Always Be My Maybe (2019) Poster

Just what I needed
ozgun-752952 June 2019
Having a few bad weeks behind due to work, personal family issues etc etc and just opened Netflix late evening to set my mind away from all stuff. This movie was just what I needed! Creating acting, great plot. Got me a great "happy feeling" during the whole movie. Thanks to all who played a role in making this movie!!
154 out of 183 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Solid, Feel Good Rom-Com
royhectorkabanlit31 May 2019
I felt that the movie was a little bit slow at the start, but it did eventually get its groove with some really, really funny scenes, particularly the one involving Keanu, which makes me wonder how the hell they were able to get him star in this "small" movie after the enormous success of the John Wick series. Vivian Bang stole every scene she was in, and I didn't know Randall Park was such a good rapper. Anyway, a pretty solid feel good Rom-Com, highly recommended.
133 out of 173 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Loved It.
purplesanz1 June 2019
I watched it yesterday and I would be more than glad to watch it again. The characters were so likeable, especially James Saito, who made me smile with every scene he was on. I have to admit the Keanu Reeves part took me by surprise and it was HILARIOUS. If you are a fan of romantic comedies and also have some knowledge about Keanu's previous roles in action movies, you will totally enjoy this one, I guarantee it.
70 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Okay this is so cute!
MovieQween-3362231 May 2019
This is such a cute movie, it's smart, funny and not ridiculous. There's such good chemistry and it just works!! I've always really liked Ali Wong, never a mega fan necessarily but loved her in things I saw. Can't say I was a Randall Park fan, it's not that I didn't like him, I just didn't ever love any of his projects. This one is such a win though. FINALLY such a cute rom com that's not rushed or corny or lame. Ali Wong And Randall Park are both writers and producers on this project! It really makes me fans of both of them. Please tell me there's a sequel in the works already! There have been so many high school stories on Netflix so this was a nice, fresh story. We need more of these quality rom coms!!!! Also the music was great!
95 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute Perfection
leahsmithlee31 May 2019
Thia movie is absolutely perfect in every way. If you haven't seen it, I won't give much away. Having said that, the movie does a phenomenal job of both ebracing this generation and simultaneously poking fun of it. It's hillarious and ironic at the same time. Keanu Reeves in this movie... best part! If all movies grasped this level of awareness, there would be a lot more hits out there. It's different and playful, while still sort of following an older rom com format. It's a must see.
79 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
FrenchEddieFelson31 May 2019
A tender rom com that I enjoyed right from the start when Sasha shuts her door in the face of Marcus until the credits during which Marcus sings his memorable encounter. The success of the film owes much to the actors playing the two main protagonists, either teen or adult, as well as the wacky and awesome presence of Keanu Reeves, as a repulsive guest star. The characters are globally endearing and transform this conventional story in a delightful rom com.
52 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent rom-com but weak romance and understanding of humam behavior
arro2536 June 2019
There were a few laughs and there's a nice feel-good factor in here. Ali Wong and Keanu Reeves were great, as well.

However, in certain parts, the characters' actions were so over the top, creating a drastic change in tone that broke immersiveness in the 'romance' of the story.

I didn't believe in the great love or even friendship between the two leads because a long relationship like that is more than a few jokes and one sexual encounter. There was no sense of them having been through a lot together or knowing each other's unique quirks or talking about big life stuff and finding out each other's values.

Also, one part at the end surprised me by being construed as a romantic gesture on Ali Wong's part. I am sure that most people in real life would be angry and upset that what they thought was their business booming turned out to be a loved one secretly throwing money at the problem.

While I can see Ali Wong's character as being an amazing; desirable woman, Randall Park's character came off as immature to the point of being selfish and mean-spirited, hence not likeable or attractive.

His 'growth' and realization at the end felt like too little, too late. It came off as a man who seemed to do a one-eighty because he had nothing else in his life anyway, rather than someone who grew into himself and finally realised he appreciated her.
33 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really wanted to like this film..
ddcraver1 June 2019
I didn't hate it.. In fact, I really wanted to like this film! Unfortunately, Randall Park fails to rise to Ali Wong's emotional level in the key critical emotional scenes. It's not that I don't appreciate Randall Park.. I do, especially in The Interview & Ant Man.. but, it's just really obvious that Ali Wong is capable of channeling genuine emotion at a level that Randall Park is not.. or, at least, not in this case. Basically, more a complement to Ali than a put down to Randall. It's still a little early yet to tell whether or not Ali Wong will sustain a lasting film career.. if she does, the prospect of seeing her cast in a more emotionally challenging role is definitely intriguing. Also, I did really like the supporting players.. solid overall casting here.. and, I genuinely appreciated Keanu's willingness to be the comedic "heavy" when, by all accounts, he's is the exact opposite in real life. 6/10
49 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoroughly entertaining!
timac111 June 2019
I've always loved Ali Wong's stand up special so I was excited to see her acting in her comedic glory and she didn't disappointing! This movie was consistently funny with a tender and none mean spirited awkward humor.

The chemistry between the actors was excellent, for both the comedic and emotional moments. I would definitely recommend!
38 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lots of fun
margaretbst1 June 2019
Great fun movie and the actors were good. It went up a notch when Keanu Reeves entered the story. He was brilliant. I couldn't stop laughing. I haven't laughed like that in a long time. Love the way he was happy to make fun of himself.
31 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh
ricaelamae1 June 2019
Honestly this movie is kind of difficult to stay with; I paused it at 60 minutes and couldn't believe there was still another half hour left. It's hard to be invested or care about either main character as one is an arrested development man-child and the other is a pretentious jerk. Their personalities and life style are not compatible and the chemistry just isn't there. Unbelievable romance and almost no comedy.
76 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Refreshing, hilarious and absolutely magical
anvi-sharma1 June 2019
I think this might be my favourite rom-com ever. It had everything - I laughed and I cried multiple times throughout the movie. Special shoutout to Karan Soni and Michelle Buteau, who both had impeccable comedic timing and stole the show pretty much everytime they were on screen.

And of course, Randall Park and Ali Wong ... they KILLED it. This was gold. I had high expectations, and this met all of them and went beyond.

It was a little predictable and some of the jumps between scenes were a little quick, but these are just minor critiques.

Also, Keanu Reeves. That's all I'm gonna say about that.
36 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fresh Off the Boat
alvintalavera1 June 2019
I loved this one a lot, I think this is one of the best Netflix movie ever. The main leads had the greatest chemistry ever. Plus all the other cast did well. I loved the story a lot and the jokes are on point. It really delivers the Rom-com that you are looking for.
39 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderfully Funny
duckonthedam31 May 2019
We really enjoyed this. Some great moments of pure awkwardness had us in stitches. Loved Randall Park and Ali Wong. They play off each other very well. Really great characters throughout the whole movie. The young kids were adorable. Keanu Reeves plays himself to perfection. Overall a thoroughly enjoyable show.
37 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than Crazy Rich Asians
tyronetse2 June 2019
Better than Crazy Rich Asians, not too stereotyped. Hope to see more movies from Ali Wong.
35 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really wanted it to be better
INTXb4 June 2019
This one is almost unwatchable, for some reason I wanted to like it, but it never really got better. The acting is wooden and contrived. Almost all of the jokes are subpar. I have no idea why it has 7 stars right now - must be all the cast and crew who rated it after it was just released. If you have to watch it skip to the scenes with Keanu and stop watching after that.
22 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed
mpsteve3 June 2019
The trailer had me hooked. I thought it was going to be a clever rom com about returning to your roots. I thought it would show the importance of love and family over fame. Sure, the movie ended on that point for the last five minutes. But the character development was lacking. The characters would love someone, then yell at them, hate them, then repeat. Their actions were impulsive. It finally ends happy but doesn't explain how the characters changed inside in order to get to that point. It felt very sad and like people only cared about themselves, except for when it benefited themselves to care about someone else. The characters were punny but I really didn't get to know them.
25 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Characters are not endearing.
Mary Fou4 June 2019
I was so looking forward to this, but the main female character gave me no reason to like her. The little girl at the beginning was good, but it went downhill from there. Marcus's dad was good and Sasha's bff was great, but there was no real chemistry between the main characters and the movie just never gave me any reason to pull for the couple.
18 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty Good
chris-471131 May 2019
I am not a fan of rom coms but had nothing to watch and this was new on Netflix today.

It starts off pretty slow but after about 20 mins it becomes very enjoyable and quite amusing especially the parts with Keanu Reeves. The ending is predictable but it's well worth a watch.
18 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just a huge nope for me
anneliesmeyers31 May 2019
Bad writing, non believable characters, side characters added nothing, poor dialogues, cringed all throughout (not just the parts where they wanted me to). Sad that I wasted my time on this one. Don't mind a predictable movie, but at least try to devellop a proper storyline. Why they would fall in love in the present is absolutely not clear. Yes, they have history. But as a succesfull and smart woman that would not be enough reason to date the sad town guy who had zero personal development in 16 years. Can't believe people are actually willing to invest that much money in such an awful movie. And I didn't know any of the main actors from before, which might explain why my review is unbiased, unlike others that you may find here. Did not feel a single butterfly, no chemistry and no laughs.
78 out of 196 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Szene with Keanu Reeves was hilarious
zbindend2 June 2019
The story is not new but nice cast and an absolute highlight when Keanu Reeves appears. The restaurant szene is hilarious. Watchable only because of this szene.
14 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartfelt and funny
danielle-maccdonald1 June 2019
Put this movie on for "background noise" as I do with many netflix originals and instead I ended up completely intrigued with the movie. Heartfelt, great comedy, and two great actors for the lead role. My husband liked it enough to stay off his phone for the whole movie lol!
12 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A copy of "Just friends" but less funny
whitmanjs18 June 2019
Two childhood friends are very close. One is in love with the other. They grow apart and one becomes very successful while the other stays in their home town. Successful friend returns home with their current partner. Over the course of their return, they fall in love with childhood friend again and end their relationship with their current partner. This synopsis descripes this movie and the 2005 film "just friends" starring Ryan Reynolds, Amy Smart, and Anna Ferris. The only difference is that the genders we're swapped. Aside from the unoriginal story, the comedy was bland and the pacing was awful. The writing was fine (even the parts that weren't copied seemed to be uninteresting and uninspired) but the directing is what killed it. The two main actors did good with what they were given and made me believe they were real people for most of the movie.

SPOILERS!!: This movie falls victim to the predictable narrative of the two main characters being mad at each other for a small portion of the movie. Everything is going great and out of nowhere Randall Park's character just starts acting out and being a jerk to Ali Wong's character. They give a reason as to why he acts this way but no real person would take it to this extent in real life. All in all, the movie isn't great but the two main characters are portrayed by likable enough actors to prevent this movie from being a 2/10. The main characters parents have bad actors and I wish they were in less of the movie. This movie gets two stars for the high production quality and another star because of the two main actors. This movie is bad. Watch Just friends instead if you want a good rom com.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is very bad
lemosjuliana-0350610 June 2019
This is the worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life, what is K. Reeves doing in this movie? This movie is so bad I made and IMDb account just to tell you people how bad it is.
14 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A lot of meh
jell9531 May 2019
What could have been a good movie was ruined by the over played notion that a beautiful, successful woman would fall in love with a pathetic, unambitious stoner with few redeeming qualities. In 2019 we've come to expect more from our rom-come.
59 out of 163 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.