Hearts Beat Loud (2018) Poster

wonderful
rbrt_gilchrist18 September 2018
This is one of those little indie gems that just sneaks up on you and smacks you right in between the eyes. You must do yourself a favour and check it out. Kiersey Clemons is a Star. And Nick Offerman is just... real, for lack of a better word.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Music lovers and movie goers rejoice...
sirwillisiv27 July 2018
Hearts Beat Loud is one of 2018's underrated feel-good movies. It's musically-driven, character-driven, and tailored by Nick Offerman's stirring performance, proving his worth as an engrossing leading man in cinema. Regardless of its familiar set-up, I was charmed and engaged throughout. It's a sweet and soulful slice of life.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply beautiful
annali-160-89753913 September 2018
When you watch a movie and it is just calm and beautiful with good acting and a simple storyline it is the best medicine.No massive plot or clever dialogue just a nice human story
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hearts Beat by Push
torrascotia30 June 2018
I managed to catch this at a screening at the Edinburgh Film Festival. It was one of those bookings I took a risk on and knew very little about it apart from the fact Nick Offerman was the lead. Firstly this is a family focused feel good movie with a musical theme. If that doesn't sound like your thing then its not for you. We have Nick Offerman looking like an angry old owl who is a widower and has a musically talented daughter, Sam played by Kiersey Clemons. Sam is preparing to leave for medical school and her father is featuring less in her life as a result. The father and daughter make music together for fun, hence the musical content of the movie. Sam has also just started a same sex relationship with an artist, so we have a three way love tug of war centring on whether the daughter will leave her new love and father behind, just when the family band have a possibility of commercial success. That is all you need to know without giving any spoilers. What I did find interesting and authentic was the fact that they paid a fair bit of attention to the music making process, which as someone who is interested in this kind of thing is a bonus. We see them use MIDI keyboards, effects pedals on guitars and what also must be the first time Abelton Live and Push have been featured in a movie. Which is interesting in itself as the style of music played is not really the electronic kinds you would associate with Laptop driven music. The weaknesses I found in the story were funnily enough around the use of the internet, the main character is savvy enough to record and supposedly master (we never see this process) then upload his music to Spotify, but hasn't cottoned on to the fact he could be selling his music stock online as well? The music featured in the movie is basically Eno-esque indy pop by the family band with a bunch of other guitary indy type fodder. How much the music means to you will be down to your own tastes but music does feature heavily especially towards the finale. However as a feel good movie it definitely hits the mark and at no point during the movie did I feel a cringe or feel the story was becoming too sentimental, which is usually the case with these types of movies. This is an easy to watch movie and a rare exploration of the father daughter dynamic within a mixed race family over a shared love of music.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Effortlessly Delightful movie
Runsterbraze25 November 2018
The quintessential indie movie for music lovers! This movie doesn't abide by a particular storyline and flows just as seamlessly as good music does. The music essentially acts as an aureole for the movie, silently yet gracefully elevating it. Additionally the music is brought to life by the dulcet voices of the leads.

Nick Offerman once again does an exceptional job as the mellow, supporting dad. The troubles of his character are very well sketched and his stance on issues is easy to understand. Offerman, with his rock-hard face carries each scene with a melody. His daughter, played by Kiersey Clemons gives a hell of a performance as well.

The movie essentially conveys the beauty of music and how influential it can be in our everyday lives. It shows how for some people music is literally the way of life. With its powerful lyrics we see the deep meaning that songs bear. In this motion picture the effect of music manifests itself in the act of strengthening the bond between the father and daughter.

Throughout the movie there is no sense of a bigger picture, or purpose and that is where the beauty lies. It is strikingly similar to real life with a lot of small talk that makes the characters more relatable. This is a very well-constructed movie with wonderful music bound to captivate audiences of all ages. And for those who have never been touched by music get ready for your heart to beat loud to the rhythm of the film
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LOVED IT
rhysmcc-466086 June 2018
I was sucked right into "small town" Red Hook and all the gritty characters from scene 1. The father daughter dynamic was snappy and real. The lead characters grab you by the heart in quiet touching ways until you are mowed down by their casual jam session songs. I cared about the father. I cared about the daughter. She sings with such sincere passion she brought tears to my eyes. They both did. I want to see this film again!
17 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet and Simple, Great Acting and Music
watchtan9 June 2018
Nice story about a father and daughter relationship. Actors are excellent and music is delightful.
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hearts Beat Loud will pull on your heart strings
justjoia25 June 2018
I can totally understand why this film was so adored at both Sundance and SXSW film festivals. It's a great family film with a great cast and a great soundtrack. Hearts Beat Loud is about a father (Nick Offerman) and his daughter (Kiersey Clemons) as they spend their last summer together in their charming hipster NYC home town before she embarks on her career path of becoming a doctor at a university on the other side of the country. Frank Fisher (Offerman) owns the vintage record store in town and brings a musical background to the story. The father-daughter duo record a song during one of their weekly jam sessions and Frank sends it out to Spotify where it becomes an indie hit. Sam Fisher (Kiersey Clemons) delicately navigates a new romance with Rose (Sasha Lane) as well as her relationships with both her father and music all while taking summer courses online and preparing for her big move at the end of summer.

I was so impressed with Nick Offerman's (Parks and Recreation) performance in this film. He showed real vulnerability in so many scenes and I was captivated by the color of his eyes and how well he portrayed a loving single dad. I really enjoyed the simplicity of how this film was shot. Most of the scenes were only two characters at a time. We see Frank with his daughter Sam together hanging out, having heart to heart conversations, arguing, and making music together. We also see him attempt to maneuver through an undeniably confusing relationship with his "landlady" Leslie played by indie darling Toni Collette. We also enjoy a not so subtle nod to the 80's TV hit show Cheers as Ted Danson is cast as Dave, the local bar owner and Frank's best bud.

Sasha Lane (American Honey) lights up the screen as artist and Sam's love interest Rose. I was most enchanted by Kiersey Clemons's performance. She is absolutely beautiful and does such an incredible job portraying Frank's daughter. She effortlessly dances from rolling her eyes at her goofy dad to expressing her love and admiration for him. She sings throughout the film and her voice is so sweet and so soulful that it will give you goosebumps. In the Q&A session after the film, co-star Sasha Lane admitted that she cried every time she heard Kiersey sing. I absolutely loved the music throughout the film and I especially enjoyed Kiersey's performance.

With a running time of just 97 minutes, this is a quick watch for any film buff. At times I did feel it was a little slow, however the audience was intended to enjoy the music during these slower and more drawn out scenes. I would recommend this film to anyone who enjoys music and light and easy heartwarming films. Hearts Beat Loud is unquestionably delightful.
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A pleasant film about how to write and record a song!
peeedeee-9428127 June 2018
At least, that's what it felt like the movie was about, that we were learning about how songs are written and fleshed out. Seriously, it was a pleasant film, with great MUSICAL performances from Kiersey Clemons and Nick Offerman. They had good acting too, but I feel the story and the directing was not very focused. The whole grandma-has-dementia angle could have been dropped completely. There were missed opportunities for drama, or that 'Oscar moment', like when Sam tells her father Frank that she had just learned to ride a bike and that's why she was late coming home. You'd think there would be a huge emotional outburst based on how biking had changed the family, but nope, it just kind of came and went. The movie has a great musical scene in the shop towards the end, but then kind of fizzles and it tried to find a good way to end. It should have ended sooner. I think in better hands, this movie would have been even better. It just felt like it didn't know what it wanted to be, trying to introduce too many ideas that weren't needed, and the pacing was not consistent. Still worth a watch if you like watching nice musical performances.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
And the Point Is
cockezville28 June 2018
This movie had a terrific cast and the daughter/ father relationship just seemed unreal. It was a sweet enough movie but the whole musical presence was too much. And those songs were pretty lame. The Ted Danson, Toni Collette, and Blythe Danner characters had such meat, but they were left to rot. Major editing and writing flaws. Nick Offerman was engaging
20 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I expected more in the end..
BatmanFunReviews201812 September 2018
A father and daughter form an unlikely songwriting duo in the summer before she leaves for college. Despite a pretty good cast of talented actors and some pretty good music as well 'Hearts Beat Loud' just doesn't work as it might have or could have. The perfomances were mediocre at best and the characters didn't do much as well in my opinion. It just doesn't have the spark it needs to do within it's music or it's storyline about a father and daughter forming this bond within their music threw a Summer and just simply doesn't work either both in music and drama.
13 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as I thought it was going to be in the beginning
jmc47692 July 2018
This is a fluffy, feel-good movie about a midlife-crisis dad and his college-bound daughter who bond while recording three songs together over the summer after her high school graduation. The movie unfortunately wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be in the beginning. About 30 minutes of the running time is taken up with the two of them recording and performing their music, which leaves only about an hour of skimpy drama. The movie's biggest asset is character development, which kept me interested up to a point. But it drags in the middle due to a weak storyline and ends with a thud. None of the various subplots are adequately resolved, and some are completely abandoned.

The filmmakers seem to be trying to recreate the charm of independent musical movies like Once. But it doesn't quite work. The acting is good but not great. As dad and daughter, Nick Offerman and Kiersey Clemons are appealing but not charismatic. The songs are catchy but forgettable. Not a bad way to spend an hour and a half though...as long as your expectations aren't too high.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What more do you need?
sketchharris30 September 2018
I came upon this film early morning. I've been a fan of Kiersey Clemons since the film Dope and the music in that was great so I said, why not. I am so glad I did. Hearts Beat Loud is a simple, yet sweet tale of the family dynamic between and single father and his daughter with a 15 mins of fame feel to it. In an age where everyone is a soundcloud superstar, I feel like this film keeps the characters grounded in a smaller and friendlier atmosphere. Kiersey's voice is just lovely on the original songs by Keegan Dewitt, Nick Offerman is just the right kind of everyman, Toni Collette is delightful and watching Ted Danson run a bar.... priceless.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simple, yet elegant
nwalter-68-75762929 September 2018
I saw the trailer on a YouTube thumbnail, watched it and was quickly captivated. I couldn't wait for it to become available for rent.

Nick Offerman was very good, his character a little typical though. A dad who lost his wife, is about to lose his record store and his daughter to the other coast. The willingness for him to move on and let his life change was an endearing theme, regardless of the schmaltz.

Kiersey Clemons was brilliant. A willing participant in her dad's desperate attempt to hold on tight, her performance expressed the devotion to her father, but with a spirit of freedom.

The music was beautiful and definitely made its way as the focal-point of the movie, and I think it's a solid win.

Great movie all around.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Laaaaame
josephbeverlin26 June 2018
A movie that is so painfully dull and uninteresting it made me want to wrap myself in barbed wire and drink a whiskey glass full of drano. There are definitely worse movies out there, at least every shot in this is in focus, but it was so painfully on the nose with all its phony sentimentality that I wanted to die. At one point I rolled my eyes so far into the back of my head that I saw a different dimension and my nose began to bleed. Anyways whatever. I seem to be the only one who didn't like this so I'll shut up.
29 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Life Portraits with music in hand
jarnnassbe9 April 2018
A movie that's not so empty and not so vibrant. Portraits life around us in a much simpler version with lots of tiny its and bits with a boost of feel good music. Loved it
11 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Floating thru
ezgoinguy97196826 September 2018
So, if you read my reviews you may notice they're short. I say watch or don't. Plain and simple and too the point. Well, now for something a bit different. I have a soft spot for films that incorporate music as this did. I longed for more of the music and really enjoyed the story. The acting was wonderful and I even started to tear up as I thought of my daughter and life. I felt a strange kinship with Frank's story and really can't recommend enough. Watch this then RUDDERLESS and finally SING STREET for a wonderful music filled day.
Complete Harmony
john-3623223 September 2018
Superb performances from Nick Offerman and Kiersy Clemons lead this well written and tuneful story.

The music is very good and not turgidly sentimental - the lead performances are supported brilliantly by Toni Collette and Ted Danson, neither of whom out-flanks the two lead protagonists.

The movie is happy, whimsical and deeply funny - a story of love and leaving of ending and beginning, watch it!
Film sabtu sore
ariqakbar22 September 2018
The movie was really full of joy, i love how simple conflict in this movie yet make this warm movie so complete. Frank make all of us smile while following this story to the end. We need more movie with this simple kind happiness
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loudly and clearly totally awesome
highmaster1615 November 2018
Hearts Beat Loud is an incredible piece of art that revolves around music and small independent music-making as the film itself is small and independent. Nick Offerman has always been awesome, but this time around, I think I may have seen the best performance from him, ever. He is so subtle with his acting and his singing voice is also pretty great as well. But the real standout might just be Kiersey Clemons who gives an award worthy performance too. She is not only incredible at acting, but just as, if not better, at singing. Her voice is magical and the songs played throughout the film are very good. I enjoyed this film a lot and what it had to say about a lot of things. The father-daughter dynamic is great and the film also explores some other themes such as death, love and letting things from your past go. Would absolutely recommend it, as it is one of my favourites from the year.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
That rare feel good movie
cliftonofun4 November 2018
Feel good movies are pretty rare these days - you mean it isn't a comic book movie, mainstream comedy, or Oscar contender? This movie is none of those things. It is just a simple story about a dad, a daughter, and a record store. You know the whole plot just by watching the trailer, honestly...but you should watch it anyway. Offerman and Clemons absolutely shine. They manage to make this story feel real without ever becoming cliche. If you are not smiling in the closing scenes, if you are not thinking back to your own farewells, well, something might be wrong with you. It will not give you chills. It is not groundbreaking. It has some plot gaps. But it is a feel good movie. And I felt good.
Amazing!
schuster_mark3 October 2018
What a beautiful movie! I watch a million movies, rarely get moved by one. Tonight I was moved. I take notice when that happens, and run right out here to IMDB.COM and write a review.

I think anybody and everybody can take away something from this movie. I'm an older musician, so especially loved the "band" theme of this movie - but please don't be scared away by thinking this is some kind of musician-only flick. It's not. It's much more. It's about tolerance, love, caring - being a friend - a father, a daughter, a friend - and everything in between.

I highly recommend this movie. What a GEM!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unrealistic brief rock star fantasy
chong_an8 June 2018
A man manages to survive for 17 years by owning a vinyl record store in a small town in the NYC area. Previous to this, he had a band, and was a rock star wannabe. As his daughter is about to move across the country to UCLA, he coaxes her into their weekly jam session, records one of her songs, surreptitiously uploads it to a social media platform, and finds it becomes an internet hit.

So now his rock star dream revives, as he tries to talk his daughter into deferring UCLA to become a band with him. A factor in his favor is that his daughter would also be leaving her girlfriend in going to UCLA.

This was the closing gala at the Inside Out LGBT film festival. The father-daughter relationship dominated, while the lesbian relationship was incidental. So it makes a good gala film, as it is straight-friendly. But I am not convinced - maybe if the father was selling CDs, not vinyl records, he could have lasted until today.
11 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor in All Respects
westsideschl28 September 2018
This rating is actually for the movie and not mistaken packaging. Music: For the most part the songs written for the movie are cliched lonely love songs; unmemorable lyrics written a thousand times before. Such as "Blink ..." & "Hearts Beat Loud" consisting of repeatedly "Whoa-oh" w/I'll miss you & think of you even if you're a million miles away (Really!, just a million!). Dad's (Offerman) guitar accompaniment is strumming a couple of chords. Daughter's (Clemons) singing, although nice that she does her own, would not get past AGT or Voice pre-first round. The rest of the songs performed by unknowns - sorry unknowns (well, somebody knows you). Stereotypes: Dad & mixed race daughter (why was not clear, but makes for more interesting characterization) is w/out a mom of course; Dad predictably smokes and drinks, and sits in his record store where only one customer shows up the entire movie and dad is discourteous towards him when customer asks if he would not smoke inside. Daughter, predictably and as a contrast, is a devoted pre-med wannabe about to be a UCLA student. Record shop is called Red Hook, not to be confused with the beer, but the name offers the same vibe. Dad hangs out at stereotypical bar, and predictably gets music & life advice. Dad has romantic interest w/store's landlady which offers the usual issues. Acting: Really banal all around especially Offerman who might have been better cast as a dock worker. Script: The producers' storyline synopsis seems more PR selling than an accurate plot description.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful movie
Nagfilms26 July 2018
The words 'music' and 'quiet' don't normally go together in a sentence, but they are apt adjectives to describe the nice little independent movie, 'Hearts Beat Loud' starring Nick Offerman (of Parks and Recreation fame) and directed by Brett Haley. Offerman portrays widower Frank Fisher, the owner of Red Hook Records, who has reached a point of change in his life. He's tired of owning a lightly visited vintage vinyl record store, conflicted in his feelings as his only child, daughter Sam (an excellent Kiersey Clemons), is preparing to leave Brooklyn for UCLA Med School, and searching for a dream of making it big as a two-man band with his daughter. There are several original songs in the movie (all beautiful with Kiersey showing quite exceptional vocals), and all tell the story of how both Frank and Sam feel about each other, their position in their respective lives, and where the lives are headed. If you have a child, or had a child, or were a child, that is about to embark on their own, independent life, this movie continually gives you undertones of poignancy, longing for times past, and hopefulness for the future. There are no explosions, no superhero's, no villains...just a beautiful, 'quiet' movie that invites you in to this father/daughter life and their struggle(s) just to move on in life.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.