Elsewhere (2019) Poster

(I) (2019)

Absolutely Amazing - Well Worth Watching
kq99910 February 2020
I am shocked that this movie has such a low rating. It is quite different in its tone and the way it plays throughout. Not what one expects from beginning to end...it is more like real life. A full gamut of emotions splashed on the screen in front of you. When it ends I found I just sat quietly with my thoughts.
20 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A nice drama to watch and learn
mvahidalizadeh6 April 2020
This is the story of a loyal mourning husband who can't accept the reality and move on. The story is nice. I learned a lot by watching this movie. The locations are diverse. There are some beautiful locations in nature in the movie. The music in in harmony with the scenes. There is a sense of humor in the story. I recommend this movie to fans of drama and comedy.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ENGAGING, ENTERTAINING AND WORTH WATCHING
oaklep4 February 2020
My wife and ii enjoyed this movie. It was poignant, sad and funny. The acting was good, the protagonist was engaging and the overall cast should be commended for an engaging story of loss and love. We had,no expectations of this movie and that's the best way to approach it. Recommended.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
what a surprise
ops-525356 February 2020
On a gloomy day, between nightshifts, i found this gloryhole of a film called ''elsewhere''. its a short story about loss and found, grief and and love, enemy and friends, and in the end a solution that sooths a grumpy old mans sole, and may lead to a sequel, because lost love may be found again.

story short and compact, some will say foreseeable, but could also have ended in misery, but so it didnt. its filled with warmth and humour, its a colourful voyage through B.C canadian wilderness, accompanied with such a perfect score for the goal of audience and spirits.

the actors do make a fine job letting us into the caracters lives, and makes this primetime low budget movie become a superleague romance featurefilm. dont grump away from this one. highly recommended,its a booster against bad temper.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth Your Time
mcleodjack26 January 2020
First, this is not a comedy. Sure there are a few things that happen that one might find funny, but there's really nothing to laugh about here. This is a serious story about a man who is evicted by his dead girlfriend's parents after she passed two years ago. His struggle to hang on to it and her memory puts him in an interesting situation. The cast top notch. The writing believable. The story unfolds as one would expect. I really enjoyed it.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie!
orcohenofir30 January 2020
I loved the movie, the situation described is something that everyone can feel connected to , the acting is great, and the photoshoot are stunning. There is a good balance of the funny scene and the dramatic scene. and this is definitely something I appreciate in movies.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable movie for eyeryone
rrwcm15 February 2020
Great casting and a enjoyable plot. Hard for me to understand the low ratings.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A warm-hearted movie :)
benoyum11111 February 2020
I watched this movie with my lovely wife and we had such fun time. By the way, my wife's name is Ashy. After the movie ends, I throw her on the moss!
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Very Worthy drama/comedy
dennis-giles675 February 2020
I'm not sure what #psxexperten has been viewing maybe the wrong film ?? Keep ya expectations mid-range and you will enjoy this . Nothing flashy ,a simple enough plot,but great acting,and a great cast. Ignore the haters as we all know "The Haters Gotta Hate" !!
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
more Parker Posey please
ferguson-623 January 2020
Greetings again from the darkness. One of the best things about movies is that there are no rules. Most any story can be told by most any filmmaker in any way they see fit. Some people watch movies for escapism and purely for entertainment purposes, while others are looking for mental and creative stimulation. A separate category of movies would be what I call Lifetime Channel movies, which have been described by a friend as 'melting brain cells faster than open bar night in Baton Rouge.'

Now to clarify, not all 'Lifetime Channel movies' are shown on that particular network. No, it's more of a sub-genre that, when mentioned, is immediately recognizable to most movie lovers. As an example, take this synopsis: A handsome architect builds a seaside cottage for his beloved wife. She dies from a terminal disease, and the man goes into an emotional funk treating the house as a memorial to his wife. After two years, his wealthy in-laws evict him from the house. A spirited divorcee buys the house, and after their initial conflicts, the widower and divorcee hit it off. She brings the house and the widower back to life. All of that is in the trailer, so I haven't spoiled anything.

Heck, I wish there was something to spoil here, but writer-director-editor Hernan Jimenez knows what his audience wants and never leaves the path. He bookends the movie with the husband holding the urn containing the ashes of his deceased wife. We note he is surrounded by the wonder of nature: a forest of majestic trees, a gorgeous waterfall, and the picturesque coastline (filmed in Canada). Bruno is played by Aden Young, and it's clear he has an unhealthy attachment to the house he designed and built on land owned by his wife's parents. They give him two weeks to vacate, and Bruno moves in with his quite supportive parents (Beau Bridges, Jackie Weaver), while his loyal friend played by Ken Jeong is often close by.

Things pick up when Marie (Parker Posey) buys the cottage and hires Bruno as a contractor to bring her visions for the house to life. Of course, Bruno doesn't tell her about his connection to the house, and somehow in this dinky little town where everybody knows everybody, no one else tells her either. As the two develop a relationship, Bruno never loses sight of his goal to get the house back. Marie is a charming and spirited woman who is writing a book on the link between moss and our lives. It's really Marie's outlook on life that makes the movie watchable at all, and in fact, focusing on her character likely would have provided more interesting options for the filmmaker. An even better scenario finds us crossing paths at that Baton Rouge open bar night.
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feels Real
aliceabernathy-7004926 January 2020
I loved this movie. The pain of loss and the process of overcoming all of that. It was touching and relatable. Superb acting. Beautiful location.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Comforting when watch
ks-605007 February 2020
The story itself is nothing complicated and over dramatic. Looking at the life of a man who lost his wife and fight for his property back as a background, then meeting with the new owner and change in his life and comeover the pain and the past. I just like the way how the story was told and it's just right for every single details. The man think the bathroom shouldn't be the way the new owner told him to do but at the end it's better. Be open minded. A small feeling on me after watching this movie.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eerily similar to Sideways
ted-boydston17 January 2021
Do yourself a favor by watching "Sideways" with Paul Giamatti before watching "Elsewhere". I think you'll be surprised with the similar story, music, and even directing. Yes, there are differences, but the overall theme of a depressed guy seeking solace from a severed relationship rings true here...it borders on plagiarism.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
People over 40 will appreciate this movie
andygroznik26 December 2020
If you want to watch a teenage comedy, then you better skip this movie. Very rarely does a film have a story based on real life and that is plausible. A good cast, with the above-average actress Parker Posey, making the whole film even more watchable. Although the ending is not predictable, you will not be disappointed with how it ends.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hidden gem
lyndz75817 October 2020
This heartfelt story is a must see film. Solid acting, beautiful scenery and soundtrack.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great drama with a beautiful mesage
samicp7 May 2020
Loooove it! Hernán Jiménez did such a great job with this film, it totally touched my heart. The acting, the music, the places, everything was amazing. I Enjoyed every second of it. I really think that everybody should see this movie!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad writing and acting
louwambsganss26 January 2021
The acting and dialogue are so bad that it's a distraction. No interaction in the movie feels realistic, or even believable. The story is pointless and unrealistic.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Hidden Gem
tvanbui7 January 2021
What a surprise of a gem! So glad I found it. The acting is top notch.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ok but...
nateso28 February 2021
The story was engaging but try as I might I could not make myself like the sad sack lead. The morose man starts to grate on your nerves early on in the movie. Five stars is the best I could do.
Loved it
darchlight10 February 2021
Very good writing and acting. Funny at times, but poignant and moving. More of this kind of movie please.
Fantastic Movie
tgs-6935817 January 2021
My wife and I just watched this wonderful movie and absolutely loved it. It restored my faith in movies. More and more garbage, filth, political correctness and agendas in movies nowadays. I miss movies like this and hope there are more coming in the future.

A real story about a real man facing real problems. Relatable, charming, sad, funny and real. No agenda, just an interesting story that reminds us that life is hard and there are many struggles, but life can also be very beautiful.

I will recommend this movie to many others. Thank you Hernan Jimenez for this great work!
Love it
reggie66814 December 2020
Watch it. It brings out the best in the actors in it.
Solid, underrated film.
diedaily7715 November 2020
There are a fair number of funny moments, but the film is not at all a comedy so I don't get the hate reviews. I enjoyed the slow pace and delicate handling of the protagonist's attachment to his grief and the resulting complexes and blocks that beset him.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An enjoyable and entertaining comedy drama
MattyGibbs7 October 2020
A man is evicted from the house he shared with his late wife. He resolves to keep it but the new owner throws a spanner in the works.

There is nothing groundbreaking about this film and its fairly predictable however it has a certain charm that keeps you watching. It was more enjoyable than I expected.

It's billed as a comedy and there are plenty of funny moments but it works just as well as a drama. The cast is very strong but Aden Young as the morose widower Bruno really drives it along.

This is a small film but it's always entertaining in a gentle kind of way and well worth watching if you fancy something light hearted to watch.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stay away from this stinker at all cost.
psxexperten28 January 2020
Absolutely silly rubbish, totally absurd and so unrealistic as to be annoying to the extreme. Dont bother. A total waste of my time and money watching this farce of a movie. Garbage acting, Garbage writing, and garbage plot. Everything about this movie is bad, the acting, script, direction, editing... A terrible attempt at making a film. Extremely low budget. All the high scores are from wanker friends of cast and crew!
4 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.