Svaha: The Sixth Finger (2019) Poster

Compelling
Leofwine_draca2 June 2019
I'm not a huge fan of religion in the movies; it usually results in something dry and unwieldy, more polemic than entertainment. However, SVAHA: THE SIXTH FINGER is something else besides. Coming across in essence as a Korean version of THE OMEN, this is compelling viewing indeed: thought-provoking, engrossing, and highly literate with it. The story in an essence is about a fraud-busting private sleuth who finds himself investigating a world-ending prophecy, hunting for an apparently dead Buddhist priest and others caught up in a life-or-death struggle against the forces of evil.

This is a gorgeous-looking movie, once more made with excellent cinematography, editing, you name it. The cast don't put a foot wrong while the detective story layers in plenty of context, subtext and exposition in a way which is never less than engaging. There are twists and turns throughout, decent character development, and only the occasional reliance on CGI spook scares. It's the kind of mature storytelling that the Koreans do so expertly.
29 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overall, a good movie
xianhasan19 May 2019
Pastor Park is infamous for his debunking attitude towards religious stigma, cult belief, its bad practices and how it exploits the mind of general people of a society. It ultimately led him to a cult religious group called Deer Mount which happened to be related to lot of murders of young children who were born in 1999.

This film had "The Wailing (2016)" vibe from the beginning for some reason. Story focuses on specific people only. It had a huge potential to work and build some other characters. Only problem of this film is it lacks a good continuation of some characters that they introduced in the movie, completely drops them later as if they don't exist. I wanted to see police and Pastor Park working together.

Jae-hyun Jang is still young and a toddler among other veteran directors. Writers were inexperienced also. What I liked is, I saw they are hard working people; writers, directors..everyone. It shows that they tried their best to make it happen. It's not too long that there will be some good and great masterpiece from them after right amount of experience they achieve.

I have 0 complain about the actors. All did their parts professionally. This is what I like about Korean Film industry, the actors are super veteran when it comes to acting and you won't find anything to complain.

Ending was satisfying. Final 20 minutes of the film is really does the magic, it literally revived the whole film. I really like some of the symbolic messages they conveyed via Dogs, Elephant and Bird; is pure gold attached to Babylonian mythology. Kudos to director and writers for portraying it in such mysterious way.

Cinematography was average. Too many cuts and angle changes in some of the shots. In films like such as this one, it is best to keep a shot as long as possible since sudden cuts and angle change can and will kill some important momentum and it did for this movie.

Overall, really liked the film. I will give it 7. Don't know why it is so low in rating but definitely not a low six film.
21 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good korean movie
divg-57-8000544 June 2019
You need to have some knowledge about Buddhism to understand the movie, words like samsara,dharma,nirvana, lamaism, etc. Overall the movie is interesting and has a good mysterious atmosphere. Something refeshing for the genre, but this was maybe because im from west. If you are from East maybe you will be already familiarized. I give 7/10 but im biased so i gave it 8.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Engaging, mind provoking & breath of fresh air since Wailing.
azbayarz7 June 2019
I have pretty high standards in my media and when it comes to horror which is my favorite genre I usually compare it to classics like Alien, Exorcist & The Thing. If those 3 film's are 10/10 this one would be 7/10. I watched it like a week ago so I'm not sure about the details but at the moment the

Plot was engaging, Pacing didnt had any issues, Directing, Editing & Acting was good, Overall I didnt had any issue with technical stuff of the film making.

However the main character was plot device so it felt like they were no real Main character. But weirdly I liked this, because it felt like Dunkrik with plot as a main character.

Also this was really polarizng film with religious belief. So those bad reviews might have something to do with this. I really dont think this film deserves 6.3/10. It should be atleast 7/10.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Complex and Interesting
gjcannon-7314927 June 2019
First of all, I really liked the cinematography, lighting, all the things we take for granted in a well-made film that are so obviously missing in a poor film. One shot was like a Dutch Old Master painting, you may spot it. The plot is rather complicated in following the work of an academic debunker of cults and the charlatans who mean to profit, or worse, through manipulation of followers. There is a weird mix of Buddhist and Christian influences in Korean culture which might puzzle viewers in the West like me, but it is worth paying attention and sticking with the story.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie!!
angelavalesua4 June 2019
I don't understand why this movie has bad reviews. It was entertaining and good effects! I'll watch it again.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Messy
Foutainoflife11 June 2019
This is would be much better if it weren't so messy. The plot is interesting, camera work is good, actors were decent and the effects were ok. For me, there are problems.

There are times where I almost felt that I was watching four different stories. Story one is about a girl and her twin sister, who is a demon or evil. Story two is about a cop who is working a murder case. Story three is about a group of boys who were sent to juvie for various reasons and came out on a mission. And, story four is about a pastor who investigates cults.

It isn't unusual to have several storylines that are interlaced and this one is but it has been done in an odd way. There are characters who are introduced but we see very little of them throughout the film. It is also a bit convoluted when it came to giving a clear understanding about all that was going on but I will be fair in saying that I was watching the film with subtitles and some things may have been lost in translation.

This is marketed as a horror film but it felt like a thriller to me. I watch a lot of horror though and I may be somewhat desensitized. Nothing about it every really rose to a level of horror. Creepy. Maybe. Not horror though.

It isn't a terrible movie. It was hard to follow.
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a mystery
firout6 June 2019
I think the director did a pretty decent job at building up the story, even though it was pretty slow. also, the end was quite exciting, even though it had no explanation whatsoever about further inquiries in the storyline. cinematography was ok, actors were good. a pretty recent movie i say.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good movie!
miltonbiagioni21 June 2019
The acting, the music and the script really good, it moves forward a bit slow but the suspense is well balances and it keeps you engaged the 2 hours. Great finale. I do recommend it.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unfortunately rather boring
mstr_bond21 August 2019
I wanted to like it but ended up just being bored. The atmosphere of the movie starts out great, it creates a really dark and mysterious canvas. But unfortunately it doesn't manage to build any suspense and the story ends up being rather uninteresting.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Garbled mess
WVfilmfem30 May 2019
I love Korean films, follow the ones which have high ratings, watch many more than once. Maybe I should try watching this one again. But this was a garbled mess, and hard, if not impossible to follow.
15 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So boring it will make you fall asleep...
paul_haakonsen4 June 2019
Of course I had to watch "Svaha: The Sixth Finger" when I found it on Netflix, given the fact that it is a South Korean movie. Plus, the synopsis for the movie made it sound rather interesting.

However, the truth was far from this fact. Because "Svaha: The Sixth Finger" was most definitely not interesting. It was unfathomably slow paced and tedious. In fact, the pacing of the movie dragged down the overall enjoyment to the point where it was becoming a pain in the you-know-what to sit there and witness on the screen. And the fact that the character gallery was essentially as interesting as wet cardboard didn't really help to improve either.

I have no idea what director Jae-hyun Jang was trying to accomplish with this movie, because it was pure torture to sit through. I ended up turning off this stinking heap of a movie halfway through, out of sheer and complete boredom, and having absolutely no interest in any of the characters whatsoever.

Not even with the likes of Jung-jae Lee in the movie, was it possible to salvage this movie that sank faster than even Titanic.

It should be said that the production value to the movie was good. And that at least counts for something. But weighed against a so slowed pace that it felt like the movie was going in reverse, pointless characters and a frightfully lack of proper storyline, then good production only serves so little.

I have no interest of returning to finish this boring movie, because there seriously was nothing worth of any kind for me here. It was sheer and pure boredom in its purest form.
12 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thi is a movie that has great dynamics
sixxties02074 August 2019
It is not necessary to have great knowledge of budhism or ancient religions. You need to pay attention and watch a great story been told. Old mythology is blended with modern day actions and people. Not a gore movie, but with high class. It is a terror/intrigue film. It is so refreshing to get out of stupid movies with murdering people shown on screen!
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meaningless
hm-firstlady2 June 2019
I don't know what I watched or what this movie is about... Plus, that 'Muslim' part was unnecessary.
11 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect
mishalmohdali5 September 2019
Koreans answer to davinci code One of the best korean mystery thrillers It has horror,suspense,a good story and keeps you in the mood
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting
nurhasnaazizah23 June 2019
This is movie was very interesting for me because the plot twist was unexpected
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not what I had expected !
bidurlee24 June 2019
I know it's just a movie .But it's not relevant to spiritual side of Buddhism . To the contrary, it tries to portray darker image of some aspects of Buddhism . At times , it felt like it was produced by groups of people with strong belief systems and cognitive dissonance .
2 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nonchalant animal cruelty
andreaswae22 December 2019
I found this movie quite boring. After only 50 minutes had passed, it felt like at least 2 hours had passed. But my biggest issue with this film, is how people can be all pious, yet still not raise an eyebrow of rows of dogs in small cages.
1 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Double attack
qxxqwww9 January 2020
With the growing Muslim population in Korea, why should the hero touch the passion of his story of the Muslim child in Africa?
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mesmerising and intriguing. Excellent
andrewbeswickdesign10 November 2019
Really enjoyed this movie, it's mystery and slow building plot lines. Complex in areas and with a dark undercurrent and investigator finds a connection with religious cults and disappearing. Korean cinema has produced yer another good movie here.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.