Joker (2019) Poster

(2019)

9,646 Reviews
Outstanding movie with a haunting performance and best character development ever seen
MihaVrhunc3 October 2019
Every once in a while a movie comes, that truly makes an impact. Joaquin's performance and scenography in all it's brilliance. Grotesque, haunting and cringy. Hard to watch at times,... but so mesmerizing, you won't blink an eye watching it. Tragic, but with seriously funny moments. Emotional rollercoaster - sometimes, with multiple emotions popping-up at the same time.

this is far from a typical action-riddled predictable super-hero movie - it's a proper psychological thriller/drama, with the single best character development I have ever seen.
3,977 out of 4,914 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Only certain people can relate
lesterarnoldpinto7 October 2019
This is a movie that only those who have felt alone and isolated can truly relate to it. You understand the motive and you feel sorry for the character. A lot of people will see this movie and think that it encourages violence. But truly, this movie should encourage each and every one of us to become a better person, treat everyone with respect and make each other feel like they belong in this world, instead of making them feel isolated.
3,551 out of 4,509 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect in every aspect.
Aman_Goyal1 September 2019
Truly a masterpiece, The Best Hollywood film of 2019, one of the Best films of the decade... And truly the Best film to bring a comic book so chillingly and realistically to real ife. Remarkable Direction, Cinematography, Music and the Acting. Some people are surprised to find it DISTURBING and VIOLENT, but it's a necessity and message. It's about society and reflects those underappreciated/unrecognized/bullied people, proving they can do something too. The way it shows class difference, corruption and how rich and talented rule others around them is not exaggerated and that's what makes it different. It's BELIEVABLE. There could be multiple JOKERs living in our society that could shake those around them in much bitter way than the film shows making people uncomforting people. Consider this a wake up call, a message, but first a film. A PERFECT film.
3,517 out of 4,508 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MASTERPIECE 😍
logical_guy1 September 2019
Joaquin Phoenix gives a tour de force performance, fearless and stunning in its emotional depth and physicality. It's impossible to talk about this without referencing Heath Ledger's Oscar-winning performance from The Dark Knight, widely considered the definitive live-action portrayal of the Joker, so let's talk about it. The fact is, everyone is going to be stunned by what Phoenix accomplishes, because it's what many thought impossible - a portrayal that matches and potentially exceeds that of The Dark Knight's Clown Prince of Crime
3,038 out of 3,941 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Hype is real
kdagoulis264 October 2019
Most of the time movies are anticipated like this they end up falling short, way short. Joker is the first time I was more than happy with the hype. Please ignore the complaints of "pernicious violence" as they are embarrassing to say the least. We haven't seen a comic movie this real before. If we ever "deserved" a better class of criminal - Phillips and Phoenix have delivered. This is dark, Joker IS dark and you will fall in love with the villain as you should. The bad guys are always more romantic anyway.
2,592 out of 3,366 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
JUST AMAZING. How does this movie exist.
VallejoDiego4 October 2019
Let me start off by saying if Joaquin Phoneix doesn't get his Oscar for this movie. Then the Oscars should be cancelled. Phoneix is amazing as you might've heard from every review ever! But Todd Phillips. Is at his best here. The story lines he takes and visuals are just breathtaking. The score!! Omg the Score! Every time that score came on, I felt very uncomfortable, like something horrible was about to happen. It was GREAT. The Inspirations from Taxi Driver and King of Comedy are there, and add so much for the movie. And I got to be honest. There are scenes that are very violent. And its disturbing. But I honestly expected it to be WAYYYY more violent from all the controversy going on. Overall this movie was GREAT. Come Oscar season, it needs to be nominated for Best Picture, ScreenPlay, Cinematography, Actor, Score and Director
2,219 out of 2,943 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Went for a second time to watch
mariamelkott3 October 2019
I get why some people hate this . It's because of the political message and how some people think that you need get empathy for Arthur's madness. But come on that is not the point and it will never be. Enjoy this masterpiece because Joaquin Phoenix and Todd Phillips overdid themselves with this movie . The acting,music and cinematography are just amazing ! Please enjoy the movie without overthinking it.
2,074 out of 2,808 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A psychological study, rather than a superhero flick
t-viktor2121 September 2019
I have seen Joker yesterday at Venice an early ill-fated screening. We had some trouble with audio that lead to a near-hour delay, but it definitely was worth it.

Joker deserved to be presented at Venice Film Festival, an event that regards cinema as a form of art, because this film is far from a blockbuster or a mere entertainer movie, as most films in the genre are.

It focuses on the psyche of the main character, as it slowly crumbles under the pressure of society. And thus, Joaquin Phoenix does a wonderful performance, earning almost surely a nomination at the oscars at least. It's a take on the Joker that differs from Ledger's, but I'd say that both are equally as good. The main difference might be that Ledger's joker is a rational that acts insane, while Phoenix's is insane to the root.

Despite being a movie about a superhero villain, Joker is much superior to most of the movies of the genre (I'd exclude the Dark Knight Trilogy only, but Joker is easily as good as Nolan's movies, or at least very close). It is a small-scaled film, with a distinct style and cinematography (that cannot but be appreciated) and a set of very cinephile references that however do not feel too forced or overly opressive. (most notable are the similarities to Scorsese's 'Taxi Driver' and his 'The King of Comedy', but also Chaplin's 'Modern Times' is somewhat referenced).

I am eager to see more non-comedic efforts by Todd Phillips. This movie was so far probably the best of 2019 (at worst contested so far only by Dolor Y Gloria or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood), and that should be very convincing.
1,769 out of 2,423 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joaquin 'OSCAR', Joker = best Dark suspense thriller ... Darker than dark Knight.
johnnash-184201 September 2019
It's sad that Joaquin missed Oscar for 'The gladiator' as he was very compelling Villain. But I am quite confident he will win it for the 'Joker'. Damn what a movie !!! Keeps u on the toes all the time. Unpredictable storyline and really a deep interesting plot. Did I forget to mention acting ? Damn Do niro and Joaquin teach u what really is 5 star acting. To enjoy this movie, get a wine in your hand, close the curtains, turn of ur cellphones and put do not disturb sign on ur door. Best Dark thriller suspense movie you will get to experience.
1,829 out of 2,547 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally, a REAL movie
davestroud-760364 October 2019
This movie causes the audience to consider many topics on morality, particularly the poor choices made by the Joker. The Joker is more relatable in this movie than antagonists usually are. I think this gives a more realistic view of "bad" people, who are not usually 100% bad in all ways as society often judges. It is important to know when to sympathize with the Joker (towards the beginning of the movie), and when he needs to be identified as a threat (when he begins making certain bad choices). This movie is only suitable for adults who are willing to pick it apart and think critically about it. It isn't for light amusement. That substance is what makes it so good.

If you aren't able to ponder underlying themes on your own, and you have to be handed all your thoughts to you, then this isn't the best movie for you.
994 out of 1,487 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good lord
link99336 October 2019
The acting, cinematography, sound design, and the script itself is phenomenal. This movie is a triumph. Joaquin Pheonix deserves an Oscar win for this tbh.
853 out of 1,280 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a spoon feeding of CGI fueled faux drama.
brianmlucas5 October 2019
The movie affects you in a way that makes it physically painful to experience, but in a good way.
1,026 out of 1,547 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joker > Endgame
burkholdermicah2 September 2019
Need I say more? Everything about this Movie is Masterful in every single way! Joker isn't just an awesome comic book movie, it's an awesome movie, period. It offers no easy answers to the unsettling questions it raises about a cruel society in decline. Joaquin Phoenix's fully committed performance and Todd Phillips' masterful albeit loose reinvention of the DC source material make Joker a film that should leave comic book fans and non-fans alike disturbed and moved in all the right ways.
1,496 out of 2,287 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oscar for Phoenix
issrafeel3 October 2019
I will stop watching movies if Joaquin Phoenix is not awarded Oscar for his tremendous acting.
828 out of 1,263 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Critics are useless!
jennifer_camp286 October 2019
I quit relying on critic reviews years ago... I noticed for this movie that the critics ratings were low but viewer ratings were high. That being said, what is the point of a critic when for this movie, they are oh so wrong. I went and saw this tonite with my mom. I went in skeptical and w some what low expectations. I knew not to expect your typical super hero movie. What we got was a masterpiece. I went in expecting sheer boredom and I was instead on the edge of my seat the whole time. Not action edge of your seat, it was a fear of what he may do or say next edge of your seat. To see this character evolve into what we all know as the #1 villain of Batman was beyond genius and Joaquin Phoenix is a true master at perfecting the art of consuming himself into this character. I may be all over the place with this but I don't care. This movie, the story, the acting, directing, effects, everyone brought their A game and JP definitely deserves a nod and win for this role. And no, there is no comparison here to Jack Nicholson or Heath Ledger. Each actor took on this character and different levels, different story points and different points in time, so any comparison would just not be feasible or fair to any of the actors as they embraced him and made him come to life in their own genius way!
884 out of 1,351 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Between a 7 and an 8
romanwatson6 October 2019
I thought this film was good but I just don't get the hype personally. The acting was amazing and the film was good overall but I think 'masterpiece' and 'film of the year' are a bit overused throughout the reviews. In no way did I dislike this film, I thought it was really good, just overhyped. I feel as though a lot of the 10/10 reviews are purely based on the fact that it already has amazing reviews and so people want to carry the praise further and that it is about the joker. If this film was released and was about some random guy in the same situation, I don't think the reviews would be as high but maybe that's the point.
776 out of 1,196 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extremely overrated
coxlchris23 October 2019
I went into this film expecting an all-time classic based on the reviews I had read & what I ended up watching was just a decent film overall. Phoenix is outstanding...so he definitely did his part. But I feel like if you've seen the trailers you've seen the movie because the best way I can describe this film is it feels like a 2 hour version of the trailer. At 2 hours it's a relatively common runtime, but it felt a lot longer...which isn't good. I'd say this is much more of a rental than a theater movie. Kinda just....eh.
1,027 out of 1,617 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OK film
harkap9 January 2020
Do not really understand all the tens here. Sure, a good movie, good acting, nice shooting. But the plot is not so intriguing. At times it is really long and somewhat boring. I needed to double-check the genre to see if this is a drama or what. Crime, drama, thriller it said. I would put it maybe 90% in the drama and rest in thriller.

I miss more dialogue, more depth, more substance. The plot is really not more then a somewhat crazy person becoming a bit crazier. Sure there is an undertone in that it is society and the system and the mean character of people that is bringing him down and creating the evil beast which later wants to destroy everything. Absolutely, but I think it is not intriguing story and plot and dialogue enough to give this a ten.

Worthy of watching, yes. But not amazing
422 out of 651 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!
Clive_W6 October 2019
This is just my opinion but I loved the Joker, the performances, cinematography, directing, style, all build a great story. And the acting from Phoenix was incredible, he done a great take for the iconic character, and wow does he commit, with loosing the weight for the role, to developing the laugh.
69 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is it great? I don't know.
ernestoherreraf25 October 2019
When I heard everyone saying that this is the film of the year and all the reviews flooding in with 10's, I was quite hyped and excited for this movie. When I walked out of the cinema, I felt hollow and empty.

Before I continue writing, let me say this, This is NOT the film of the year nor is it a real masterpiece. The cinematography is excellent and the acting is incredible, that's just it. The side-characters are bland and overly dramatic. The plot heavily relies on plot-twists and the film is so harsh that it actually falls flat on it's face.

Are there no good points though? Phoenix is phenomenal and the score is great. The cinematography is also incredible but the plot is not that great at all. It even has plot holes and scenes that left me empty.

Film of the year? Nope.
622 out of 993 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yikes. THIS is people's "best movie ever"?
horrorgasm14 January 2020
The recurring themes of so many of the 10 star reviews here should tell you a lot about this movie and its audience. If you can't get through a movie review without tossing in one or more claims that "THIS movie is so much better and smarter than YOUR superhero movie" (or even basing your entire review around this premise), then I hate to break it to you, but kid, you're nowhere near as intelligent and grown up as you think you are. This "my comic publisher is better than yours" BS should have been left behind on your grade school playground, it has absolutely no relevance to the quality of this movie, and your opinion of this movie should be considered highly suspect if you're in this group.

I gotta say, if this movie was also your idea of the most perfect film ever made, you really need to get out more. Look, I get it. If you live in a safe little box where all you watch are superhero movies and mainstream blockbusters then I understand how exposure to themes like this for the first time would seem new and exciting to you, and I think we can all agree that this is probably the best DC Comics related movie in the last decade or so (though that's not a high bar to meet) and of course Joaquin Phoenix is a very talented actor, but stop and take a step back and look at this thing.

Joker does indeed present a theme that is of importance to our society, that of the neglect and demonizing of the mentally ill to a degree that sometimes creates monsters which everyone around them should have seen coming a mile away if they hadn't been too busy looking away to avoid feeling uncomfortable. Unfortunately, reminding us all of the fact that this situation still exists is all this movie really has to say. It dances around important subjects like "HEY KIDS, CLASS INEQUALITY!", but then never offers any actual insight into them, usually because it's too busy making forced Batman references or dropping cringey little edgy moments like the "Don't smile" sign scene which seem to have been designed solely to have something for Hot Topic to print a new t-shirt of. Between that and every single plot twist being telegraphed so very far in advance because a lot of us have seen all these exact same twists so very many times before, I just wasn't impressed.

Perhaps if this had been an actual stand-alone movie of its own instead of being shackled by its completely unnecessary ties to the Batman universe it could have done something more interesting with its themes. Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problem with superhero movies, but it just feels so gratuitous here, as if someone came up with this idea, pitched it to an executive, and was told "sounds great, but can you make it a Batman movie somehow?", and I'm sorry, but I'm just not into a movie trying to tell me a half-hearted, yet dead-serious speech about mental illness in modern society while simultaneously constantly reminding me that it's technically a superhero movie because $$$
402 out of 646 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OMG - Am I getting old or are people getting more stupid
HakuMashentay2 November 2019
I was so hyped up to see this movie, loved the trailer, only movie I have wanted to watch in the cinema for a very long time.

I watched it and was bored. the aesthetics were amazing, music was good, story and execution was meh. the performance of the joker was a good performance but people raving about this are driving me mad. either you have not seen many movies or I have seen too many.

this movie was bang average and was actually boring. I was actually thinking about leaving half way through as I was bored out of my mind.

I do not regret watching it but it is being so overhyped that I am so confused right now. I think it had a good premise but could have been so much more, so much more.

Signs of a great movie is the repeat viewing of it or it moving you, joker did not move me whatsoever and I would not watch it again.

I thought maybe people are getting paid to write good review but have actually met people who think it is the best movie ever.... OMGGG

This movie is bang average and way overhyped.

phoenix performance is good but as the story and execution is so bad, I feel he never even touched the higher spectrum of performance he could have with the character.

I have experienced and seen worse in my life, if this made you feel, you are (i hate this word but have to use it) a snowflake. Please get off social media and live life.

there is a real world out there.
741 out of 1,256 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BELIEVE THE HYPE
j_bone-438164 October 2019
Joaquin Phoenix gives Heath Ledger a run for his money, true story. This is not a popcorn fluff comic book flick. DO NOT TAKE YOUR KIDS TO SEE THIS MOVIE. Shut down all ballots for the Oscar, Joaquin is taking that one home hands down. One of the best origin stories EVER put out. The only downside to this movie, is that it is a stand alone film that will have no sequels or ties to the DC Universe. Todd Philips take on the Joker is one of pure brilliance and Joaquin Phoenix was the Joker we deserved. He didn't steal from Jack or Heath but yet you got a taste of both.
653 out of 1,106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterpiece.
ahakimshashaa3 October 2019
The music. The intense. The realism. The performance. The story. Such a perfect combination of everything. I never felt that a character like joker could be real until I saw this. Phoenix shows us what a joker is in our society and shows us how power can be obtained. Philips on the other hand had the perfect choice of music, camera angles, lighting and every important factor. Overall, I did not expect the story to be this perfect. Too many shocking turns happened and it really does represent today's society. If I was in the first screening, I would have applauded for 80 min not 8.
560 out of 952 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Acting Cannot Save Mediocre Script
postofficecb30 May 2020
They say it's all in the writing. And this is a great example of that. Good acting and production values cannot save a script steeped in tiresome stereotypes and a failure to delve into a character's identity. We meet the Joker when already imbalanced and his so-called descent into madness is really a couple weeks away; far from a descent, it's a stroll. This is not a character study, despite claims to the contrary. It's a showcase of a good actor overly contorting his body and laughing manically as a mistaken expression of madness. Where is the past? Where are the influences? Where are the conflicts? What are the seminal moments that create the spiral? Perhaps if he had really had that relationship, and had it gone sour, it would justify a descent. Instead, it's a fait accompli. This is lazy writing, focused more on fancy long shots of Joaquin Phoenix dancing crazily than producing something of value to the franchise.
51 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.