Miniature Wargaming the Movie (2020) Poster

Excellent and fresh approach
matches-8680717 October 2018
A beautifully shot movie, with real human stories revolving around the world of miniature wargaming. A great blend of the history, development, manufacturing and game playing involved with the hobby, interspersed with the every day life (and very real struggles) of four ordinary people involved in different ways with Wargaming. Very moving and engaging - I watched the movie with non-hobbiest friends and they were hooked virtually from the start. A different approach, yes, but still a fantastic effort for a first time Director.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unusual approach
keithmassey12 October 2018
I agree entirely with the views expressed by jibbahabba-40832 which I think is a fair and accurate review.

I didn't have any preconceptions about the film, but was surprised by what I saw. I found it quite moving in parts and thoroughly absorbing.

I feel the way the individual stories were handled agains the backdrop of the big hitters in the hobby was handled with skill and sensitivity.

In my humble opinion it was a very professional job and well worth the wait. It also opened my eyes to all the hard work Joe and the team put in to bring it to fruition.

I would have preferred more "eye candy", with perhaps a little more coverage of the gaming aspect of the hobby, but I agree the film would have probably been a lot longer as a consequence.

It was in my view an unusual approach, but well done.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well done and very personal view of miniature wargaming.
bshrode-659414 December 2018
I was excited to back this on the first go round. I've also been able to message and talk to the director several times throughout the process through email. This movie is very well done. I was expecting interviews that would be important to me and gamers, but little for "regulars". Instead we got a very nice personal, human story that was his view all along. I was very pleased with the film. Great insights. My only complaint was not being able to see the full interviews.....but that will hopefully be added soon! (Wargaming Stories...cannot wait). I have been privileged to make money from gaming during my life, for over 15 years. Many of those interviewed I have met, worked with or just know from conventions, etc. I know how passionate they and wargames can be on this topic, and this film helps bring that out.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very well done, different and engaging
dltbgyd5 December 2018
I was pleasantly surprised, a documentary that didn't bore me to tears! A different approach that has some lovely visuals. It's a "warts and all" movie that follows the story of four individuals and their different experiences - up and down - all linked with the wargaming hobby/Industry. I enjoyed it, and I'm a little bemused by some of the negative reviews as I found the movie to be informative without going down the route of being a "rivet counters" manual. Overall a great effort.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved the movie and the history.
vikkisbrown5 December 2018
I really enjoyed this movie, the only thing I knew about miniature war gaming before watching this, was that my son plays it and enjoys painting the figures. It was nice to learn abit about the history as I did not realise it went back so far, I enjoyed watching the movie and found the stories of the main characters very interesting and moving, I also thought the camera work was great and really kept me interested, as a whole I would definitely recommend this movie, especially to other parents who have no clue about miniature war gaming and there kids/young adults play the game, so that they too can gain some insider information to talk about with there kids.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film for everyone!
gingerpickle11 December 2018
I thought Minature War gaming the Movie was really interesting ,as someone who doesn't know a lot about the hobby I thought it gave a concise history and explanation of minature wargaming .The production and direction was really clever as you felt so connected to the subjects of the film, which helped you understand why so many people invest such time and money in to minature wargaming. For me it felt like a socially insightful film based around miniature wargaming which I thought was fantastic, after all it is a movie!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An entertaining watch.
rrushtontaylor14 December 2018
An excellent documentary. Very well done.

The stories are compelling and the historical section is very informative. I loved the use of animation in the film. Watching as someone who doesn't know a lot about wargaming I really enjoyed the film.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great documentary!
niruntreejackson26 January 2019
Didn't really know what to expect but found the documentary interesting, entertaining and quite captivating. Great job!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.