Superintelligence (2020) Poster

Don't take life so seriously
siesha28 November 2020
This is a rom-com not a sci-fi movie. It's just a fun little romp, take it for what it's worth. I did take an entire star away for spelling Pike Place Market wrong. 😁
42 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasn't a bad movie.
jkregear27 November 2020
It's a romantic comedy, but all in all it had a lot of funny parts throughout and my spouse and I both enjoyed it. I feel like the 4.6 rating currently is lower than it deserves for sure.
33 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More enjoyable than most of Melissa McCarthy movies.
ammonhallsted27 November 2020
My wife and I thought it was very cute. The superintelligent computer was less plot and more a vehicle for the romance, but did have its share of laughs. We found the jokes and the chemistry of the couple very similar to our own, which always brings a breath of realism to a movie. Well done guys!
36 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Light Hearted Fun
jonosborne-382-99976527 November 2020
Surprised at all the bad review. Very entertaining and funny. A definite 6 out of 10.
27 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Its OK
SeattleBadger26 November 2020
I like Melissa McCarthy but anytime she acts in one of her husband's films, I know I need to lower my expectations. Ben Falcone, you're ruining your wife's career!! 😡
45 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Charming and funny
Cheryl-oeste27 November 2020
Despite the negative reviews I really enjoyed this charming, simple and funny movie. It is pleasant relief from the terrible year that is upon us. Just enjoy it! Some things don't need to be deep, although it makes a point that humans are their own worst enemy and we need to do more and step up!
30 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why does this have a low rating?!
kyleecoyote7917 December 2020
This movie is cute and funny! The acting is great! If you want to watch a feel good movie just for the fun of it, watch this. It's adorable and entertaining. I have no idea why it's only got a 5 rating.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too many chances
mennivetvadjagmenar27 November 2020
Ben Falcone has gotten too many chances. Melissa McCarthy used to be one of my favorite comedy actresses. But this is the last drop. Spending a nice friday on this film when nobody tried their best making it. Nobody
29 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun!
rainydayinmay-117 January 2021
Sweet, cute, fun movie! Reviews on here were obviously looking for something far more elaborate that what the advertisements promised.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Super Forgettable
magnoliaflower-7679126 November 2020
The beginning started to engage me but as the movie continued I realized how stall the jokes grew. It would have been nice to enjoy this movie and unfortunately this is another miss for Melissa. I recommend if you really really want to watch it, have a drink or 2.
38 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a waste of time.
acejokke27 November 2020
How this can be called a comedy I will never understand. The only thing that you can laugh about is how stupid you were watching it to the end.
45 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bobby Cannavale made it a 2 star movie
Sergiodave27 November 2020
My review title is saying that in the best possible way. Without Bobby Cannavale this would have been a 1 star movie, he can act, and I feel sorry for him being in this excrement. Absolutely awful. Full of so-called comedians who are not funny at all, and also cannot act, together with a script that is mindbogglingly terrible. Whoever okayed this rubbish must surely have been fired. Please do not waste your time on this garbage.
42 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Note to self.... never, ever watch a Melissa McCarthy film ever again...
contactmaz27 November 2020
I think, but I'm not sure, she used to be in some funny films but this was truly painful to watch. Not one single laugh and the acting from all was stiff and pathetic. How can writers, editors, directors etc. make pathetic crap like this and think they've done anything creative? Even anything remotely creative???

Embarrassed to have admitted to have watched this tripe!
49 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice and Different Rom-com
drober198023 December 2020
One thing I learned a very long time ago, is that everybody's sense of humor is different. Hated Bill Crosby's humor but loved Cheers. Everybody is different. I am very hard to make laugh, but this movie had me laughing quite a bit. So, for me an 8 of 10. A different kind of a Rom-Com and definitely not a Hallmark love story, if that's what you are looking for. The super intelligence's humor had me laughing quite often. Give it a try.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Loved This!
chrisfanning20 December 2020
It was sweet and heartwarming. Also it was an interesting premise.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
omg.. not so superintelligent at all
dvdandre29 November 2020
Please Falcone, quit directing bro! your last movies with Melissa were awful.

Melissa is just an awesome actress, i adore her always but the material here isn't good enough, she tries to save it but it's just too far gone to salvage.

it's a romcom doomsday scenario.. choose one or the other dude!! they don't really gel, yeah? there are some slapstick laughs but not enough to warrant losing nearly 2 hours of your life.

give it a miss.
19 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good family movie
aprilkellerhals20 December 2020
I really like when a movie comes out that the entire family can watch but isn't geared towards little kids. My ten year and I really enjoyed this.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not as bad as the ratings say.
rdoubleoc26 November 2020
This definitely isn't as bad as a 3/10 as IMDB users rated it. People either just love something or hate something (although I think they can like stuff more than others). I guess some people just hated this, but I blame the writers.

For example, the big bean bag was a cool idea, but it shouldn't have wasted a whole minute of screen time. That should've been like the end to a scene, or something like that (in my opinion).

The writers did a good job on the story they actually wrote, however, like when they make sure the audience knows the voice isn't actually meant to be James Cordon himself.

However, with that said, I just think the scenes weren't that funny or entertaining. I love the idea and concept of the movie, and love Melissa McCarthy, but sometimes I just felt like doing something else other than watching the movie, and in my opinion, movies should NEVER be like that. Every scene should capture you and grab you, and make you not want to go and do that huge ass pile of work I have sitting around, and this movie had me thinking about that big pile of work still somewhat. I feel like simple benchmarks like this can really tell studios if movies are likeable or not, but these benchmarks need to be tested across large groups of people. I guess this is what they're doing with machine learning (like at Netflix, for their recommendation engine), but I feel like they're measuring the wrong benchmarks. Whether or not I want to watch a movie instead of work or play games says a lot, though, and this had me thinking of going to do both of those things. I know this is a very basic system of measurement, but it hasn't failed me yet. I recommend movies to people all the time and are the guy everyone asks what to watch, so I think I have good instinct in this area.

I also wanted to say that while it wasn't very entertaining, it was very well made, and is of very high quality.

I feel it's worth a watch regardless, but the ratings speak for themselves.
29 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost Interest.
markhappyboy26 November 2020
First 15 minutes ok , then concept wears out pretty quickly Was very bored after 1 hour of movie which has an overlong running time . Score 5 from me .
32 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumb Movie but Cute
cierra-3883530 November 2020
Is the movie going to win an Oscar? No. But it was a cute rom com with an interesting premise. I enjoyed it because I took it for what it was, which I suggest everyone else do too. It didn't deserve this much hate, in my opinion.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If it wasn't for McCarthy and Corden, this wouldn't have worked.
TopDawgCritic30 November 2020
Actor (also in this film) turned newb director Ben Falcone, and actor (also in this film) turned newb writer Steve Mallory, successfully put together this entertaining, funny, and heartwarming film. It worked mainly in part due to Melissa McCarthy's usual outstanding and hilarious performance, as well as James Corden's virtual appearance. Finally, Corden was fitting and good in his attempt at Hollywood films (i.e. Cats). Bobby Cannavale as well as the rest of the casting and performances were also great. The cinematography and score was decent. The 106 min runtime did feel a little dragged out and long. I feel at least 10-15 min cut and/or faster pacing in some acts would've benefited this film. Nevertheless, imo it's undeserving of it's low rating. You're either not a fan or are of Melissa McCarthy, and I am, and she nailed it - again. It's a film that will certainly give you smiles and laughs. A well deserved 8/10 from me.
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't understand why this was rate so low
lizgwatson17 January 2021
Is this an Oscar winning "film", no it isn't. Is it cute, funny, lighthearted, and fun? Yes! A lot of people seem to have a hate on for Melissa McCarthy or are expecting this to be some sort of sci-fi adventure movie. It isn't. It's a romantic comedy with some sci-fi aspects. People take themselves way too seriously. Maybe people didn't get the jokes and many Gen-X Easter eggs. I can't say what the problem was, but I really enjoyed it and laughed a lot.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feel good, but preachy comedy
tamsmith-8302620 December 2020
Enjoyed Melissa McCarthy and she made me laugh a few times. It seems she is improvising sometimes making her screen partner laugh. I like that! The unoriginal plot had a slightly different take but still accomplished it's goal to preach about what humans are/are not doing. Melissa looked great and enjoyed the chemistry with her and Bobby Cannavale. Brian Tyree Henry is always enjoyable to watch. I think all of the cast made this movie worth watching, again plot aside, I still enjoyed it.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So cute and interesting movie
norkherbalist28 November 2020
Don't judge by ratings, it is funny and delightful movie
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nostalgia meets Artificial Intelligence.
nyps-384-33284927 November 2020
When the world is a mess it's nice to relax with familiar faces and voices. Mellisa is her charming, funny, quirky self in this movie. She is supported by the perfect lover Bobby Cannavale also quirky and charming, and her husband popping in at fun intervals. They do a mini Ferris Buhler's Day Off and reference a lot of things from a gentler time. Lots of nostalgic music to add to the cozy feeling. James Corden's soothing voice is perfect as the AI for the funny bits and the friendly banter. When AI decides to follow someone to learn about humans there are times you think about what would I do in those circumstances. Nothing too deep but an updated will the "bad guy" really take over the world and if so why. What could be done differently in the real world to change the outcome.? Sit back and relax enjoy the laughs, the clever writing, and the familiar faces. It's time to feel good.
16 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.