The Rising Hawk (2019) Poster

A whole lot of nothing
TopDawgCritic6 June 2020
Ugghhh dragged on and on forever with zero reward. Too long, too slow, boring story, terrible screenplay with tons of long dragged out and unnecessary scenes. And the cliches were unbearable. This felt like a 5th grade drama class production. The score was annoying, the directing - especially the fight scenes, were laughable. Medieval Times themed restaurants have more realistic fight scenes. Even the acting was atrocious - which I'm sure the directors are partly to blame for failing to direct their cast. What was Tommy Flanagan thinking getting involved with this flop? And did anyone bother checking the sound? There was an entire scene where all you hear is the horses and their breathing and the dialogue was coming from behind a hill lol. The 2+ ridiculously long runtime felt like I wasted half a day watching this. Who and why did anyone fund this mess? It's a very generous 3/10 from me.
58 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheesy as hell!
zof2225 June 2020
You can always tell when a project has had to use American funding. This is a prime example. It's such a shame that an amazing time period in history is dragged down and into this base low brow Hollywood format as have so many others. Every cliche'd movie moment and every stereotypical character is in there being, doing and talking cheesily. If you like shallow historical period action movies with American accents then.."fill your boots"...just not filling mine with such crud.. This would have been a 1 out of 10 but saved by some pretty good VFX.
62 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Felt like a made for TV movie from the 70s, low budget
Oakridger6 June 2020
I watched this for about 30 min and it was getting increasingly stupid until luckily when I tried to fast forward it hung up. At that time I realized, phew, I should *not* be wasting my time with such a poorly done film.

The story seems interesting and I kept wondering if it were accurate, historically, but I couldn't get past how the costumes were so poorly done, like this was incredibly low budget. I kept thinking of a 70s or 80s made for TV movie. Maybe today it would be a Hallmark film or something.

The story itself could have been interesting, the plot, but the details were so contrived, predictable, Disney-esque.

Lucky I didn't get sucked in for too long!
32 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful scenic shots. But B grade movie if that...
thedeepestblue6 June 2020
Firstly, the scenic shots are truly beautiful basing it on they aren't all CGI. It's downhill from there unfortunately.

Sorry for being harsh, but...The script is basic, mostly uneventful and rather poorly written. Accents from American to English was rather confusing!

The actors are for the part pretty average (even the well know ones that should probably know better), but this probably had more to do with the poor script and directing (possibly).

The main characters mother seems to have had one hell of a facelift with plastic surgery. Was rather off putting seeing the 13th century setting and a woman that I'm sorry to say in some scenes looked like The Joker without makeup. Why ppl continue to do this to themselves and not see how bad/unnatural it looks is beyond me. But hey, it's not my face so. Just the wrong choice for this type of movie.

In conclusion, this would best suit you if you've either A: Got nothing else to watch on a Saturday night (like me) or B: Got nothing else to watch on a Saturday night...
26 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not good.
bombersflyup6 June 2020
The Rising Hawk is formulaic, tiresome, unrewarding and unmemorable.

All of the characterization's thin and dialogue weak, the acting's fine. Other than the brothers not getting into a quarrel over the pretty girl, it's like every other film of its kind. Poppy Drayton's has a bit of a Mary McDonnell, Jennifer Connelly sort of look.
27 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring routines waste my time
gaqiyila8 June 2020
The filming was good in the early stage, what the hell is the main task behind? Can Tuga also speak Mongolian? so funny. Is it Khan who took dozens of people to attack the small village? If Khan had such a small force, how would he rule continental Europe? Who is Brenda Khan? Boring routines waste my time. I gave the two stars recognition of the scenery.
20 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Infantile pulp..
hansbuiskool8 June 2020
Totally unrealistic and predictable. Here come the bodybuilders, next comes the pretty girl, 13th century all perfect teeth, ofcourse, all engaging in cliche all one at a time dialogues accompanied by almost soap opera like camera work and by a standard moodsetting music soundtrack.. Awards and nominations, for the love of me I don't know why.. Perhaps for the nature photography, the landscapes are actually rather impressive. ;)
25 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Something is wrong here
makisunn7 June 2020
Why is this rated a 6? It's just horrible. I watched for the ratings and cast but I seem to have overlooked the cries from YouTube commenters. It's as if Russian mobsters funded this as a racket. Did they do the writing too?
24 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh how the mighty have fallen!
osteo_acu_doc8 June 2020
Let's be honest, this really is an appalling movie. What is particularly disappointing is that Robert Patrick of Terminator and Scorpion fame is in this ... and even he couldn't revive this turkey!

The one upside is Rocky Myers, who is worth watching, just because he is so flippin' gorgeous!

In reality, save yourself the time it takes to watch this and rather spend the time more productively, maybe vacuuming your car or baking a cake!
19 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice entertaining film!
diananiki3 August 2020
All 7 main actors were native English speakers so it is easy to understand, just Mongolian scenes lack English translation or subtitles.

The story itself is entertaining and interesting, moving along at a fair pace. The Carpathian sites are very well shot, and are amazing. All actors played excellent, Oliver Trevena was very entertaining. Young actors made the story pleasant. I feel like the ratings went down due to this film site is polluted by the bots of the same country that try to pollute US social media. As it is a movie about the Ukrainian history. I guess IMDB should check their accounts affiliation.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite decent but . . .
pietclausen19 June 2020
This Ukrainian made movie in English has patches of spoken language pronunciation problems which is difficult to apprehend. All the invaders' language has no English subtitles which is a discouraging factor.

The story itself is entertaining and interesting, moving along at a fair pace. Once the invaders arrive, it becomes more exciting with good fighting scenes. The climax raises the overall star rating to a decent 6.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
13th Century Period Piece: They lost me at the fist-bump
13SecondFilmReviews9 June 2020
I kid you not, five minutes into this turd you see two characters fist-bumping...IN THE 13th F'N CENTURY! I'm assuming the dolt who wrote this garbage just figured that research is for sissies. The dialog sounded exactly like hipsters hanging at a Starbucks. And the actress who played the mother had more plastic surgery done than Wendy Williams which made me at that point whip out my white flag and surrender after only twenty minutes of sitting through this torture.
21 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I understand
mohdk-1465312 June 2020
I was hesitant to watch this movie because of the negative ratings , but then I gave it a shot, and so I understand the disappointment . It talks about an interesting era in history that might be special to a lot of people who watched it and were disappointed as the scenery is nice, customs are really nice but the plot and conversations sound like they are in modern United States . I think it would have been much better if it was more original, maybe done in the original language with a more solid dialogue .
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a bad movie,but amateurish in all aspect
WatchAndSmile6 June 2020
They had a lot of good thing going,but it was ruined by horrible shaky camera work, some obvious directing problem, acting issues, at times bad fight scenes( some were good)script issues and so forth. Director and camera people should learn to use the camera for their next flick as it was one of the worst I've seen in many years. With a bit more attention to detail and a bit better cast, it would've rivaled all the Hollywood big production studios. The known actors did a good job,but the rest were less than stellar. Lot's of cliches, as another reviewer said. Questionable stunts. Some reviewers gave it a 10 seem to be "patriotic" and not truthful and the current 7.1 rating is certainly not real,but I can see it settling to 5-6 over time - to what it really deserves.

PS. the best actor in this movie was the swordsmith...
12 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing story!
andrii-chuiashenko16 October 2019
The film accurately operates the Carpathian slopes, pristine forests. After each shot, you want to grab a backpack and run for a couple of weeks to the Carpathians, return to Sinevyr again, go up the ridges and go down the meadows. Is this the only plus? Costumes, scenery, music, cast, operator work. Thank you!
30 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was amazed!
dima-goloborodov15 October 2019
I was really impressed! The movie is worth watching! The nature of Ukraine is unsurpassed! Acting game too! My rating is 9.75
33 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor the whole time
Dirk-D-Brack8 July 2020
Started nicely but after 10 minutes, it was soo slow. Most stupid scenes took minutes to watch, very amateuristic and the fighting scenes were beyond zero. No worth to watch.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An enjoyable action movie
fredsamoluk31 August 2020
I don't know why so many people have rated it below 5 stars. The movie shows moral standarts people should fight for their freedom and never choose to go to an enemies side. And traitors will always get whatever they deserve. Overall it is well made with lots of action.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good try, but fell short.
helboy25 June 2020
As pointed out by others the plot and screenplay doesnt match.But still a good effort in recreating the struggles that the protagonist and his clan went through during that era of history.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strong cast, fight scenes and beautifully shot. Watch!
sebastian_sacco5 October 2020
Great acting from the leads actors. Beautifully filmed. Sets and costumes all are to a standered way above the budget. Great fight scenes and enjoyable story. Will watch again.
Lots of Action
dugle-881754 October 2020
Great scenery backs up a good story where the faithful and true triumph over treachery.
THE RISING HAWK is a beautiful story about the true past of Ukrainian history
mumsey1633 October 2020
I don't know what movie most of you watched but it wasn't THE RISING HAWK. The scenery was beautiful. The acting was very good. There wasn't any unusual slow not needed scenes. Fight scenes were above & beyond most movies. Yes They spoke Mongolian but all you had to do was use closed captions. This was based on a true story. I found NOTHING wrong with this movie. Big credit goes to the director John Wynn. The majority of the cast was Ukrainian & spoke no English. I recommend this movie to everyone.
Definitely Watchable and Then Some
greggfried15 June 2020
I was not expecting much from the reviews and the fact that I had never heard of it before and I was pleasantly surprised. It did have a lot of action and kept a good pace. If I had an option I would rate it at a 7 and a half for being entertaining and for the acting.
8 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An enjoyable movie
Not sure about all the bad reviews as I feel they are very harsh. I would check out this film yourself. I am a 41 yr old female who just loves her movies. I really enjoyed this one from start till the end. I paused the film when I went out of the room as didn't want to miss anything. Would definitely recommend.
11 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This could have been a cool movie.
wrharrington227 June 2020
They blew it. I hate movies that have a lot of foreign language in it and they don't have the sub titles. this was a very nice adventure movie, yet half the time you didn't know what the mongals where saying. Then ofcource near the end of the movie the mongal speaks English.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.