Cobra Kai (TV Series 2018– ) Poster

(2018– )

2,157 Reviews
William Zabka steals the show!
AGood3 May 2018
I have just this moment finished episode 10. I am literally on a massive high right now. This is probably the best TV series I have seen since I first watched Game of Thrones. This is TV at its most epic best.

The thing that makes this TV show is William Zabka. Why he has only been in Karate Kid and nothing much more is a mystery as this guy can act and has amazing screen presence and comedy timing.

This TV show was so good it literally makes me want to go out tomorrow and sign up for karate classes and learn Cobra Kai style.

I strongly recommend everyone watches this as this is way better than that stupid remake with Will Smiths son, better than all the sequels and to be honest better than the first Karate Kid movie too.

William Zabka needs to be cast in other TV roles too. He is up there with the best for TV/movie Anti-hero's; Snake Plissken, Tyler Durdan and now after this Johnny Lawrence.
771 out of 854 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much better than it has any business being!
DiCaprioFan1328 September 2022
Cobra Kai is so much better than I thought it would be. It takes place 34 years after the events of the first movie and the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament. It follows a down on his luck Johnny Lawrence (William Zavala) as he tries to get his life straightened out and opens up the famous Cobra Kai dojo. This reignites his rivalry with the successful Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio). I grew up a Karate Kid fan but wasn't sure what to expect from this and thought it would be some cheap kiddy money grab. I'm glad I was wrong. It's so much better than it has any business being, especially William Zabka! He absolutely is the star of this show as Johnny Lawrence. You root for him in this more than Daniel. I can't say enough about how good Zabka is here. It's a shame he hasn't become a bigger star over the years because he shows he can carry a show here. Looking forward to more seasons in the future?
20 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very smartly written & acted - highly recommended
user-322-3261563 May 2018
I was a teen in the 80's and enjoyed watching this film - as most guys my age did. I was a little skeptical when I saw that they were making a new series that takes place 30 years after the movie ended. But once I saw the trailers - I felt like they might be on to something. After watching several episodes - I can tell you that they nailed it. This is the best show out there - anywhere. It's not over acted (or under acted). It's not corny or stupid either. It's the perfect match up of seriousness with a few goofs or references from the 80's thrown in here & there. This revival could have been a disaster but it looks like they got the perfect combo of writers, directors & actors. It's funny, because as a kid - I wanted to punch Johnny in the throat as hard as I could. But as a 40-something year old - I'm kinda rooting for him. Great job to the people responsible for making this happen - and of course it couldn't have happened without Ralph & William. Thank you!
855 out of 928 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cobra Kai never dies
Calicodreamin20 January 2021
This show is the perfect mix of nostalgia, great 80s music, and badass karate. William Zabka makes this show as Johnny Lawrence, he is everything. Storylines are interesting, action scenes are well coordinated, and everyone and their brother comes back from the movies. It's lovely.
101 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Zabka shows it was no mistake he got so many roles in the 80's
bobnet843 May 2018
Problem is he was typecast and never given a chance to shine. In, Cobra Kai it's his show and he shows a side of Johnny that is a true human experience.
271 out of 301 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great Reunion Show, With Much More to Offer
kjproulx11 May 2018
For so many reasons, I never felt that I was going to ever watch this series, let alone feel the need to review it, but did I ever eat my words when watching the first season of Cobra Kai. After the success of the original Karate Kid film, three lukewarm sequels were formed as a result of its success, and while they weren't ever known as abominations, I never needed anything more from this franchise. When the original film was reimagined and cast Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan in the lead roles, I really had no thoughts about ever seeing the original cast members again, but once again I've been proven wrong. Here's why this first season of Cobra Kai is better than anything that has come out since the original film that had any relevance to The Karate Kid.

Decades later, Daniel LaRusso now owns a car company and lives a very wealthy and happy life with his wife and two children. Since his life has become that of a fairytale ending, the show is focussing far more on that of Johnny Lawrence. Fired from countless jobs and barely getting by, Lawrence finds himself reopening his old dojo in order to face his past demons. Gaining a new trainee in Miguel, this character fits the persona of Larusso from the original film pretty well, but there are definitely differences. Everyone has their share of arcs to go through from the time this show starts, until the very last shot of this season, but the most interesting character for myself was Robby Keene, played by Tanner Buchanan.

This is a character that you start off hating, but then realize you may have to rethink your thoughts on the entire show after just a couple episodes. Yes, Ralph Macchio gives his all here and William Zabka impressed the hell out of me every time a comedic or dramatic moment would arise for his character, but I found myself emotionally invested in Robby the most. There are many subplots and callbacks that relate to past events, but they never feel forced. They are either done in a playful way or used as a tool to further this new story. I never once found myself annoyed when portions of the classic story were referenced.

This brings me to my experience of this show in general. From the music choices to the call back with the very recognizable score, this is a show with a lot of energy when it needs to be exciting, while also being a show that displays no fear in slowing down for emotional or tender moments between characters. There were multiple occasions when it felt clear that the writers had kept a close eye on character details when weaving classic storylines into this television series. What also surprised me was the fact that footage is used from the original film every now and then in order to fill in the gaps for those who may not have seen the original movie from the 80s.

In the end, Cobra Kai is a worthy successor to The Karate Kid legacy and I can't wait to see where they go next. I hope this show is renewed because many possibilities are left wide open at the end of this season. To put it bluntly, I never expected to love a show that I thought looked absolutely atrocious from its trailers, but I honestly can't recommend checking this out enough. Great nostalgia for people who grew up watching the original movies and also features great life lessons for young viewers who wish to start fresh with this show instead of catching up with previous installments. For everything this show sets out to accomplish, it does so in spades and always keeps you guessing. Yes, there are some very cheesy moments, but that's also what make the original movies such a joy to watch. Aside from cringing at a few lines of dialogue, I absolutely loved watching Cobra Kai. I can't wait for more.

Now streaming on YouTube Red, this show is worth a subscription to their service alone. Definitely check this one out.
23 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So much better than I thought it would be!
Supermanfan-1321 July 2020
Cobra Kai is so much better than I thought it would be. I grew up a Karate Kid fan but wasn't sure what to expect from this and thought it would be some cheap kiddy money grab. I'm glad I was wrong. It's so much better than it has any business being, especially William Zabka! He absolutely is the star of this show as Johnny Lawrence. You root for him on this more than Daniel (Ralph Macchio).
28 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Whoa
staunton-gary15 January 2021
Very surprised by Cobra Kai. Was it perfect, no it was not. Some of the actors didn't suit their characters, but it didn't spoil the series. Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio) isn't as annoying as he was in the original movie and he still does that stupid walk. Mostly, his acting suits the part. Johnny Lawrence (William Zabka) basically holds the series together, he's the hero without being the hero, he's anti-hero without being an anti-hero. His acting and character just work. Bit's of it are a bit cheesy, fortunately the filler scenes are not too often, but it doesn't spoil the series. Both Ralph Macchio and William Zabka were co-executive producer/executive producers. I would recommend this series.
23 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Are you kidding me? This was absolutely phenomenal...
paul_haakonsen10 August 2018
I must admit that I skipped on this when I first heard of it. I mean, come on the good guy and bad guy from the first (and ancient) "Karate Kid" movie making a return to a series about the very same characters. And it being a YouTube production didn't really help win me over either.

But after having heard so many speak fondly of it, I decided to give it a chance. And I must admit that I ended up binge-watching all ten episodes. Sure, I liked the "Karate Kid" movies when I was a kid, but they weren't all that outstanding. However, this 2018 series really had something to offer.

It was actually amazingly fun and entertaining to see both Ralph Macchio return to reprise the Daniel LaRusso character, but even more entertaining to see William Zabka return to visit the Johnny Lawrence character. Zabka really stepped up and performed the you-know-what out of reprising this character, it was just phenomenal.

The storyline in "Cobra Kai" was good, although it started to turn into a farce towards the last couple of episodes with situations from the original movie being re-used albeit presented with a new skin on it. That was a little bit too unoriginal for my liking. But aside from that, then "Cobra Kai" was wholeheartedly entertaining from start to end.

And having seen the 2018 "Cobra Kai", then it actually puts the 1984 "Karate Kid" in a whole new perspective. What if Daniel LaRusso wasn't the innocent kid that he was made out to be? He did a lot of bully things in that movie actually. Have we been mislead by the 1984 classic movie and the LaRusso character all together?

Regardless, "Cobra Kai" was a glorious trip back memory lane, and it was wonderful to see the growth and situations that both Daniel and Johhny had ended up in.

As for the ending of the series... Well, that was a great way of ending it. Was it predictable? For sure. But it was still good, nonetheless.

This is definitely something that you should take the time and effort to sit down and watch if you have the time and the chance, and especially if you grew up watching the "Karate Kid" movies, at least the first two... the latter and the remake, let's just pretend they never happened.

Good entertaining in every aspect, and a good combination of good storyline, action, drama, character development, and dialogue. This definitely took me by surprise.
54 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OMG - brilliant
RussHog5 May 2018
Wow - this story is brilliant. Everything a good nostalgia show should be. It maybe the best first season of any revival of a franchise I have ever seen. So many classics are destroyed by trans media marketing or low quality writing or incoherent premise...but this is an exceptional use of the classic Karate Kid characters.

Karate Kid was directed by the director of Rocky, and while never the same classic it always held a really close place in my life as a story of an underdog who earns the respect of his peers. This show takes the finale of that film and follows how the rivalry continues over thirty years later.

Congrats to the team who made this - !
27 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great For Karate Kid Fans From 80s and Latest Generation
r3volution113 May 2018
This series brought me back to my childhood and how much I loved the movies and characters growing up. It surprised how well the characters are brought up to date and now involve the younger generation. There's still a lot to be taught, and learned.
325 out of 363 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply amazing!
frankblack-7996125 April 2019
Rarely do I feel that a show or movie deserves a perfect score. After just finishing season 2, I must give this show it's due. As a child I was able to see the first 2 movie in the theater, and like most boys my age I was captivated by the martial arts and probably had my first on- screen crush with Elizabeth Shue. That being said, if you were a fan of these movies, then you will be completely rewarded in this tv show. It captures almost every aspect from the movies from the music to the characters in a way I have almost never seen before in my years. Bravo to the writers, actors and to YouTube for putting together a triumph of cinema that pays all dues to what came before. Bravo.
21 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What an awesome show
Kingslaay22 November 2020
Impressed, captivated and engaged are the words that come to mind for Cobra Kai. This is what we need from shows, to take unique and interesting angles. Cobra Kai flips the script and gives us the view from Johnny Lawrence, this is really his story. He's the one who lost and turns out to be a real person with very real flaws. Cobra Kai intrigues us with its great narrative. No more one dimensional 'Good vs Evil' story we've all been told a million times over. This reflects the feelings of the 'loser' of the memorable 1984 film Karate Kid and picks up 34 years later. Because of this narrative and spin I find Johnny to be an inspirational figure by trying his best to rebuild his life. Johnny is a very down to earth and simple character and is making the most of the hand dealt to him, isn't that how we live our lives? In a funny way we see the arrogance and attitude sometimes from Daniel Larusso who was originally the hero. Top marks for a great show.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cobray Kai is incredible !!!
ahmedgorshy24 September 2020
Cobray Kai is incredible !!! I cannot believe it. I watched this series very eagerly and wanted more after I ended, and although the series has not ended yet, I still think that I miss it and I am losing my mind, waiting for another year to watch the third season! This show is one of the best things I've seen in many years, there is no single series in which all episodes are exactly the same, but Cobra Kai made it. I will not say anything more, but if you haven't watched this series yet, you are more than lucky to start this great journey. My rate : 9.8
40 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wax on
bevo-136785 October 2020
Awesome show. Johnny Lawrence is and has always been the REAL karate kid
55 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Very Well Done
nowego13 May 2018
As a huge and I mean huge fan of the original (I wore out two VHS tapes of this I watched it so much and lost count after 100 viewings), I was a bit skeptical about a series set 30 years after the original movie.

I am happy to say the makers of this series did not let me down, I just finished binge watching all 10 epsiodes and expect there will be many repeated viewings. Very very well done and the flashbacks brought back so many memories, just brilliant.

Good to see the original actors back in one place which must have been a bit of a task, but wow it was worth it.

This is a must see for any fans of the original movie. Anyone who has not seen the original movie must see it before viewing this series, you will not be disappointed.

I came very close to giving this a 10.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How it should be done.
twanster-9765513 September 2020
Hollywood, take note. I rarely watch reboots and remakes because they always say the same thing "new cast for a new generation" bla bla, then we end up with trash like ghost busters that could have been a massive hit if they'd used the original casts.. Back to this tho, seeing the old faces and old grudges is brilliant, the acting is spot on, it doesn't rob the originals of there charm and it's great to see these characters back on the screen. I hope for more seasons and more original casts come into it. I also love the constant tributes to Mr miyagi and how they've managed to throw in so many elements that made the movies so good. Can't wait for more seasons. Spot on.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a great show
Feels like a realistic portrayel of who these characters would be in today's society. Writing is great and clever.
114 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cobra Kai Strikes First!
Tweetienator14 May 2018
Wonderful and delicious - if you like the first The Karate Kid (1984) movie. Top acting, good and interesting storytelling, some oldschool karate, some nice twists and adds to the original story. Luckily the writers know their stuff and don't try to make something total different of the original material but stay to the core of The Karate Kid movie and add here and there some new stuff which, o wonder, actually makes sense.

Anyway, especially watching William Zabka and Ralph Macchio as adults holding up their grudge against each other is a great pleasure, and they act very good indeed. Cobra Kai - really good show that hit me out of nowhere and beats easy 90% of all currently aired shows.

Add: in mid of season 3 I quit watching, sometimes you should just know when to stop.
30 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cobra Kai is back baby!!
mtyducs3 May 2018
Great job incorporating the old movies along with a new story. Watching all episodes today for sure and eagerly await season 2. Zabka is more bad ass than he was in the 80s.

The new cast, Diaz and my boy Hawk, are going to provide for a long and exciting future for Cobra Kai. It was fun watching them evolve into Cobra Kai badasses. But make no mistake about it, Zabka is the show. I'm sure it really has been a long 30 years for Zabka and could not be happier for the guy.

Zabka owns the smirk!!
54 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cobra Kai! Cobra Kai! Cobra Kai!
ThereelscoopwithKK1 October 2022
Now this show is the definition of a good time and all around fun. It connects perfectly to the Karate Kid series while adapting the story to modern times. It's amazing to see all of the actors return in their roles this many years later.

For me the first 4 seasons were preferable to the 5th as the Daniel vs Johnny feuds were just so epic. Obviously they had to move on from this storyline eventually and believe they made the right decision doing it in season 5 as they need to make some changes to not allow for the story to become stale.

The major downside to this series is the short episodes. It's not hard to finish a season shortly after it's release leaving you waiting another year for the next season. Of course, this is a good problem to have though.

I'm sure going to miss this series when they decide there is no more content left to explore . Hopefully we still have a couple more years of Karate chaos to enjoy before the dojos decide to close up shop for the final time.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprised, it's that good.
Horror_Flick_Fanatic1 September 2020
I am genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed this TV series. Originally I dismissed it as a YoutubeTV original pulling on the nostalgia strings of my generation. I didn't think it was worth getting YoutubeTV just for this one show. But now that the show has made its appearance on Netflix, I gave it a chance.

I really really like it. Genuinely funny. The billboard/D jokes were hysterical, especially when Armanda LaRusso (Courtney Henggeler) joins in the ribbing of Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio), I broke out in laughter.

I've only watched Season 1 as of this review but I can't wait to get started on Season 2.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
S1-10, S2-7, S3-6, and S4-5
dm-921943 January 2022
Season 1 of CobraKai is by far the best. Season 4 is teens making childish decisions and adults making childish decisions. If you love the films you'll appreciate the TV show. William Zabka's Johnny Lawrence is excellent as always and Daniel LaRusso will always be the moral heart of the show. Season 4 was a letdown. It's just teens and the adults all making ridiculous decisions.
14 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Whoever's idea this was it was genius
elliotjeory11 September 2020
My review is a little biased as I loved the karate kid when I were younger but I really enjoyed this it was awesome, what a throwback series! I enjoyed all the little in-jokes referencing the original film and it was great to see most of the original cast back. There's some genuinely funny moments in this show it has a subtle comedy undertone to it which I love. I'm looking forward to season 3 already.
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
season 1 is excellent season 2 pretty good. Season 3 is cool but very corny and super predictable.
rukstar696 May 2018
I have to admit as excited I was about this I didn't have high expectations but man was this series cool. The story is very well written and not as predictable as I thought it would be. The acting is pretty solid as well. A must see for any 80's kid or a Karate Kid fan.

Season 2 and 3 Update:

After being blown away by season 1 season 2 drops off a little but that's expected. Season 3 becomes a Disney series with high predictability but it's still remains fun. William Zabka who plays Johnny I feel completely steals the show. These fights scenes are pretty hard to watch. All these old characters coming back make the show palatable. I'll bet dollars to donuts I know how 4 will go. All the clues are right there in season 3. Like I said high predictably.

Season 4 Update:

This series has gotten completely ridiculous. The acting is terrible and the story is so predictable. I'm Not surprised. It was great while it lasted.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.