Them That Follow (2019) Poster

Thin. Very Thin.
truemythmedia4 September 2019
This movie trades on its exploration of these snake charming backwoods recluses yet never really grapples with the issues one might think would be present in such a film. Remove the snake handling from this film and it's about as standard a story as you can find with familiar beats of action along the way.

Even this wouldn't bother me if there was character movement but there isn't much to speak of. Our protagonist Dilly (Kaitlyn Dever, "Booksmart") seems to feel the same way at the start of the film as she does until the last 5 minutes or so. Her father, (Walton Goggins, "The Hateful Eight") is extremely one note: domineering. What a waste of an actor. As a cult leader we get none of the likability that should go with his character. He is a monolithic controlling man and nothing else.

We see Dilly struggle because she wants to be with her beau but never do we see what it is that draws her to want to stay in her community except fear. Where is the trust, love, and friendship that she should be so fond of as to not want to leave? Only the sense that she knows nothing else but this and can't even think about leaving for the disruption it would cause.

As a person who has struggled with my faith at various times and has had many conversations with those that have as well and come to very different conclusions than me, I can tell you that leaving a tight knit community like that is rife with fear, certainly, but that fear is mixed up in a myriad of other emotions as well which paralyze you into innaction.

We never see this complicated view. Instead this film opts for simple, cut and dry answers which anyone can get behind. Of course we want her to leave. She's being abused. How much more interesting if her situation was more convoluted, full of love for some people, fear of others, and a fear to leave her own faith behind.

What about the side characters? Why do they stay? They are all under the same oppression as Dilly. They just don't have a boy from the outside who thinks they are cute, I guess?

These ideas and questions all seem to fall by the wayside in service to the almighty point of the film which must be made in the most obvious ways possible lest anyone, least of all Dilly, come away with any other thought than, 'That church was bad. That boyfriend was good."
27 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much more than a thiller. There is love in them thar woods.
donaldjsavage2 March 2019
Great movie. A "slow burn" as some have called it. But, Dan Madison Savage and Britt Poulton (writer/directors) take their time letting you get to know the characters, the community and the Pentecostal offbeat religion in a non judgmental way, allowing the film to emotionally explode in the final 30 minutes. The audience at the Sundance Film Festival premiere were on the edge of their seats with audible gasps. A standing ovation for a good 10 minutes as the credits rolled and the principals were introduced. The snakes can be scary, but religious snake handler religions are real in rural Appalachia. There is some terror but that is not the main theme. It's a love story, a coming of age story and an insight into a real but generally unknown sect, The cast is amazing. including 2019 BEST ACTRESS Oscar winner Olivia Colman, (Incredible. you won't believe it's her .... as a back woods convenience store owner and community matriarch), Walton Goggins, (perfectly casted fire and brimstone preacher), comedian Jim Gaffigan (seriously serious in this flick. In 3 films at Sundance) and Alice Englert (Amazing performance. I don't want to spoil the scenes she endured, and excelled in). Most critics are positive, but a few failed to think about what they were watching and gave up on it too early. TTF was picked up by Orchard (now 1091 Media) for North America and Sony International worldwide. Hoping to see it in theaters this summer. Definitely should be on your watch list. Recently announced release date June 21. 2019
39 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A gripping, visceral movie with great empathy for its characters
moritzmeyerautor25 March 2019
Them that follow starts off as quiet movie, almost a social study of a rural, religious community in the US hinterlands. But right from the beginning you can feel, that there is something dark brooding under the soil of this fragile community. And sure enough, the tension breaks at the end into a visceral finale. When the movie almost turns into body horror, you find yourself at the edge of your seat, begging the characters would stop with their gruesome actions. And while you want to look away, you realize that you just can't. This movie already has gone into your veins like the poison of the rattlesnakes, that play such a prominent role in this community drama. Them that follow portraits the coming-of-age of Mara, the pastor's daughter in a religious community, that seems estranged from civilization. Her father and his religious followers practise an equally strange and dangerous version of christian belief. During the service they deal with deadly poisonous snakes, that they collect in the woods. By handling the snakes, the worshippers put their live in God's hands, with the promise that all sins may be forgiven, if you survive the encounter with the reptiles. Mara does not question this behaviour and her own faith, until she becomes engaged with a young man from the village, while secretly loving another. This love triangle leads to unchristian behaviour and, sure enough, the snakes come into play. Mara finds herself into a position, where she must challenge her own belief to save the man she loves. I saw Them that Follow at South-by-Southwest 2019, not knowing anything about this movie. And I have to say, by the end I was fully gripped. The story, which is based on existing snake handler communities, unfolds slowly, but is rip-roaring at the end. The performances from the young actors are very good and you believe in the relationship of the characters. But it is Olivia Colman and Walter Goggins who stand out in the great cast. It is them, who give this people a heart and soul, by portraying as real people, who care deeply about their loved-ones. They are religious fanatics, but they are not insane. Their actions come from, well, good faith and they have the best intentions for the people, who are close to them. That you feel empathy for these characters is credit to the fabolous actors and the good direction of directors and screenwriters Britt Poulton and Dan Madison Savage. Both have personal experiences with fringe religious groups. Them that follow is an indie-surprise. It is heartfelt, gripping and willing to pull some necessary punches to deliver it's story. Worth a watch!
34 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow
macfaefan10 August 2019
Slow and dull. The acting was good but could do nothing for the poor script. I think it wanted to make the public aware of the snake handling cult churches. The side story was supposed to be about Mara and auggie . Nothing to see there. I just felt nothing with this movie.
21 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It seems to go on forever
mjsreg25 October 2019
This movie is about the standard 90 minutes long but at the 60 minute point I felt like I had watched it for two hours. It dragged on and on.

The story is OK - not that much really happens of much interest. It would have been much more engaging if the story explored the turmoil of the characters in more depth - I did find it very superficial for the most part.

It's not a movie I would watch again.
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Saved By the Third Act
ThomasDrufke24 August 2019
An extremely slow burn about faith, secrets, and nature vs nurture set deep in the Appalachian Mountains? Yeah I'm in. The good news is that the acting is superb, the direction and cinematography are eerie, but the story only begins to get interesting in the third act. And for a film that is merely 98 minutes long, that's not exactly something to write home about. And unfortunately, stories like this won't be seen in masses.

6.3/10
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can't see his plan.
nogodnomasters15 August 2019
This is a slow burn drama about a community of isolated snake handlers. Mara (Alice Englert) is the daughter of "take up the serpent" preacher (Walton Goggins). Like most people, everyone is wrong but them when it comes to religion and they don't understand why the government takes away their poisonous snakes. Mara has issues. She is devoted to her faith. She is pregnant by one boy and marries another without telling anyone. As secrets unravel, the film picks up.

Guide: No F-word. Brief rape. No nudity.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring AF
Wow! that was just terrible. If you like really slow drawn out movies that are extremely boring. This movie is for you..If not..skip this one. You won't regret it.
18 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Basic melodramatic tropes are met but portrait of religious extremism lacks characterological complexity
Turfseer6 August 2019
Fresh from her Oscar win in The Favourite, Oliva Colman is back, this time going "all indie" in the directorial debut of newcomer scenarists Britt Poulton and Dan Madison Savage. Reminiscent of the earlier 2010 Indie, Winter's Bone, Them That Follow also follows a group of rural folks (this time set in Appalachia).

These "folks" are religious fundamentalists with a church run by pastor Lemuel Childs (Walton Goggins). Childs has everyone under his grip including his daughter Mara (Alice Englert), who briefly falls for the young Augie (Thomas Mann), a local auto mechanic, who has grown disillusioned with Childs' Pentecostal church.

Oh one thing I forgot to mention-the church really is a cult in which parishioners test God's power by embracing poisonous snakes. Clandestine meetings are held to avoid scrutiny by local law enforcement with Childs the number one promoter of an "us against them" mentality.

Colman plays Hope Slaughter, Augie's Mom, and she's just about as fanatical as the pastor. Mara is now towing the party line and agrees to an arranged marriage with Childs' hand-picked suitor, the dutiful sycophant Garrett (Lewis Pullman), who soon learns that Mara is pregnant with Augie's child. Eventually the pastor is forced to expel him from the church after he tries to rape Mara, in revenge for her so-called betrayal.

Most unconvincingly, Augie decides to forsake his contempt for the church and agrees to undergo a ritual snake bite ceremony, in order to prove his love for Mara. After being bitten by a snake during the ceremony, Augie falls deathly ill and even his Mom refuses to countenance the idea of taking him to the hospital. She even goes along with the parishioners who end up sawing off Augie's arm in a last ditch attempt to save his life.

Mara finally comes around at film's end, defies her father (who excommunicates her) and drives Augie to the hospital where presumably he'll be cured. Hope by the way also sees the light and realizes that the drive to the hospital is a "good thing."

Them That Follow is a grim story in which all melodramatic tropes are checked off. Augie is the broken victim and deep down Mara is the angel who realizes the error of her ways after being brainwashed by her evil pastor-dad. The script is strictly "black and white" with few shades of gray. Somehow the characters here need to be more complex, with perhaps the bad guys infused with some charm (as well as humanity) and the good ones, a little less angelic.

All performers manage to acquit themselves nicely, especially Colman who once again does well in the intense part as the obsessed "believer." Them that Follow is a bit slow moving with one too many snake handling scenes, which ends up becoming repetitious.

In the end, one wonders how newcomers Poulton and Savage came up with their sensational story and characters of religious extremism; is it based on an article culled from the tabloids? One gets the impression that the screenwriters really only know of their religious fundamentalist characters from a distance, as they are painted too unsympathetically, with little verisimilitude to boot.
17 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Test of Faith
reidandgenene8 April 2019
This is a beautiful and deeply felt look into a small subculture of America, charismatic Christian religious cults which revolve around the handling of poisonous snakes. It is not an exposee -- each person is acting from sincere emotions and beliefs, however misguided they may appear to most of us. For instance, they reject modern medical care, preferring to rely on the Holy Ghost to heal people.

As in 'Witness' years ago, the cohesion of the group is the predominant factor in all aspects of the lives of its members. The story focuses on the daughter of the charismatic preacher. She is a strong believer, and yet is attracted to a youth who has rejected the religion.

The movie is superbly acted, with Oscar winner Olivia Colman, the always memorable Walton Goggins as the preacher, and Kaitlyn Devers from the TV show 'Justified'.
19 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible, just horrible
dussaultjulien3 November 2019
This has to be one of the worst movies I've seen this year. It is a total waste of time. Somehow I managed to finish it because I thought maybe, just maybe it might get good, but nope.

Shake Worshiping Christians arw whack, we all know that. The only good thing about this movie is that it shows a Hollywood side of it that is shocking, but when the story isn't written well, and the actors try their best, sometimes a little too hard, it really makes for both bad filmmaking and story writing.

This is a total waste of time. Don't believe the reviews that say about it picking up in the third act.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Religion and their lunatic followers, it's always kinda entertaining.
deloudelouvain2 November 2019
Going by the title I thought I would watch a horror movie but it turns out to be a movie about God worshipping lunatics. So all in all it actually turns out to be a horror movie, or at least to me, as I'm a convinced atheist and there's nothing more disturbing to me than religion, any kind of religion. That being said you get the picture, it isn't a horror movie, but it's a watchable movie, a movie I did enjoy as I always have a fascination for watching crazy people. The story could be unreal to a normal sain person but the fact that this happens sometimes makes it interesting to watch. The cast wasn't bad either so that's a bonus.
9 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Snoozer
ixtasis12 August 2019
Boring story. Nothing happens that you don't expect. I hate snakes. Exploits worst aspects of religious thinking.
17 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The actors are good but story line, plot, most of dialogue and pacing are horrible
random-7077822 October 2019
The first 2/3 of this film are very slow paced, interminable burden on the viewer. The last 1/3 is a series of predictable jump scares and tropes. They are shallow and silly, but I guess the point of the first 2/3 is to put you in such a torpor that you fall for the jump scares.

The acting is not bad at all. But over all this just fails on several core levels due to script pacing and hamfisted directing.
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The story try to express ......
ks-605006 November 2019
Storyline is boring, very boring. The ritual thing is lame and showing bunch of morons existed. What the point of making this movie? It's terrible and waste of time to watch. Rate 3 as some standard of a movie been attained there.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extremely Boring!
Andreea9528 October 2019
Nothing makes me angrier than wasting my time watching a movie where nothing ever happens. If you're like me than I suggest you skip watching this piece of nothing. Everything was boring about this movie: the acting, the writing, the soundtrack, the cinematography and not to mention the story (which is about a group of religious people who do weird stuff in the name of God) that has been done a lot of times and much much better. Don't waste your time or your money watching this.
9 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
POORLY WRITTEN FIRST HALF BUT WORTH A LOOK
jmholmes-7372728 August 2019
No need for a story line that turns out to be so simple to be so confusingly presented in the first half. Aren't writers taught how to convey relationships in the form of dialog to help the audience follow the action any more? This problem almost sinks the movie, until after a while when it does become coherent. Last half hour or so is quite terrifying as you realize the extent of the family's commitment to their insane (there is no other word) religious beliefs. The performances, especially by Olivia Coleman and the actor who plays the preacher, are first rate. A low budget version of the similar idea in the recent MIDSOMMAR, though not nearly as effective.
8 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great performances
almiraomerovic5 December 2019
It's not exactly a fun movie and the story isn't groundbreaking. But the characters and the atmosphere overtake those shortcomings.

In this congregation, you prove your devotion by having Lemuel place a rattlesnake on you. If it doesn't bite you, you're pure. If it does, well, too bad for you. Lemuel doesn't allow medical treatment, only prayer - if your sin is poisonous, like the venom, it will kill you.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A near miss but worth seeing
Dcamplisson16 August 2019
This was a fascinating look at one manifestation of Protestantism and what happens when people Mistake a slice of pizza for the whole pie. Fixated on one verse of the Bible and having no intellectual tradition whatsoever, this group focuses on snake handling and slurping up poison. This could easily be just a mocking piece, but it gets beyond that. The pastor is indeed not too swift, but is not shown as a cult leader or tyrant. Just a bully and an educated man.

The film however does a very good job of showing the community, who basically are in educated hillbillies, with empathy and understanding. It also shows how ultimately humanity comes out even when their lives are layered in piles of ignorance. When crucial decisions need to be made, Humanity trumps misguided slavishness. One inexplicably missing element is Their liturgy. It is the most interesting thing about this group ( maybe the only interesting thing, without which there no different from thousands of other Protestant groups) is their liturgy. But there's only a tiny bit, which is treated artistically , rather than being served up raw. Having a stark presentation of the snake handling routine might have been more effective. It's very odd That there's very little of that visceral liturgy. . It would really Have been much better if there was a lot more liturgy so the viewer could understand more what the attraction is. The cast do a good job steering clear of cliche and stereotyping. They are able to look comfortable in the grumpy clothes and dilapidated buildings without becoming " other". Overall it was very interesting and entertaining although 4 more minutes swinging an anaconda would be added a star
7 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Coming-of-Age drama of faith
trinaboice5 August 2019
IN A NUTSHELL:

This "slow burn" thriller is also a coming-of-age story of a young woman whose family belongs to a religious group that uses snakes in their worship. Dan Madison Savage and Britt Poulton are the writers and directors of this thought-provoking drama that respectfully presents a Christian sect and sub-culture that very few people have been exposed to. It earned a 10-minute standing ovation when it premiered at the Sundance Film Festival.

Like a poisonous snake, this movie will bite you in the brain and heart. If you don't like snakes, don't watch this movie!

TIPS FOR PARENTS:

An unmarried woman pees on the ground to take a pregnancy test. Someone gets bit by a snake, cuts the bloody skin, and sucks out the venom. Someone gets his arm sawed off. Thankfully, you don't have to see it in detail, but you know it's happening. Pre-marital "relations." People put a snake on them to show their faith. If you see this movie with your children, please talk to them about "safe" ways to show our faith.

THEMES:

"We all got our sins, don't we?" - Hope (Olivia Coleman) "Who you choose, girl, chooses your whole life." - Hope "You need someone to see the truth even when you don't." - Hope

THINGS I LIKED:

Olivia Colman is outstanding, but that's no surprise since she won the 2019 Academy Award for Best Actress for her role in The Favourite. What is surprising is how she has transformed into a backwoods store owner and community matriarch with a southern twang. She's amazing. Walton Goggins is the perfect southern pastor in his role as Lemuel. He's creepy and sincere at the same time. Australian actress Alice Englert gives a subtle but powerful performance. Kaitlyn Dever was great in Booksmart although I hated that movie. You can read my movie review of Booksmart here. Her character is the polar opposite in this movie, attesting to her talent. The movie was filmed in Youngstown and Salem, Ohio although the story is supposed to take place in Appalachia. I love symbolism. The snakes in this movie are real, but they also represent the first "sin" of Adam and Eve., as well as being deceived.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE:

This is not everyone's cup of tea. Many will say that nothing really happens and that it's boring. It's always a bit odd to see comedian Jim Gaffigan in dramatic movies. I absolutely love his stand-up comedy specials. The first time I saw him in a drama was in the movie Chappaquiddick. I'm not saying he doesn't do a good job in dramas. He does. It always just throws me off. Good for him for being such a versatile performer. No humor at all. So much time was spent on the characters and yet we still didn't know that much about them in the end. It seemed like so much more could have been done to play with symbolism and/or explore the religion on a deeper level. Because of the presence of Oscar-winning Olivia Coleman, I expected the movie to be really fantastic. It was good, but not as phenomenal as I had hoped.
8 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real people real story
nealkattman7 November 2019
Maybe put aside any sort of religious faith you may have if you have any. Watch this story with an open and clear mind. A predetermined opinion isn't fair to the production or the audience. But if you are a person of faith and find it difficult to simply forget it, especially while watching a film that embodies it, you will be captivated by "Them that follow"

I'm not a church going fellow, but I am well acquainted with more than a few Evangelical Christians. Relatives of mine and good friends who share many of the beliefs of the characters in this movie. So I had some insight into the plot even though I hadn't seen a trailer or read a synopsis.

The glaring difference between these characters and the people who I know personally is what gives me reason to doubt the sanity of the sect of humanity depicted in the film. As well as give my utmost respect to the people in my hometown. But it's also what made the movie so compelling.

Trust in the Lord all you want. Pray outbloud and preach fire and brimstone all you want too. But when a perfectly healthy man suddenly finds himself at deaths door due to the unnecessary practice of handling a poisonous reptile. I will call you what you are...DAMN CRAZY. When medical help is a short drive away and will almost certainly save the man from dyeing. Yet everyone except the dyeing man refuses to doubt Devine intervention and feels prayer is all he needs...YOU'RE DAMN CRAZY. This doesn't make me dislike the story or the subject matter. Just because you don't agree with a mindset doesn't mean it's not interesting. The Pentecostal folks I know don't come close to these folks in that aspect. They WILL seek medical intention if need be and they shoot snakes... They don't dance with them. They aren't this fanatical. While unmistakably accurate in its depiction of a certain type of humanity, the movie may present an unwarranted and flawed view of Evangelical Christianity as a whole. Not a lot unlike the ongoing debate concerning Muslim extremism and terrorism. I read other users reviews and understood the negativity of those who didn't like it. This isn't your type of movie. This isn't anything you can or will try to relate to. That's your perogitive. But when a written work can be portrayed so perfectly on screen by people who were as unfamiliar with this life as anyone is true craftsmanship in my book.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is just plain wrong
zacharykieler16 December 2019
I have been handling snakes for 35 years and I can tell you that belief in God has nothing to do with whether you get bitten or not. This movie was very frustrating. Assuming they were handeling Timber Rattlesnakes and that it had Type B venom, (judging by wounds and geography) just praying is not going to work. They need a medical doctor so they can inject ant-venom. Handeling snakes is not a religon.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A slow burn lol
marshy-9197224 November 2019
Talk about a slow burn!!! Its possibly the most boring film i have seen over the last 5 years!!! Basically about a love triangle with a girl and 2 boys, he gets bitten by a snake, gets his arm chopped off and she takes him up to the mountains away from a cult group the end, this film was a drab nights viewing im gutted iv paid £7 to see it jesus christ!!!
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Know your snake
cappiethadog17 August 2019
Lemeul Childs(Walter Goggins), the spiritual leader of an obscure Pentecostal sect, never read the famous Gertrude Stein quote: "A rose is just a rose." "Them That Follow", the debut film by Britt Poulton and Dan Madison Savage, brings the war on science to its own backyard, the Appalachian Mountains, where the congregants of a snake cult are sometimes killed by friendly fire. A snake is just a snake, but these provincial fundamentalists believe that the cobra is the devil. God's murmurings is a repellant. If the parishioners hear the Holy Ghost calling, the slithering reptile draped over their bodies won't bite. At a night service, Augie(Thomas), the small community's agnostic outlier, lies about having caught the spirit's voice on the mountain airwave, and volunteers as a subject for their seemingly "Fear Factor"-inspired service ritual, Alas, the snake bites. His mother, Hope Slaughter(Olivia Colman) believes that the cobra's strike is proof-positive that devil resides in his loins. The snake smells premarital sex. Augie and the minister's daughter are having a baby out of wedlock, and worse, Maura(Alice Engert) is engaged to Garrett(Lewis Pullman), the minister's protege. Augie's bad fortune worsens when his parents and the community follow the tenets of the church. They categorically dismiss the expertise of trained physicians and the healing exactitude of medicine. That's the way of the secularist; that's not the Minister Lemeul Childs' way. The mother hopes for a miracle, an answered prayer, even as her son's arm begins to shapeshift and discolor. Maura, likewise, is no different than her people, succumbing to the same cult of personality; her dad, the theocratic absolutist, and dismisses Augie's plea for a prosaic course of action; a ride to the hospital. Instead of fetching daddy's keys to the truck, Maura prays at Augie's bedside, fighting an abstract enemy with an abstract weapon. Since Augie bore false witness, lying about having heard the Holy Ghost, Maura follows the logic of her sectarian programming, reasoning that the snake bit him because there was no internalized opponent, Satan's arch-enemy, to deter and repel the cobra from striking. But slowly, very slowly, the minister's daughter catches on. She rebels against the man-made world laid down by a false prophet.

"You changed the platform-processing question," Helen(Laura Dern), a charter member of "The Cause", points out to Walter Dobbs(Phillip Seymour Hoffman), the author/cult leader in Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master". To Helen, "The Split Saber" is a holy book, not a collation of bounded gobbledygook that a skeptic would characterize as hogwash. The change in rhetoric from "Can you recall?" to "Can you imagine?" throws the society lady's faith in disarray, because to her, "the process" is sacrosanct. The master has some explaining to do. But you never, ever, challenge a demagogue, especially a self-aware mountebank who believes his own lies. "What do you want?!" the master erupts, so that the whole book party can hear, and ignore. Aghast, the femme philanthropist, reeling from her guru's monstrous outburst, comprehends for the first time the folly of "The Cause", and realizes that she's been brainwashed by a charismatic didacticist. The audience can only hope that some mainstream denomination, or science, with its properties of empiricism, fills up the vacuum in her life. Outside the cult, Helen recognizes the absurdity of Walter Dobbs' unfettered claim that a life-threatening disease such as leukemia can be cured by the discovery of the afflicted person's past lives. Time-travel is science fiction, not science fact. At a group meeting, hosted by Helen during the salad days, an investigative journalist calls out the master for his trespass over the laws of physics. In actuality, he presses Walter Dobbs, certain forms of cancer can't be nipped in the bud from a host body, the former "you" by rolling back the years, psychically. But Walter Dobbs gets people to drink the Kool-Aid, a toxiferous moonshine that Freddie Quell(Joaquin Phoenix), his right-hand man, makes out of alcohol and other eclectic ingredients such as paint thinner and hydrochloric acid.

Maura stops drinking the Kool-Aid. Her father, she realizes, acts not as a facilitator of God, but as God in the flesh, with unchecked power over his flock. Maura decides: I'm not a sheep. You can't pull the wool over the little lamb's eyes anymore. A cult, as all liberated women come to realize, is just a tool men use to subjugate females, the "weaker" sex. When first Garrett, and then her father, acting both in the capacity of a church official and parent, forbids Maura from visiting Augie, she comes to understand, an epiphany, that the higher love is human love, a love that's self-empirical and easy to prove. During the time it takes to fill a small tub with tap water, unlace a seated man's boots, roll down his socks, and wiped down feet with a washcloth, Maura, the true believer, becomes a born again secularist. "There are limits to what I'll do", she tells Garrett. She was not put on earth to worship man. Maura does not need a master. There is no need for her to stand in judgment of the Minister Lemeul Childs, her daddy. "It's time to get clean, girl," the snake oil salesman tells Maura, putting his personal superstitions to the test by enswathing a cobra around her neck. The snake doesn't strike. It dawns on her, finally, the fallacy of her faith. The Pentecostal cultists that get bitten are just not proficient snake handlers. There is no such thing as sin. Love is good. Love makes you brave.

Rae Dolly(Jennifer Lawrence) lives in the Ozarks. She wants to come down the mountain, an off-road oblivion where a young girl of seventeen will either end up pregnant, or succumb to the countryside crank industry that transforms rural Missouri into it's urban counterpart's shadow. But Rae has baggage. Her mother is afflicted with catatonia, a permanent state most likely attributed to drugs, and a brood, Ashlee(Ashlee Thompson) and Sonny(Isiah Stone), who grow up around impoverishment that is unfathomable. Rae, an army dreamer, won't make it down the mountain. Joining the armed forces was a pipe dream. But maybe the next generation of Dollys can. To ensure her ward a future that doesn't involve the preparation of dead squirrels for meat, Rae follows Merab(Dale Dickey), who doesn't need to don a hand-sewn mask of human skin or yank the pullcord on a chainsaw to scare Rae, because the leather-faced woman with the flinty eyes know where all the bodies are buried.Thump Milton(Ronnie Hall), the crystal meth kingpin, had Rae's father killed. Merab and her sister drive the army dreamer to the swamp, where "The Missouri Handsaw Post-Mortem Vivisection" takes place. Now Rae has her father's hands, the proof of death she needs to pay off the bail bonds that he tied to their ancestral home. In that forlorn rowboat, after the foggy lake is silent again, the audience glimpses what the tiny Ozarks community was like before profit margin took precedence over life. Through gesture, not words, Merab gives Rae her heavy coat for protection against the cold, suggesting a sisterhood that was there all along, made obscure by the hegemony of an all-powerful man, a snake in the bluegrass.
5 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie Review Profits
rachelrose-873568 August 2019
Play Them That Follow! It is fast and easy to view! A good way to spend your time. Be the best!
6 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.