The Rising Hawk (2019) Poster

Ukrainian story
SnoopyStyle14 October 2020
In the 13th century, common folks escape the bloodshed from the Mongol invasion in Kyiv for the safety of the Carpathian Mountains. Maksim (Alex MacNicoll) saves Myroslava (Poppy Drayton) and she convinces her powerful father Tuhar Vovk (Tommy Flanagan) to attend a celebration in Maksim's settlement led by Maksim's father Zakhar Berkut (Robert Patrick). Tuhar looks down upon and distrusts these mountain folk. After an attack, Maksim and his brother rescue many prisoners and in the process, kill the son of Mongol general Burunda Khan. The Khan intends on revenge.

This is an Ukrainian sword and sandal historical drama. MacNicoll has the looks but he does need a bit more charisma to lead. Drayton does have both. It is odd that the story and production is Ukrainian but most of the actors are English westerners. It is what it is. It's a fine B-movie. It's too long at just over two hours. There are sections in the second half which drags. This can't be the highest Khan. Also the action is a little over the top. I do like some of it and that's enough to keep my attention. It's barely passable.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent movie indeed
kosmasp25 March 2021
The poster may or may not be reminiscent of Vikings (as tv show most likely), but try not to get hung up on that. This is a decent movie with some interesting action pieces and really good stunt work. Having one of the SoA cast in this is also quite the plus - add Robert Patrick to the mix and I'd say it looks stellar.

The story may be predictable, but never gets really dull. And while certain scenes may remind you of other movies (one even felt like a scene right out of the Lion King, but with a different more action oriented fighting twist), that doesn't mean you can't have fun with what is in front of you. Pacing wise it works too, it just never got me too excited either
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"...we will make this right."
classicsoncall6 February 2021
Not sure about the title - "The Rising Hawk" - there was nothing in the film to give meaning to that reference. I think I'm in agreement with most reviewers that the story line is fairly formulaic and the acting is adequate at best. For me, the only known commodity was Robert Patrick as clan leader Zakhar, and even though top billed, he didn't carry the picture once his youngest son Maxsim (Alex MacNicoll) was introduced. Which was kind of odd, because even older brother Ivan (Rocky Myers) deferred to his younger sibling in a couple situations. When Ivan let Maxsim fight Tugar Volk's (Tommy Flanagan) warrior to determine if the neighboring villagers would work together or not, it didn't feel right, even if their father nodded his ascent. Turns out the agreement was short lived, as Tugar betrays the Tukhlians, and chooses to join forces with the Mongol invaders instead, while his daughter (Poppy Drayton), smitten with Maxsim, leaves her people to help fend off the Mongol horde. What I'll never understand is how the screenwriters and directors thought it would be a good idea for one man to topple the Sentinel Rock to flood the mountain pass against the Mongols. Petro (Andrey Isaenko) was a hulking brute of a guy and a good citizen of Tukhlia, but come on, really? Otherwise, the battle scenes are adequately staged and the Mongols are sent packing as the Tukhlians decide to fight for their homeland instead of flee, encouraged by the proud voice of Maxsim. It reminded me a little of the movie "Braveheart", but beyond that, there's no comparison.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fairly adequate historic action movie...
paul_haakonsen21 November 2020
I hadn't heard about this 2019 movie titled "The Rising Hawk" from writers Rich Ronat and Yaroslav Voytseshek prior to sitting down now late in 2020 to watch it. So I wasn't sure what I should be expecting from the movie. But I have to admit that I sort of feared that the movie would be another one of those movies that have a really interesting cover/poster and the movie itself turns out to be utter rubbish.

So I am relieved to say that "The Rising Hawk" was actually an entertaining and enjoyable movie. Sure, the movie's plot and storyline was very generic and actually rather predictable. But the movie's action, costumes, props and sets more than made up for the shortcomings in terms of script and storyline.

I enjoyed the cast that were in the movie, with the only familiar faces being Tommy Flanagan and Robert Patrick for me. But I will say that all people on the cast list actually performed quite well. Andrey Isaenko, playing Petro, really had a great on-screen charisma and added something memorable to the movie with his character.

There is a good amount of action throughout the course of the movie, which definitely also helped to bring enjoyment to the movie.

My rating of "The Rising Hawk" is a six out of ten stars. While the movie was entertaining and watchable, I doubt that this is a movie that I will ever watch a second time, because the plot and storyline just didn't have enough contents to it to support more than a single veiwing.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not good.
bombersflyup6 June 2020
The Rising Hawk is formulaic, tiresome, unrewarding and unmemorable.

All of the characterization's thin and dialogue weak, the acting's fine. Other than the brothers not getting into a quarrel over the pretty girl, it's like every other film of its kind. Poppy Drayton has a bit of a Mary McDonnell, Jennifer Connelly sort of look.
28 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A whole lot of nothing
Top_Dawg_Critic6 June 2020
Ugghhh dragged on and on forever with zero reward. Too long, too slow, boring story, terrible screenplay with tons of long dragged out and unnecessary scenes. And the cliches were unbearable. This felt like a 5th grade drama class production. The score was annoying, the directing - especially the fight scenes, were laughable. Medieval Times themed restaurants have more realistic fight scenes. Even the acting was atrocious - which I'm sure the directors are partly to blame for failing to direct their cast. What was Tommy Flanagan thinking getting involved with this flop? And did anyone bother checking the sound? There was an entire scene where all you hear is the horses and their breathing and the dialogue was coming from behind a hill lol. The 2+ ridiculously long runtime felt like I wasted half a day watching this. Who and why did anyone fund this mess? It's a very generous 3/10 from me.
77 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bit touching at certain point, but overall full of boring conversation, and frustrated action scene! Should have done better!
kwenchow28 November 2020
This film start with a mother telling her son to hide, and the mother been taken scene! As turnout, this film is about a leader of the Mongols army "Burunda Khan" need to revenge for the killing of his son by killing Maksim and his villagers! Entire film full of boring conversation, and annoying overuse scene! Such as, overuse or the mountain aerial view scene, overuse of the hammering sword scene, overuse of the riding horse scene, and overuse the disguise scene! Make the film unwatchable! All the action scene have blood at certain point, but overall portray by sideways, messy, and shaky! Make the film quite frustrated to watch! Barely intense scene is, the dam been broken, and flooded the village! At the end, Maksim kill Burunda Khan! Maksim's father "Zakhar" die at the very end! That's it! Another disappointed film!
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Birds of different feather can also flock together
kluseba12 February 2021
The Rising Hawk is an Ukrainian historical action drama that involves an American and an Uzbek director and actresses and actors from England, Ireland, Kazakhstan and numerous other countries. To my very positive surprise, the final result manages to be authentic, coherent and gripping.

The story takes place in the Carpathian Mountains of the thirteenth century. Zakhar Berkut is the leader of a farm village on a mountain. His sons Ivan, who is married and has a son, as well as Maksym, who is still single, are the greatest hunters of their community. Zakhar Berkut wants to convince his arch enemy, wealthy boyar Tuhar Volk, to join a gathering of different communities and sends his sons to negotiate with him. They manage to impress the selfish boyar on a hunting trip as Maksym saves the boyar's rebellious daughter Myroslava and falls in love with her. Tuhar Volk is everything but pleased about that relationship and also expects neighbouring communities to follow his orders rather than cooperating with them. Those fragile relationships are put under further pressure when Mongolian invader Burunda Khan pushes westwards. When the son of the Mongolian general is murdered by Maksym, Burunda Khan is hell-bent on revenge. The different Eastern European communities must cooperate and be willing to sacrifice themselves to fight against their common enemy and for a better tomorrow.

This movie has been marketed as an action film about a Mongolian invasion but the first hour of the movie takes its time to introduce us to the different Eastern European communities, their relations with one another and their most important members. This part of the film can be considered a historical fiction drama. The characters are charismatic, diversified and intriguing. The relationship between brave hunter Maksym and rebellious Myroslava is developed carefully. Tuhar Volk oozes with charisma as sinister leader with significant strengths and weaknesses. The locations are absolutely stunning from ancestral villages over dense forests and wide meadows to snowy mountains.

The second part of the movie quickens up the pace and gets significantly more brutal. Burunda Khan impresses as pitiless but intelligent commander and his ruthless son leaves his mark as a terrifying sadist. Tuhar Volk becomes a key figure in this second part of the movie as he is torn between owing a debt to the Mongolian invader and protecting the rival community that has welcomed his own daughter. The movie ends with epic battle scenes, intriguing conspiracies and numerous deaths on all sides involved in the conflict.

Don't get fooled by the slow pace of the first hour since this historical fiction drama slowly shifts to a brutal action film that leaves a lasting impression. The Rising Hawk proves that birds of different feather can also flock together. It's an excellent example for a compelling international project that has managed to overcome its challenges and produced a diversified movie that entertains from start to finish. The Rising Hawk deserves more critical acclaim and attention. Anyone who cares about historical fiction and action dramas should watch this unexpected blockbuster.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent enough
Abdulxoxo28 February 2021
This is a decent enough movie. The cast is competent and I thought most, if not all the actors looked their part. The scenery and costumes are quite nice. The action were not bad either, there are battle sequences towards the end that were entertaining. The film, however, felt long. The pacing is off especially in the first half. Lots of plotholes and Inconsistencies. The score is good but gets too dramatic. Overall, a decent movie, not great but still worth a watch.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite decent but . . .
pietclausen19 June 2020
This Ukrainian made movie in English has patches of spoken language pronunciation problems which is difficult to apprehend. All the invaders' language has no English subtitles which is a discouraging factor.

The story itself is entertaining and interesting, moving along at a fair pace. Once the invaders arrive, it becomes more exciting with good fighting scenes. The climax raises the overall star rating to a decent 6.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun to Watch
bemyfriend-4018411 July 2021
An all-time classic? Well... not quite. But fun to watch. Interesting characters. Good fighting. The big bald mean Khan gets his. And all of his invading mongrel horde get trashed. Hollywood ending!
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well done, just wasn't in the mood
fluffchop20 April 2021
It seemed like an ok movie. I didn't watch very closely and turned it off after 20 minutes. From what I saw it was fairly typical. Some little village defends itself against certain death. Totally watchable just not in the mood to sit through it.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Falling Hawk
twelve-house-books24 January 2022
Reminiscent of every Dark Ages B-flick ever made from Centurion to Gladiator to King Arthur to Braveheart to Britannia to Troy, and so on. No real substance unless you've never seen Romeo and Juliette or any one of the abovementioned mediocre stories. Lots of bow and arrow fighting, apparently the weapon of choice for the entire world at one time. Fires, vengeance, pretty girls, mean former warriors, and handsome young bucks good with swords and battle-axes.
Decent Movie
januszlvii28 November 2021
The Rising Hawk is not on the level of Northmen A Viking Saga, but it is certainly not Harley Quinn either. It is Mongols versus Slavs with a love story between Maksym and Myroslava ( Poppy. Drayton ( who steals the picture)) thrown in. If you like swordplay and great scenery instead of CGI you will like this movie, if not you will hate it. Spoilers ahead: Do the Slavs win and do Maksym and Myroslava end up together? Of course ( thankfully without the "Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back" or they hate each other in the beginning but fall in love storylines). No they fall for each other when he saves her from a bear ( she returns the favor later), and never stop wanting to be with each other. The biggest problem with the movie is. 1: You have seen the plot before: The hero, and princess or princess type such as Myroslava ( her father is bad guy Boyar Tugar who rules the land invaded by the Mongols) and who is as tough as most men ( while still being feminine) and others against overwhelming odds ( just like Northmen: A Viking Saga). 2: Far too many darkened scenes and poor camera work ( a problem you you never find in need I repeat myself: Northmen: A Viking Saga). I give it 6/10 stars slightly above average.
Decent
elgrampo7728 January 2021
Of course the plot was a bit stereotypic and definitely predictable. But if you like medieval kind of movies without expecting that everything is perfectly historically, you will like it. But the blacksmith has to be the strongest man that ever lived ;-)
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a bad movie,but amateurish in all aspect
WatchAndSmile6 June 2020
They had a lot of good thing going,but it was ruined by horrible shaky camera work, some obvious directing problem, acting issues, at times bad fight scenes( some were good)script issues and so forth. Director and camera people should learn to use the camera for their next flick as it was one of the worst I've seen in many years. With a bit more attention to detail and a bit better cast, it would've rivaled all the Hollywood big production studios. The known actors did a good job,but the rest were less than stellar. Lot's of cliches, as another reviewer said. Questionable stunts. Some reviewers gave it a 10 seem to be "patriotic" and not truthful and the current 7.1 rating is certainly not real,but I can see it settling to 5-6 over time - to what it really deserves.

PS. the best actor in this movie was the swordsmith...
17 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Breath of Fresh Air
Freedom0602866 June 2020
It was wonderful to watch an inspiring movie like this, a tale of courage and perseverance during difficult times, considering all the depressingly negative films coming out in recent years.

Great locations and nice cinematography in this one. And there's nothing vulgar or perverted in this film, so it's suitable for the whole family to see.

There are too few movies like The Rising Hawk coming out nowadays.
6 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie for strong patriot types.
jamalking1515 August 2021
A movie about fighting for your home against those who want to kill you just because your not one of them.

Passives won't understand the movie.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much better than I tought
peter-spengler26 March 2021
A positive surprise. Some very good photography. Sympathetic actors. The good against the bad. Classical story about slavery, love, valor and treachery.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why the harsh and negative reviews
Eiriksterminator30 November 2020
I don't understand all the hate in here. Sure, the plot isn't the best, and some things (mix of American and British accents, obvious plastic surgery on one female character's face) feel a bit out of place, but you got lots of good action, good costumes (one guy said the costumes are bad, I don't know what he's on about), good landscape shots, and the Mongols have fitting Asian actors (the Khan is played by a Mongolian actor, I didn't check what country the others are from), and actually spea Mongolian, which is a huge authenticity plus. Speaking of which, I noticed a few people in here complaining about no subtitles for the Mongolian parts. I don't know which version they watched, the one I watched had subtitles for every single bit of Mongolian dialogue, of which there is actually quite a bit btw, so I can't imagine watching it without subs. Overall, I think this movie was decent. If I have one other minor complaint, it's that it would be nice if a bit more people survived, but oh well.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
13th Century Period Piece: They lost me at the fist-bump
13SecondFilmReviews9 June 2020
I kid you not, five minutes into this turd you see two characters fist-bumping...IN THE 13th F'N CENTURY! I'm assuming the dolt who wrote this garbage just figured that research is for sissies. The dialog sounded exactly like hipsters hanging at a Starbucks. And the actress who played the mother had more plastic surgery done than Wendy Williams which made me at that point whip out my white flag and surrender after only twenty minutes of sitting through this torture.
33 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really enjoyed it
chexsmate25 November 2021
I liked this movie a lot. The story line was good with some historical accuracy. They had to fight for their future, give up everything, something we know nothing about. I thought the love story was a perfect touch. An all around decent movie!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a bad movie, but missing something.
G00fhunter14 July 2020
This movie starts kinda slow and is a little too long for what it is.They salvage the movie towards the end with some good fight scenes if you can watch that long.I feel like for the length of the film they left something out,but not quite sure what.Not the best movie but it's something to watch.
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheesy cheap movie
kububeach11 September 2021
I don't know why they even tried to make this movie. If you want to do this type of movie, go big or don't do it. The storyline is unrealistic, the fight coreography was just abysmal. And don't start with the acting.

Not sure who rated this movie that high.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Hawk needs to Rise a bit Higher
fmatt993 September 2021
This "killemall" tale of savagery, brutality, betrayal and Swordplay is comprised of a cast of actors whose names are generally unpronousable.

That said,Tommy Flanagan of the Sons of Anarchy and Robert Patrick of Terminator 2 and everything else attempt to give American audiences a reason to sit through this of Mongols and Slovaks, I guess that's who they are.

The photography is great. The editing is well done. Director John Wynn and Akhtem Seitablaev hold this diverse Russian and Asian cast together. But the story is just not very interesting.

Again another film that is best viewed at home when you have watched everything else.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.