One Dollar (TV Series 2018– ) Poster

(2018– )

Why on earth the low ratings ?
jcgp6 September 2018
Sometimes IMDB really makes me question the sanity of some of it's reviewers. Anybody who visited this site and searched this show would see a very low score and probably not bother with it, the kicker is that this is a very, very good show! Pretty original drama, a few twists and turns, pretty decent casting and decent paced story line to go along with it. My review is based on the first 2 episodes, I would recommend giving this show a chance, it deserves one, it's a real hidden gem.
47 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
John Carroll Lynch AMAZING
susi-233-68738827 October 2018
This is an emotionally complex landscape encompassing love violence greed compassion and human calamity. The production is gorgeous and utterly "real". Mr. Lynch and cast are truly spectacular throughout the riveting storyline!
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WTF is reviewer Sandowl talking about?
lindiebayer6 September 2018
Only two episodes available at the time of this review.

This show is interesting as long as you're not an impatient millennial who wants a simple slasher/thriller. It has details. And a plot. And characters that have more than one layer. All good things, in my opinion.

I have no clue what an earlier reviewer was spouting about a bashed dog. Didn't happen. Unless the idiot got so mad about the storyline that he went out and killed his own dog. Or maybe he has access to later episodes and the killing he described has yet to happen, but the rest of his review sounded like he'd only seen the first episode. As I said, no clue.

Worth watching.
31 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent drama
dialey2 November 2018
Low key, but gripping. Good human interest stories around a murder mystery. Nice to have fresh faces, and down to earth characters instead of the usual Hollywood starlet/beautiful botoxed/face-lifted people. Loved it.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Innovative show
jonbergerdrums4 September 2018
I love one Dollar World class cast They managed to introduce many characters at once and small story lines Yet with clarity . They also Did not put an ending on episode one Left me clinging on until next week I can not wait
19 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Captivating
I love the storylines. It's very captivating. I hope there's another season.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Compelling mystery - No animals are hurt, killed in this show
rdphillips-1186619 September 2018
A mystery that doesn't follow the usual set-up, but it is very engaging and is well-paced. I have to concur with the other reviewer confused by another reviewer's statement that a dog is killed in this show. That person is not confused, they are outright lying. The dog in question is not hurt or even threatened and certainly not killed. I have no idea why someone would make something up, if only to dissuade potential viewers from checking out a show he didn't like.
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth a watch
adam_stouffer15 October 2018
Pretty good murder mystery with the Pittsburgh accent in all its glory. Don't pay attention to the artificially low rating.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
IGNORE THE LOW SCORE - UNDERATED GEM
maha1231 November 2018
Despite it's low review, I went with my better judgement and decided to watch One Dollar as the storyline intrigued me. I'm so glad I did as It's one of the better shows I've watched this year. From the start the viewer knows a crime has occured but wonderful writing allows multi character storylines to develop in a way that the crime itself becomes the backdrop and it's the personal stories of individuals that are the focus of the show. This can only be accomplished by great acting and original storytelling. Thoroughly deserves a better score than it currently has.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strong start, promising premise
mischiefmusical3 September 2018
Though I'm still getting used to streaming services that release episodes each week (instead of by season like Netflix, or weekly on air like cable), CBS All Access is making it worthwhile so far with One Dollar. I originally subscribed to watch Big Brother without a cable subscription but decided to give this new show a try when it premiered in late August.

It's gritty, but not disturbing in the same way Law and Order or CSI can be. You're not seeing anything too graphic. I like the depiction of the small town dynamics so far, with the clear distinction of how money separates the two sides of town. The cast of characters is very interesting so far, and they each seem to have their own underhanded dealings that we'll see more of in the rest of the season.

I saw someone else's review about an incident involving the dog, and without spoiling things, I just want to say that since they admittedly turned the show off at that point, they entirely misread what happened and missed the entire plot! The dog is fine, as is the (adorable) toddler. The single dad character is creepy, but they're doing a good job to show that he'll do whatever it takes to provide for his daughter, which I like.

Overall, I really like it so far! Lots of promise.
17 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic Drama
bhakti-637282 November 2018
A really well done series that captures not only the feel of post-recession middle America, but also weaves the lives of disparate characters together in a seamless story. It's a morality tale for our age, where good and evil are perhaps more complicated, but they are still there. Some of the episodes stray a bit far from the overall theme of the series, but they are certainly fun. Very well written , acted and directed. Up there with some of the best series being produced today.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Show!!!!
watlas-1938811 September 2018
One Dollar is my favorite thing to watch right now. Everything from the writing, to the acting, to the directing is executed beautifully. The show also does a fantastic job of dealing with race and class issues, which makes it all the more timely and engaging. I love the setting (a Rust Belt steel down in Pennsylvania) and both the characters and the locale feel truly authentic. For anyone who enjoys gritty suspenseful dramas with an aura of mystery, this is the show for you. In fact, I recommend this show to anyone who enjoys first rate entertainment. I can't say enough good things.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great show
swingingtaps8 September 2018
I'm having such a blast watching this show. Though I wish the show was network accessible and free to all, I'm privileged to be able to watch this show. The first episode was incredible. There is so much exposition and so many characters. I'm on the edge of my seat to see how they all weave together. The writing is great and cinematography is really so well done. I'm looking forward to watching more episodes and am alrwady so eager for a full season and a renewal!
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated gem
shannonyhan-358-49123316 September 2018
Really liking the series so far. Not understanding the low ratings at all.

Interesting hook and definitely worth a look.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very well done crime drama
simonlang112 September 2018
This is a great crime show that is definitely worth watching. If you like mysteries, television with good writing, or just good television in general then I highly recommend One Dollar. Must See TV!
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great new show--compelling!
heathergateslang11 September 2018
I love this show! After the first episode I was totally hooked. Great character development, and like another review says, the story develops with clarity while still leaving you on the edge of your seat. The plot is set within a small American town with a clear class divide, but the show's mystery effects the entire town. A really refreshing, suspenseful show that I can't wait to finish!
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great
mark-charleson6 September 2018
I just came across 1 dollar and it looks mighty promising already . If you haven't seen it check the film Out 1 dollar the series is like the book .
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Show with a Superb Cast. I'm hooked after the first episode.
s_bassin4 September 2018
I love these crime type drama's and this one grabbed me from the first episode. I can't wait to see how this unfolds. Great cast as well. A+++ in my book
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring
leahmaines3 September 2018
The show has a descent cast, but the storyline is boring. I really had no connection with any of the characters, and the one dollar gimmick didn't grab me to want to watch another episode.
17 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
lectureral3 November 2018
Having now watched the whole show I can confirm that the reviewer "Sandowl" is either confused or malevolent - in any case there is no bashing of dogs, not even a hint of such. Just nonsense.

The show is v well acted, has a strong story line and some great characters. It should be running well above 7.0 in the ratings. Not quite sure why it isn't. Maybe not enough action or too reflective for some viewers.

Anybody who enjoys a good story and some great acting should watch this.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoying so far, interested to check out more!
barbiep-196-2381812 September 2018
My spoiler is THE DOG IS FINE. HE DID NOT KILL HIS DOG!

Don't listen to the hypersensitive 1 star review, that didn't actually watch the show. Scene: Main character is in the woods you and you see blood on his face. (This is about 12 minutes in to episode 1.)

I'm guessing that's where that particular reviewer just assumed they knew what had happened and stopped watching all together and wrote an inaccurate review.

If they had watched about 10 seconds more they would see the dog is fine. The dog is shown happily playing again in the episode later.

So what's with the blood on his face? Check it out to find out.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb
stazy898 September 2018
Toppkvalitet och fängslande story, rollistan sådär bra skådisar.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting show
Michelle-654-5540403 November 2018
I really liked the screenplay, as it was unique in many ways. The direction was interesting too.

I thought it was going to be very conservative seeing that it aired on CBS, but it wasn't.

There was swearing, the topics addressed in the show were issues that we are ALL facing as a country now & have been for a long time. It addresses (if people are paying attention) WHY crony capitalism is terrible for EVERYONE, & why people are forced to commit crimes.

These topics should be recognized & discussed as a whole country, as well as with the entire world, as it's not just American that is going through this.

The acting was good too, and there were times when it made me chuckle.

There was also nostalgia in certain areas.

I hope it returns for a second season.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love it!
nygee1 November 2018
One Dollar is an eloquently paced drama/thriller. Episode 1 had me a bit edgy as it places the viewer seemingly ahead of where we should start. However, recognizing that is probably my own OCD talking, I sat back and allowed myself to follow the lead of the director of the show. Glad I did 😊 The characters do develops on their own and instead of having to try and remember each of the backstories, I was able to get to "know" the characters. I am hoping the series is renewed for several seasons! I think there is so much more to the stories and the characters. Great job of the cast and crew. There is somewhat of a melodic flow to how the characters interact, which shows the tremendous talent and effort that has been put into the show.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
On the same plane as The Wire, like reading a great novel
A good mystery that could give The Wire a run for its money on realism, intelligence, depth, ironic humor, and character credibility. Bingeworthy. The only thing I didn't like about it is that, although we follow a lot of characters and their complex connections to the main mysterious crime, this is a story about that one crime. So it's more like a mini-series than a renewable, multi-season show that could go on for as long as they keep coming up with story ideas.

What's truly wonderful are the scripts. It's so rare to find a show where the dialog seems like something real people would really say. There are no stereotypical, typecast characters here like "the good guy," "the hero private eye," "the hero's wife," or "the damsel in distress." There are no mindless, predictable car chases or CGI-augmented, but implausible action scenes. It's interesting because you believe all of the people involved can think and have choices, same as you or me. I watch because I want to know what they'll they're going to do next, or what they have done that's brought them into a mess. And from time to time the dialog is clever and funny.

I recognized a few faces in the cast like Deidre O'Connell, John Carroll Lynch from The Drew Carey Show, Greg Gerrman from Ally McBeal, and a couple of Boardwalk Empire veterans, Aleksa Palladino and Erik LaRay Harvey. There are no megastars. Everyone turned in good work, usually playing someone completely different from the roles that made them famous. Kirrilee Berger, literally a teenager playing a teenager (they're usually twenty-five year olds playing 18, right?), steals every scene she's in. She's magnetic, sympathetic,graceful, and convincing. I'm sure she's bound for great things.

There should be more TV like this. TV with brains and heart, that doesn't make us feel foolish for wasting our time on it. Like after finishing a good novel, I felt very satisfied when it ended. Hope to see the creator do something just as good soon!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.