a little too much but too little
wittierland24 January 2020
Right of the bat the movie looks promising with a beautiful location and atmosphere. This is wasted barely halfway through when cheap jump scares ensue. Ghosts in a window reflection don't get scarier throughout a films run time. Mackenzie Davis gives it her best but is wasted on a convoluted script. When you think the movie is heading into its third act and will answer all its baffling questions, the credits begin rolling. Its biggest crime is teasing creepy scenes in its promotional material and not including them. The spider on Miles' face especially.
52 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"The Turning" Title is for the state of my stomach for 94 minutes and my head for 2 hours afterward
patrickullmer25 January 2020
I loved the book "The Turn of the Screw" by Henry James. I was expecting this film to be cliched, to be weak in horror and heavy in jumpscares- but I did not expect it to be as bad as it turned out being. It moves too slow, is riddled with too many jumpscares, and tries to be smart by adding a twist at the ending and twisting that twist with another twist twice. Utterly disappointing. Mackenzie Davis deserves much better for her career.
43 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not sure what to think...
LSUK24 January 2020
Very annoyed by this movie. It had potential but every good plot idea fizzled out into nothing. There were too many cheap jump scares and way too many unanswered questions. The ending left not only me but the entire cinema audience questioning what actually happened...

Such a good location and atmosphere but I feel like there was too much going on. The acting was good but was ruined by the dull and in my opinion, non-existent story line.
36 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The movie cats was better than this movie
Jacksonsev26 January 2020
I WATCHED THIS SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO. Good performance from the lead actress. Subpar on everything else. The plot was so incoherent even for the brightest individuals. And SO many plot holes might I add. What was up with the beginning scene? That wasn't (maybe) imagined. That was from the little girls point of view. WHAT WAS THE STORY BEHIND THAT??? The movie was building up (with VERY disappointed jump scares) to something maybe interesting, but then dropped a nuclear bomb on the entire project. As a wise Ariana Grande once said,"thank you, next."
23 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Last minute change to the ending, I presume, destroyed it
rubellan27 January 2020
My favorite adaptation of this move is the one with Patsy Kensit from the late 80's. Very atmospheric and effective.

I found this version adequate until the end. It was so abrupt and veered into such a weird direction that it appeared to be a last minute change that fell beyond flat. The impression I got is they tried to suddenly make it about genetic mental illness rather than an actual ghost story. The last time she looks in the mirror and claims she sees the ghost, there really was nothing there. Then the layered dialog emphasizes something Mrs. Gross just stated about whatever her mother has (mental illness), hopefully she doesn't get it. The kids call her crazy, walk out of the room and the movie's over. Are you kidding?

I can't assume this was the direction they were going in the whole time. And a scene from the trailer, in which a large spider is crawling out of the boy's mouth, was not even in the movie, so that points even further towards a change in direction. But whoever decided on this direction made a very bad decision.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What an absolutely terrible movie
cobain_197924 January 2020
Opens on the announcement of Kurt Cobain's death for no reason at all and never references it again. "Music" plays a theme but not 90s grunge music, for some very odd reason. Then it ends as abruptly as Monty Python and The Holy Grail. You're just sitting there wondering what just happened.
51 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Garbage
seanfett26 January 2020
I gave The Turning 2 stars. The only things worth looking at in this "film" are the wardrobe and the house. Other than that this junker gets 2 👎🏻👎🏻 And and extra long fart noise.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Save your money!
alhanoofsh25 January 2020
I wasted my money and time 💔 bad story with bad ending, we were so confused.
26 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I think my theater was missing a reel?
witchybetch26 January 2020
At the climactic point, the screen blipped and the credits rolled up. I'm so confused. I don't think they use film reels any more, but a good 20 minutes is missing from the story. It wasn't edgy or unique. It was literally just dumb. I remember feeling this way about Schindlers List in the early 90s. Except that was because it was on two vhs tapes and I had only rented part 1.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just watch The Others.
jacksnackfan27 January 2020
I sat through that whole movie and I still can't tell you what happened. It's literally the most forgettable movie ever.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
so sick of this crap
dslip0524 January 2020
I freaking hate artsy crap movies with no ending that you can make sense of. Were there ghosts? Was she crazy? Who knows? I'm sure there will be people who think this is the greatest movie ever, I'm not one of them.
69 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In it's defense, have you read the book?
laurennickels26 January 2020
Was it an 8 star film? No. But did it deserve the 3.7? Also no. The biggest complaint is the ending but I can tell you the book doesn't end any less abruptly so they didn't have a lot to go off of. If anything they gave you more information and plot in the movie. If you want to know the book ending, though, I can tell you Flora goes to live with her uncle shortly after the confrontation the movie ends on, Miles dies, and the governess takes a different job. People are complaining about how vague it was since you don't know if the ghosts are real or not but that is the entire point of the movie and book. Not knowing if you're going insane or not is almost scarier than the ghosts. The only thing that could've saved this movie based on a confusing and vague book is having a linear time line and not doing the "and the last half hour is all in her head" and left it at that. I think the movie worked with what it had, the acting was good, and Miles' character was well written because you didn't know whether to like him or not. I'm not going to see it again but I don't think it was a waste of my time.
33 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't waste your money
jackiedarkness7725 January 2020
It was aweful!! Waste of money and time. At the end my daughter was like I don't understand. I just want to forget i watched it. Well aleast the popcorn was good.
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not worth watching
corinamosqueda25 January 2020
There was some parts where you think something is going to happen and then nothing. Nothing get reveals and nothing makes sense. Also the written description of the movie isn't accurate. A man does not hire the girl a women does..... good acting I will say but horrible story line.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute horrible
asosa-2659824 January 2020
I went to see this movie with very low expectations since horror films usually dont do well in January, like the grudge. And, of course, it didnt surprise me how horrible this movie is. The first 15 mins was ok, but after that this film went nowhere and the ending somehow ended abruptly in my opinion. Dont waste your money. If you really want to see it, wait till it comes out on redbox. But be warned, you will be bored of this film. Its not even scary. Safe to say, i wont be watching this movie any time soon.
21 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Turning to heavy drinking
cawlztothewall27 January 2020
Years ago, I saw the Total Recall remake despite scathing reviews, and I actually enjoyed it. Unfortunately, the reviews for this movie were forgiving, if anything, and I wasted precious time that I'll never get back.

For once, I blame none of this on the acting, which I found to be convincing and entertaining. That is the only positive element of this "movie". The script is one of the worst I've ever heard, more bland than unseasoned chicken, with lines like, "You shouldn't be here. You should go to bed."

Then there's the story. Even if it headed in the direction I thought it was going, it was still pretty confusing, but I was so, so wrong, because it was downright senseless. It failed the book on so many levels, and it failed horror fans across all mediums of entertainment.

Please, save your money and time. Don't end up like me. I'm begging you.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WTF?????
siskert26 January 2020
Felt ripped off by the unexplainable ending. Very disappointed
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun to Watch, but Nonending Fails to Satisfy
friendly-7679924 January 2020
The Turning is a supernatural horror film about a young governess hired by a wealthy family to look after two children.

It is adapted from an 1898 horror novella "The Turn of the Screw".

The Turning is convincingly acted and technically well executed. It nails the proven formula of anticipation and jump scares.

The main disappointment is the ending that leaves only questions. After more than an hour of buildup, the director does not offer resolution for the characters or an explanation of what has been transpiring. The intentionally cryptic ending is the director's unapologetic take on the source material. Unfortunately, the extreme level of ambiguity is not an audience pleaser. The story would have been better served if the conclusion offered more subtle feelings of unease or doubt.

Half the theater was talking after the credits trying to figure out what had happened in the last 20 minutes.

It was entertaining enough to watch, but The Turning is a middling horror movie.

23 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What an eye-rolling disaster
tameradevine27 January 2020
Oh COME ON!! Take one of the greatest horror stories of all time and turn it into a mishmash of cheap scares with a no-ending ending.

Myself and everyone else in the theatre where I saw this was just totally irritated they had wasted two hours of their life on this film.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of Time
kds-7656426 January 2020
Read the reviews and hoped it was better. Not! The movie had potential. The actors were all very good, but the story was convoluted and had many holes in it. So many unanswered questions!! Then it ENDS?! What a disappointment - if it had ended 5 minutes earlier, the ending would've been better. We walked out feeling as if we wasted our afternoon.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst movie of the year!!!
justin-fencsak25 January 2020
Before the turning came out, I never even heard of the story it is based on. Now that I've seen a mess of a movie, I might as well read the story to get a better knowledge on how the filmmakers adapted it for a modern audience. The only good thing about this movie is the 90s like soundtrack, which is available to stream on Spotify and other services and features a new track by Courtney Love. Avoid this movie at all costs and wait for A Quiet Place Part II to come out.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.