Range Runners (2019) Poster

(2019)

Underrated directorial debut gem
hello-733389 September 2020
Despite some occasional wooden acting performances by supporting role actors, this directorial debut from Highland Park-based Philip S. Plowden is strong mostly thanks to a stunning performance by actress Celeste Cooper as Mel. Cooper plays a black woman endurance athlete who is forced to fight and eventually kill for survival when her long distance trail run takes a deadly twist following an encounter with two hapless ex convicts in a convoluted plot involving a county lines drug deal gone wrong.

Perhaps the most interesting plot device are the flashbacks to a young girl training on the track and being pushed to her limits by an ex marine coach who's ashes are eventually scattered in the present time woods mirroring the same scattering of the drug dealers' cocaine that ultimately takes the story to a darker place.

This movie is not horror, thriller nor comedy but fuses elements of all these genres to produce a compelling and intelligent script which is as credible as it is incredible. Expect great things to come from Cooper and Plowden hopefully in future collaborations. A jarring underlying dramatic score keeps the tension building as various scenarios are played out in downstate Carbondale woodland locations including the Shawnee National Forest providing a sufficiently eerie backdrop to a farcical ending.
15 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't Waste Your Time
elapalermo15 September 2020
I couldn't even finish this movie, the acting was so bad. Plot was all over the place and story line was so clunky. Not worth watching.
14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow and nothing much to write home about
omendata9 September 2020
Acting is fine , has potential for a good story but it just felt laboured and soon became a bit of a repetitive borefest.

The bad guy was not bad enough, dialogue was a bit wishy washy and the action was not great but I did enjoy the disembowelling scene; it was the best part of the whole thing which does not say a lot.

Average 5/10 and that is being generous!
12 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie kept me very intrigued..
jeanettecolon12 September 2020
The movie had a great storyline. I had no problem just watching the movie because of how interesting it was The main actress killed it. She really knew what she was doing she definitely acts better then most actresses. The other actors did great too.
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Grandson and I both unimpresssed
DeborahOBrien727 September 2020
I wanted this movie with my grandson who loves these types of films and he was not impressed. I truly dont like to give negative reviews, but this just didn't do it for either of us. The female lead was pretty good, but the writing was not very good. We were both disappointed and expected it to be better.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stop before you watch
Loveoffilm730 September 2020
This film was slow and jumbled. The story did not make sense. There were some incomprehensible flash backs and the bad guys were laughable. The lead actress was ok, cinematography was so so, but the story and direction was like a maze that took you nowhere.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pick a different movie
CertifiedMovieCritic1224 September 2020
Was honestly so boring I had to turn it off. The story line was very dry and boring...hard to watch or get into.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Direction and acting is no good
Videokilledtheradio1622 September 2020
Directing, acting and plot well below par. Not movie theater or even at home viewing worthy.sorry I had to pay for it.
Go Celeste Go!!!
sluskin17 September 2020
A movie should pull you in and keep you wondering. The suspense is very effective, and you will enjoy this movie, pondering how you would fare in the same situation. Highly recommended and great directorial debut for Phil Plowden!

I question if the extremely negative reviewers even watched this movie. Download this movie, live your life, and enjoy some talent.
Loved the Suspense!!!
eperkins-7836117 September 2020
This movie was exciting, thrilling and I loved the acting!!!!
Inspiring story
acstunts17 September 2020
Excellent acting and great story! The story takes you on a journey with several twists and turns along the way. Check it out
Above the norm
BandSAboutMovies6 September 2020
We've all seen our share of female-centric survival thrillers, but this feature film debut by TV and film location managers Philip S. Plowden and Devon Colwell (Chicago P.D. and Jupiter Ascending), working as co-writers and directors, don't allow their story to degrade into (the usual) supernatural subplots; they instead chose to focus on drama and character development over the usual ultra-violence we are normally subjected to in the female-survival genre.

Actress Celeste M. Cooper-who met the writing-directing duo as a recurring background actor on the set of Chicago P.D.-is Mel, a tough-as-nails long-distance runner taught by her father to endure pain and exist outside of her body's physical limits. While setting a goal for herself to conquer an infamous 2,000-mile hiking trail, she puts the lessons of her father (coaching her via flashbacks) to the test when two desperate men (Sean Patrick Leonard and Michael B. Woods; both Chicago P.D. and Chicago Med acting alum) descend her into a life of terror.

The day and night outdoor photography on this by Darryl Miller (Chicago P.D., natch) is crisp and sharp; in conjunction with its tight script and pacing from Plowden and Colwell, Range Runners rises above the usual VOD streaming and Lifetime damsel-of-the-weekend product. The acting in this is superb and assures we will see more from Cooper, Leonard, and Woods on the small and big screen.
9 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!
paulburgess-2675317 September 2020
Very gripping and suspenseful! I really enjoyed the plot and it is something a bit different than most movies out there. If you like a good suspense thriller you should check this movie out!
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
JUST AWFUL
Movielady13522 September 2020
I honestly cannot believe that someone came up with this. Felt very generic like it was written by a child. Very poor writing and direction. Very predictable and hard to sit through.
8 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dragging and not worth the time
Moviephone10121 September 2020
This was truly boring. 2 hours of a storyline that makes no sense. The acting was poor, cinematography was okay, direction was weak. The villain's dialect changes on a whim. The flashbacks are peculiar and don't make sense. I fell asleep before the credits rolled.
8 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
H O R R I B L E!!!
babinefertiti12 September 2020
I have a few other choice words but that pretty much sums it up! Plot predictable and stupid acting was below subpar! But mainly the horrible storyline is what did it. The movie just made zero sense and I only finished watching to talk about how dumb it was plus there was nothing else on!
10 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should be titles Common sense Runners
pooch-in-aus29 December 2020
This movie had me saying "why the f would you do that" about 100 times. Bad script, horrible acting and no common sense. Nothing about this film could even be considered partially realistic. The decisions made by all parties are stupid and void of all logic. The writing is very bad.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Insulted my intelligence!
essencemylyfe19 December 2020
When the main character a seemingly intelligent black girl all by herself gladly handed over her knife to a total stranger, a big white dude who is with another white guy in the middle of the woods, I completely lost interest! That's not to say that she'd hand over her knife to a big black dude either but come on!!!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thrilling!
eastonw-8288114 September 2020
Great survival suspense! Brutal violence. Slow burner but wow once it gets rolling, hold on to your hats. Thrillers don't often give you time to connect to a main character. This one does. Celeste M. Cooper who plays the lead is a star in the making and her performance is a standout.
7 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Advice is not to waste your time
Marco_From_Tropoja9 September 2020
Nothing really to recommend here at all really. There is a cliched flashback story which is told in parallel to the main plot which is boring, superfluous and annoying. The main story has been seen many times before and was pretty clunky. The acting didn't impress either. I'd give it a miss.
10 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie that kept me wanting more!
mikelauren1 October 2020
This is a great film that made my Friday night! Its a fun watch.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sequel PLEASE!
shrinkflyer30 September 2020
What more could this heroine do? She has it all: grit, dedication, perseverance, guts, resolve-gosh-just loved the character and the director must have eked all of these qualities out of this talented and energetic actress. The creepy quiet guy, the benevolent yet demanding dad, the beautiful scenery, and unstoppable action-I loved it! Make more, please!
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Natural Born Thriller
llquilico22 September 2020
I thoroughly enjoyed this action packed thriller featuring Celeste Cooper, directed by newcomer Philip Plowden. Celeste showed some acting chops as Mel, the cross country runner, who seeks solitude on an isolated hiking trail. Along the way, she encounters some nefarious characters who steal her only means of survival (her backpack). She decides to fight back in an attempt to regain her belongings. The setting is absolutely gorgeous and as director, Mr. Plowden masterfully immerses us in this breathtaking environment while taking us on a roller coaster ride of emotions. I would highly recommend this film to anyone who loves solid acting performances and nature.
A RECOMMEND MOVIE
anaquilico22 September 2020
The movie was beautifully directed by Philip Plowden and location was beautiful. The storyline was constantly developing from Mels point view, and why she is who she is. The action in this movie was very good and packed with a rush of excitement. Highly recommend watching this movie!
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant new Indie film!
splowden-2326917 September 2020
Range Runners is a brilliant thriller full of suspense, anguish, anger and triumph! The multi dimensional characters are beautifully crafted. Celeste M. Cooper is a magnificent "Mel." We feel everything that she feels, we sigh when she sigs, cry when she cries. We feel her anguish, her anger and know her unrelenting drive to overcome all obstacles. "Wayland" (Sean Patrick Leonard) is unspeakably evil. "Jared" (Michael B. Woods) is unspeakably weak. The chemistry between the three of them is terrific. Cinematography, stunts, screen writing,and especially directing all receive my loud applause. Congratulations to all the cast and crew. Keep an eye on these filmmakers from Fatal Funnel Films....they surely have a promising future!