Joker (2019) Poster

(I) (2019)

9,993 Reviews
Not a spoon feeding of CGI fueled faux drama.
brianmlucas5 October 2019
The movie affects you in a way that makes it physically painful to experience, but in a good way.
928 out of 1,386 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is it great? I don't know.
ernestoherreraf25 October 2019
When I heard everyone saying that this is the film of the year and all the reviews flooding in with 10's, I was quite hyped and excited for this movie. When I walked out of the cinema, I felt hollow and empty.

Before I continue writing, let me say this, This is NOT the film of the year nor is it a real masterpiece. The cinematography is excellent and the acting is incredible, that's just it. The side-characters are bland and overly dramatic. The plot heavily relies on plot-twists and the film is so harsh that it actually falls flat on it's face.

Are there no good points though? Phoenix is phenomenal and the score is great. The cinematography is also incredible but the plot is not that great at all. It even has plot holes and scenes that left me empty.

Film of the year? Nope.
603 out of 935 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect in every aspect.
Aman_Goyal1 September 2019
Truly a masterpiece, The Best Hollywood film of 2019, one of the Best films of the decade... And truly the Best film to bring a comic book so chillingly and realistically to real ife. Remarkable Direction, Cinematography, Music and the Acting. Some people are surprised to find it DISTURBING and VIOLENT, but it's a necessity and message. It's about society and reflects those underappreciated/unrecognized/bullied people, proving they can do something too. The way it shows class difference, corruption and how rich and talented rule others around them is not exaggerated and that's what makes it different. It's BELIEVABLE. There could be multiple JOKERs living in our society that could shake those around them in much bitter way than the film shows making people uncomforting people. Consider this a wake up call, a message, but first a film. A PERFECT film.
3,090 out of 4,006 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A psychological study, rather than a superhero flick
Come-and-Review1 September 2019
I have seen Joker yesterday at Venice an early ill-fated screening. We had some trouble with audio that lead to a near-hour delay, but it definitely was worth it.

Joker deserved to be presented at Venice Film Festival, an event that regards cinema as a form of art, because this film is far from a blockbuster or a mere entertainer movie, as most films in the genre are.

It focuses on the psyche of the main character, as it slowly crumbles under the pressure of society. And thus, Joaquin Phoenix does a wonderful performance, earning almost surely a nomination at the oscars at least. It's a take on the Joker that differs from Ledger's, but I'd say that both are equally as good. The main difference might be that Ledger's joker is a rational that acts insane, while Phoenix's is insane to the root.

Despite being a movie about a superhero villain, Joker is much superior to most of the movies of the genre (I'd exclude the Dark Knight Trilogy only, but Joker is easily as good as Nolan's movies, or at least very close). It is a small-scaled film, with a distinct style and cinematography (that cannot but be appreciated) and a set of very cinephile references that however do not feel too forced or overly opressive. (most notable are the similarities to Scorsese's 'Taxi Driver' and his 'The King of Comedy', but also Chaplin's 'Modern Times' is somewhat referenced).

I am eager to see more non-comedic efforts by Todd Phillips. This movie was so far probably the best of 2019 (at worst contested so far only by Dolor Y Gloria or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood), and that should be very convincing.
1,553 out of 2,140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Went for a second time to watch
mariamelkott3 October 2019
I get why some people hate this . It's because of the political message and how some people think that you need get empathy for Arthur's madness. But come on that is not the point and it will never be. Enjoy this masterpiece because Joaquin Phoenix and Todd Phillips overdid themselves with this movie . The acting,music and cinematography are just amazing ! Please enjoy the movie without overthinking it.
1,818 out of 2,487 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
JUST AMAZING. How does this movie exist.
VallejoDiego4 October 2019
Let me start off by saying if Joaquin Phoneix doesn't get his Oscar for this movie. Then the Oscars should be cancelled. Phoneix is amazing as you might've heard from every review ever! But Todd Phillips. Is at his best here. The story lines he takes and visuals are just breathtaking. The score!! Omg the Score! Every time that score came on, I felt very uncomfortable, like something horrible was about to happen. It was GREAT. The Inspirations from Taxi Driver and King of Comedy are there, and add so much for the movie. And I got to be honest. There are scenes that are very violent. And its disturbing. But I honestly expected it to be WAYYYY more violent from all the controversy going on. Overall this movie was GREAT. Come Oscar season, it needs to be nominated for Best Picture, ScreenPlay, Cinematography, Actor, Score and Director
1,932 out of 2,587 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding movie with a haunting performance and best character development ever seen
MihaVrhunc3 October 2019
Every once in a while a movie comes, that truly makes an impact. Joaquin's performance and scenography in all it's brilliance. Grotesque, haunting and cringy. Hard to watch at times,... but so mesmerizing, you won't blink an eye watching it. Tragic, but with seriously funny moments. Emotional rollercoaster - sometimes, with multiple emotions popping-up at the same time.

this is far from a typical action-riddled predictable super-hero movie - it's a proper psychological thriller/drama, with the single best character development I have ever seen.
3,502 out of 4,335 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Only certain people can relate
lesterarnoldpinto7 October 2019
This is a movie that only those who have felt alone and isolated can truly relate to it. You understand the motive and you feel sorry for the character. A lot of people will see this movie and think that it encourages violence. But truly, this movie should encourage each and every one of us to become a better person, treat everyone with respect and make each other feel like they belong in this world, instead of making them feel isolated.
3,352 out of 4,255 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joaquin 'OSCAR', Joker = best Dark suspense thriller ... Darker than dark Knight.
johnnash-184201 September 2019
It's sad that Joaquin missed Oscar for 'The gladiator' as he was very compelling Villain. But I am quite confident he will win it for the 'Joker'. Damn what a movie !!! Keeps u on the toes all the time. Unpredictable storyline and really a deep interesting plot. Did I forget to mention acting ? Damn Do niro and Joaquin teach u what really is 5 star acting. To enjoy this movie, get a wine in your hand, close the curtains, turn of ur cellphones and put do not disturb sign on ur door. Best Dark thriller suspense movie you will get to experience.
1,516 out of 2,144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yikes. THIS is people's "best movie ever"?
horrorgasm14 January 2020
The recurring themes of so many of the 10 star reviews here should tell you a lot about this movie and its audience. If you can't get through a movie review without tossing in one or more claims that "THIS movie is so much better and smarter than YOUR superhero movie" (or even basing your entire review around this premise), then I hate to break it to you, but kid, you're nowhere near as intelligent and grown up as you think you are. This "my comic publisher is better than yours" BS should have been left behind on your grade school playground, it has absolutely no relevance to the quality of this movie, and your opinion of this movie should be considered highly suspect if you're in this group.

I gotta say, if this movie was also your idea of the most perfect film ever made, you really need to get out more. Look, I get it. If you live in a safe little box where all you watch are superhero movies and mainstream blockbusters then I understand how exposure to themes like this for the first time would seem new and exciting to you, and I think we can all agree that this is probably the best DC Comics related movie in the last decade or so (though that's not a high bar to meet) and of course Joaquin Phoenix is a very talented actor, but stop and take a step back and look at this thing.

Joker does indeed present a theme that is of importance to our society, that of the neglect and demonizing of the mentally ill to a degree that sometimes creates monsters which everyone around them should have seen coming a mile away if they hadn't been too busy looking away to avoid feeling uncomfortable. Unfortunately, reminding us all of the fact that this situation still exists is all this movie really has to say. It dances around important subjects like "HEY KIDS, CLASS INEQUALITY!", but then never offers any actual insight into them, usually because it's too busy making forced Batman references or dropping cringey little edgy moments like the "Don't smile" sign scene which seem to have been designed solely to have something for Hot Topic to print a new t-shirt of. Between that and every single plot twist being telegraphed so very far in advance because a lot of us have seen all these exact same twists so very many times before, I just wasn't impressed.

Perhaps if this had been an actual stand-alone movie of its own instead of being shackled by its completely unnecessary ties to the Batman universe it could have done something more interesting with its themes. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem with superhero movies, but it just feels so gratuitous here, as if someone came up with this idea, pitched it to an executive, and was told "sounds great, but can you make it a Batman movie somehow?", and I'm sorry, but I'm just not into a movie trying to tell me a half-hearted, yet dead-serious speech about mental illness in modern society while simultaneously constantly reminding me that it's technically a superhero movie because $$$
478 out of 813 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OMG - Am I getting old or are people getting more stupid
HakuMashentay2 November 2019
I was so hyped up to see this movie, loved the trailer, only movie I have wanted to watch in the cinema for a very long time.

I watched it and was bored. the aesthetics were amazing, music was good, story and execution was meh. the performance of the joker was a good performance but people raving about this are driving me mad. either you have not seen many movies or I have seen too many.

this movie was bang average and was actually boring. I was actually thinking about leaving half way through as I was bored out of my mind.

I do not regret watching it but it is being so overhyped that I am so confused right now. I think it had a good premise but could have been so much more, so much more.

Signs of a great movie is the repeat viewing of it or it moving you, joker did not move me whatsoever and I would not watch it again.

I thought maybe people are getting paid to write good review but have actually met people who think it is the best movie ever.... OMGGG

This movie is bang average and way overhyped.

phoenix performance is good but as the story and execution is so bad, I feel he never even touched the higher spectrum of performance he could have with the character.

I have experienced and seen worse in my life, if this made you feel, you are (i hate this word but have to use it) a snowflake. Please get off social media and live life.

there is a real world out there.
742 out of 1,243 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's About a Man
Hitchcoc7 March 2020
While I've watched many of the superhero movies that have come down the pike, they are often the same. So the compensation for sensational plots involves great special effects and non-stop action. They are fun and I don't mean to dis them. What is missing is a truly psychological drama. We don't get into the heads of the characters. This film is incredible as we watch a man confront his demons. We see him made fun of, attacked, and beaten. When he responds, he is seen as crazy. He also find that he is diminished in the eye of a counselor, and his mother has kept a secret. I thought it gave us a foundation for the Batman mythos without getting to deeply into it. Acting, atmosphere, and a sophisticated plot makes this a really excellent film.
107 out of 155 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MASTERPIECE 😍
logical_guy1 September 2019
Joaquin Phoenix gives a tour de force performance, fearless and stunning in its emotional depth and physicality. It's impossible to talk about this without referencing Heath Ledger's Oscar-winning performance from The Dark Knight, widely considered the definitive live-action portrayal of the Joker, so let's talk about it. The fact is, everyone is going to be stunned by what Phoenix accomplishes, because it's what many thought impossible - a portrayal that matches and potentially exceeds that of The Dark Knight's Clown Prince of Crime
2,558 out of 3,356 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joker > Endgame
burkholdermicah2 September 2019
Need I say more? Everything about this Movie is Masterful in every single way! Joker isn't just an awesome comic book movie, it's an awesome movie, period. It offers no easy answers to the unsettling questions it raises about a cruel society in decline. Joaquin Phoenix's fully committed performance and Todd Phillips' masterful albeit loose reinvention of the DC source material make Joker a film that should leave comic book fans and non-fans alike disturbed and moved in all the right ways.
1,244 out of 1,929 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Hype is real
kdagoulis264 October 2019
Most of the time movies are anticipated like this they end up falling short, way short. Joker is the first time I was more than happy with the hype. Please ignore the complaints of "pernicious violence" as they are embarrassing to say the least. We haven't seen a comic movie this real before. If we ever "deserved" a better class of criminal - Phillips and Phoenix have delivered. This is dark, Joker IS dark and you will fall in love with the villain as you should. The bad guys are always more romantic anyway.
2,232 out of 2,926 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Between a 7 and an 8
romanwatson6 October 2019
I thought this film was good but I just don't get the hype personally. The acting was amazing and the film was good overall but I think 'masterpiece' and 'film of the year' are a bit overused throughout the reviews. In no way did I dislike this film, I thought it was really good, just overhyped. I feel as though a lot of the 10/10 reviews are purely based on the fact that it already has amazing reviews and so people want to carry the praise further and that it is about the joker. If this film was released and was about some random guy in the same situation, I don't think the reviews would be as high but maybe that's the point.
734 out of 1,100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good lord
link99336 October 2019
The acting, cinematography, sound design, and the script itself is phenomenal. This movie is a triumph. Joaquin Pheonix deserves an Oscar win for this tbh.
740 out of 1,115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well filmed but empty
Red_Identity11 October 2019
What can I say about it that hasn't already been said? It's not a terrible film, but it's not a great (or even a really good one) either. The technical aspects are great. The score and cinematography are really good. Many individual scenes are also good. But as a whole, it just feels unnecessary. Not just that, but tone deaf as well. What it's trying to say about mental illness is problematic. Why? Because it's not really sure what it's trying to say or if it's even trying to say anything about it at all. Instead, it was added in there because, well, it's easy right? Joaquin Phoenix really does excel in many scenes of the film, but I'm not sure I would want him winning an Oscar for this. Overall, it's also just not that interesting. It's kind of... boring at times. And for a Joker film to be boring? That's a crucial offense. And I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I seriously wonder if those people calling this a "masterpiece" have even seen Taxi Driver or The King of Comedy.
70 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kind of a letdown....
DJRMewzique5 October 2019
The reviews here are making this film out to be far better than it actually is. Don't get me wrong, technically, it is extremely well done and Phoenix's performance is really quite extraordinary (he is definitely looking at an Oscar nomination), but despite excellent writing, acting and direction....

....the film is kinda boring.

It had its moments, and, sure, it has some very disturbing elements but....If I had a watch, I would have looked at it many times as what this film lacks is...excitement.

The final act is most excellent, but it felt like it took forever to get to it.
374 out of 728 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Acting Cannot Save Mediocre Script
postofficecb30 May 2020
They say it's all in the writing. And this is a great example of that. Good acting and production values cannot save a script steeped in tiresome stereotypes and a failure to delve into a character's identity. We meet the Joker when already imbalanced and his so-called descent into madness is really a couple weeks away; far from a descent, it's a stroll. This is not a character study, despite claims to the contrary. It's a showcase of a good actor overly contorting his body and laughing manically as a mistaken expression of madness. Where is the past? Where are the influences? Where are the conflicts? What are the seminal moments that create the spiral? Perhaps if he had really had that relationship, and had it gone sour, it would justify a descent. Instead, it's a fait accompli. This is lazy writing, focused more on fancy long shots of Joaquin Phoenix dancing crazily than producing something of value to the franchise.
96 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exceptional movie, painful to watch.
vexed_writer23 October 2022
This is not an underdog antihero story, if that's what you were expecting. This movie makes no attempt (as so many other movies do these days) to put a positive spin on a villain or invert morality to make its protagonist secretly good or make the audience root for him. Despite this, the film elicits empathy for the broken man it holds in its spotlight in the same way one might feel empathy for a diseased, mistreated, but ultimately unsalvageable dog. In the end, your heart goes out to him, but you still feel like someone should put him down, and that's exactly how one ought to feel for one of Gotham's most well known psychopaths.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!
Clive_W6 October 2019
This is just my opinion but I loved the Joker, the performances, cinematography, directing, style, all build a great story. And the acting from Phoenix was incredible, he done a great take for the iconic character, and wow does he commit, with loosing the weight for the role, to developing the laugh.
79 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Requiem of a broken man
andymaranam1 October 2019
The perfect portrait of a decline to insanity" & Joaquin Phoenix portrays this flawlessly in a performance of a lifetime. Choreographed impeccably by Todd Phillips & is nothing short of breathtaking. The cinematography & backdrop ideology of such an original film for such a complex character is only complimented by the superb soundtrack & acting. A hauntingly beautiful film & A Definate 10/10. Edit: Bring on part 2 plssssss!. We all want it!.
363 out of 661 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Believe the hype!
Sleepin_Dragon7 January 2020
The origins of a Monster.

If you see one film this year, please see The Joker. It does seem that we are getting constant remakes and origins films, but this is remarkable, I think people are fed up of both mentioned categories because many of the movies we're presented with haven't come up to scratch. The Joker however is phenomenal, the best film I've seen in the cinema for quite some time. I was enthralled from start to finish. The story is fantastic, the writing thoughtful and intelligent.

Joaquin Phoenix, what can you say, it's a master class performance from him, he injects everything needed into the part, to make it chilling, sad and menacing. No wonder the awards are flowing.

I genuinely cannot remember the last time I left a cinema feeling so rewarded by a film.

Incredible. 10/10
42 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oscar for Phoenix
issrafeel3 October 2019
I will stop watching movies if Joaquin Phoenix is not awarded Oscar for his tremendous acting.
697 out of 1,069 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.