Book of Monsters (2018) Poster

2019s Book of Monsters
ghettodub1 July 2019
2019s Book of Monsters

Book of Monsters stars Lyndsey Craine as Sophie, Who on her 18th birthday, has a party that goes awry. Is it spoilery if I say there are monsters? Or maybe even a Book of Monsters?

Monsters, fun kills, silly practical effects make this an enjoyable watch.

Ok, here is what I jotted down:

What kind of weirdo keeps an open pocket knife in their back pocket? Has a fun BBC/E4 vibe to it, and I love a lot of Brit tv and movies. Funny kills and monsters. Who doesn't love killer gnomes in a Evil Dead-ish scene? I liked the music. A mix of silly overly-dramatic music and synth. Fun practical effect mixed with the kind of bad CGI that is funny and not just bad. Bad sound design throughout. It has a montage, complete with 80s style Jean Claude Van Damme music. Loved the music in the end credits how it was self aware and funny. The post credit scene teases what could be a fun TV show similar to the cancelled Crazyhead.

All in all, if you're looking for a fun and entertaining watch that you can toss on and not take too seriously: this is a good choice.

Have fun.

6.5/10
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Goodish because it's old school
phoenixinvictus8 April 2019
It follows a horror formula of the 80's slasher movies. There is the shy heroine with the mysterious past, the BBF who is overprotective, and the school bully who is just there to be mean for the sake of meanness in a High School with the world's oldest teenagers. I caught myself giggling at the cheesy but reasonably good special effects and best of all there was no CGI that I could tell of. This is one of those movies that you can't take too seriously because it's obvious that it was using a low budget. Would I watch it again? Probably not, but it was a good watch and it killed a bit of nostalgia I felt of the 80's.
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A balanced review
geeklegionofdoom21 March 2019
I feel this movie has good intentions made by lovers of the genre , but may have bitten more off than they can chew. I think meant to come off like a film in the vein of Evil Dead, Brain dead & Night of the Demons, is actually more comparable to the movie 'The Spookies' What works.
  • Loads of inventive (albeit low budget) gore effects. People getting torn in half, heads getting torn off , it's all in here. But it's not sickening gore, but fun gore if that makes sense
  • The movie is very fast paced. You will not be bored, there is always something going on. Ultimately means you will not get bored in this movie
  • The actress who plays Mona, is very good in this movie
-The LGBT angle is integrated very well. The main character just happens to be gay, but it's treated just as a matter of fact and does't get preachy or nor does it fall into sterotypes
  • It's visually very ambitious , trying to make a splatter creature feature movie
But what does't work
  • It might have ambition in the visuals, but the story is actually very pedestrian . Teens get attacked by monsters at a party and have to survive . not much more too it than that
  • As i alluded to earlier, they may have bitten off more than they can chew. The monster effects are pretty poor. Literally looking like someone in a homemade Halloween costume.
  • The acting isn't great. Our main protagonist actress doesn't seem to be able to emote , and gives one of the most unenthusiastic performances of a lead character that i recall seeing. But it's not just her, others are like that too. Then some actors are just bad actors.
  • There is virtually no characterization in this movie. Our main character gets a bit of background, but we still don't see what she is really like. Her two friends, one of them doesn't even get to really speak until the monsters show up
  • Very little world building & plot holes. To demonstrate this , I'm just gonna talk about the prologue to avoid spoilers, but this type of thing can be applied to the rest of the movie too. So mild spoilers ahead for the opening scene
We just have to accept that the mother is some kind of monster hunter, with no context as to why , how , what that means etc. Within the logic of this movie, she is reading bedtime stories to her young daughter directly from a ancient demon summoning book ( doesn't seem like great parenting does it ) . Then it alludes to , she's somehow summoned a monster under her daughter's bed ( if not, are we to believe it's been hanging around there all the time?). Then the movie contradicts it's self later by saying the monsters are summoned via the blood of a virgin, when that's not what happened in the prologue . So you get what i'm saying, this movie needed to have a 2nd script draft, or as i see in so many times in indie movies, someone else outside of production to test it on, who isn't just gonna say yes, yes, yes, because they are either employed of friends with the film makers

Overall, this movie does have some fun with the carnage and is enjoyable on a basic level. This isn't a 10 out of 10 as some of the 'cough' "Genuine" 'cough' reviews indicate, but nor is it a 1 out of 10 either. Fun but very flawed
34 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Book of Monsters: Pleasant surprise
Platypuschow23 March 2019
This British horror comedy had a budget of less than 100k and though I entirely support independent movies I always believe in not over-shooting. What I mean by that is don't make a movie above your means, if you have a micro-budget then maybe avoid monsters, aliens, giant spaceships and explosive action. Considering the subject matter here for that reason I had my concerns, I didn't need to apparently.

It tells the story of a girl celebrating her 18th birthday by having a house party. Before they know it they're under siege from an array of monsters, will they survive the night?

I liked this, we don't see "Monsters" as much as we used to so it was a nice refreshing change seeing people under assault from them instead of the usual generic slashers or zombies.

With a neat little competent unknown cast (Though too old to be playing teenagers), impressive effects for the budget and a fair bit of originality I was very impressed by what they accomplished here.

Sure it's hardly groundbreaking and the budget limitations do show in places but they made the best of what they have and that right there demonstrates the talent both in front of and behind the camera.

I'd actually like to see a sequel to this, it's an underground movie that deserves considerably more attention than its likely to get. More of these and less Hollywood trite please.

The Good:

Looks great for the budget

The Bad:

REALLY poor casting for teenagers!

Stock sound effects
21 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Review Of "Book Of Monsters"
ASouthernHorrorFan17 March 2019
"Book Of Monsters" is a fun, high energy, bloody good time. It is a micro-budget horror comedy that is reminiscent of classic 80's movies, such as "Evil Dead" and "Night Of The Demons". The story is a patchwork quilt of typical horror tropes, setups, and characters, but because Sparke knows the film he is trying to make, the familiarity is more a tribute to the genre than a copycat. It isn't perfect, there are times the humor falls flat, or the scene stumbles a bit, but the pace and the energy over-takes any real flaws.

Special effects are blood-soaked, gory practical elements that soak up the spotlight in "Book Of Monsters". It's like an 80-something minute long episode of 'Todd And The Book Of Pure Evil' on steroids. Sparke goes for broke creating visceral scenes of carnage, so much so that even the moments that fail are fun and enjoyable to watch. The creature designs, practical effects, and so many characters battling for "Scream Queen" gold are so captivating on screen.

Overall "Book Of Monsters" is a great indie horror comedy that gets so much right and does so much on such a small budget. There are some downers, the exposition material drags a bit- but how could they not after so much high energy scenes of monsters and guts and screams! For the most part "Book Of Monsters" is a must for indie horror fans, and is a prime example of why we love indie horror!
41 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun Fluff!
bridgetgibbs-0007512 June 2019
Rubber monsters, hot girls and fun scenes where they chainsaw up a spider creature that reminded me of the Alien Queen from Aliens. Not a bad way to spend an evening. I'd watch a sequel if it had a bigger budget.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Bad Vs Evil
AlbusDumbledore20 March 2019
I say Good Bad as it's one of those films you know you shouldn't watch but somehow end up seeing through to the end.

Although I am on my second bottle of wine as I write this review.

The actors perform well above par for this kind of fare (if you can accept the Hollywood Style Teenagers - where the average age is 16 going on 30, although this could be a piss take).

The film definitely tries it's best to keep up the tension and action. Which is quite impressive given it looks like there was virtually was no SFX or make up budget. Or any budget at all really.

To summarise: a passable film to watch on your second bottle of wine.
20 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The 80s called...
cthulhudanceparty13 June 2019
Book of Monsters is the type of film we are seeing a lot more of on the indie horror scene these days. Take what people loved about those classic 80s horror movies and put them in a blender with a dash of British humor and you end up with this film. There are many faults to find with this movie - the ropey FX, cliche characters and budget which shows on screen more often than not. But I'm giving this film a 7 because despite these things, boy this movie is a hoot and even made me laugh out loud more than once. With killer garden gnomes made out of rubber and a cast of attractive "teens" who either die horribly or use chainsaws to fight the monsters, this movie is entertaining. The three main girls are like-able and I actually cared about what happened to them and its a plus that they are easy on the eyes too. An easy way to scratch your horror itch and not feel like you've wasted two hours.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A deeply enjoyable 80s throwback
wondergurl-5102920 March 2019
I took a chance on this on Vudu and I don't know what I was expecting going in but I was pleasantly surprised to find a really fun throwback to 80s creature movies like Ghoulies and Critters. It doesn't take itself too seriously and has some great practical FX and the acting was surprisingly great for a low budget flick. Some great gore and kills if you're into that kind of thing. I would recommend to any fans of 80s horror but don't go in looking for jump scares.
30 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must see horror film
wioombeen20 March 2019
Book of Monsters has everything a horror fan could want. Good story, great acting, pretty girls and some sick add monsters.

The writing is both very funny and smart. Lyndsey Craine and Michaela Longden's perforcences are spot on and make this film so much fun.

Definitely pick this one up and add it to your collection. Sure to be a cult classic.
30 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highly enjoyable and fun creature feature
kannibalcorpsegrinder21 March 2019
Troubled by a traumatic childhood incident, a teen and her friends decide to throw a wild party for her eighteenth birthday, but once the guests arrive a deadly ritual is invoked unleashing a horde of monsters looking to complete a dangerous ritual and forcing them to stop its plans.

For the most part, this proved to be an exceptionally enjoyable effort. One of it's strongest aspects is the manner in which this one works the fear of growing up into a decidedly fun effort. With a fantastic start that provides a reasonable and wholly necessary motivation for the fear she has towards the event and colors her emotional memories of her mother's incident, there's a great start to this one that gets played out rather nicely here. These events are rightfully psychologically scarring but to also see this hasn't affected her in most stereotypical manners is quite refreshing with the way the early goings of the party which is rather fun. It's once the creatures arrive at the house where this one really turns into a full-on blast. The creatures running wild on the guests at the party offers up scores of highly-enjoyable antics here which are all the more fun due to the practical nature of the effects. Given that the various and multiple monsters and creatures are shown to have memorable and unique designs that are driven by that manner of practical costumes for them, there's an added sense of fun in seeing the spike-backed ox creature or the gnome-worms running around the party as there's a sense of realism in seeing that occur. Given that these also manage to unravel the mystery behind their appearance and the ritual that's at the center of the creatures appearing at the house, this prepares us nicely for the overall fun of the finale where it tackles the creatures being taken out in rather fun fashion and unleashing plenty of over-the-top confrontations and action-packed encounters that leave this with a lighthearted tone alongside the thrilling sequences. These here hold the film up over it's few minor flaws as there were several small problems with it. The biggest issue is the absolute lack of clarity as for what's going on as the decision to keep the information about the creatures' appearance until the very end doesn't mean this makes any sense. The running time is spent with everyone around the party wondering what the purpose of them appearing is supposed to be for, and even their attempts at figuring out the translations in the book don't amount to much with several questionable aspects. As well, there's also the rushed finale which handles the action in a decidedly quick manner, making this one feel like the final boss battle between them and the most dangerous demon is a tad underwhelming. Otherwise, there isn't much wrong with this one.

Rated Unrated/R: Graphic Violence and Graphic Language.
20 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable indie effort with old school vibe.
Jester2229 June 2019
Ok. So it's not gonna win many awards for acting .......saying that the main characters are great.....just a few supporting actors (namely the father!) make this feel more like a Media Collage level project.

The old school practical effects were great to see and you can just tell it was a real labour of love for all involved making the various creatures and gore effects. Low low budget but with lots of heart. Plenty of Evil Dead influence throughout but with a more British sense of humour that works in most places. Under a more experienced director the scenes could have had the tension that it was lacking, but that will come in time. A fun way to spend 80mins...... Switch off the brain and enjoy the blood. One good thing is that they didn't go into the realm of shoddy after effects cgi (except the explosion) like a lot of budget films do and kept it practical with inventive monster designs (except the Djinn which was Poundland Halloween level. Ha .

Well done to all involved. Teens will love it. Pretty girls, blood and........well more blood. p.s...... I was actually left wanting to see further adventures of the female trio of monster slayers......which is rare.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If your rating this a 10 you aren't a real viewer
Markyajv21 August 2019
Oh, where do I start? How about the fact that all the actors look 30 yrs old. Or that the acting is horrendous, or that the second monster looked like the costume they used in The Village? A failed attempt at an 80s throwback. Maybe in the UK, but not in the US.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I hate to be a party pooper, but...
BA_Harrison23 March 2019
To celebrate her 18th birthday, pretty gay schoolgirl Sophie (Lyndsey Craine) throws a house party, where she hopes to get closer to classmate Jess (Rose Muirhead). Her plans for romance are ruined, however, when the party is crashed by monsters who need her blood to complete a ritual that will give life to all the malevolent creatures depicted in an ancient book.

As a Brit horror fan, I'm a keen supporter of independent UK scary movies, but it's tough going at times: the gems are often few and far between, resulting in a lot of disappointment. Book of Monsters, for example, boasts a fun concept with plenty of promise, but it is seriously hampered by weak acting (Nicholas Vince puts in a particularly bad performance, showing why he's best remembered for simply chattering: his delivery of his dialogue is awkward and unconvincing), plot progression that is achieved by the way of too much clumsy exposition, and comedy that frequently falls flat. I wanted to like it, but I didn't.

The party massacre is a lot of fun, full of excessive cheesy splatter, with bodies torn apart and liberal spraying of blood, and if the film had continued in this OTT vein, it might have been a mindlessly enjoyable way to pass the time; unfortunately, the splatter soon dries up, leaving us with the bad acting and the clunky script, made worse by Stewart Sparke's tongue-in-cheek approach that rarely hits the mark (the gags involving the male stripper are especially cringeworthy, and an attack by evil gnomes is hampered by crap effects).

On a slightly more positive note, the main monsters are admirably unconventional in design, although the lack of a decent budget means that they're not very animated and consequently less frightening than they otherwise might have been.

A post credits scene sets up things for a sequel, Sophie and her surviving pals dedicating their lives to hunting and killing monsters. Let's hope they get a stronger script, a bigger budget and a few acting lessons in the interim.
18 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So many fluff reviews
realityinmind6 October 2019
This is weak. Basic. Pedestrian. Juvenile. Nonsensical. Not funny. Not scary. And why does one black man (not a boy, as he looks 30) go to an all-girls catholic school?? So weak
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shocking
hello-86522-8886121 January 2020
35 year old women pretending to be 18, but they did well making the £27.50 budget last. It was like a school production. Time's too precious for this tripe.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved it!
carlybrown-9054920 March 2019
Book of monsters is hillariously funny and brilliantly created with a mix of practical and digital effects lots of blood gore and girls with chainsaws
20 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THIS IS INDEPENDENT FILM AT IT'S BEST
Oliviamaiden20 March 2019
Fantastic crew, cast and A* Filmmaking. This is Indie Film at it's best.
23 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bombastic gory creature feature
UncleGabby23 March 2019
What more do you need to know?

This film doesn't fall into the modern trap of leaning too heavily on nostalgia for its 80s forebears.

Just a great fun romp!
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's raining rubber monsters!
HostileArtichoke6 June 2019
Lets start with the good. Practical Effects, like-able cast, fun story and a welcome take on a lesbian relationship. The bad is the super, super low budget (which shows often) and some of the monster-less scenes dragged on far too long. BUT, I can ignore all of these bad things because Book of Monsters was actually entertaining and that can't be said for a lot of the low budget horror I dig up these days.

When the monsters are on screen they are delightfully retro and all done practically - as in NO CGI! This adds multiple stars to my rating alone and if the filmmakers take anything away from the reviews it's to keep doing that. There are great moments where the girls take chainsaws to monster flesh and we see real blood spraying everywhere, not computer generated fakery. If this film had a higher budget (it was clearly very low) it would be a 10. Whilst there are a lot of shortcomings with it, the practical effects alone made me rate this highly and I hope we see more films like this, although hopefully with more money.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Great, Not Terrible
tonytonesbow13 June 2019
Normally when you watch films of this type you're rolling a dice and thankfully this one came out with the odds in my favor. It's an enjoyable horror movie, very much in the vein of 80s schlock complete with practical effects. The cast were surprisingly like-able which is rare in a film like this where it's clear they had pretty much no budget. The lead girl was a breath of fresh air and actually felt like a real human being, not some cookie-cutter bimbo with her assets on display. The rest of the cast were also good with the Stripper being a highlight. There are negatives, the main one being the monsters are a bit low rent and some scenes really drag but the film gets a pass on this for being a mostly entertaining ride. Obligatory post-credits scene sets up a sequel that I honestly wouldn't hate to see. As long as chapter 2 has more original monsters.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Judged by the cover!
dawnkelleyart15 June 2020
The plot line seemed fun, but that cover reminded of a Henson film gone wrong and I was in! I jumped in the the beginning (yeah it got me), slowed down a little (but I knew to stay with it!) then when hell breaks loose.... THIS is for the fun horror movie fan, sophisticated in B movie horror humor.... and who appreciates a non cg 'Creature Feature' there is some great costume making done here! And who Ever illustrated this book (I'm going to find you and follow you art for life), did a breathtaking job. The plots good. For the budget I'm super amazed...teaser at the end gives hope. Bring in more funding but don't sellout!!!!! 🖤
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect movie for a classic horror fan
ellabrewin20 March 2019
If you are a true horror movie fan you will love this movie. Practical effects are brillaint and the film is just all round enjoyable to watch. I watched this film at FrightFest and the audience laughed so much. Brilliant film! Go get it on DVD in the US! Unfortunately I think we have ro wait for UK realease but its worth the wait I promise.
17 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A ridiculously fun, blood spattered, teen comedy/monster movie mash up.
JasonMcFiggins23 May 2019
Book of Monsters is the stuff of video store rental legend, those movies you took a chance on because it sounded decent and the cover was awesome. Then you stayed up past midnight on a Saturday because you watched it twice, and rented it again the next week. Helping to locate and bring attention to movies like this is exactly the reason why I started this monthly article! The film starts on a dark and stormy night in an attic as the camera closes in on an old book. What follows is a ridiculously fun, blood spattered, teen comedy/monster movie mash up. The performances are great and the practical effect creatures and monsters look fantastic and menacing. The female leads are just perfect here, I would love to see them all again in a sequel! From the makeup to the music and everything in between, Book of Monsters is all around awesome and one of my favorite films of the year so far.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fabulous horror film
singwithkim-8303720 March 2019
Such a wealth of talent here. Enjoyable from start to finish.
20 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.