Last Summer (2018) Poster

(I) (2018)

Heartbreaking Story Done It Right
mccollum2615 June 2019
The poster gave me the impression this maybe the UK version of "Stand by me", but it was nothing like it except for the story evolves around 4 boys. Davy(Noa Thomas) spends his summer days with his brother Iwan(Gruffydd Weston) and best friends, Rhys(Rowan Jones) and Robbie(Christopher Benning).

Then they witness a tragedy between Rhys and Robbie's parents. Their much older brother Kev(Steffan Cennydd) finds out the reason behind it and try to revenge a neighbor named Dai(Richard Harrington) for it while the family is falling apart.

Sensitive Davy refuses to accept the sudden change in his best friends circumstance and tries to correct it by himself. But he's too young to fully understand the situation and to powerless to do anything about it.

Growing up in a loveless household myself, I understand the parents as well as the kids what they want and why they want it. The movie climaxes when Davy confronts in hopes of turning back things the way it was, but it ends very realistic way without any tragedy. I love this movie exactly for it because life is like that.

The cinematography is beautiful and the acting is pretty solid from mostly unknown actors. Wish to see them more in the future. This is a heartbreaking story without any good or evil, because that's what we are like.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just gobsmacking!
CabbageCustard30 August 2019
I am not going to ruin the impact or lessen anyone's enjoyment of this remarkable movie by giving any of the plot away. Suffice to say, this did not turn out to be the movie I thought I was going to see when I started watching it. Like some of the other reviewers here, I thought this would be a sort of ersatz 'Stand By Me', only done from a Welsh stand point. And for the first ten minutes, it looked like this movie would be exactly that before it suddenly veered off in a totally different and altogether unexpected direction. Raw and visceral, this movie is not what you would call family entertainment despite the main characters being 4 teenage boys. I read that the four boys were newcomers to acting when they made this movie and that is remarkable because they do an excellent job. They are all good, but in particular young Noa Thomas who plays Davy, the central character, shines. So much of what happens in the movie is seen through his eyes and he gives an intelligent, believable, totally sympathetic performance. Throughout the movie, his motivations are an enigma and the viewer is left to wonder if he is a hindrence or a help, a comforter or a antagonist to those around him, but at the end his motives are revealed and it touches all of us.

I don't know if you would call this a coming-of-age movie in the sense that we're used to, although there is no doubt all the characters are changed by the end. I can say though that this is a very good film and I'm looking forward to watching it again soon.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Film
joneswb-1797617 October 2019
Great film, strongly advise buying it. I would use it as a time capsule because it perfectly en-captures what it was like back then. Get it now
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartbreaking story done it right
mccollum263 June 2019

Then they witness Rhys and Robbie's father shoot their mom and kills himself. Their much older brother Kev(Steffan Cennydd) finds out their mom was gonna leave the family for a neighbor named Dai(Richard Harrington). Kev blames Dai for his mom leaving dad and goes after him to revenge while 2 younger brothers are sent to a foster home.

Sensitive Davy refuses to accept his best friends sudden depart and tries to correct it by himself. He wants to bring back his best friends home and takes care of their dog, Rex. But he's too young to fully understand the situation and to powerless to do anything about it.

Growing up in a loveless household myself, I understand the parents as well as the kids what they want and why they want it. The movie climaxes when Davy confronts Dai in hopes of turning back things the way it was, but it ends very realistic way without any tragedy. I love this movie exactly for it because life is like that.

1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This film was beautiful.
IWasRaisedByTV27 October 2019
As a child of the 70s, the plight of the Morris boys is spot on. When tragedy occurred, the powers that be took over. Children's feelings were second thoughts. The prime directive was to get them in a "safe place" and move on ASAP.

If you have any empathy at all, watching the Morrises lose it all as the Davies boys deal with their own trauma is heartbreaking. The actors portraying these young men are absolutely honest and real. I cannot wait to see where these artists end up in the future because they are talented, soulful actors.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Brilliant...
drhersh19 June 2019
Better than 98% of movies you will ever see coming out of Hollywood.. A story of great wisdom from the mind of a child. Perfect acting all round, gorgeous cinematography, intelligent writing, masterful direction. What more could you want in a movie.
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Breath taking.
hannibal-it782 June 2019
This is a realy strong movie. Strong start, tense continuation. The actors are authentic, especially Noa Thomas who is kinda center. We will see the story through his point of view.

Tragedy strike, some lost there parents. The adult world threathen to destroy what's left between friends and brothers. Davy Davies (Noa Thomas) is who is not giving up, and fight to the last just to keep everything together. Still, in every tragedy, in every hard time, boys can be- will be always boys, and can find the joy what can start the healing of their soul.

Heartbraking, breathtaking, it's a call for your soul. The film is not without faults but you can easily forget if you let the movie carry away. The landscape is beautiful The music is give a good backround, accompanies the story well. A true classic coming of age story.

I can recommend for everyone who is looking after whats not a usual blockbusster, and who like to see something authentic.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderfully Done
joedoherty-4239930 August 2019
It was an entertaining and wonderful movie about friendship and childhood and how adults who behave like children can mess it up. Highly recommend it.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been made better but a decent movie
codyarnold-1973326 July 2019
I guess in England CPS don't play around. Hours after the boys father kills their mom then tries to kill them then kills himself they come take them. No questioning by the cops or other parents about what happened. Like I said its an ok movie but could have been made better.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.