Alcatraz (2018) Poster

(2018)

Economically told character study.
parry_na30 May 2019
From the prolific stable of Andrew Jones and North Bank Entertainment comes this rare step away from the horror genre. 'Alcatraz' is a fairly large story told economically. Whilst occasionally flawed, it works rather well.

While we spend much time in the company of the escapees, we don't really get to know them because they are pretty much one-note. Not a criticism, but Clarence, for example, is the decent stoical type and remains so, whilst Joe (Patrick O'Donnell) begins as the scowling 'big man' who scowls until the very end. So, while there's no deep psychology going on here, the characters are interesting enough to carry the film.

Instead of dwelling on the physical demands and derring-do of an actual prison escape, Jones' script deals instead with the relations between the characters (mainly male, with Jones regular Harriet Rees playing Alice, Clarence's sister), mainly played by talented English actors sporting American accents. Alcatraz interiors were filmed in Brighton, Bristol and San Francisco, whilst there is lots of establishing location filming at the exteriors of Alcatraz prison. My score for this is 7 out of 10.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suprisingly touching
beckrobbins8 November 2018
I watched this with my boyfriend expecting it to be one of those macho action films so was pleasantly surprised that there were heartfelt relationships between the characters mainly the lead character Clarence and his sister and prison buddy Bernie. Sure there are the usual prison movie clichés like the creepy rapist and the escape story but I managed to overlook those because of the good characters and decent acting. Enjoyed it more than I expected to.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good drama
highlanderlambert5 December 2018
Although the cover gives the impression this is an action movie its actually more of a character drama and despite some obvious budget restrictions the film mostly succeeds. A very intense performance from the actor playing the main criminal jacks up the tension in the hostage sequences and there are some strong supporting turns from the Warden and lead actor playing the youngest prisoner. Just don't expect a dynamic action flick because this is a contained drama chronicling the growing tension between a group of dangerous characters.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good characterization
jamojammin5 December 2018
This movie adheres to many yawn inducing prison tropes such as characters attempting rape, fights in the mess hall, obnoxious guards and a bible bashing warden. But the movie keeps its head above water with very human characterizations which are credibly written and, for the most part, well performed. The producers are clearly more interested in the human interest stories running through the movie as the action is focused on characters betraying one another and vying for respect rather than wall to wall violence. So despite the tired clichés the movie gets a thumbs up from me for attempting a story with substance rather than resorting to relentless violence.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not the true story but good in it's own right
joeyeubank-941198 November 2018
Having read up on the real Battle of Alcatraz this movie only touches on part of it. Most movies don't care about the source material and whenever a true incident or book is adapted for the screen it gets changed beyond recognition. But when taken on its own merit this movie does have a lot to offer. Rather than non stop action the focus is on the growing tension between the prisoners and guards when they are trapped in a tiny cell block during the siege. The movies best scenes and acting come when the prisoners start turning on one another as the plan goes awry. The weakness of the movie is in some of the flashbacks of the prisoners getting to know each other they are a little less engaging but the hostage scenario between the prisoners and guards is well executed. Just don't expect it to be anything like the real story.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Give me a break - from this movie!
reidkenj6 November 2018
This is so shockingly bad! The acting is dreadful. The story is dreadful. This must have cost about 200 dollars to make. ALCATRAZ. I think there are possibly 10 prisoners total! 4 prison guards. The canteen is big enough for about 8 people. And do not get me started about when they called the military in! Sometimes these movies are good for a laugh, but this was to bad for that. I couldn't make it to the end. good luck!
11 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why didn't they tell the true story
ianmerryweather7 November 2018
I made the mistake of reading about the battle of Alcatraz before viewing this film. When you read the true facts there is clearly a story there to make a really good film depicting the real events. Why then "hollywood" as it often does departs from true events and changes the facts baffles me as ever. If you view the film without knowing the true story you may find it more enjoyable and rate it a bit higher. And as for the last 5 minutes of this film is absolute drivel, they should have edited it out !
10 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor
paulmeldrum-1324416 November 2018
Acting is wooden and very poor, wasted an hour and a half of my life watching this. Give it a miss.
6 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad, bad movie.
naturalginesis16 January 2019
Nothing redeeming about this film. Vert low budget, showing the same scenes over and over and over. This movie was a true groaner.
4 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The credits were better than the film.
thxdvswp18 December 2018
Terrible piece of film making. The opening credits were better than the actual film but too long as well. Its very obvious this film was shot on a low budget and I excused the bad sets, camera angles etc. but when they brought in the "GENERAL" wearing a modern day military uniform and looking like the General from the car insurance adds....I lost all respect for the producers of this very poor film. The main heavy though was well acted. Watch at your own loss.
3 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful Atrocity
nicco-661499 December 2018
There wasn't one good thing about this movie. If I could click 0/10 stars I would have. With a little bit of Knowledge of how to use iMovie on your iPhone you have a better chance of making a better film. All you really need to make this film is a video camera from a pawnshop and a gift card from a thrift store and collect bums from skid row and pay them in food or drugs.
3 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as I thought it would be!
ajwinslow-130 January 2019
First, an entire maximum security prison without a single black inmate??? All the characters were way too clean and clean cut. They look like tax cheats at a country club prison! And what's up with the one inmates ponytail? Don't think that would fly in 1947 Alcatraz. Not historically accurate, bad acting and bad script.
2 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Hawk_of_May29 November 2018
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...that about says it all. Not worth your time.
2 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some bad actors and I don't mean the convicts
fredfriedland10 January 2019
Shawshank it ain't . They didn't even have the decency to Photoshop the Transamerica Pyramid out in the 1946 opening shot. Glad I didn't have to pay for this one .
1 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Total Dissapointment!
vivthespiv17 February 2019
Don't waste your time watching this! Ive never ever before seen such an inaccurate film as this! Its supposed to be set in 1946 but apart from the wrong clothes & haircuts the sets were dreadful too! Plastic chairs & laminate tables,a General & soldiers wearing modern camouflage uniforms with Velcro patches! Not a cigarette in sight & polyester shirts & chino trousers & brogues! I was so disappointed & wasted £7 on this! Save your money & your time too,this is rubbish from start to finish!
1 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
what a waste of time
gregmathews-505623 December 2018
The wife and I thought this would be a good watch but how wrong could we be, poor acting and poorly filmed. if you expect an action film then look elsewhere, there is no real action in this film at all.
1 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forgettable
elavigne788512 November 2018
This film was filmed on a cheap budget. The actors for the most part are unknown. Footage of Alcatraz from news film were used. This film was filmed on a budget in a studio. I don't know weather or not this film was based on any true events. Bypass this film if it comes on dvd.
1 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A True Disaster ..
muratguvenel21 August 2019
Very limited budget film. There is nothing in the film, but the high level shoutings of prisoners. It is a total waste of time. A note for the director of the film: A kid would have directed a better movie.
0 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WORST MOVIE ANYONE COULD EVER SEEN
serokaraaslan17 August 2019
GLUK GLUK GLUK SHOOTING SCENE IS A JOKE THIS MOVIE IS A JOKE TOO I CANT BELIEVE THAT
0 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not even a turkey...egg-of-a-turkey-movie
oldmike4 June 2019
Don't waiste 90 minutes of your life watching this "movie". Listen to the podcast about The Battle of the Rock instead.
0 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worthless
twidgetbubblehead16 April 2019
I can't give this film a Zero, although it truly deserves it.

the prisoners need haircuts; they're wearing dress shirts instead of chambray shirts. The General is wearing camouflage (not available back when this film was supposedly portrayed) and his moustache needs to be trimmed back.

I wish I hadn't purchased this film.
0 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as 1st alcatraz.
deanpemberton1 April 2019
I turned this off half way through, it is proper boring, no where near as good as the 1st one with Clint eastwood.
0 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.