Traitors (TV Series 2019– ) Poster

(2019– )

Gripping final instalment
mikecfox20 February 2019
Slow burner... worth persevering with and deserving of a second series. Some of the persevered "Englishness" was plain dumb, such as the cricket match taking place in a cow field! But on the whole an enjoyable series. It grew darker as it progressed.
39 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Indeed Traitors !
omegafrankie31 March 2019
This stands alone as a good yarn about spying in post war Britain, the storyline is interesting and the acting throughout is excellent. I am a little surprised at the low ratings it gets but I'm guessing it does not contain the action which many people seem to crave these days. Instead of this, the drama demands your attention and makes the viewer think about the issues it raises. The cynical viewer who wants endless action should watch pieces containing Jason Statham.
39 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty clever and worth the view
monobloc28 February 2019
Shades of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Well acted micro history of early CIA.. Slow start but picks up momentum. Well acted, great cast, and would make excellent 2 hour movie. Good insight into British post war geopolitical situation. Needed a little more humour perhaps but nevertheless very smartly filmed and directed. Surprisingly good.
43 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable series
allydiets24 February 2019
I've watched all 6 episodes and I wasn't bored at all. In fact I hope there's a second series.
41 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A series everyone should watch, no matter their age.
tnokoz20 February 2019
The characters may not be real but the story facts are. If you research the history of post war England, you will better understand it. This is not different than todays political climate. This is the first episode and I can see the character build up. It is going to be a very touchy, political series and I suppose people who do like this series care about how the current political world evolved and is going. The world today is in political disarray and due to many developments and leaders, especially with Trump being the President of a sliding nation. If you wasn't impressed with the first episode, hang in there, things will become more clear.
35 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It might turn out great but so far it is weak an unconvincing.
ib011f9545i17 February 2019
This might turn out to be a great thriller but half way through the first episode the way the history is shown is really annoying me.

The episode shows SOE training ,a fake interrogation,they really did this sort of thing so some research done there.

But then we have the 1945 election,many of the voters were soldiers who were overseas so it took several weeks to get the soldiers votes back to Britain,the results day was not the same day as the voting.

Characters keep referring to the Labour Party as The Socialists,the Daily Mail and the Telegraph used to refer to Labour as the socialists to make then sound foreign and extreme but I doubt members of the public used the expression much.

The election result in 1945 was a surprise to most people but there had been indications that it might turn out as it did. Churchill fought a bad campaign,personally insulting Attlee who greatly admired him. Churchill suggested that a Labour government would need some sort of Gestapo to Britain,Attlee reply was statesmanlike.

There is little evidence that America spied on Britain much after 1945. The American intelligence organisations learned a lot from British intelligence organisations 1941-1945 and they maintain close links to this day.

There is little evidence for the plot idea that there was much Soviet influence on the Labour government. Soviet influence on the Labour party and Trade Unions yes,influence on government ,not much. Attlee and Bevin had fought the far left in the Labour party since the 1930s.

Bevin was very much an anti communist,he helped drag America into forming NATO by fooling it over the Greece crisis. Attlee made sure that the far left pro communist mps were sidelined and thrown out of the party by 1950. The Attlee government helped form Nato built the British atom bomb and took part in the Korean war. ed to It is true there was the rhetoric of left will talk to left in 1945 and Britain did sell jet engines to the USSR but the majority of evidence shows that the 1945 government thought that British democratic socialism was a weapon against communism not an ally of it.
32 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
confusing and mixed up too!
ematerso6 April 2019
I am 84 so lived through all the years in this film. Believe me even in Brooklyn New York where I first heard the F word spoken out loud women simply did not speak like this and certainly not at work. I was 32 (so 1964) before I ever heard this word. Why was the heroine dating that wimpy guy? What was her problem sexually? (Physically?) Wasn't she supposed to be aboard the ship with the explosives? Was the Keely Haws character alive or dead at the end? Why did the heroine push her down the stairs? It did not make much sense. Why was she as a new employee calling the shots for other employees? I think I am generous in giving it 3 but I do like Keely Haws.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the inconsistancy nettled me
credly4 April 2019
How can a series have such great production values regarding costumes, sets, vehicles and the like and still have so many terrible anachronisms in the script?? just drove me nuts!
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underwhelming
kristin_f19 February 2019
With a cast and plot like this, there had been high expectations but what could have been a great start into a spy drama, turned out to be rather disappointing at the end. The script, cast/acting, direction, camera - actually it lacked something in every category. Not to begin with the historical inaccuracies which were easy to spot.

It gets another chance on Sunday, but so far I'm not a fan. (Edit: it got another chance - still not a fan. It just didn't get any better and instead of hoping for a second season, you forget rather fast that this series even exists.)
26 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally, a series created by google and youtube... yay!
writenamehere13 April 2019
The idea for this series appears to have been created by google analytics, and the dialogue by reusing a selection of youtube comments. It really is that bad. The characters have no depth, no motive for the things they do, and the action keeps being interrupted by sex scenes that sound like they are delousing each other with a vacuum cleaner. The dialogue sounds like a teenager who wants to be an American Republican, has put all the best slogans about the how the World is - of which they have no clue - into a 1945 period satire. They include things like a serious concern that girls are only interested in guys for their cars; Russians and anyone who isn't of a rightwing persuation as naieve fools or psychopathic boogymen; and idiotic anachronisms, like glocks being common in the middle east straight after the war. Then the tone swings to bedroom feminism to "balance things out". All of it just didn't happen in 1945. It's as if no one involved in this production was born before the year 2000, or has ever read a book. If you think this is how the World works, or how it was, you probably spend your time arguing identity politics online. Do not waste your time with this one.
16 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
90% of ten to eight star reviews are FAKE/shill. All but one from single use accounts
random-707787 March 2019
Sorry but the series not only laughably bad, the critics have agreed it is as well. but it has an insanely high rating here in IMDB only because of shilled fake reviews. You can tell since the only activity of the account giving it a 10, 9 or 8 is upvoting and shill reviewing series. Poor acting, abysmal writing, laughable paranoid plot.
39 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring and silly.
emuir-130 March 2019
Is this supposed to be a comedy? the only good thing which can be said about this series is that the period clothing and furnishings were spot on and conveyed the dreariness of post war Britain. Storywise, it came across as an convincing parody of spy thrillers.

I must confess that I cam getting mighty tired of episodic TV endlessly dragged out and with a cliff hanger ending hoping that the series will get picked up for a second and further seasons. If the Netflix selection team actually watch programs like this, rather than just accepting them based on a synopsis, I feel really sorry for them.
14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Feel of "Smiley's People"
Venge1 April 2019
"Traitors" is a first-rate addition to the spy-genre, but not in the tradition of James Bond, but rather in the mould of Len Deighton's "Funeral in Berlin", or John le Carre's "Smiley's People". A story that builds piece by piece, as small, almost insubstantial clues are brought to light, while a web of danger lies in the dark corners. Those who are expecting a fast-paced action thriller will be sorely disappointed, but those who want a glimpse into the world of what a spy really does, leading a careful double-life, while trying to attract as little attention as possible, will be pulled into this rich story. Wonderful acting by the entire cast, but especially by the gutsy Emma Appleton, the tough but fragile Keeley Hawes, and the manipulative spymaster, Michael Stuhlbarg. Looking forward to future seasons.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sorry to disappoint....
zekeblack24 February 2019
I'd really want people to think about dramas that represent times before birth control. Women could not-- and did not-- fall into bed as easily as dramas show. Pregnancies would be rampant.... Lotsa close relationships... but -- not the freedom portrayed.
30 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clearly produced by communist sympathizers
mackenzietroy30 April 2019
I really wanted to like this show since I'm a big fan of the spy genre. However, I could only get five episodes in. I quit when the only black major character in the show starts getting recruited to communism. Other than the protagonist, he's the only really sympathetic character, and, I kid you not, his brother was murdered in the American South because "he held his head up high." The writers seem more interested in showing us how terrible 1940s society was than in actually telling a story.

The show seems to draw, at the least, a moral equivalence between the American and Soviet intelligence apparatus. The only character that takes the Soviet threat seriously is a murdering psychopath and a right wing fanatic. He actually pleads for a bigger budget by telling a room full of rich men that they need to protect their riches from (paraphrasing) "All the little nobodies with big ideas." As if the only reason to oppose this murderous, tyrannical ideology of world domination was to protect your money.

The only value of this series is to understand the perverse worldview of the modern leftist. Forget about being entertained.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh dear ///
normanemailer16 March 2019
I was warned this series gets off to a slow start. It's tortoise slow. I'm two episodes in and, although the word is that it becomes pacy and hooks one in, I remain uhooked. There are occasional moments when something interesting promises to break out but then it returns to a denseness that it's difficult to want to wade through. Some of the performances are convincing whilst others lean towards the caricature. Phoebe Nicholls hasn't bothered to change her character from the one she gave us in Downton Abbey. I might give it one more shot with the third episode. If there's not something more interesting to watch.Such as the weather report.
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Camera work
martin-933-91810918 February 2019
What's with all the self conscious wonky camera angles? It's so 1980s
17 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Third division "drama".
stephenwild-2892318 February 2019
Only watched this because Keeley Hawes was supposed to be in it (blink and you'll miss her) and I'll watch the next episode to see if she becomes more relevant and gets some more screen time.

The whole episode was underwhelming script-wise/acting-wise/direction-wise/camera-wise. It almost made me wish that the Nazis had won WWII just to see an alternative to this pedestrian production.
30 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why copy Americans?
zekeblack24 February 2019
One ad break in, and the formula is so Americanized. Overly attractive people, with hyperactive sex habits... Can only assume it will go down from here. Hate to give it star rating right away, but... I'll try it.
21 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wake me up when it's over.
oddfart19 February 2019
Plodding, undramatic bilge. No characters that I could warm to - in fact, no characters with any character! No danger of tuning in next week.
18 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Turgid and unfocussed
hornbys-602133 April 2019
Keeley Hawes is wonderful throughout but she's the only good thing about it. It sets up lots of things and then struggles to offer decent payoffs. The lighting is about the worst of any tv drama, reducing whole scenes to little more than shadowplay. A real waste.
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of time
geraldtaylor-623967 March 2019
Tittillating first episode, sadly, every male character appeared to be homogeneous, or was that just the - Yanks? Violette Zsabo this is not. Get back to Corrie, much more dramatic, and amusing.
17 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
?? It's actually pretty good.
tabsdarby25 February 2019
I like TV dramas, West World, Orange, Dannemora, Mad Men, etc. Traitor is great. Rating is low, whereas boring Baptiste is high. Why?
14 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spying in the politically correct revised world
dierregi12 May 2019
This is 2019, therefore you should be well aware that every white, straight male is a villain and everybody else is a long suffering victim and/or at least entitled to behave badly, due to the mentioned white-male oppression.

The series heroine is a young British female, who goes under the nickname of Feef. She is looking for a life less ordinary and is therefore upset by the end of WWII and by losing her chance to play her part with the French resistance ... or something along those lines.

Since she also having an affair with an allegedly married American soldier, she gets introduced into the spying game, with the idea of contrasting Commies'infiltration in the British civil service.

Her handler is Rowe, a totally ruthless American white male, who gets her to do despicable things. At last, she gets fed up and wants to quit the spying game, but the obnoxious Rowe blackmails her, with photos of her gay brother performing gay stuff.

She must joins forces with Jackson, the Afro-American soldier who used to be her previous lover's driver and together they fight white-male oppression, and also a little bit of Communism.

Her other antagonist is Priscilla, the Commie agent, herself a female, but justified in her treason by the obnoxious treatment of women and by the demise of her father during WWI, all the fault of white-male, capitalist oppression.

Conclusion: I know the world is a bad place where bad things happen, but a little less of an agenda against white-male oppressors would be appreciated.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh so slow and boring........
skpn12321 February 2019
I wanted to like this..... I really did but it is so incredibly boring.... slow and confusing plot and characters..... people died and I couldn't work out who they were even after going back three times...... After watching the episode I could not tell you anyone's names......nor could I work out any reason for the deaths or in fact any other part of the plot...... I cannot tell you what has happened and I am not sure anything meaningful has......

Maybe I have been too generous with the three stars especially as it seems the 'no boobs' boy look is in fashion..... does it really add value to flash a flat chest all over the screen? - 3rd show I have seen in the past fortnight that has done this..... must be trendy......
17 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.