Black and Blue (2019) Poster

(I) (2019)

To some bad reviewers!
onggiachay_max25 October 2019
Ok let's get this straight. The movie is pretty good to me. Some "American traditional" social problems are depicted strongly and its script is great also. I am not a drama person but I feel that it is a bit weird when most of bad reviews are made just because the content points out some cops are bad?! Really guys, isn't that not true? Guys, bad people are everywhere, they can be teachers, doctors and of course they can be cops. It's absolutely logical and makes sense. No matter if you are a real patriot or not, you can't deny this fact. It would be silly to rate the whole performance 1 star just because you don't accept this truth. Please don't be rude and make your reviews fairly so this website can bring its true value to everyone. To those who don't see the movie yet, there is nothing wrong with it, just spend some bucks buying tickets yourself, your sweetheart and families and enjoy the movie. I promise everything's gonna fine! Don't put your trust on haters!
281 out of 403 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gripping and suspenseful!
skullcrushergurl25 October 2019
I have NO idea where these bad reviews are coming from. The movie was just released today! Anyway the story was gripping. It does touch on where identity and being a cop intersect but at the end of the day right is right and wrong is wrong no matter who you are. The acting (especially by Naomi Harris and Tyrese) is phenomenal. Very suspenseful and action packed.
178 out of 264 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent thriller with sufficient tension n action.
Fella_shibby31 December 2019
The film is a about a female cop who goes on the run after she witnesses a murder. The plot has been done umpteenth no of times. Cops burning 50 percent of the confiscated drugs n they sell off the remaining 50 thru their dealers n when things get heavy they try to cut loose ends. The best part about this film is Miss Moneypenny's acting. The star cast is decent, we have Frank Grillo n Tyrese Gibson. Grillo must be tired doing the same kinda roles but he is good at it. It was so good to c Gibson aft long time sans Fast n Furious.

Director Deon Taylor gave two good slasher films: 7eventy 5ive n Chain Letter but his Intruder n Traffik weren't good.
72 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Full of Suspense
roman-dadiomoff27 September 2019
This is an excellent movie that exceeded expectations. My wife and I got to go to an advance screening and were expecting a solid 6 but it blew our socks off. Naomie Harris is phenomenal and her character Alicia's backstory is what made this such a good movie. To have grown up on those streets and know the people but to leave and serve in the Army to come back as a cop (presumably after her mother dies after you see her moms tombstone at the very beginning). This story is a great example about how one person can make a difference and that committing a crime is wrong no matter who does it.
128 out of 222 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Character and the Truth Matter
nicoledelancre25 October 2019
I am sitting outside of the theatre and couldn't even wait to get home to see what the early reviews for Black and Blue are so far. I don't understand the low ratings, as I thought this movie was pretty solid. I think the point that race, status, geography, profession, etc. mean nothing when compared to right and wrong and the worth of a person's life came through in the struggle of Naomi Harris' character here. Her statement that she no longer saw any of those things-only the people-and the lengths she took to show she meant what she said was proof to that point. I for one thought this movie was great-and even if it doesn't change much right now, it's a start!
85 out of 149 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Haters gonna hate
jmdillehay2 November 2019
Solid movie. It was very tense and entertaining. I get the feeling that the super low ratings are from people that hate the message. I mean seriously...a 1/10? Thats silly. I guess the low rating people are either unaware or turn a blind eye to police brutality and corruption. Do a little research and you will find that the NOPD has a long history of corruption. I rate it a 7/10 based on the movie outside of the message. I would not be surprised if the same people that hated black and blue loved training day because the lead is a corrupt cop black man. This is not a bad film at all.
53 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disregard the super low reviews! Not fair...
xomlaodong26 October 2019
I didn't know why this movie had a low review. Went to watch it then thought, "Ohhh, now I see why." The low reviews probably come biased with the bad publicity for law enforcement lately. This movie portrayed some issues that happen to relate to law enforcement but sticks to its own plot for the sake of its own ENTERTAINMENT VALUE instead of political statement.

Good cast. Good acting. Suspenseful. More substance than Gemini Man. Straight up linear movie without offensive hidden agendas. The movie definitely deserves more praise. Come on, people!
73 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as the rating
ayojerkinskarega25 October 2019
Very interesting narrative about police and race relations; but because of how the movie was executed, it falls short. Ok writing, acting, and plot. The main character, Alicia West played by Naomi Harris, story was pretty good. At times, because of the directing, her acting wasn't believable. Also, because of the spotty development of the secondary characters, it was hard to have any empathy towards them. In contrast, great use of background aka mise-en-scene, to deliver a message to the viewers that are watching. Lastly, I do like the overall message of the film which is that we all are people (especially black people and other people of color) and all we want is to be treated as such.
78 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked it better than the film critics did
TopDawgCritic20 January 2021
Not sure why they nitpicked on this one so hard - maybe they can't stand all the bogus high single-film reviewers, but still, far too many haters as well. I for one enjoyed it. The directing was on point, the screenplay was well put together with excellent pacing for the 108 min runtime. Sure there were a few plot issues and some cliches, but it was still very suspenseful and entertaining. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. Cinematography and score were decent, and the casting and all performances were excellent. It's refreshing to be satisfyingly impressed when going in with low expectations. It's a very deserving 8/10 from me. To see how I review films, or read more of my 1000+ reviews, click on my username.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mostly Black cast Almost Always receive BAD reviews
avirexfreexa27 October 2019
This movie received an applause at the end of it. It was a thrilling ride with some emotional elements. Stellar cast and plot. Some of the cast were from the Emmy award winning Netflix show " Seven Seconds." Black & blue gives a glimpse of what its like to be caught up between both sides of the fence. The fence between morality and survival. Go see this movie you won't be disappointed!
90 out of 182 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Did anyone else find this oddly similar to training day?
justinbigelli25 October 2019
Here's a list of exact scenes from training.

1. Rookie cop gets partnered with a dirty cop. 2. Rookie cop whitenesses dirty cops doing a crime. 3. Rookie cop returns to the bad "ghetto" alone. 4. Rookie cops get thrown into a bath tub and almost gets killed. 5. Bad guys in the ghetto end up helping rookie cop. 6. Dirty cop gets exposed at the end.

And this is only off my memory of training day that I haven't seen in well over 10 years. I'm sure if I was to watch it again I would have been able to list at mother 5 or 6 identical scenes.
57 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Subtle as a brick to the face
pitbullgeek26 October 2019
Starts with a black woman in a hoodie getting stopped while jogging. Confronts white cops with attitude, gets slammed against fence. Turns out to be fully fledged cop with her shield in her pocket. Aannnd that's about as subtle and nuanced as Black and Blue gets.

Even the scene where the cops get coffee later on is ramped up for tension.

Misfire. Could be so much more with a little more finesse on the script editing.
56 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Movie
ciaranmcgreevy198624 October 2019
I enjoyed this movie. It is lightly based on the true memoir of a police officer. The rest of the reviews slamming if don't know the true story behind its creation. Solid 10.
67 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Black and Blue: Topical Premise Buried under Generic Action
kevinthecritic-152004 November 2019
2 out of 5 stars (has some good moments, but is overall bad)

Black and Blue is a frustrating kind of bad movie. It hints at exploring a hot-button topic (police brutality and corruption), but uses that topic as an excuse for repetitive chases and shoot-outs that seal its fate in Redbox machines everywhere. Black and Blue has decent acting and passable production values, but its mishandling of a complex subject matter leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Army vet Alicia West (a solid Naomie Harris) has been a cop for 3 weeks. Outside of her partner Kevin (Reid Scott), the other officers look down upon her optimism, and the low-income inhabitants of the surrounding area only see an untrustworthy police uniform. When Alicia's bodycam catches 3 officers (Frank Grillo, Beau Knapp, and James Moses Black) shooting unarmed men, she sets out to upload the footage at the police station. Now pursued by seemingly every cop in New Orleans, Alicia turns to streetwise friend Mouse (Tyrese Gibson) for help, uncovering a greater conspiracy along the way.

Black and Blue is a generic thriller with hilariously inept villains and a tension-shattering soundtrack. Naomie Harris proves herself ready for more leading roles, but the script is loaded with contradictions, illogical character choices, and bland action that buries any potential commentary and exits your memory once the credits roll. Black and Blue fails as both a fun action movie and a thoughtful drama, muddying up a complex societal problem instead of exploring it. I pray Naomie Harris gets better material in the future and that movies like this be forgotten by all but the Redbox machine. Skip Black and Blue.

Rated R for Violence and Language
78 out of 166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stupid
brucebigelow-108731 January 2020
This actually could have been good if the writing had been better. She had her radio with her the whole time. She could have just said "Yeah, detective whatshisname just shot me and detective whosisface1 and whosisface2 are trying to kill me."
72 out of 156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Color Me Disappointed
matthewssilverhammer3 November 2019
Get Out was the best film of 2017 for many reasons, not least of which was its powerful ending. In a matter of a few seconds, it captures America's struggle between the black and cop communities with immense creative grace and emotional class. Black and Blue does the exact opposite. With no clear point-of-view, it serves to only propagate the deep divisions within our culture, without having anything of nuance to say about it. What the pontificating and insufferable John Q was to the American healthcare system, Black and Blue is to police corruption. When a rookie cop has her body-cam capture corrupt cops killing a drug-dealer, she becomes stuck between the warring factions of the lower-class black community and the police. When the chase begins, the film has an early-90s Saturday matinee feel to it, with some solid thrills and surprises. Unfortunately, that suspense is short-lived, buried under cartoonish villains and even an inability to get the basics of storytelling right. Worse yet, I don't think the words "subtlety" or "subtext" were ever once understood by the filmmakers. Without exaggeration, at least 90% of the dialogue is an incessant diatribe on something we already know: systemic police corruption is bad, and the black community has suffered most from it. If the movie trusted our awareness of this, it could've spent more time on developing its characters and plot. As for the morality of the film, my stance as a highly-privileged white man should be taken with a giant pile of salt. However, the film's biggest problem may be its disinterest in having an opinion. To stay bipartisan, it unintentionally demonizes all sides; it's hard to imagine people from either camp walking away feeling happy. It's a shame because I think there's a good movie to be mined here, but this isn't it.
65 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome
tiawhite7525 October 2019
I read the low reviews & I don't think they saw the movie... The group I went with we ALL enjoyed it! #isaidwhatisaid
53 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty Good, Faster Pace Needed
Johnny_West18 May 2020
Hundreds of movies about police corruption have been made, including Another 48 Hours. Nobody made a big deal about the race issue. I did not care. I remember the Alien Nation TV series had a couple of episodes about corrupt alien cops. It is just a story, and the important thing is whether or not it works.

Frank Grillo plays the main evil, corrupt, psychotic killer detective. He is the leader of the corrupt cops. Grillo is great at being vicious and evil. It is easy to hate his guts.

Grillo's main sidekick is another bad cop, played by Beau Knapp. This guy is not just a cold-blooded killer, but he likes to make nasty remarks all the time. He manages to be a psychotic jerk. Another guy who is easy to hate.

The next bad cop is played by James Moses Black. Black plays the senior police officer who is taking Naomie Harris on patrol. Naomie Harris is a rookie officer with only three weeks on the police force. Black takes a call, and he decides to drive over to help Grillo and Knapp kill three of the guys who sell the stolen drugs / police evidence for them. Black is not meant for this role, because he does not come across as the same level of evil as Grillo and Knapp. Black looks like a nice guy, not a psychopath.

I could see him as a corrupt cop who takes some kind of kickbacks for traffic citations, but not as a full fledged killer cop. They should have had somebody that could act as crazy as Grillo and Knapp.

The last of the bad cop gang is played by Reid Scott, who is another guy that does not fit. Scott does a pretty good job acting as a half-assed corrupt cop who is also a half-assed cop in general. Scott basically takes the tact that he is just a crummy cop in general, and gutless too. That approach works, though I would have liked it better if all four of the bad cops were off the charts evil.

Mike Colter plays a brief role as the main drug dealer. Colter is a great actor, and when he found out who killed his nephew, the writers should have let him kill Grillo. There are a hundred technical police reasons why the ending sucked. Grillo was about to get killed about ten times, and nobody pulled the trigger. I felt like the movie did not deliver the goods.

Naomie Harris did a very good job acting like a rookie cop who had military experience. Her character was interesting. She was tough, and proud, but she could be humble too. Some of her lines could have been better. She spent too much time trying to connect with her old friends, and that slowed the pace down.

Tyrese Gibson did a great job in his supporting role. His character went from no interest in Harris, to getting shot up, in about ten minutes of time with Naomie Harris. I guess if I had the chance to be with Harris, I would be willing to take some bullets too. Gibson was a great friend to Harris, but their relationship was too platonic and sterile. It should have been a lot warmer. At the end of it all, the character of Naomie Harris is almost like some kind of Nun or Saint. She should have been willing to put a cap in the bad guy.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well made
yvjoshi10 October 2019
Watched a pre-release screening. I liked the movie quite a bit. It is well made, talks about challenging issues, keeps moving fast, and overall was a pleasure to watch.
79 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheap garbage
jgonzo2756 November 2019
Worth the cheap Tuesday night ticket but still a horrible, cheaply written and propaganda filled waste of time.
52 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Makes Black Look Bad And Blue Too
boldeboy27 October 2019
All I can say is, white people, black people do not stand out in the projects apartment buildings holding ak's and uzi's... Black Director, black cast, anti black narrative. This makes us look bad. I grew up in the projects. Gary Indiana. I was born in the late 80's. Never have I seen cops and police working together to through text messages to put a hit out. All I'm saying. This movie also makes it look like the police will just jump on anyone's agenda per request and say to heck with everything else. We're gonna go hunt another cop because we were directed to.. This movie was a knock off training day. There are several scenes that just had attempts of being great written all into the narrative. This movie was boring. Predictable. An insult to blacks and cops. I'd wait for it to be on tv or on demand for rental. Save your money.
49 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SMH to the negative reviews.
raymanll9528 October 2019
Stop trying to make the white man look so innocent. If you imagine a cop most of the time you'll view a white man. If you imagine a thug you'll imagine a black man. Nobody in the movie said all cops were dirty and not 1 thug was viewed as innocent. Every bad guy in the movie goes down. The movie just shows a rookie cop exposing dirty cops. It's a good movie. Just a few predictable scenes.
31 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If only writers could write these days.
GirtisHolland31 December 2019
I'm not even going to start on any of the political statements these moving even tries to make, because that could be a college thesis in itself. I going to focus on: The horrible movie with spoilers:

The stupidity of the the entire movie. The entire timeline makes absolutely no sense. It literally crumbles the movie to dust.

Next are quick point outs to stupid things in no particular or linear order; Alley kidnap scene- They see him, but don't see a burning crashed car with dead people and their target yards away walking down the same alley while looking in her direction? -She could've have literally stayed in one spot for a day until real incorruptible authorities searched for a missing cop -Tyrese tells a bum they'll be open soon, she arrives, the police mess with him, and suddenly he's coming home and she's there? What was he cleaning the ghetto liquor store until the AM, well after ABC forces a store to close? (Part of the whole timeline) -she couldn't find a single phone in the world to call IA or a way to send the camera or a file to them -half a dozen cops are shot at the final ho down and she finds a court yard circle with only armed hood guys, and no cops, already formed in a circle to fall out of a window into? -Cops and people were killed and a captain isn't on the scene but behind the desk and magically a certain body cam pops on HER PC(by liquor sore boy knows how to suddenly use police computers to do everything) and she can magically end it all with a quick call when guns are pulled and the scene is chaotic.
  • The original cop car she was in had the corrupt detectives one of a kind Chevelle on the dash cam when the thief tried to steal it (the car was running) and her phone with GPS (it still works when dead) was in said car (all of which couldn't been used to help her case)
-A massive police force doesn't entirely go out SWAT style ALL OF THE SUDDEN for an officer wanted for a murder connection the don't even have a case built up save for some radio calls from a two man detective crew -LASTLY....everyone kept saying triple nine in reference to the detective squad!! 999 is code for officer down. The cops and the thugs called the detectives 999 because the writer was too stupid to research the radio code and heard it in another movie.

Again, the political bs in this movie isn't even worth meantioning.
53 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
black and blue
marmar-6978028 October 2019
It has similar style to training day but its not even close to be so good also i dont think this type of films are for this time we live now
48 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Negative review.
lazorlamon31 October 2019
I just got back from this. The narrative was ok, I understand what they were going for, but as a fan of cinema and dialogue, this movie didn't do much for me. The dialogue was clunky and the lead actress was good in a few scenes in her perfomance, but overall she was very bland. I also can't give credit to a director willingly choosing to add in CGI blood in post. I rolled my eyes when anyone got shot.
40 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.