I Want to Eat Your Pancreas (2018) Poster

I nearly missed this gem
BillyGreg30 October 2018
I saw Kimi no Suizo wo Tabetai today, the second last day it was playing in my area. I had planned to see it earlier, missed it and gave up, until an opportunity came for me to see it at the last minute. I have to say, I am so glad I went.

Kimi no Suizo wo Tabetai is a romance/ slice of life that explores the life of an introvert who learns that a girl is suffering from a pancreatic illness. Of course, it's in the synopsis, but for me, I don't think the synopsis lived up to the movie. It follows an emotional journey for the two main characters that is hard to describe without spoiling. The unlikely bond between the to seemingly opposite characters is a joy to see, and genuinely makes you smile and cry at the screen throughout the film.

Some of the best anime films have been released recently, such as Kimi no Na Wa and Koe no Katachi (Your Name and a Silent Voice), and while I am unsure if I found it necessarily better than these films, I definitely found it more emotional and more real than the others. There was not a part of this movie that wasn't beautifully animated and captivating. It isn't a drag to watch, bus just a really sweet and masterful film. Kimi no Suizo wo Tabetai is one to see for sure.
42 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Saw this movie on a airplane.
Vandendam16 June 2019
I was flying back from Japan to Belgium (long flight) . So, i was browsing the movies they had on the airplane. ..... ..... .... I Want to Eat Your Pancreas .... .... Hell yeah! I'm a big horror fan! So the title immediately caught my attention! I was immediately convinced, so without reading what the film was about I started this adventure. ... .... Ooh boy! I think sometimes it's good to know nothing about the movie when you first see it! Because otherwise i would never have seen this movie.

I'm a horror fan! I don't wanna see a stupid love story movie. But this movie was a good movie, no, it was marvelous! It had everything you wanna see in a movie! Sometimes you gonna feel really sad, maybe you even gonna cry! Other times the movie will put a smile on your face!

I don't like it when people tell me to much content about the movie. So, i'm not gonna do that! Try it! Give it a chance on a rainy day! After the movie you will say to yourself ..... ..... Damn, this was a good movie!
32 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never cried for a movie, this one made me cry
slayouze11 January 2019
This movie hits me really hard in a good way. It has a special place in my heart.

Everything was good. The studio did a really good animation and the OST were very good aswell. They made Sakura very loveable and adorable, the voice actor did a VERY good job. About the opening, it was cheerful meanwhile the ending was sad but it really fit the ambience when the credits was rolling.

The only bad thing is that it was too short (1hour 40minutes) i wish it could be longer (2hours 30 minutes) so they can really give more to the plot and really emphasize the character's relationship. I felt like they still could of done a lot more character progressing in the movie, but again the short time frame they had to do it in really restricted their moves. I understand making a anime movie is hard since you have to build so much in so little time like the character's past and lives. So its ok for me because they did it pretty well.

And dont forget to stay till the end, there is a bonus scene that really complete the movie.

For those who still don't get why it's called "I want to eat your pancreas" here's the reason:

There's a myth(or some old ritual) that says eating a certain body part will make the one who eats it body part feel better (Ex: eat a liver for a better liver).

She tells him she wants to "eat his pancreas" because she wants to recover and live since she is secretly afraid of dying and puts up a front. Also in a religion, if you eat a part of someone it's believed that their soul will stay within you.

Which is why he says he wants to "eat her pancreas" since they've become very close and even though she'll die of her illness, he wants her to live on in him...

Overall i didnt get bored a single time while watching this movie. I've never cried in front of a movie and this one made me cry so much. You better watch this masterpiece, you won't regret i swear.

If you liked "A silent voice" or "Your name", from my personnal opinion, this movie is better than those two and i really liked them so you can see the scale.
34 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Emotional Film That is Truly Heart-Warming
Katsudon199621 October 2018
I decided to watch this Movie in the split second that nearly made me miss the last bus that would make me arrive at the cinema on time.

From the Title you know what you are getting yourself into. even at the start of the film it starts just like Grave of the Fireflies. after it takes you back to where it began and you embark on an amazing journey that makes you Sad and happy with how Sakura handles her illness. As time goes by you immediately feel uneasy and sorry, until the credits roll and longer as a the end credit scene plays (yes just like Marvel there is one).

The Characters are all charming even with only a few you get to know with it focusing on the Main character (His name is disclosed till the end of film so i wont say it) and Sakura. The Voice actors did a remarkable job on this film and suit the characters perfectly. It's hard to write a review about this film without spoilers as everything i want to write is considered a spoiler here.

The Art Design is just like "A Silent Voice" with scenes that are so pretty with Cherry blossoms, fireworks, and even the normal city streets are beautiful. makes you wonder why the real world isn't like that. The facial expressions on the characters immediately capture what kind of person that character is and as time goes by how their personality has changed.

Sound Design is just like any over Slice of Life anime, its pleasant and peaceful, and gives the scene a perfect atmosphere on what they are trying to go for. The Opening theme to the Film is very good and wouldn't mind listening to it from time to time... But i don't think i could handle it with the type of film this is.

Overall i enjoyed this Film, it brought tears to my eyes and i was engrossed all the why through. If you haven't seen it yet, see it now. i say its better or just as good as "A Slient Voice" or "Your Name" and is definitely worth your time.

Before i end this review, ill like to say to the People who only watch Dubs, i also mainly watch Dubs as well. I found at sometimes it was moving a bit quick, but still held up, the Voices are very well done and you should see it instead of waiting for a Dub that will never come. So please See this Film while you can.
27 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A heartwarming message
Bright_eyes_177 January 2019
I was intrigued by this anime from the get-go. The title itself was eye catching as I had never seen such a bizarre name, and I sat down to watch it as soon as I got the chance. 'I want to eat your pancreas' is about a young girl named Sakura who was diagnosed with a pancreatic illness, and told she had only a little time left to live. This film not only is beautiful aesthetically but also through the story it tells the audience. The message is to live everyday like it's your last! If you liked other anime such as 'your lie in april' or 'Kimi no Na wa' this is perfect for you.
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful & Touching...
Xstal29 May 2020
A universal story on the cruelties of life but, more importantly, about the joys of life; the changes and affects two people can have on each other at the most difficult of times. The yearning we've all experienced for the magic that can exist between two people, when we don't have it, and the torrent of emotions it can bring forth.
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What is important about a movie?
cuccu23 January 2019
I think the answer to my question is: "the message". As you can see from my profile I rarely give high ratings but I think this movie deserves my 9 because I left the theater richer than when I entered. This movie makes you realize that often we take for granted so many things that actually aren't and we often focus on things that are not so important. I consider myself a rather cynical individual but I deeply appreciated this movie since it delivers a pure message and is an ode to joy, life, sharing, caring, empathy and love for ourselves and for others.
20 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Honest and Simple
rti9-929-580319 April 2019
A quiet young high school student accidentally discovers that a popular classmate has a terminal illness. Awed by his unfazed reaction to the revelation of her short life, she starts to hang out with him. Knowing that her close friends would react over-dramatically like her family already does, she keeps it a secret from them since it would only make things harder for her. She finds comfort in the protagonist's detached personality because it allows her to be herself without being constantly reminded of death.

Characters with terminal illnesses have been used quite a lot in fiction. Unlike many of those, this movie doesn't rely on scenes of a physically struggling diseased person. What we get instead are lots of honest dialogues of two interesting characters as they bond and sincerely try to help each other.

The characters, the animation, and the colors are all simple but they all have a charm. Nothing stands out, but what is impressive is that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. The storytelling really makes all the parts shine.

The movie and the book have the same plot, but the characters are slightly different. The core of their personalities are the same, but the way they talk and are shown in the movie feel more genuine. In the novel the protagonist keeps narrating the whole story and his thoughts and opinions contrast a lot to the reserved person in the movie. I prefer the movie by far. This is clearly a case of less is more.
14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you liked Wolf Children and Your Name, you'll love the bittersweet I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
RforFilm16 February 2019
People are clearly looking for a variety of portrayals with both men and women. While I won't say it's a sexist thing on why we seem to have a limited view of characters, I think it's more of a factor in that we simply don't know how to write personalities we don't understand. Let's say you were the loner geek in high school who always wanted to be an acclaimed novelist. You'll certainly know how to write geeks, lonely people and maybe the people you dream of being. But chances are that if you were asked to write about the loud jock, you'd be stumped to make them as engaging as you would for the ones your more confortable with. I wanted to bring this up as the main characters seem to be people that I've seen, but don't often see in a lot of media...or at least in this fashion. We've seen people who are lonely and want attention, but we don't see those that like to be alone. We also see a lot of bubbly, outgoing people, but not as interested in those that otherwise wouldn't attract attention. Both of these people meet in the sweet but sad I Want to Eat Your Pancreas. A high school boy, only known as "Me" (played by Robbie Daymond) is quiet, reserved, and would rather keep to himself. He doesn't have friends, but isn't asking for them either. In fact, he seems happy to be living within the books that he reads and puts away at the library where he works. That changes when a girl Sakura (played be Erika Harlacher) suddenly wants to make friends with him. He tries to reject it, but not only does she keep wanting to talk to him, but she even gets a job at the same library. She gets him to hang out with her having tea or going to the park. Though still reserved, he does talk about the joy he gets from his books. In turn, she reveals that her pancreas is rotting and has a limited time left. She has latched on to him and not told her friends, as she wanted to confine in someone that wouldn't treat her differently. The two continue to hang while he understands how her cheerfulness has gained her a lot of friends and she starts to understand how stories like The Little Prince can be more appealing then the real world. I'll say first that I Want to Eat Your Pancreas is a bit of a downer...but not for the reasons you may think. Without giving it away, we do find out why what happens to the main characters is more tragic, but how much it builds onto "Me". I Want to Eat Your Pancreas is also a great story about human connection, especially with those who don't want the connection. "Me" is the kind of loner I wish major studios would focus on. Not the ones that are too cool for school. Not the ones with a tragic past. Not the ones who are edgy. Simply the ones who find enough substance within their selves. The movie is not negative about those that like their own company. The script is more about how this affects those around them and the personalities that are there to reflect those ideals. It's a good thing that "Me" and Sakura are interesting people. Sakura is another example of something that can be very warm and bubbly, but isn't asking for a romance. She's looking for different kinds of friends that she doesn't already have. I could see these kinds of people making friends in real life. To top it off, the animation is really good. It wasn't produced by Toho or Studio Ghibli, but it is showing that not only has it been shown that you don't need either studio to put out good anime, but that it can also look spectacular. It's style could have been done in live action (to which I understand it already has), but I still think I'd rather see it in this style only.

I'll give this nine journals out of ten. It may be a really good anime film, but again, this is one that ends very bittersweet. But it'll make you think about how you've treated others and just what effect it has on them. Never take a moment for granted and look at this if you want a movie that understands friendship, depression, and of course, the pain of death.
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I"ve always wanted
tatootiashvili11 December 2019
This is a one of the best anime film i have ever seen, without a doubt. This is a story for a couple, and how they contact with each other for every day. When i first saw this anime, i throught that never plan something because, life is extraordinary and unlimited, but now i think differently. You do what you want to build your relationship.Fascinating story of sakura and takahiro. Big romance into this anime film, where is everything. during the movie you may cry or may smile, because its up to you. Finally i want to finish my small discussion, if you want to change your world just look this movie and think a lot about final message, maybe sometimes we want to eat our loves pancreas !
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing!
Jazster9 February 2019
I was amazed how much thought was put into making this anime. Even the title, suprisingly, is extremely significant. Additionally, almost, if not, everything seamlessly tied together; even the seemingly trivial things. Overall great movie with a great theme. It had been a longtime since I was hit so hard by a movie; it has been a two days and I am still in the honeymoon phase.

I would recommend this movie to anyone who loves movies with great meaning behind them and does not mind crying...
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never ever miss this
kiyoya-7889321 July 2019
I don't know what to say. Its like putting a stone in our heart. If u understand the film thier will be no way u could stop the tear flowing from the heart. After all it will give only a negative feeling to us. But i just love this film. This film changes the view of love to me
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alright
nolaquinn17 August 2020
If I had watched this movie a year ago, I might have given it a higher score, but after watching A Silent Voice and Your Name I can't give it more than this.

Plotwise, it's very similar to Your Lie in April but with an older cast. I preferred YLIA more, but that might be because it's a series and you get more attached to the characters before they die. A focal point about these types of stories is the impact the main protagonist has on someone else, but with this movie, it fell short on that end in my opinion; we didn't get to see any of his changed, nor am I sure how exactly she influenced him in the first place. In terms of romance, well obviously, this isn't a romantic story p, but I really liked how they portrayed the dynamic between the two. It was somewhat realistic and subtle.

My biggest issue might be with the characters. Sakura is the typical anime girl; super cheery and almost a bit annoying, and her agenda becomes clear after 10 minutes into the movie. Kyoko is beyond obnoxious; we are expected to accept that she is this awful because she is Sakura's best friend, yet A) her actions are completely unreasonable and B) we hardly get to see any interaction between the 2 to empathize with her and understand their friendship. Haruki on the other hand was extremely likable, he might have been the only reason why I enjoyed this movie. He seemed relatable, contrary to everyone and the progression of his feelings towards Sakura was well portrayed.

In terms of animation is was in a similar style to Your Name but slightly worse, i.e still pretty good. I can't say anything about the soundtrack.

This movie is meant to make you emotional, but to me it hardly did, especially compared to A Silent Voice, which had crying like a baby after a couple of minutes into it. This might be because Sakura didn't seem very realistic to me so I couldn't bring myself to care enough.

I'll give it props for 1) it's title and 2) for the interesting plot twist at the end.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad movie. The reason for the mediocre score is merely that no matter which aspect you like about this movie, I know at least one other anime movie that does it way better. And it's weaknesses, are just too bothersome.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet November but as an anime
mohsen53 June 2020
That Movie is Very good from different thing but i think the storyline similar with Sweet November Movie (Charlize Theron) If I didn't see Sweet November i will give this movie 9/10 or more
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie
gabriellewq16 February 2019
This is one of the movies I ever watched it deserve an Oscar Nomination
6 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't watch it dubbed
cellamondegrine24 February 2019
The dub was awful. Bought a movie ticket, walked out after three minutes. They gave Sakura the most screechy, grating, hyper-emphasized voice you can imagine. Went home, watched the sub, it was pretty good. My habit of only watching subs has been upheld. The art was good if somewhat generic, and the plot, though it wasn't a literary masterpiece, kept me watching. It might not really be anything new, might be somewhat sentimental, but it was still an engaging and enjoyable movie. Sakura is a bit of a manic pixie dream girl, à la Kaori from Your Lie in April, but we get more believable depth and insight into her character than we did with Kaori. All in all, it was about the same quality and character as Your Name, but I liked it better. It wasn't something that I wouldn't want to live my life without watching, but it was pretty good.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
devahmedradwan6 September 2019
Movie name that i didn't imagined it will be this good ... but with the exceptional start of the movie that made me feel the impression what he can possibly do to surprise me at the end but still i was surprised ... i even shed tears. the way it make us relate to real life that we know that everybody we know and love will die some day but we choose to forget that we don't appreciate every day as much as we should that we started to talk about human relationships in simple terms although every relationship is unique in it's own way it's not always love, hate or friendship it's most of the time just complicated to name it with one easy word i really loved this movie that was close to reality as it could get in a movie without being boring i think this movie is underrated i am not saying it is the perfect movie but he deserve more attention i think
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best movie i've ever seen!
andreafavrin24 January 2019
I don't know why the author show in the first minutes of the film the funeral and the e-mail i will rate this film 10/10 if he remove these ,however I advise everyone to watch it, it contains excellent messages and scenes rarely found in others films
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Turely a great movie
sammanbaj5 October 2019
A great movie that we all should probably watch. I thought this movie was beautifuly presented and the story line was good as well It teaches us what life really is and how to live our life. It shows how a person can change a life of another person. Life and Death are a part of our life, No one has seen the future, so let's enjoy today. Who knows what will happen to us tomorrow.
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Romantic and delicate film.
IerarKos20 April 2020
Romantic, sweet and delicate film. The drawings are well done. The ending is an unexpected hit! Few things go like plans in life...
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A thoughtful story about death
diegoamadolivaran12 March 2020
I will confess: this movie made me cry. Just a little bit, but it did. And that's not common in me with movies, to be honest.

In general, I think it's a good anime film that happens to be also a good drama/romantic film. I don't know if I would put it among my favourites, probably not, but it's for sure a beautiful story worth watching.

What's the most important about this movie? It's a movie that makes you think about the meaning of death, but maybe more particulary, it makes you question yourself about different things related to that: what am I doing with my life? What is missing? What can I do to feel better? What will I do if my beloved one/best friend/family member is going to die?

That being said, I find a bit annoying the music sometimes or the attitude of the male protagonist, such a common stereotype in animes: the antisocial geek/nerd intelectual dude with problems to connect with people.

The ending is quite sad but works perfectly. There is a powerful message in this story that may catch you in a difficult moment, but it will always lead to some reflexive and beautiful perspective on this matter.

Definitely recommend.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I LIKED THIS MOVIE. MUST WATCH.
sherrifkavi23 January 2021
First of all this movie was amazing, this movie makes me driven into the flim , thats what i expect form all movies. I need to say please watch this movie alone and in one shot ,don't watch half now and half afterwards. I watched this movie night in sleeping time. Animation of this movie is very good , and don't do any research about this movie simply go and watch.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
HONESTLY, THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE I'VE EVER SEEN. I'VE NEVER CRIED SO MUCH WHILE WATCHING SOMETHING
visheshkumar-3073420 January 2021
My friend recommended me o watch this and all I want to say is that stop reading the reviews and go watch it now. This movie has a deep meaning of life and even if you're a cold hearted person, you will cry. Just go watch it. Best movie ever. I never expected to cry this much.
Tried To Cry
unniemulator18 January 2021
So My exams was finished so i looked which movie to watch and i saw a review on Youtube which after watching the video i gone and downloded the movie and i saw it just amazing like omg i had not seen a gem like this just good like super good i am not going to say spoilers but the last 10 min was so emotional that only little anime movies tried to cry ( even though i only cried at your name ) this is one of the movies that tried to make me cry but anyway when u gonna watch it there might be a chance where u might cry good luck with that
What is Life? And what does being alive mean
xandercyber13 January 2021
I know you are thinking what kind of heading is that but believe me after you watch this movie you will get the same thoughts. The main protagonist of the movie and i have a lot in common, thats why watching this movie felt like i was watching myself. To the readers i want to say that this movie is a must watch and it may also change your view about life. The music was good especially the ending song. Whenever i hear that song i feel like crying. Every second i spent in this movie was worth it. You can watch it with everyone in your family. Also the animation was so beautiful. Just go ahead and watch it already.