Onward (2020) Poster

(I) (2020)

Hate it but not cause it is bad.
z-knipp5 April 2020
I hated this movie because it hit me so hard. Lost my dad a while back and never dealt with all the things from that but this movie kinda drop kicked my feelings into the focus. Hard to watch a film with tears streaming down your face
485 out of 545 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
tyreejones8 May 2020
A great film about siblings and the incredible bond they can share. I enjoyed every second, don't listen to the haters.
168 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film that doesn't have issues of other films
brigid1344 March 2020
The dead parent trope might be overused for Disney movies but Onward doesn't make the mistakes of those movies. The siblings fight like siblings though out, not just at plot critical moments. Their single mom has a boyfriend who is not an evil stepparent trope, and their mom is actually proactive during the events of the film, but the adventure still belongs to the boys. I've been tired of plots that have parents oblivious to what their kids are doing. I came for the DnD references but I cried for the well-rounded characters.
442 out of 546 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Age doesn't matter, watch this movie!
It's a fantastic movie! It might fall into cliches but that's what the movie is all about. It brings the sense of epic to the viewer and engage with their feelings. It's well balanced, as the movie emphasizes in the adventure aspect of it but without forgetting comic times as well as really touchy moments were you'll for sure be moved. It's a great movies that will introduce you to some aspects of role playing in a way you probably haven't thought before. Great for both kids and adults.
90 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Made me appreciate my brother
rodriguezarturo111 April 2020
This movie is pretty fast paced. The characters are always trying to get out of some kind of mess they created, so in other words you're never bored. I recommend you watch this film with your siblings. I'm a grown man and this film had me tearing up lol. Another great film by Pixar.
117 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extremely underrated emotional road trip - Onward
snow-lover-biblio-07112 December 2020
This movie will give you laughs as well as leave you in sobs. Fun, action-packed and emotional, it's a great watch.

Elven brothers Ian and Barley lost their father when they were too young to remember him. But on Ian's 16th birthday, they receive a special gift - something that can help revive their father for one day. But as expected, they mess up the spell and their father is left only with legs.

I do not know why this film is so underrated, considering it's full of that Pixar magic. Fantasy world? Ok, that's pretty common. Suburban fantasy world? You don't see that every day. It's a burst of imagination, really.

Unlike most films that shy away from deep themes and stay on the 'clear path', Onward shows how hard it is to lose someone. If you haven't seen it, watch today!
26 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie for boys where the price is love - bravo Pixar
alffastar-261-2887157 March 2020
Doing a fulfilling movie for boys where the price of the quest is emotional wholeness and found love is a rare sight and not an easy task. Pixar succeeded by providing rich brotherly relationship, adventure, magic and finally love. It is much more a common message in movies for girls like Frozen, but I think that the magical combination of all the ingredients achieved by Pixar is important and entertaining at the same time. Wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone :)
304 out of 410 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A predictable but entertaining road trip story leads to an incredible third act
joelwatchesmovies3 May 2020
Hits a lot of the familiar road trip story beats but the Americana x magical fantasy setting is a unique one (gorgeously animated) and provides a good share of memorable moments (most notably Guinevere's heroism that had me in tears). The real gem of the film though is the last act featuring good ol' (dragon-conquering) Mom and a completely unexpected, incredible, beautiful, heart-wrenching emotional climax (not the sweet but on-the-nose journal writing flashbacks but the silent view from afar). 7.5/10
51 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pixar is amazing
seaverchen30 April 2020
The ending was enchanting. Just the fact that he gave up his only chance to see his father to give it to his brother! WOW. That hit hard.
71 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Honestly, Pixar is making better movies than Disney
danielcosimona25 April 2020
I can't believe it. The best animated movie of the year was not by Disney. And it's not a surprise because most of the movies Disney did in 2019 were sequels and remakes (and Star Wars, and Avengers Endgame, which wasn't as good as Avengers: Infinity Wars). This is one of the most creative movies I've ever watched! Sure, it's cliche, however it's got a good moral, a good story, good character development, its humor isn't just in one character (contrary to Frozen II), and it is visually beautiful. This is the best animated movie of the year, and I really hope Disney makes more movies like this.
59 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Movie....
ericsaju-1240321 March 2021
It was a great story... And also the story and theme of the movie is great ..... It was a mystery Movie... I Like the Movie....
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Detentions and Dragons
questl-1859230 March 2021
My second time watching this and I find myself only liking it more. At this point, the expectations for a Disney/Pixar venture are going to default to high and somehow they always seem to impress. Obviously, animation is gorgeous, it's hilarious, heartfelt and takes place in a magical world. I love this take on a world of magic that evolved out of whimsy for the sake of modern conveniences. The whole idea is fun to me and the film fully delivers on it throughout.

Where this one really gets me though is in the relationships. As someone who grew up without a biological father only for someone else to step in and do the job, this film absolutely resonates with me and each time I've watched it the end absolutely wrecks me in the best possible way.

I feel like this one will continue to grow on me the more I watch it but for right now the only thing keeping it from the absolute tippy top of the Pixar list, sports reserved by the likes of Wall-E and The Incredibles and Toy Story is a consistent throughline of wonderment. There are a couple of slow moments, they're relevant but at this point I'm nitpicking.

Onward is a phenomenal, heartfelt film. As much of a heartwarming as it is hilarious and whimsical. Absolutely recommend watching this. Seek it out, subscribe to Disney+, buy the disc, whatever you have to do. It's well worth it.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great fun, but not the magic of other Pixar films!
pritol19 March 2021
This is a great film by any stretch! Really fun magical world of elves, centaurs, mermaids and all that jazz, but with a modern suburban setting. The film has some laugh out loud moments and the animation is as always spectacular.

The story has some strong emotional punch, as it follows two brothers on a quest to complete a spell and bring their father back for a single day, learning more about each other and their relationship in the process.

It has all the familiar components that have made Pixar's movies fantastic, and it touches on some very contemporary themes in a really nice way; coping with lose of a parent and the importance of siblings, dealing with your remaining parents new partners etc.

However, if you compare it to their other film this year, Soul, it just doesn't have the same level of emotional connection. Still incredibly enjoyable, and would be more than happy to watch this film again anytime!
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite standard feel good pixar movie
william-eugensson7 February 2021
Entertainment value: 7 Easy going feel good movie, not many surprises but made us chuckle a little and that is good enough.

Visuals: 8 It's a standard pixar movie, not exceptional.

Soundtrack: 7 Barly had some nice music going in his truck.

Plot: 6 Classic find yourself movie, not impressed but it works for the feel good theme.

World building and depth: 6 Funny take on on a fantasy world. Unicorns were hilarious. The world felt very flat however.

Characters and dialog: 7 Burly was a very likable character, the nerdy big bro. Not that impressed but it worked.

Total: 7
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good fun with chance of misty eyes
thekarmicnomad22 March 2021
I didn't like the look of this, the animation, the content or the story. I am glad I decided to watch it.

The film is set in a world where magic is replaced by technology because it is easier. Two young men get the opportunity to use magic to spend a single day with their deceased father. It doesn't go according to plan so they go on an adventure.

The story is simple but lean, the jokes are obvious but funny, the characters are stock but fleshed out.

This movie is really enjoyable and tugs at the heart strings.

There is nothing ground-breaking about this movie but it has a very big heart and is very well executed.
Dungeons and Dragons Pixar-style
Spike-Washington19 March 2021
I never got to watch this movie in theaters but I did watch it on Disney Plus like a year ago. Enjoyable, funny and interesting. Two elf brothers (voiced by two MCU veterans) embark on a quest to bring their late father back. It's even got references to one of the best tabletop RPGs known to humanity. Any D&D lover would love to watch this. It's also perfect for those who barely knew their father and what they can do with the lives they have left. Can our two protagonists find their father? At what cost? And what adventures will they have? See it!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow start but a good watch
ds00044724-409-27144716 March 2021
I wouldn't say Onward will go down as a Disney / Pixar classic. It's a bit slow off the start to the point your 15/20 minutes in and your still wondering where this film is going. We were so close to turning it off, then they pull it together and it becomes quite enjoyable. There are a couple of laughs tinged with a bit of sadness. Overall an enjoyable watch
A solid Pixar movie
bicovskabaru18 February 2021
I really enjoyed this film. It hit all the sports a good Pixar movie needs to hit for me. It was a little predictable at times but when one's not trying to figure out the movie and just sits back and enjoys the ride, it's time well spent.

I was a little bit disappointed that we didn't get to see as much of the world the filmmakers created because it had a lot of potential and so many things to be explored. However, it's understandable because the film was centered around the two brothers and their father, not the world itself. But the settings were great!

Some might say the film is a cliche and they wouldn't be wrong. It's a good type of cliche though. I also feel like there was more material than the length allowed so that's why there wasn't any deeper introduction of the characters and the world. In my opinion the script wasn't rushed and still made for a good and enjoyable film.

If you want a heartwarming, adventurous and visually pleasing film, definitely try Onward.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I very much enjoyed this movie
MR_Heraclius23 March 2020
WOW, Pixar is really moving onward with creativity and originality. While the story itself and plotting may suffer a few issues like predictibility at times, amazing animation and stunning visuals, along with beautifully designed characters and great chemistry beetween actors who voiced those characters perfectly, make this movie great, enjoyable and worth watching. The way they've used a mixture of real life elements and fantasy elements from Dungeons and Dragons universe is also great and worth mentioning. While, at first look it doesn't feel like a Pixar movie, the more time you spend watching it, you will get all feelings and heart you expect from your average Pixar movie. Dan Scanlon did a great job this time.
117 out of 189 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it..
dasanurag-4294329 April 2020
Pixar always hits me hard...I felt those emotions of meeting his Dad for one last time....Loved it...
23 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such a heart warming and fulfilling story for any age!
elliecovetista9 June 2020
I don't think I've ever written a review for a movie but I felt compelled to write one for this movie. It's not a movie that becomes your "favorite" movie but I have to say it's one of the most fulfilling movies I have ever seen. I laughed, I cried, and everything in between and I watched it alone. From the start you can tell it'd be one of those magical movies you don't wanna turn your eyes away from. I got my popcorn and coke ready and man, I was glued to the movie the entire time. I honestly can't say why anyone wouldn't like this movie! It's appropriate to watch with kids of all ages! I know parents whose kids are young and get scared easily but the dragon in this movie is so "mild". Definitely a great movie all around without a single flaw!
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet story full of good moments
przangie15 March 2021
Sweet movie with memorable characters, kinda predictable in some parts but nevertheless sweet, the ending is bittersweet but nevertheless full of love. I recommend it a lot
Nothing Incredible but Still Subversive
WasiReviews3 March 2021
The general consensus on this film is: "oh this film isn't bad per say but it's middle of the road for a Pixar film nothing groundbreaking." I have to say I agree. I was pleasantly surprised to see the film to be pretty entertaining for around two thirds of the film. The first 20 minutes was Cars 2 level of bad the world looked boring and fantasy driven. The same stuff you've seen hundreds of times but wait guys there's a twist. The world it's set in with a weird cross between fantasy and the modern world (sarcastically claps). With the big brother Barley trying to reinvigorate the past but almost everyone wants to live with technology which makes no sense given that magic is... magic nevermind ignore the plot holes, let's just focus on the rest of the film. They lost their dad (not a spoiler it happened before the film even starts) before Ian Lightfoot (the little brother) was born. Moving on we get introduced to the actual magic of the film magic staff brings bad half the dad (it's in the trailer) yada yada yada our Boys are on a journey to a Manticore cavern that's basically the Chuck E Cheese of Pixar's universe. Our shy protagonist goes full Morgan Freeman and tells her that she needs to go back to the good old days the uncivilized ways (It's like The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn except Ian isn't a lying prick). We get our EPIC location for the film's Ravenpoint, side note Ocatavia Spencer is the best actress in the film she was funny while bringing life to a manticore.

Alright we got the basic premise down. I think it was alright so far, but by Pixar's standards it was as bad as the Cars franchise and The Good Dinosaur but luckily for us the film turns into a Buddy Brothers film. The dragon at the end of the film was horrific (not in a good way), the way it was designed made me think that Pixar wasted it's entire budget on the rest of the film and by hiring Chris Pratt and Tom Holland as the main characters (must've cost 50 million). It knocked down my rating of the film but the Pixi Bikers, dancing and walking on an invisible bridge scene were great with the invisible bridge being the best scene in the film well apart from the ending (which I won't spoil). I kinda wish there was a romance in the film because I could've seen a hot blue alien chick. Onward isn't even close to the top of the Pixar ladder but it's nowhere near the bottom. I liked the film and there's something in it for anyone with a sibling like me (I'm the older brother by the way). My recommendation is watching Coco then Soul then Onward if you're binging Pixar films about dealing with death.
not the typical Pixar
metintomas-6382227 February 2021
This feels like an ex-Pixar director and writer moved to Netflix and made a Netflix movie.but it was good, not the best pixar
B- (high 6). March 20' @AMC
Celewa22 February 2021
Art direction is interesting. Voice acting is strong. Narratively disjointed at times. Some tonal and pacing issues here and there. Difficult to connect with the characters and their plight. Adventure aspect is lackluster. Good payoff.