Cobra Kai (TV Series 2018– ) Poster

(2018– )

1,787 Reviews
Very smartly written & acted - highly recommended
user-322-3261563 May 2018
I was a teen in the 80's and enjoyed watching this film - as most guys my age did. I was a little skeptical when I saw that they were making a new series that takes place 30 years after the movie ended. But once I saw the trailers - I felt like they might be on to something. After watching several episodes - I can tell you that they nailed it. This is the best show out there - anywhere. It's not over acted (or under acted). It's not corny or stupid either. It's the perfect match up of seriousness with a few goofs or references from the 80's thrown in here & there. This revival could have been a disaster but it looks like they got the perfect combo of writers, directors & actors. It's funny, because as a kid - I wanted to punch Johnny in the throat as hard as I could. But as a 40-something year old - I'm kinda rooting for him. Great job to the people responsible for making this happen - and of course it couldn't have happened without Ralph & William. Thank you!
831 out of 906 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ITS SO GOOD, ITS UNBELIEVABLE
lukepollack3 May 2018
I remember watching the Karate Kid films as a kid, and I cannot express enough how impressed and surprised at the level of quality of this series. It successfully brings back the old "feel" of the films, while adding a new and complex storyline. It really embodies the legacy of the rivalry, and yet rebores the spirt of the films to a degree that is just unprecedented. I can't wait to see what they do in Season 2. Amazing job YouTube!
587 out of 647 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
William Zabka steals the show!
AGood3 May 2018
I have just this moment finished episode 10. I am literally on a massive high right now. This is probably the best TV series I have seen since I first watched Game of Thrones. This is literally TV at its most epic best.

The thing that makes this TV show is literally William Zabka. Why he has only been in Karate Kid and nothing much more is a mystery as this guy can act and has amazing screen presence and comedy timing.

This TV show was so good it literally makes me want to go out tomorrow and sign up for karate classes and learn Cobra Kai style.

I strongly recommend everyone watches this as this is way better than that stupid remake with Will Smiths son, better than all the sequels and to be honest better than the first Karate Kid movie was too.

William Zabka needs to be cast in other TV roles too. He is up there with the best for TV/movie Anti-hero's; Snake Plisskan, Tyler Durdan and now after this Johnny Lawrence.
657 out of 732 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absurdly Good
felipemc4 May 2018
The answer has finally come to the age old question of "How can you introduce nuance into a cut-and-dry good-vs-evil 80's classic" and it comes in the form of COBRA KAI. While there are many a homage to the film(s) that spawned it, Cobra Kai makes its own name for itself by (gasp) being very well written, and introducing depth to the degree that neither Johnny nor Daniel-San is really "the good guy" or "the bad guy". They both make poor decisions, both are dealing with the traumas of their youth (which, in Danny's case, comes down to Johnny himself in many ways), and they both pass on the positive and negative experiences to their children and/or students in various ways. Danny is often motivated by petty revenge and unable to see any good in Johnny and his Cobras (and not entirely for no reason), and Johnny may be saving himself from....himself and his past and giving his students confidence, but also seems to be making them somewhat into monsters. The show is able to balance all this thematically and do so with poignancy and humor. Unlike, say, an hour-and-a-half long movie, the show is able to burn much more slowly and spend time with its characters and their pasts to provide a tremendous amount of depth. This might even be the thing that makes Youtube Red worth paying for. I'm legitimately hyped for season 2, what the hell. (While I won't spoil the last-minute sting in the final episode, needless to say it's a biggie).

Really watch it, you'll be suprised. Hawk is indeed ourguy
308 out of 347 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great For Karate Kid Fans From 80s and Latest Generation
r3volution113 May 2018
This series brought me back to my childhood and how much I loved the movies and characters growing up. It surprised how well the characters are brought up to date and now involve the younger generation. There's still a lot to be taught, and learned.
325 out of 369 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is how Star Wars should have been treated...
As a typical 80's kid who grew up watching Karate Kid hundreds of times, I can truly say that this show does justice to my childhood memories. It's not perfect and can be a little cheesy at times, but all of that is easily forgiven with the magic instilled in this show.

The creators did a wonderful job in tying in moments from the original and making them fit with the new. The soundtrack is definitely up to par with the movies, but also adds a little bit of a modern twist to it.

Last night I finished episode 7 and all I could think was, "I wish Disney had paid this much respect to the new Star Wars movies as these guys did with Cobra Kai".

It's a great show and I'm trying my best to savor the last few episodes...
269 out of 306 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Zabka shows it was no mistake he got so many roles in the 80's
bobnet843 May 2018
Problem is he was typecast and never given a chance to shine. In, Cobra Kai it's his show and he shows a side of Johnny that is a true human experience.
224 out of 255 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything You Would Hope
Kroshaw3 May 2018
It's corny, predictable, steeped in 1980's nostalgia, full of nods to the original... and those are just some of the reasons to LOVE it! Credit to everyone involved in the making of this series. If you are a fan of the original films then this is going to be exactly what you are looking for. John Avildsen and Pat Morita are definitely here in spirit. Perfect for binge-watching and for transporting yourself back 30 years! :)
190 out of 217 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth every penny, amazing.
I was a big KK fan back in the day and this ticks all the nostalgia boxes while managing to be awesome in it's own right. The acting is great, the story is great and it takes the plot in directions I never expected while making you feel for the characters.

Great work, bring on the next season :D
213 out of 249 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THE BEST BEST BEST BEST EVER!!!!
pkountanis-625328 January 2021
I have no words to describe how this series makes me feel! I just want to say a huge thank you for what you give us and for the wonderful memories! I'm really excited! is the best I have seen so far. I wish it never stopped! May you all be well and healthy! cobra kai never dies !! THANK YOU ALL !!!
29 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm still finding it hard to breathe.
angelmhuerta4 May 2018
Cobra Kai is, hands down, the best series ever made. Perfectly crafted, inch by inch, to bring back the essence of the original film. This is how you do a sequel. I enjoyed every second of it.
166 out of 199 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No mercy
hurleysurferr3 May 2018
Great show, surprised Netflix didn't pick it up. Can't wait for the next season.
154 out of 187 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Defeat does not exist in this Dojo!
JarekReanimated3 May 2018
I didn't have many expectations going into this show, or at least, I didn't have high expectations. The ones I did have were that of a fun low budget romp down memory lane. But this is so much more than that. The production values are great, the casting is great, the plot, the writing, the tone, pacing, soundtrack. It's all great start to finish and it has what Mr. Miyagi taught us, balance. It seems to hit so many right notes without pushing anything too far, the comedy is just right, the emotional moments, just right, the cheese, the action, just right. It also does a great job of leaving the viewer to decide who the real heroes and villains are because unlike the movies nothing here is black and white.

If you've seen the films, you will really enjoy this. If you haven't, you'll probably really enjoy it anyway. It stands on its own and feels modern, but as a continuity, 30 years later, it does this masterfully and very respectfully to its past and its source without heavily relying on it.

BANSAI!!!
112 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great memories and a great show!
gkmstr772 May 2018
I loved these movies as a kid and all of the memories just flooded back. I love the journey all of the characters go through and I binged the whole thing with a smile on my face the whole time.
130 out of 158 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
10/10 THIS SHOW GOT ME SO HYPED UP
wfearif8 January 2021
This show is better then it has to be. Soon as it came out on new year I locked myself in my room all 10 hours no sleep to watch it and it was the best and I do not regret it
18 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crane Kicked it out of the park
amazon-180614 May 2018
Fantastic refreshing show. Feels like a genuine continuation of the movies with Daniel and Johnny both been plucked out of the 80s and dropped into the 21st Century. The writers have not tried to make everything politically correct which really helps to keep it fresh (Unlike Star Wars - The Last Jedi). Johnny has some brilliant one-liners which whilst really offensive add to the comedic value.

Daniel and Johnny have several layers of complexity and clearly are missing something from their lives which will be good to see develop. The new characters also add to the enjoyment. They are total opposites to the school kids in the movies. Within a few episodes you can see these develop as well.

The writers have given fans what they want without giving the story away (Again something which Star Wars - The Last Jedi) couldn't get right.

Living in the UK we don't get YouTube Red but was able to purchase each episode individually. Well worth the extra cost. Can't wait for the next season.
115 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a great show
Feels like a realistic portrayel of who these characters would be in today's society. Writing is great and clever.
109 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cobra Kai is a worthy continuation of The Karate Kid!!!!
udderlystoopid3 May 2018
The Karate Kid III and The Next Karate Kid were awful. I consider The first film and the second to stand on their own. Cobra kai, unlike the unworthy sequels, is definitely worthy of Its production. I really hope that the second season is given a green light quickly, it's such a great experience. I watched the entire series in one day, I would have watched it in one direct sitting if possible. The story line has already been laid out for everyone here by the trailers and others comments. I would just add that if you're a Karate Kid fan, even if only the first two films, I cannot see how you would be disappointed with this series. It's extremely well done, pays homage to the original film in many great ways and stands so well 34 years later! Highly recommended!!!!
101 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shockingly Brilliant!
zerojae174 May 2018
I couldn't keep my eyes off the screen. This was the sequel to karate kid we all deserve.
77 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hollywood take note
deepc-188-2062044 May 2018
There are many things to like about this series. Probably the best thing for me is its rejection of political correctness and victimhood culture. Actually, rejection is a strong word and this isn't a protest piece by any means but there is definitely a theme of taking responsibility for one's own fate and confronting adversity with resilience and even some agression. (The show is intelligent enough to portray overt agression or anger as counterproductive). There is one great scene during a karate tournament where a competitor starts pretentiously virtue signalling to the crowd. The reaction of Johnny Lawrence is priceless. Hopefully Hollywood takes note that virtue signalling is not a prerequisite for great entertainment. It's great to see a show that is intelligent with messages to tell but doesn't take itself too seriously.
136 out of 171 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow
imyerreaper3 May 2018
Went in with little expectations and was very impressed. Well directed and acted with a great story
85 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic series!! H O L Y S H I E T!!!
Pabben823 May 2018
I also thought from the trailer that this just was gonna be another "meh" story. Boy was I wrong. This is great through and through, fantastic acting, writing and directing. A must see!
74 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Unexpected Surprise
kylesimmer3 May 2018
This was unexpected. After seeing the commercial for this back in March, I was a little hesitant on watching this. But being a big fan of the first 2 movies (and just watching the 3rd), I knew I had to watch it. I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly rewarded.

The story took liberties and it paid off. Yes, some (if not a lot) of these liberties might be considered a little cheesy, but that was the point. I found myself laughing out loud at most of them. Johnny had most these moments throughout the series, although Daniel had the biggest one (Episode 10, near the end...I won't spoil it). The flashbacks were important to story, and the story flowed better because of them.

As for the acting... it was mainly good. There were a few over the top moments. But the main cast was, mostly, spot on. Ralph Macchio (Daniel) and William Zabke (Johnny) have both outdone themselves. I few moments here and there were bit too much for me, but all in all, they were both great. Courtney Henngeler (Amanda, Daniel's wife) and Mary Mouser (Sam, Daniel's daughter) were both flawless through out the series. The rest of the cast (mainly the younger members) all performed OK to me. There were really great moments from all, but also some really horrible moments from them too.

In the end, it's a must see. I can't wait for Season 2
98 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very well made and amazing acting!!
campnurse323 May 2018
I wasn't sure if I'd like the show but wow me and my husband love it. We're already half way thru in one day. It's well made and I love the no good guys no bad guys aspects- they all have their issues and it makes you like both of them and I love the new characters as well. I can't wait for season 2 and I haven't even finished season one!!! Love it!!
91 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Literally smiled the whole time...
middletownfan3 May 2018
Not just nostalgia but a great storyline! I love the rivalry and relationship between Johnny and Daniel. A can't miss, must watch!
70 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.