Dog Days (2018) Poster

(I) (2018)

A heartwarming celebration to our canine friends!
palepalmito8 August 2018
I was not excited to watch this movie. However, thanks to moviepass, why not? And I am very glad I did.

The movie has 4 plots. A very energetic dog that's driving a family about to welcome babies crazy, an abandoned puppy that was found by a barista, an old man and his overweight pug and a TV host with her depressed dog after a breakup. The transitions are smooth and it does not feel overwhelming to follow all characters.

The plots are basic and not pretentious. Young kids can understand and older, jaded viewers will not be bored. The movie also puts adopting pets is such a good light that the only "risk" is leaving the theater wanting to adopt a four legged companion.

Dog Days is perfect for dog lovers and/or people who are looking for a light hearted comedy. This is absolutely not meant to be intellectual or a gag comedy.
28 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Schmaltzy, Predictable, Wonderful
jgeorge410 August 2018
Yeah, it's about as schmaltzy as a movie can get. Yeah, it's about as predictable as February snow in Minnesota. But ultimately, it's a wonderful movie and families will really enjoy this.

By far the best part of this is Charlie the dog, and the dynamic between Dax, his pregnant sister, and his brother-in-law. Dax's flippant stoner vibe may have saved the movie from completely drowning in estrogen and banality.

If the schmaltziness becomes simply too much, just let it go and focus on the dogs (I like dogs). 8/10 stars and a great family movie.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Laughed, cried, but most importantly related to!
snowdove-473779 August 2018
A friend of mine picked this movie out for a movie theater discount day - just something to see with no expectations and if it wasn't good no harm done - at least we get to see some dogs which we are both lovers of.

We were so pleasantly surprised by the down to earth positive feelings we both received from this movie that we kept saying I wasn't expecting that movie to be so good - didn't see that coming!

Everyday regular relatable life plots - first time parents having twins and feelings of being overwhelmed insisting on her brother to help out, adoption of a young girl for first time parents wanting to make an instant connection and bond of being a family, invisible geeky good hearted guy admiring a pretty woman who serves him coffee while the pretty woman is lusting over the handsome shallow veterinarian, independent female talk show host and her guest an injured self-confident ex-jock thrown into transition, and lonely isolating old guy that finds purpose because of a typical 16 year old boy who doesn't filter his comments. All incorporate man's best friend as an important part of their lives and families.

I especially enjoyed the dog therapist as I am a therapist and have had client's dogs in session.

My friend and I laughed, cried, and related to the different personalities of each of the dogs and the people that were made better by those relationships. Each story had bits and pieces of life that we related to and spoke to us.

We left the theater feeling better about life and the different paths it takes us on and how that is enriched by sharing this world with our furry friends and companions.
21 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than expected
nfobare0112 August 2018
I really liked it. The acting was sincere and I enjoyed the ad libbing. Yes the plots are predictable but didn't seem forced.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice story ,, wouldn't say a perfect family movie but it was somewhat enjoyable
Aktham_Tashtush2 December 2018
Not the worst dog story i'v watched ,, i mean to be honest i watched it because i like Vanessa Hudgens (side note, i wish they didn't cancel her show , Powerless ) ,, anyway ,, the movie has a nice heartwarming, Awh moment story ,, especially at the end ... I was not hilarious but it has some funny bits ,, i mean the bloopers in the credits were funny too ;)

cast wise ,, the cast were all known to me "comedy field" and they all were funny in their own way from Hudgens to Rob Corddry, Adam Pally, Ryan Hansen and Thomas Lennon ,,

So to wrap it up,, the movie was okay ,, and it is actually a nice family movie ,, so i'd say recommended.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great family (dog) movie!
lbterreb8 August 2018
Perfect family movie. Funny, great acting, hilarious writing. And dogs. Recommend.
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, feel good movie with just the right amount of heart and comedy!
coxpnw15 August 2018
This was such a fun heartfelt movie! It was so nice to take my older kids to a movie that was just nice and not full of junk. A few words here and there but nothing major. Some great comedic moments for adults and plenty for all ages. I would recommend ages 10 and up in order to get the comedy and story line. The acting of the main characters was excellent. Many familiar faces too! We all really enjoyed it and definitely recommend it.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A deff feel good movie ....great for a date night
natcalgary10 November 2018
Threw this movie on and watched with the wife and we both enjoyed it a lot. Acting is great, story lines are great and of course the dogs were great. One of the better feel good movies I have seen in a while.

7.2
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
IF YOU LIKE DOGS THIS IS A GREAT MOVIE
adriannaarcuri13 August 2018
This movie was wonderful. The actors were amazing and the concept was cute. This movie takes your average life and demonstrates why dogs make it just a little brighter, or a little more special. Amazing family movie, and for all dog lovers out there, I think you'll be able to relate.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good movie, I cried and loved the storylines
jrhodes-7208715 August 2018
At the beginning of the movie I wasn't sure if I would like it, but the more I watched it I truly enjoyed it... the storylines were good and parts of it were both happy and sad.. the ending was happy, the dogs were adorable, I loved every dog in the movie.. it's a cute confection type of movie, not intense at all, which I liked about it.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartwarming movie with great cast
cheryltepera-9385814 August 2018
Everyone that has a dog will relate to these stories.... I will remember this film because of its meaningful messages.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A little too sweet, but still a good doggo
CubsandCulture24 August 2018
This is kind of the Hallmark version of Short Cuts. It has 4 interlocking comedic stories, two love and two about family. On their own the stories are pretty good, all a bit too formulaic and predictable. Together they add up to more than the sum of their parts. It's all just a little too pat and a little too sweet.

One of the things I really liked was none of the characters were unnecessary mean or cold. Even the antagonists were largely nice people. It was nice break for films like these where one story is usually overwrought melodrama. Sadly the stories don't fully integrate and the film drags a little at the end because of that.

But overall this is a charming droll comedy that has just enough freshness to be worthwhile. The director and cast keep it breezy, light and dogs are all very cute. Gertrude is the best.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sit up and beg Hollywood to make more movies like this; WONDERFUL!
inkblot1117 August 2018
Elizabeth (Nina Dobrev) is a rising star in the world of LA morning talk shows. But, that doesn't mean her personal life is great. Her ex cheated on her, at their apartment, and left her and doggie Sam very unhappy. A handsome guest, retired football star Jimmy (Tone Bell) starts flirting immediately, baffling Liz and ticking her off. Meanwhile, Grace (Eva Longoria) and her hubby (Rob Cordrey) adopt a shy five year old girl, Amelia, and are jumping through hoops to please her. Nothing works until Am spies a fat little pug dog whose owner is missing. The wee gal is enchanted and starts opening up. Also, barista Tara (Vanessa Hudgens) has a marketing degree but makes coffee instead for handsome vets, without noticing, truly, a nervous man, Garrett (Jon Bass) who has a crush on her. Then, too Dax ( Adam Pally) upsets his pregnant sister and her husband by failing to show up to be the disc jockey at her baby shower, as he is too busy practicing with his band, Fronk. Sis is so upset, she goes into labor for twin sons and Dax has to babysit their enormous dog, Charlie, even though his apartment doesn't allow pets. Finally, lonely professor (Ron Cephas Jones) has lost his dog, Mabel, who his deceased wife adopted long ago. A caring pizza delivering sixteen year old, Tyler (Finn Wolfhard) volunteers to help find the dog, a pug. Will love blossom for the single parties? Will happiness come to those who are lonely, starting over, and recovering from losses? You can bet they will when canines come to the rescue! Hollywood, thank you for, ha, throwing a big, big bone to us starving romcom fans. But, moreover, one that is intelligent, funny, caring, sweet and filled with great performances! This film lover especially liked the jazz-infused band, with outstanding vocals from Jasmine Cephas Jones. Add on great costumes, fab scenery, and a zesty direction and viewers have the gift of a TOP DOG FILM! Go fetch it now.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely delightful from start to finish
Mary Fou15 August 2018
My eighteen-year-old daughter and I went to see this tonight and absolutely loved it. We went because she has a huge crush on Finn Wolfhard (who did not disappoint), but we agreed that we would have loved it even it he wasn't in it. Vanessa Hudgens was completely adorable in it as well.

It's hard to get me to laugh out loud during a movie, but I laughed a bunch and cried a few times too.

There were so many sweet story lines interwoven throughout, and the characters, both human and canine, were adorable (especially the chihuahua and the pug). Such a feel-good, light-hearted romantic comedy. The people who didn't like it probably just don't like rom coms.

I am honestly surprised this movie doesn't have a much higher rating than the 5.5 it currently has.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WATCH ITTTT!!!
ardilla-4287910 February 2019
I thought this movie was going to be boring but it was the opposite. It was so so wholesome and entertaining. It will make you cry and laugh. Some corny parts, but what movie doesn't have them? It truly does make your heart burst with happiness with the stories it creates and of course all the dogs. Give the movie a chance!:)
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Vidiot Reviews...
capone66620 November 2018
Dog Days

The dog days of summer are when the droughts get so bad people start drinking out of toilets.

However, this canine comedy contends that the meaning pertains more to listlessness.

Elizabeth (Nina Dobrev) is a morning show host who must learn to work with her new co-host; Tara (Vanessa Hudgens) is crushing on an arrogant vet while a nice guy pines for her; and a married couple (Eva Longoria, Rob Corddry) struggles to make life for their adopted daughter comfortable. Over time each of these tales intersects with one another to create a larger chronicle of modern relationships and urban dog ownership.

While none of the interconnected stories are all that earthshattering or funny for that matter, the canine companions do offer a slight reprieve from the corny, sentimentality of the unmemorable vignettes.

And while dogs can offer sound dating advise; they tend to favor the suitors with musty crotches. Red Light

vidiotreviews.blogspot.ca
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best movie I've seen in a LONG time!
Fltaylor677 January 2019
So many movies these days are completely unwatchable. This movie is funny, sweet, and touching without any swear words and the acting is superb. I don't normally watch movies more than once, but I will watch this one again.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute Movie
lorrieb-4920314 August 2018
I took my preteen granddaughters (who love dogs) to this movie. I thought it would probably turn out to be a lame silly movie but I actually liked it. It was a cute, funny and sweet movie. It was also so refreshing to watch a movie that didn't involve listening to profanity every three seconds. My girls and I loved it and we talked for about an hour afterward about the cute Chihuahua with the helmet!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Family movie
mail-9133 December 2018
Our family absolutely loved this movie. Ron Cephas Jones is an amazing actor.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must love dogs
abcvision13 August 2018
People are people. They seek but often are in conflict to find the perfect relationship. That's where dogs come in, they give their owners unconditional affection. In this movie you discover the situation of these broken individuals who are missing the attention they crave. The dogs help bridge the gap in seeking love, friendship, and companionship. This is the ideal date movie or a feel good story. Watch it and you are reaffirmed of the fact that man's best friends are always there with a wagging tale and caring heart regardless of is going on in the world.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet and satisfying
elsinore2221 August 2018
Other reviewers have criticized its predictability and sweet screenplay- that's why I loved it. I don't care if it's low brow. It was cute, funny, sweet, touching, and I cried like 6 times. You can take kids and grandparents to it and not be embarrassed. I loved it.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh
skosatka-5415414 August 2018
Predictable, light fare, but that is fine if all you want is a mindless, easy-going film. If you want a different, challenging and/or original film, skip this film.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
HI PUPPIE!
giovannibermudezjr24 August 2018
DOG DAYS was very good, but geared toward the "dog lover". It makes you laugh, it makes you cry. The jokes are cheesy, but funny. The serious moments get you Right in The FEELS. It's sweet and leaves you feeling warm and fuzzy inside. Stay for the Mid-Credits blooper reel. I give this a Loud "HI PUPPIIIEEE!" rating. #DogDays #RatedPG #GioseesMovies
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way Better than Expected!!
Neoman196218 August 2018
OK I admit it.....I went to see another movie and saw this was starting as I was leaving so ducked in to catch a few minutes.....stayed the entire time. For a Rom-Com, it was great. I am so happy there were no talking dogs!!! Sweet and touching story how dogs bring people together. Worth going to see.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartwarming, charming movie for dog lovers
huntfor4 March 2019
I love everything about this movie. It has a wonderful story of romance, drama, heartbreak and lots of beautiful dogs.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.