Always Be My Maybe (2019) Poster

Watchable for Keanu Reeves...but otherwise easy to skip.
MartinHafer28 June 2019
"Always Be My Maybe" is a tough film to watch. One one hand, there are some wonderful performances by some of the supporting characters. But, more importantly, the main characters (in particular the one played by Randall Park) are not likable and I didn't really want the 'happy ending' that seemed obligatory...but not necessary.

When the story begins, you see that Sasha and Marcus have been best friends since their childhood. However, eventually their relationship changes and the pair have a very awkward and unsatisfying sexual encounter....and eventually they both go their separate ways. Many years pass and now they are brought back together. In the interim, she (Ali Wong) has become a super-famous and successful chef and he (Randall Park) is a bit of a loser. Now his being a loser is NOT because he's a working class guy. It's more that he's bitter and a bit of snob that I call him a loser. Can the pair manage to get together even though BOTH are apparently involved in other relationships AND he is so angry and judgmental? And, can this successful lady figure out WHY she would want to settle for such a guy?!

The supporting characters, especially Keanu Reeves (who plays an odd and awful fake version of himself) are wonderful. But the chemistry between Sasha and Marcus never makes a lot of sense and you question why they writers insisted on making him such a knucklehead. A misfire with some decent aspects to the story.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Netflix is turning out some good features
lee_eisenberg20 June 2019
Having seen "Mudbound", "Roma" and "Always Be My Maybe", I think that it's safe to say that Netflix is turning out some good feature films. It may have been hard to imagine that a streaming service would do so, but it's true. This story of a romance that starts up again after sixteen years hits all the right notes. I recommend it.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
cute romcom
blanche-216 February 2021
Cute rom com about two people, Sasha and Marcus (Ali Wong and Randall Park) who knew each other in childhood and early teen years and reconnect 15 years later.

Sasha is now a celebrity chef, and Marcus is still living at home and working for his father. They aren't that excited about getting together.

There are some sweet moments in this film, but the funniest scene takes place in a restaurant with Sasha's hot date, Keanu Reeves. He is HILARIOUS. The whole restaurant set-up is a riot. Park says something like "I just ate a $640 meal and I'm starving." The movie is worth seeing just for that part.

Very pleasant.
A really fun comedy
ComedyFan20108 June 2019
I like romantic comedy but this one is also one that has a lot of great humor. I really laughed out lout at many of the jokes. It was created by great comedians, also had a cute story and some good acting. The date with Keanu Reeves was also a great addition. The restaurant where they ate was ridiculous and funny and the game they played had many great jokes. Netflix usually doesn't do as well with movies as with TV shows but this one is sure a winner.
1 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A joy to watch
Gordon-1131 May 2019
This film tells the story of two childhood friends who diverged after adulthood, but a chance encounter rekindles their friendship.

It is a romantic comedy so you just know the ending right from the start. The journey getting to the ending is sweet and funny, but the dialog is a little too mean at times. Visually the film is great, the sets are beautiful. It is a joy to watch.
10 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
bland rom-com with a few hilarious minutes in the middle
cherold10 September 2019
In Always Be My Maybe, two childhood friends who once hooked up reconnect. She's become famous, he not so much. They sort out their feelings. That's pretty much the story.

The series is directed by Nahnatchka Khan, who created the TV series Fresh Off the Boat, and there are more laughs in one episode of that show than in this entire movie. Most of those laughs happen in a burst of hilarity at a chi-chi restaurant and directly after. These scenes, both of which feature Keanu Reeves playing a really awful version of himself, could be the basis of a much better movie.

So that's the Com, but what about the Rom? Well, that's an issue too. Sasha dates jerks, but when a friend tells her she should go for Marcus and she says he's a "stealth jerk" she's absolutely right. And because we see how jerky he is it's really hard to hope those two wind up together. Also, while Randall Park and Ali Wong have an easygoing chemistry, it's very much friends chemistry. I never felt this were two people who really *should* be together. Comfortable chemistry would be fine if it seemed like they'd make a good couple, but as I say, he's a jerk, so you need really electric chemistry to make it seem like they should be together in spite of that.

It's all perfectly watchable and pleasant enough, but it's definitely a second-tier rom-com.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't Let the World Pass You By
ThomasDrufke22 June 2019
If there's one thing Netflix seems to be doing pretty successfully (besides TV), it's rom-coms. Always Be My Maybe was the next big comedy to make waves through the renowned streaming service, and to mostly good results. Ali Wong and Randall Park play two lovers who reconnect after not having seen each other for over a decade. Park, who has been poorly miscast in a few recent comic book films, plays great off Wong and vice versa. And as I say about most of these films, it can be painfully cheesy without the right actors & director. Luckily, that's not the case here. Plus, an extended cameo from Keanu Reeves as himself made this film all the more enjoyable. So even if the rom-com genre isn't necessarily getting the screen time in theaters it deserves, I'm glad it seems to be making a resurgence on the small screen.

7.7/10
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A decent if not outstanding rom-com, with a jaw-dropping surprise to those who know nothing about the movie (pretty unlikely)
harry_tk_yung26 August 2019
"Always be my maybe" brings to mind (and indeed what many critics refer to) quite a few other rom-coms from as recent as "Long Shot" to as far back as "When Harry met Sally". There are, as most such comparisons, more dissimilarities than similarities. I won't elaborate. You'll undoubtedly notice them as I briefly describe the plot.

Two next-door neighbours in San Francisco, one Vietnamese and one Korean, each has a single child who grew up as best friends. We see them first in their preteen days. Sasha Tran's parents grossly neglect her, not so much because they are really bad parents but because they are workaholics in their family business. The defining opening scene pre-teen Sasha preparing her own lunch, turning a few slices of canned luncheon meat into something quite exquisite, even decorating them with a tiny parasol.

Marcus next doors is blessed with model parents, appreciative father Harry and near-angelic mother Judy, who takes Sasha under her wings. The two protagonists, from pre-teen through teenage, were like brother and sister, or best friends, with little, if any, puppy love context. Their middle-class life was blissful, if modest, until their universe was shattered by Judy's fatal traffic accident. This was obviously a devastating loss to both father and son. Sasha felt terrible and tried to comfort Marcus saying that Judy was like a mother to her too. This hit a raw nerve in Marcus who resented anybody claiming to understand how he felt about losing his mother. Snapping, he said something unkind which in return hurt Sasha. They did not see each other again in the next 15 years.

Sasha (minus the teeth braces) is now a celebrity chef with a classy restaurant in Los Angeles and two more to open soon, in San Francisco and New York, in that order. Her upcoming marriage with a successful restaurant entrepreneur Brandon is delayed at his request, as he cannot pass up investigating a promising business opportunity in India. Sasha goes back to her hometown and rents a house for two months to focus on the grand opening of the new restaurant. That brings her back face to face with Marcus and his father who operate a modest air-conditioning business. While Harry is still hoping to see the pair restore close relationship, Sasha and Marcus feel somewhat awkward with each other, not the least because they happened to have lost their virginity to each other as teenagers, in the backseat of Marcus car, one of those things. As well, Marcus is now "married spiritually and sexually, although not literally" to a flamboyant young woman Jenny (those are her words, in quote) The rest of the script you can almost write yourself, remembering all these various rom-coms you have seen before. There are however a few things here that you might not have seen elsewhere.

One is the parental touch. In Marcus's case, the loss of his mother makes him feel responsible for his father who has some ailments that requires regular shots but is otherwise quite capable of looking after himself. Sasha has always tried to encourage Marcus, an underachiever, to fully explore his potentials. For example, he writes very good raps and has modest success with his modest band. But he is stubbornly reluctant to venture out of his comfort zone, the neighbourhood he grew up in. Harry, however, understands that he himself is Marcus's phycological chains and fetters but is at a loss how to help his son.

"I never really have any parents", laments Sasha. In the end she is reconciled to them. After retirement, the couple finally realises how they have neglected their daughter. They seek her out, times and again, to make amends. In the movie, this pair is depicted as comical relief and there is nothing wrong with that. Sasha finally accepts them back into her life. But her real mother, emotionally speaking, is Judy. This could be the most touching thing in the movie. Her somewhat deprived childhood might have egged her on to high-class cuisine "that always leaves you hungry" (Marcus's words). At the end of the movie, we see her offering Marcus (and surprising him with) one-pot comfort food that Judy used to offer her every day.

Ali Wong and Randall Park have very good chemistry, but probably more as friends. Be that as it may, the movie has different degrees of success (depending on the audience) in testifying that they have had a crash for each other all these years. Like in any other similar movies, there is a critical turning point. That is what brings me the "jaw-dropping surprise" in my Headline: Keanu Reeves. It would be totally naïve to assume that the audience does not know he is in the movie but I'll make that assumption anyway. As a result, to describe anything in detail would spoil the enjoyment, even for those who do expect to see him. I would, however, venture to say this: Reeves had so much fun in this movie that he would probably do it for free.
Nice story...
Thanos_Alfie11 August 2020
"Always Be My Maybe" is a Comedy - Romance movie in which we watch two best friends reunite after 15 years. Their lives have changed but their personalities and their relationship did not. They both face different difficulties in their lives and start to wonder about their life choices.

I liked this movie because it had an interesting plot with many hilarious moments along with romance. The direction which was made by Nahnatchka Khan was very good and I liked the way she presented the lives of our main characters, their dreams and their true fears. The combination of some dramatic moments with comedy and romance made this movie even better. Regarding the interpretations of the cast, I have to say that both Ali Wong who played as Sasha Tran and Randall Park who played as Marcus Kim were simply outstanding and they both did an excellent job on their parts. Finally, I have to say that if you choose to watch "Always Be My Maybe" you will have a great time and you will laugh too.
Always Be My Maybe
JoBloTheMovieCritic20 July 2019
6/10 - with Ali Wong and Randall Park, I thought this would've been a tad funnier, but it was still a charming rom-com
Straight Forward and Amusing
iquine13 September 2019
(Flash Review)

Two childhood friends, boy and girl, lives split after high school. The boy ends up a regular Joe while the girl becomes a hard working celebrity chef. 18 years later their paths cross and their childhood awkward romantic feelings reemerge. Will they be able to mesh with their established adult lives together? This is simply an entertaining RomCom movie. Good acting with a hilarious cameo by Keano Reeves....he actually wasn't monotone and appeared to actually be acting much to my surprise! No prize for guessing where the story ends up but the ride was amusing.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Always be my Maybe
henry8-37 January 2020
A couple, from small kids to adults always seem to mess things up just as they seem to becoming a couple. Their lives go in different directions for years with him becoming an air conditioning engineer, her a hugely successful chef and restauranteur. Then they meet up again.

Whilst the romcom story elements are hardly radical, this is a genuinely funny and sharp comedy with two lovely central performances, supported by a great turn by Buteau and a hysterical send up of himself by Keanu Reeves - the scene in the hugely ostentatious restaurant is one of the funniest of the year.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bit weird but not bored at all! Surprisingly watchable! Quite funny too!
kwenchow9 June 2019
The film begin with the childhood life of Sasha and Marcus in 1996! They are neighbor since that time! Actually they already is like a so called lover, because they already hanging out regularly! Sasha even admit she crushing Marcus since childhood at the end! Until 2003, Marcus mother died, they separated! At present day 2019, they both have their lover! The story is about how they trying to get together again! The relationship depicted by two main character actually quite weird but still is acceptable for me! Have several funny scene! They make love in a car at 2003, Marcus challenge his father battle a dance with him! Marcus throw up the food Jenny keep feeding him! The introduction of Keanu Reeves also a bit intense and funny! He show off his no glass spectacles to Marcus! Showing off he knows many China leader and even he challenge a fight with Marcus! The end credit song, I think Keanu Reeves fans sure dislike the lyric! Lol! But the rhythm quite good actually! The two main character eventually get together, when Marcus confess at the award ceremony red carpet! Marcus father also found a new lover at the end! Sasha open a restaurant with Marcus mother recipe really very touching! Not as good as Crazy Rich Asians! But still is a good movie to enjoy!
1 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Average, but decent rom-com with a fun and lively cameo from Keanu Reeves
aidanratesmovies6 July 2019
Though quite average and formulaic at times, Always Be My Maybe manages to take risks with much success, even while not totally being a great romantic comedy. The film is well acted, and well told, minus some structure issues. The overall look makes for a dazzling and at times romantic spectacle that seems fitting for the film, but at times may prove distracting rather than helpful. Needless to say, Keanu Reeves somewhat cameo halfway through the film makes for the most joy in an otherwise average story, and is surprisingly done with just the right amount of ridiculousness without taking it too far. In the end, the film is sweet, and obviously not perfect, but it has its quirks and provides a certainly interesting addition to the Netflix rom-com catalog. My Rating: 7.5/10
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining and funny rom-com, even if not the most original
vithiet1 July 2019
While it is a fairly formulaic rom-com, I liked it more than I thought I would. Maybe it's the Asian connection (I"m half) or the fact I live in San Francisco, I'm not sure. Casting is really great and all the actors give great performances; the Keanu Reeves cameo had me in tears! Definitely a feel good flick that's perfect if you're feeling down.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reasonable fun
muamba_eats_toast11 January 2020
Whilst the film doesn't break any new ground and is fairly formulaic it still has that feel good factor with two very likeable leads and enough actual laughs to get by. It won't blow your socks off but perfect for a quiet night in.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad at all
PsychoBeard66612 June 2019
A spin on the usual rom com tropes but does suffer from a few cliches. Some jokes don't land but the ones that do more than make up for it. Has one of the best cameos from an actor willing to portray himself as insufferable because in real life he's anything but.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good bits surrounded by sausage factory filler
Rob-O-Cop7 July 2019
There were some funny bits here and some good acting but that was diluted by factory cheese and dumbed down with mass market filler material, bling, cliche material and scenes, and the characters and actors deserved better than that, which was weird cos the 2 of the three writers were the 2 main cast members. should have been funnier, could have been funnier, the Keanu Reeves bit showed somebody knows funny, an ok watch with moments of warmth depth and cleverness.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, lighthearted yet shallow
mikayakatnt22 March 2020
A get-together, break-up, and get-back-together type romcom film.

Always Be My Maybe is lighthearted, funny, and genuine. Everyone has genuine chemistry that is noticeable beyond the film.

The only thing that broke my suspension of belief is the fact that Marcus is still able to somehow survive San Francisco living costs with only a HS diploma. Like...how?

Did love that extra Asian-American representation though. And that ending is 10/10 beautiful.

(And if y'all haven't noticed from everyone else's reviews, there is a surprise cameo that basically steals the show.)

3/5. Fun, lighthearted romcom to watch during a rainy Friday night. Don't expect a deep script or too many underlying symbolism. Turn your brain off and enjoy the show.
A Feel-Good Watch
kjproulx31 May 2019
Netflix has been on a streak of releasing very solid romantic comedies over the last couple of years. From Set It Up being one of their absolute best, to even enjoyable films like Someone Great or When We First Met, it almost feels like the home for the best romantic comedies is on Netflix these days. That's not a bad thing, because I just don't see many audience members flocking out to movies like this in the theatre anymore. I definitely see a change coming in the next five to ten years in terms of where certain genres will end up. With that said, Always Be My Maybe is Netflix's latest release in this genre and if this one doesn't make you smile, you're probably just not in the right mood to watch.

Sasha and Marcus have been friends since childhood but eventually had a falling out in their teenage years. Slowly falling for each other once they land on their feet in their adult days, hilarity and drama ensue. While the premise itself isn't exactly something that people will be writing home about by the time 2019 comes to a close, this really is a film that puts its characters in the forefront, which made for a highly enjoyable little comedy. I was actually very happy I watched this film because it shed new light on Randall Park.

Personally, I've always seen him popping up as the butt end of a joke in comedies and I never found him all that funny. Surprisingly, give him his own film and suddenly he shines brightly. I thought he did a fantastic job here as Marcus and having written the screenplay with his co-star Ali Wong probably added to the chemistry that leaps off the screen between the two of them. Wong is fantastic here as well, but my biggest complaint with this film is that there are times when I found myself disliking the actions of both characters, which did slightly hurt my enjoyment of the movie as a whole.

Yes, by the time the film ends, everything falls into place nicely, but certain things didn't feel quite earned. From being rude to feeling slightly out of character at times, there are lines of dialogue that felt very off-putting. There were certain scenes that felt like a different film to me. Yes, most movies need low points and yes, arguments between characters are inevitable in a film like this, but some harsh things are said sometimes and are just brushed off later on. For that, I didn't quite love this movie as a whole, but don't let that make it seem like I didn't think it was a great movie nevertheless.

In the end, Always Be My Maybe is a very sweet story that does play with a few cliches along the way and is very predictable by the third act, but with some solid characters, a scene-stealing cameo that is easily the highlight of the movie, and a feel-good premise, held together by a solid score and soundtrack, there were times when I just couldn't stop smiling. If you're looking for an easy feel-good movie to watch, I think this one is worth your time.
6 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well matched leads
cardsrock16 June 2019
The easy chemistry between Randall Park and Ali Wong is the standout in this rom com. Both have their subtle humor down pat and play off of each other well. I enjoyed the skewering of San Fran hipster culture and most of the comedy throughout. The biggest negative is that the resolution doesn't feel entirely earned and seems a little too Hollywood/unrealistic for real people. However, it is still full of genuine feel good moments and laughs. Also, the Keanussaince is raging on this summer. His cameo in which he plays himself is the highlight of the film and even funnier because he's the complete opposite in real life.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
FrenchEddieFelson31 May 2019
A tender rom com that I enjoyed right from the start when Sasha shuts her door in the face of Marcus until the credits during which Marcus sings his memorable encounter. The success of the film owes much to the actors playing the two main protagonists, either teen or adult, as well as the wacky and awesome presence of Keanu Reeves, as a repulsive guest star. The characters are globally endearing and transform this conventional story in a delightful rom com.
63 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why did I love this movie so much?
Offworld_Colony10 February 2020
I got that it wasn't flashy, but it wasn't bad either. It had acting and comedy chops without being crass or obvious. It was solid and told a story with people of colour without resorting to making it a message-movie. Hamilton-syndrome maybe; representative without being about representation. Yes, it felt like good TV and not great movie, with its Netflix standard crispness, but it knows its audience. I very much liked this sort of effortlessly pleasing romcom with real chemistry and no pretensions.
31 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a rom com, in San Francisco
donaldricco8 August 2021
Well, it's a rom-com about childhood sweethearts that meet up again after 16 years, or so. And I enjoyed the first hour quite a bit! Both leads are good, cute, and funny, and through the Keanu Reeves scenes, I was entertained. I also live in the Bay Area, so it was cool seeing all of the exterior shots in San Francisco! But A. K. (after Keanu), the cheesy rom-com stuff got thick, and the movie lost my interest. You know, "you can't live in my world, and I can't live in yours" sappiness that just makes me cringe. But the first hour was worth it, and the songs by Hello Peril went right on my Spotify list!
Definitely Maybe
Lebowskidoo4 August 2019
"I once saw Glenn Close order a pineapple sandwich!"

This rom-com was such a great surprise. Hilarious lines, relatable characters and scenes, plus, Keanu Reeves as Keanu Reeves!

Thank you Randall Park and Ali Wong! Expecting more great things from you both!
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.