Ellipse (2019) Poster

(2019)

Ellipse
ashalisalamdanam7 November 2019
These days anyone with a camera thinks he can make a movie. Of course he can try, but how good will this movie be? My opinion is if you decided to make a movie, lacking a budget and with yourself as a main actor, then at least find a good screenplay, something special, emotional, that those who watch the movie would appreciate the story, if not the acting and stunts. This movie would have had some chances to become a good movie, if the writer had possessed better knowledge of physics and astronomy to make a more scientifically substantiated plot. You can't stuff your movie with nonsense, just because it's a science fiction, people won't buy it. The first thing that struck me in this movie and killed my interest was when the spaceship turned upside down and the attraction went towards the ceiling and all this in space!!! where there is no gravity. All this said, I'm giving this movie 3 stars, cause of the dog, and its most natural acting.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why did they have to dumb it down so much?
dkk982317 November 2019
I cannot understand why the makers had to dumb down the script so much. So many stupid lines. Why there is this belief that a movie cannot be understood by the "average" viewer? Half the population has an IQ above average by definition. Target them.

Such a wasted opportunity. Also, the viewer is so obviously pushed to have an emotional connection with the character, and to make that happen they decided to put a handsome actor talking half stupid, showing so long minutes of love story with the girlfriend but most importantly with the dog (a trip on a motorbike?!?).

It seems they put a bit of an effort in the last two lines of the script. What a wasted opportunity. The idea of gravity anomalies should have been explored far more without the cheesy parts. It was supposed to be a sci-fi movie!
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible, just horrible...
jayjayvis6 November 2019
Do not waste your time this "movie" is unbelievably stupid, empty and worthless. Stay away!
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The whole film can be summed up with one statement.
FrankMichaelOrlando7 November 2019
Over ripe mangos on embarrassingly visible strings.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cliche, after cliche, after cliche, and so on.
rsvp3216 November 2019
I confess to being a sci fi aficionado, and will watch anything with a synopsis that sounds interesting, even in the smallest way - regardless of the rating here.

I gave this one a chance, and in the first six minutes I thought it was going to be a hidden gem, then it went rapidly downhill from there.

The main character is a very annoying, whining, beta-male that has several tantrums and has a bad drinking problem. His continual grunts, groans, and other loud mouth noises was extremely distracting.

The unbelievably bad science aside, even at an elementary school level, the story is completely meaningless and nonsensical. That is a shame, because with proper writers and directing, this intriguing plot could actually have been an excellent indie!

It's an unoccupied "planet", but as soon as he gets into the wooded area, we see fallen trees obviously limbed and crosscut by chainsaws! In one closeup, he's using a flat cut stump for a table to work on! Oh, yes he was! ....He also makes a recording giving a scientific analysis that "there's no life on the planet, it's just rocks!" - while he's in a forest and burning branches.

If you take chances on indie sci fi movies like I do, save your time on something other than this one. This one should be put on a rocket and fired into the sun!
23 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is unbelievable bad
rasmus-14431 May 2019
Aiming for the title as the worst movie of the year, and I usually like odd movies.
25 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stupid, boring and an annoying.
marieah7 December 2019
I had to write this when I saw a couple of super high ratings that could only have been put here by mates of the makers attempting to bolster the low rating. The main actor is wooden, unattractive and unlikeable. I mean who gets drunk and then, still drinking goes joyriding in a space craft through an asteroid field? And who then calls Mayday after they crash and expects somebody to spend a few million rescuing them. I hated him for that and he did nothing to redeem himself in the next 30 minutes and I could take no more than that. I just really sorry for the poor dog, who was stuck with the guy for the whole movie.
So, so terrible..
lizshotter-1940123 November 2019
I initially thought that this was a parody of 80's science fiction, until I realised that this was for reals. Having a limited budget is no longer an excuse for crappy film making, as the guys that produced The Endless and Spring can attest to (seriously, check this films out..much better than this dross). Those films stayed with me for weeks afterwards, and ignited a sense of wonder. This just irritated me and insulted my intelligence as to how space works. The protagonist mistakes grunting and heaving with conveying pain and frustration, when in fact he just appears to be having a particularly hard and dry bowel movement. The one star is for the dog and because this site doesn't do minus points.
Terrible, stay clear
shaundillon67-609-18747421 November 2019
This film can be summed up in one word......
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tin foil jet pack and an Apple Watch!
tueypreston21 November 2019
Possibly the worst film I've seen in a very long time, dodgy CGI makeup storyline and the main characters voice dubbing is criminally bad! Almost every scene has you asking why how and what. They should have spent the budget on a nice holiday!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shockingly bad - dog was good
deanwhite-7800319 November 2019
One of the worst movies I've seen. The dog should be rehired. But the main actotor.. Mfg I'll leave it there
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
TOTAL CRAP
JohnGaultProSe31 December 2019
This movie should be erased and deleted from the face of this Earth, ASAP! I feel bad for the dog who most-likely had no say as to whether or not it was ok with being seen in this stupid waste of film.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute Garbage
darkerpotato1 December 2019
Can't even start to describe how terrible this was. Don't waste your time watching this😂
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
worst movie I've ever seen
papothird22 November 2019
This movie is a complete waste of time. No thought at all put into it. The acting is unbelievably terrible. And as far as the plot not at all.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pathetic
Tysonbuttler1215 December 2019
He kills his dog while on a suicide mission to get Vodka because he's sad...
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow
jsc_contractors26 November 2019
Wow is all I can say right now. This is by far that worse low budget film I have ever seen in my life. The cover pic for this movie tells soooooooo much lies of what to expect. A movie of a man and a bog on a planet with NO OTHER live beings wtf is theater coming to. Smfh!!!!!!!!! A big f*#!ing spoiler too!!!!!!!
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Self-Indulgence and Space Mangoes
bhsfacebook12 April 2020
It's always a bad sign when a film is directed by, written by and stars the same person. That's what you're getting here and it will be obvious within the first half hour that things are going very wrong. The space mangoes hanging from pine trees by fishing line is symptomatic of the low bar. Then there's endless slow motion and blatant attempts to jerk tears. Also, the "alien world" looks exactly like the mountains of California.

The best thing in this movie is a dog.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasn't the worst sci-fi film ice ever seen
criplord-3467824 November 2019
I thought it was rather strange he was wearing a regular watch on one wrist and a smart watch on the other. There are thighs that could've certainly been different about this film for sure but I've seen say worse and a lot lower produced sci-fi films than this.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Review Of "Ellipse"
ASouthernHorrorFan29 November 2019
The story has emotional depth written into the concept, with subject matter revolving around loss and sorrow. Unfortunately there is never a moment that allows the viewer to connect or get a sense of that emotion. Almost every moment is tore down by spoofy humor and "Dad joke" silliness. The story arc is more or less a series of unfortunate events leading up to one miraculous stretch of the imagination.

The acting is a mix of one-liners, coordinated stunt drama and deep exposition that seems to get lost in fantasy fodder. The best thing going for "Ellipse" is the genuine attachment you develop for the dog in the story. There isn't much opportunity to develop a real connection with the lead human actor because comedy cuts that cord each and every time.

The special effects are the expected blend of low budget CGI like what is seen on the Syfy channel, and Game play stuff. Beyond a few noticable sci-fi elements everything about this movie looks like the here-and-now. The film does have a decent soundtrack and the cinematography is quality- minus the generic "male model fashion video-esque" moments.

Overall I was disappointed with "Ellipse". I expected a bit more sci-fi in a film that is supposed to be all sci-fi. Still I could have accepted that if the schtick hadn't stepped over the only legitimate story element- the subject of loss, mortality, and the pain associated with the human experience. Plus as heartfelt as the ending was it felt a little bit unnecessary. But I was all about the dogs storyline.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe everything you read in reviews about this movie
bmynars7 November 2019
As the subject line states, do not believe everything you read about this movie. I don't think it deserves the bashing it gets. I sort of liked it. The movie is a bit quirky and because it is Sci-Fi, hey, I am a sucker for it. It is not your big budget movie but it is not bad. It's not just watchable but actually, I think it was good. The story is interesting as well. The only caution I would give would be it is a slow pace movie, so if you expect a fast paced action flick with lot's of shooting and flashes, this movie is not for you. If, however, you don't mind taking it slowly and absorbing the story as intended, I don't think you will be disappointed.
6 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Screw what the bad reviews say.
bcgooden14 November 2019
This was far better than i expected and touching. I cried and a movie hasn't made me do that in ages.
4 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad ,not fun
leggo-739-73735223 December 2019
It is nice .... Dog acted better than human. Beautiful surroundings
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I need a jump
nogodnomasters22 November 2019
John has problems with alcohol. He is traveling in space and gets too close to D-14 which has unusual characteristics including gravity and time. John walks around in self-pity, self-hate, talking to his dog which unfortunately doesn't talk back like in the cult classic. John was boring as was the dialogue. Nice "Heavy Metal" type of scene in the beginning which created a fun atmosphere, quickly destroyed.

Guide: No swearing, sex, or nudity.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad
BandSAboutMovies26 November 2019
Directors Joe Bland and Grant Martin have created a new sci-fi thriller that claims to prove that everything that we know about the weather is wrong. It all starts on a typical work day for an intergalactic military surveyor and his canine partner, which soon turns into an emergency crash landing, placing the team on a small uncharted planet.

Grant Martin is the writer, co-director and star of this movie, as he and his dad must discover how to survive on a planet that has no fixed axis, weather patterns, gravity or even time like they're used to. Even worse, he's addicted to alcohol and has none of it, along with memories of his dead girl to make things even worse. Now, he's face to face with his greatest enemy, himself.

If you have a dog, I'll spoil something for you now. Mac the dog survives the planet, but the movie ends with his owner facing his death fifteen years later. I've lost a best friend this year, so if this is the kind of thing that will make you cry like it did me, let me tell you before you get this far. Otherwise, I enjoyed the movie.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie.
lvsliek7 November 2019
I was skeptical at first, I gave it a try and was left with a pleasent sadness at the end. I can't watched a movie that made me genuinely feel something in a long time. This movie was not what I expected and considering it's a man and his dog in a foreign planet stranded. I think they did a great job. And looking forward to their second movie Colonials I just found in Facebook. This is not a fake review. I like the acting and plot. Kudos Jack and Grant, you guys did a wonderful job.
2 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.