Primal (2019) Poster

(2019)

Enjoyable guilty pleasure
vincentboudreau9 November 2019
Not so bad. An enjoyable B movie ride.

I am a fan of both Cage and Durand. I think they both enjoyed acting in this movie. It shows. And Famke Janssen does show good chemistry with Cage while not having not much to do. But she does stand in all of her scenes.

I found myself smiling most of the time.

Just a bunch of good actors in a not so bad story enjoying each other. This is not Oscar stuff of course. But, hey, nobody was looking for high standards here.

Fun.
23 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Famke Jensens face job
davidsmejladress9 November 2019
All you think of is Famke Jensens face job. Her face is like a porcelain mask. It just looks weird. She's not ugly, just... stiff. The movie itself isn't that bad if you like action movies from the 90's. Predictable from start til stop. The CGI animals are ok for this budget. You won't watch this movie twice I promise you that.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nicolas Cage vs the Uncaged
TwistedContent8 November 2019
Nicolas Cage never fails to entertain & nowadays it's quite easy to set the expectations for his newest pieces just right to get the max out of it. "Primal" is obviously flawed and sometimes quite silly, but it's all good and light fun that sets our beloved Nic Cage versus the uncaged.

"Primal" starts off in the jungle, introduces Frank Walsh as the thick-skinned, smart-mouthed, secretly-actually-a-good-guy hunter who's on a mission of getting his freshest catches (including a vicious one of a kind jaguar) shipped to the American zoos. In other words, characteristically, it's the type of character Cage enjoys and we enjoy it just as much, if not more. So, everybody gets on the ship, including and armada with a big-time prisoner & all goes to hell in two days, making Cage take up a fight against the uncaged, which happen to be both animals and the main villain. The story's pretty straigtforward, but moves at a steady pace, at times barely, but managing to not cross the line of boredom. Among those parts there's some classic type of action sequences, some creature feature thrills & a little bit of healthy Nic Cage comedy. Most of the characters are, well, cliche & sometimes some of them do stupid things, but the quantity of the expendable characters compensates. Acting's either decent or okay-ish, besides Cage the next best thing was Kevin Durand as the villain. I'm happy to say that visually "Primal" was a bit better than I was expecting from another VOD, the cinematography's very standard, but decent & the fx were quite solid. The soundtrack & original score was lacking and barely noticeable.

All in all it's undeniable that without Nic Cage "Primal" would be an even lesser movie, because if there's one thing I might remember from this flick is him and his line "I got a real nice cage for you". While the movie itself is very average, I do recommend it strongly for all the Cage fans out there. My rating: 5/10.
21 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A ridiculously fun action packed spectacle that transports you back to the 90s glory days of the genre.
JF5005 November 2019
Now bear in mind the film is absolutely outrageous and messy at times, but overall it's executed in a fashion that takes me back to the good old days of insane action with dangerous animals running amuck wreaking havoc. As far as I'm concerned there's no better option than one of the most intensely wacky actors for the last 30 years in Nicolas Cage to front this film. We all know that he is in about 20 movies a year and that maybe one out of those 20 or even watchable because they're usually low budget VOD drivel but the man does always bring some sense of excitement to his roles. Primal is a prime example of cage returning to his 1990s action roots . The film has its many clichés but it also has some decent character intrigue and a pretty interesting setting on this ship With certain circumstances. It moves pretty consistently with bits and pieces of intensity and decent creature feature type thrills . The plot is pretty straightforward and doesn't exactly blow you away but for what it is it works . Some of the CGI is pretty shoddy but for the low budget I can let it pass. It's definitely a worthy watch for action aficionados and anyone that wants to sink their teeth into a film that belongs to the 90s glory days of the genre.
36 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nic Cage strikes again in a white henley tshirt n with a white jag.
Fella_shibby10 November 2019
The film starts with our Nic sitting on a tree house in a forest reading a magazine about real estate, his belly protruding, a cigar in hand n an Indiana Jones hat. This time he is a hunter who captures animals to sell it to the zoos. Contrary to a zoo's demand of a black jaguar, our Cage manages to capture a rare white jag, which locals call it a man eater demon. The ship he has boarded with his animals, has another dangerous animal, a psychopath criminal. So like Con Air, this time too our Nick will take on the criminal after all the tough military personnel r killed. This film has a vicious monkey attack scene (the description of which is given by Nic to a young boy about how the mother monkey tears off the skin with her teeth n rip the flesh right off the bones of anyone coming close to the baby monkey). It has a snake attack scene n two deadly jaguar attacks. The gun shot scenes r brutal n the film moves at a decent pace.

A lot has been cavilled about the face of Famke Janssen. Fellas don't realise that females above 50 has to deal with a lottuva auto immune disorders which can cause facial puffiness. Even the medication (corticosteroids) causes disorders.

Of course she has done the face lift to ward off the double chin but she has maintained her weight.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
only for Nicolas Cage fans
mov13junk138 November 2019
I watched this movie because of Nicolas Cage and Famke Janssen, nevertheless its a lowbudget movie and it shows, average cinematography and some average VFX. Kevin Durand as a villian is okay but overall i have seen much better performances of all the actors in other productions. The plot is very thin, but thats not really the movies problem, just the execution and whole pacing doesnt feel right. If you really need to watch a movie that plays on a boat with some lurking threat i highly suggest "Deep Rising" from 1998, its without Cage but with Janssen, much better pacing and much more entertaining to watch.
23 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
one gets nicked into the cage
ops-525358 November 2019
In this film, a jungle story moved inside the belly of a freighting sjip, a sweedish one i think, and the maze of action a boosted by having an caged assassin onboard at a secret transfer for cia/fbi..... and everything goes ka-boom when man animal and machine are let loose in a primeal fight to survive..

if you like nonstop action movies from the 80's and 90's youre on the right track actually, the grumpy old man though fell asleep on the couch near the end. its not a bore therefore a recommend, just a weak 6.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not good at all
turun228 November 2019
One of the worst movies that I have seen lately, how can anyone give this movie 6,7 or more stars rating🤔.... And wtf happen to Famke Janssen face..😳
15 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Made for 2am tv
TheStarCafeROCKS9 November 2019
2 actors way past their prime, a bad guy who is ridiculously hard to kill, this is one to fall asleep too at best. The first 15 mins has nice scenery and drone footage, however, from there, its a cheap affair, filmed in the one warehouse to save money.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst movie
kumar_delish10 November 2019
Watch this movie only for Nicolas cage.plot is very bad I don't like this movie it's my personal opinion if u like enjoy the movie, I wasted my time to watch these.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie we din't need
mavigloomy11 November 2019
Frank is a animal trafficker, he comes to Brasil to capture a rare feline and other animals. Local people speak Spanish (in Brasil we speak PORTUGUESE) they are very passive except one guy that refuse to drive for Frank. And a big coincidence happens, he is in the same ship as ''one very dangerous prisoner, captured by a lot of great agents'' another cliché. The rest of the movie they try to capture that prisoner. Boring movie, with a lot of bad stereotypes. Nicolas Cage and Famke Janssen could have chosen a better movie. One good thing on this movie that I have to mention: The music Arraial do Pavulagem - Cachoeira Prateada
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad freight!
wjosephjorob8 November 2019
A dumb reach thriller with a T.V. movie plot, but you don't watch these type movies for the plot, a hunter with a chip on his shoulder strikes it rich with a rare type of jungle cat, decides to ship his capture animals on the freight ship, but another type of animal is boarding the ship as well, and it is being guarded by federal agents in a cage just like the jungle creatures, the animal is a internationally wanted assassin,who is another douche bag with a chip on his shoulder as well, everything goes sideways when he escapes on the ship and lets the animals loose too, the movie turns into a thriller with some decent action scenes and funny dialog between Cage and the killer, The hunter now has to capture more than his animals and a few innocent people lives are at stake , not a bad film if you got spare time to watch this, I would rather not see Nic Cage exploit himself doing these releases almost every month as of lately. ,
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Face off
florensnet9 November 2019
Thrilling. Kevin Durand, the crazy bad guy, looks like Nicolas Cage
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nick the Hunter v Predators
pkdyer65198 November 2019
Best Cage flick this year, you've got to laugh at times with this film but it's very entertaining. Nicks animals get let out by a NSA Pyscho on a ship and all hell breaks loose. Strangest CGI Jaguar I've seen, Maccaw steals the show with its one liners. Decent enough performances by the main cast makes this a good action flick.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Primal is a surprisingly solid VOD action/thriller fare, with Cage/Durand at their best in awhile with a great premise.
tresm879 November 2019
7.8/10 Cage is in a LOT of films and is usually giving his standard insane brilliance to his roles which keeps fans watching. Now not all of these usually VOD Cage films are always executed well/serviceably in production/direction/writing which isn't surprising. This film is for the most part a well paced intense solid action film that utilizes Cage well as the protagonist with a very interesting setting and set of supporting characters. Aside from some cheesy yet passable dialogue/cgi, I found myself enjoying this and being reminded of action films of the past that don't seem to be prominent anymore that had gusto, brutality, and overall ballistic ridiculousness. It's a fun action that feels straight out of 1995 and finding out that it was actually written then makes perfect sense. Don't believe the typical low ratings by people who haven't even seen the film and bad VOD stereotypical reviews given by uptight "critics". This is easily the best Cage film I've seen in awhile, and honestly a fine action film.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why all the hate on Nick Cage
prendj0110 November 2019
This movie is a fun romp, sure it harks back to late 80 and 90's action drama thrillers. That said everyone can act, there are a few surprises during an action packed thrill ride and the ending ties lots of things up nicely. Some good dialog from cage and other leads helps. The white and black hats never behave cartoonishly, and most of the script is within acceptable bounds of plausible belief. I enjoyed it and I think most others would not feel robbed of time if they watched it. Some of the strategically critical information transmitted over open mic in the script was annoying but not impossible to overlook given the rest of the film was basically very enjoyable. There other reviews where people knock Nicholas Cage's acting in this, but honestly there just on the hater bandwagon. They have clearly dismissed the film based on the fact he's in it rather than taking it on it's own merits. After all it's not just Nicholas Cage in the film, the black hat is excellent at playing the nasty ruthless cunning and relentless villain. Heck, Cage knows he is not going up for an Oscar for this but he never fails to turn in polished performances regardless. In my book he's fun to watch and that's enough but even without Cage I kinda feel this would have hung together. My take on Cage is that he likes to do stuff he will find fun and if you don't go in expecting a blockbuster every time you watch a film, then this has plenty to offer for the average viewer.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nic Cage is wooden and Famke Janssen looks like she's made of plastic.
davidgollop11 November 2019
Good God even for a guy that bangs out 6 movies a year Nic Cage Movie this sucksNic Cage is wooden and Famke Janssen looks like she's made of plastic. Sweet jesus where to begain?? The plot is snakes on a plane and conair but on a jaguar, monkeys and a couple of snakes. Honestly save 1 hour 37 minutes of your life and watch a sunset or paint a picture.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nick, Nick, Nick
iix-314229 November 2019
I think he is not even trying anymore. It feels like he is waiting for Quentin Tarantino to revive his career. 2 actors collecting a paycheck. Kevin Durant going "Look guys, I am in a movie.". I submit that if you took 2 young and coming actors you could have had more budget for a better director, set, SFX and make a better overall movie. I am not going to rate this movie as it is what it is. It's just content for one of the new steaming platforms coming up. It's like the crap that you will never watch on Netflix but is there to boost numbers of available titles to be used as a sales pitch to lure in potential customers/ subscribers.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty awful
vladimir_tsalyuk11 November 2019
So the faults here are many. Action scenes are boring. All the characters have no lines except for nick cage. Femke Jensen shouldn't be allowed in movies looking like that unless she wants to put on a big red nose and be a clown. I say they either have cage do really funny stuff from now on. Remember towards the end of the wicker man he was randomely punching females in the face, that was hilarious. When it gets boring just have him do that. Or they can turn him into a kung foo fighter and if the movie is gonna be extremely boring as they all are with him at least wel see some fighting. So either comedy or kung foo would help. And next time hopefully the female wont be so hideous. Jensen was ugly before the botox but this? WOW
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not A Bad movie
multiguncollector12 November 2019
Not a terrible movie.Good fight scenes and good CGI for a low budget movie.Nick cage plays his part and other acting isn't bad.Plot really leaves something to be desired and at times makes no sense.Just a fun movie to watch if you can get past a fake face or two.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of time
kyragd200911 November 2019
As a fan of Nicholas Cage, I tried to watch this movie. Plot isn't good. Visual effects are just terrible. I could tolerate to watch max 15 minutes and it was a waste of time
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Acting from Nicolas Cage
North2000K12 November 2019
Movie its not bad, Acting from Nicolas is high performance. But its a low budget movie with poor visual effect and poor director. This movie needs a better rating over 5.5 only for performance of Nick Cage.

Anyway, Cage still a underrated Actor, but i want for everyone still to appreciate his work correctly.

Rating 6/10..
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Action thrilling
mudaun9 November 2019
The movie had great start with all the background that is required and ascended to a way broader perspective
6 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The new Joker
nizarall9 November 2019
Sorry but this sounds totally stupid, I think it's time for Nicolas to get retired, he became a joke on all over the social media. He used to be a good actor, really I feel pity for him. PS : I rated 1 because I ain't find neither 0 nor -1 or even -10 yet.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Does not matter if any good
BBogus8 November 2019
Famke Janssen is in it. All you need to know to avoid it as the plague.
16 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.