Mr. Sunshine (TV Series 2018– ) Poster

(2018– )

korean actress verses Mr subshine actor
mamooshilanet5 July 2019
While Mr lee as Mr sunshine is very handsome and nice gentelman,it would be hard to beleive that he fell inlove with such not pretty like her.Moreover korean should learn as they broadcast worldwide their movies ,the minimum is to respect other nations and do not impose their not pretty lady on poor handsome and pretty korean gentelman. wake up.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A masterpiece on the beauty of the Joseon
winstow8 June 2019
Probably the people who wrote negative reviews have misunderstood the true meaning of the story. This is not a romantic TV series, this is simply a genuine hymn to the beauty and strength of the Joseon. The romantic story between the lovers is only the frame of a splendid picture depicting the Joseon of the years 1870-1920. The real protagonists are the emotions and the ardor of those who have the strength to fight for the survival of their homeland, even at the cost of their lives.
Awesome
wallettface27 May 2019
Thank goodness for Netflix, I am hooked on Korean drama , so polished, in every way . beats American stuff hands down
Highly Recommend!
lrhwin-9003824 May 2019
Maybe it is just me, the combination of history, war, heroism, love, and ultimate sacrifice had such an impact on me. I couldn't get out of the story for days after I watched it. Lee Byung-hun is an amazing actor! In fact, the whole crew including all the lead roles and supporting roles are amazing. The side effect is that after watching this one, nothing else is good enough to watch.
Brilliant
ahavcom5 May 2019
A very expressive fight about what we hold dear. The story line and the cast come to complete one of the most dramatic movie ever to exist. The ultimate love sacrifice, caried out with elegance to the last moment, made the moments spend in this movie to look like the events were caried in the front of your very eyes, succesfully draging you there, in the middle of the events, living every moment breatless. A masterpiece in the very real sens of the word !
The best K-drama I ever watched and I've watched many
taneaMr22 April 2019
This drama gives life to your soul, and then somehow takes it all way and lot eave you shattered, kinda like when you break up with your first love on a cold winter's day. It's an emotional rollercoaster with so much to offer.

The acting is spectacular, the cinematograph is so too. Everything about this drama was perfect. If you're into melodrama with an epic storyline, this one's for you.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good drama, good actors, beautiful scenery. Very touching story
judithsmwong14 April 2019
Good drama, good actors, beautiful scenery. Very touching story with a sad ending
Bravo!
Geeta3525 April 2019
The absolute best KDrama I have ever seen. Everything about it was perfect: the cast, the setting, the heart-breaking storyline, the fact that this series was based on history. I cried many, many tears watching this series - and I laughed at times too;it's just that good! What a beautiful, courageous story!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best acting and cinematography I have seen in many years!
Arttillygirl31 March 2019
The understated acting/writing/directing makes it a very powerful love story. Gorgeous to experience! Only halfway through but I don't want it to end. So intelligent and humorous as well.
Got depressed
mayaclaesson25 March 2019
I got depressed, couldn't sleep for days. Couldn't stop watching! Nice story, beautiful scenes, great acting and it was just a wonderful show.
A Period Love Story Set Against Japan's Colonization of Korea
nishera25 March 2019
There's little I can add to the glowing endorsements others have already given this show, but let me just say, if I could give it 15 stars, I would. Even if you aren't a big fan of period pieces (which this is), it still sucks you in, compelling you to race through episode after episode, though reluctantly because you can't bear to see it all end. I became so emotionally invested in the characters, I was deeply disappointed to learn that virtually all of them were fictional.

I dare anyone to get through this show without laughing, crying, cheering and marveling. EVERYTHING about it is just that phenomenal; the script, the cast, the cinematography, the costumes, the soundtrack (a feature in and of itself), and especially the two main leads. Even when they're not talking, they are still communicating loud and clear. It is truly a masterpiece, and the ending, though more bitter than sweet, felt realistic.

For those who feel the story/emotions were lacking, I'm guessing cultural differences are to blame. Asian dramas in general are typically far more restrained and subtle than our western "instant gratification" programs. On top of that, a structural feature of Asian languages is sentence ambiguity (unlike English, for instance, which spells everything out). This ambiguity allows for richly layered word play, full of subtext and double meanings, which regrettably fail to translate. The scene where Eugene runs into Ae-Shin under the blossoming plum trees is a prime example. In short, if you try to skim through this show using the same viewing techniques that work for American shows, you will miss 75% of what is actually happening and being said.

Normally I would give a romance-type k-drama a separate kiss/chemistry rating, but aside from the fact that there were no actual kisses to rate, in the context of this story, it also doesn't seem right. So I'll skip it this time.

Lastly, huge props on the rifle vs sword duel end of episode 11. It was powerful, s3xy and artistic, and ranks among my favorite girl vs girl fight scenes of all time (I half hoped they would fight again so I could see more).

To say I recommend this show would be a gross understatement. Enjoy!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stunningly beautiful, deeply emotionally
juliemguevara23 March 2019
This is probably the best show I have ever watched.

From beginning to end the cinematography is stunning. Even simple scenes are gorgeously shot, capturing the landscape and the people of Joseon exquisitely.

The script and acting kept me enthralled in the storyline right from the beginning. The characters intertwine and relate so well that you are in suspense from the start. Many would say that this is simply a love story, but they would be wrong. Yes there is a love story entwined into the plot, and you could even say it is the driving force of the main story, but the motivation around the main characters are truly what drives this show home.

This show had be sobbing one moment and then with tears still clinging to my eyelashes laughing the next. The characters are incredible relatable and well developed that you almost forget that you're watching a show.

I want to encourage anyone who might be hesitant in watching this show due to it not being in English. It is, in my opinion, a work of art, that not only is entertaining to watch, but also completely and utterly emotionally grounded to humanity's compassion for each other.

Spectacular.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved some episodes, others not so much
hnubtshiab6 March 2019
There were some episodes that were just amazing. Others, though, really could have been combined into 1-2 episodes. Below are my thoughts on the episodes.

Episodes 1-3. These are important to watch because they layout the background and key characters for the show.

Episodes 4-7. These could have been consolidated into 1-2 episodes. If you want to save yourself a few hours, you can probably skip some of these episodes and not miss out on much.

Episodes 8-10. There was more action and Go Ae-Shin shined more. She is such a tough woman and yet for so many of the episodes she was made out to be simply a lovestruck woman who needed protection.

Episodes 11-17. These could have been consolidated into 2-3 episodes. I almost stopped watching at episode 14 because it was getting so slow and repetitive with the storyline. If you want to save yourself a few hours, you can probably skip some of these episodes and not miss out on much.

Episodes 18-24. Go Ae-Shin and the Righteous Army really shined throughout these episodes. Based on what was laid out in the early episodes, it seemed like the Righteous Army would be a key factor in the show but for many of the episodes they were either not mentioned at all or were a very small part. I liked that the Righteous Army played a larger role in the last few episodes. To me, it gave the show more meaning.

The good episodes mostly made up for the slow, repetitive episodes, hence the 8.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best came only at the end
janetwrongjw24 February 2019
Was bored and disappointed up to episode 18 (slow, long, and not much happening), and from there, the build up of all my emotions came back, which explained why i gave 7 stars instead of 4. A story with great potential, however was let down by the dragging storyline and not so impressive choice of lead actress Kim Tae-Ri . Loved the last few apisodes, but could have portraited better through out. Actors Lee Byung Hun and Yoo Yeon Seok did a great job in this one.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Virtually Unparalleled Series in the History of Television!
spasek22 February 2019
I have been watching movies and shows for over forty years. And, yes, this show is THAT good! After watching "Descendants of the Sun" only a couple of years ago, I was wondering how long it would be before another grand series came about; a series that resonates with the heart and soul; a series with a crisp story and fantastic performances by the actors. And along came "Mr. Sunshine."

I can only think of a couple of series that are on par with "Mr. Sunshine." "Band of Brothers" is one and "Descendants of the Sun" is another.

What is truly sad is that much of the world is quite ignorant when it comes to Korean history, I'm sure. It's a country that always seems to be at odds with Japan, and sometimes China and Russia as well. Its turbulent history has too often been plagued by invasions or other countries attempting to gain control of the small peninsula.

"Mr. Sunshine" tells of the time when Korea was, once again, fighting against Japanese occupation in the beginning of the 20th century. With virtually no real army to speak of and a king with little power on the throne, Korea or "Joseon" found itself relying on rebel guerilla tactics to try and prevent the Japanese from a complete takeover.

Several characters find themselves unknowingly intertwined with each other at the outset of the series. One boy finds himself quickly orphaned and making his way to America to begin a new life. He returns to Joseon years later as a U.S. Marine Captain. Little does he know how the turn of events would pull him into the conflict between his previous homeland and Japan.

The story's focal point is on three men who all happen to have feelings for the same woman, Go Ae-shin; a woman with a background as terrible and wrought with horror as the marine captain's. And yet, she is the heart and soul of the rebel forces. It is admirable and captivating to see this woman spearhead the rebellion, as well as her willingness to do whatever it takes to help her country. Tae-Ri Kim is perfectly cast, giving Ae-shin tremendous depth and complexity to her character.

The cast is simply magnificent from top to bottom. Every role, no matter how large or small, is handled with immaculate precision and depth. However, there is, to my mind, one who stands out just a hair above the rest. And that is Byung-Hun Lee as Eugene Choi, the marine captain. The man has a regal distinction that very few actors in history have been able to pull off with such ease. He may appear to be emotionless in many of his scenes, but to make such an assumption would be wholly inaccurate. I've said many times: an actor/actress who can say more with their eyes than with words, is a true master at their craft. Byung-Hun Lee is such a performer. I cannot imagine anyone else playing this part with the integrity and depth that he brings to Eugene Choi.

This is quite literally a "Do not miss!" series. With 24 episodes, each at about 75 minutes each, you are in for a wonderful treat. This is a show to savor. One might be wishing to quickly move on to the next episode, but I found myself stepping back and letting each episode soak within me instead. Like a perfect French dessert, you relish taking your time and savoring each bite. This is such a series.
Best TV Drama I Have Ever Seen
nrmg122 February 2019
I don't write reviews often, but I needed to after watching Mr. Sunshine. Even though I do not speak Korean, I was thoroughly enthralled with every episode. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Best show of 2018
kees-dehl17 February 2019
Mr. Sunshine is amazing. Beautiful love story in a stunning decor. Take your time and enjoy the iconic series.
Worthy of an Emmy Award
levodis-8550916 February 2019
Without a doubt, this is the best film (i.e., TV series) I have seen in the past five years. From a technical standpoint, it has everything; great story line & plot; directing, blocking, the acting was superb, cinematography techniques (...I was particularly impressed with the use of the camera angles including the use of the Dutch Tilt, slow-mo, top-down angles; movement through and across the frame, tracking shots and rack focusing); and the lighting; use of colors; variation in the music content; sound and visual effects. From an emotional point of view, I was continually surprised by the manner in which the audience is led into the use of symbolism as the story unfolds (great writing!). For five days, I was completely obsessed with the next episodes and the sequential development. On at least five different occasions, I was brought to tears and the finale left me exhausted emotionally. I spent the next two days, doing research on this film hoping to find something that would mention the film's success and developing my comments. Obviously, this was a big budget production and I sincerely hope that the producers and all those that had a vested interest consider this production an enormous success whether the economic return met their expectations or not. Congratulations and thank you. From an artistic perspective, this film is worthy of at least an Emmy Award - if not more. This film truly moved my heart.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unmissable
justsayleo16 February 2019
I cannot believe how incredibly rich this Korean Drama is. As others have said, the first episode seems confusing, but stick with it and it quickly falls into place. It's more profound than Shakespeare and all of the characters will become part of your heart as the show takes you through the heartbreaking and brutally cruel narrative of the Righteous Army, cultural hierarchy, friendship, love and war in Korea at the turn of the last century. The Exquisite cinematography is captivating and powerful. So too is the directing, acting, writing, costumes and music throughout the 24 episodes. You'll be fluent in Japanese and Korean by the end.
Absolutly amazing!
rubainvansteenbrugge14 February 2019
First of all, GO WATCH THIS! I stumbled upon this series on Netflix after watching 'Kingdom'. After ready the earlier reviews of, I was about to say basically the same thing. The story, the locations, the characters, cinematography,... all is perfect. There isn't a thing I found bad.

For a series that has 24 episodes and where each episode last about 1h15min, it never gets boring. It starts bit chaotic but it's definitely worth it to stick around. There is a good balance between the romance, the drama, the fighting and there are some really funny parts.

Whether you're a person that likes history/romance/drama/etc... You'll love it! The closer you come to the end, the sadder you'll get because it will eventually end. I can promise this, I will not be shameful if you drop a tear and the end. The 8,8/10 is definitely a correct score and maybe should get even more. I don't understand why this series hasn't got more international attention because it beats Hollywood on every level.
Beautifully Heart Break
swannyrp13 February 2019
Definitely one of the beat shows I have ever watched! The cinematography, photography, writers, costumes, production, location, casting.... I could go on and on about how great every detail was taken care of. And on top of it, without a doubt the tv show I have cried the most ever while watching. You invest yourself so much with every single character and story and it gets under your skin. This is my first IMDB review after pretty much spend every day slave to Netflix or before that every other tv show around and I wanted to start with a perfect 10, so if you are looking for something worth to watch in every way stop looking because you must binge this show right away!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
International should embrace this masterpiece
spaan-ferry10 February 2019
For a foreigner you have to do a bit of reading in Korean history to understand this series. But after one episode you are hooked on. The cinematography is stunning, the actors in beautiful clothes and the script is awesome. Linking back to previous scenes and qoutes, mixing with a few jokes, makes the series breathtaking. Hopefully the world will open up more for these type of k Drama.
ONE OF THE BEST
puterishahariman6 February 2019
Watched it with the lowest expectations but it definitely exceeded it amazingly. Historical dramas aren't usually my favourites but with the mix of western & Japanese influence, it made it a unique and worth-watching drama. The romance is pure and light & there are a few scenes that I find unnecessarily long but the way the characters grow through episodes really made it worth every second. The story in conclusion is intense, insanely heartbreaking and filled with patriotic moments that I think is beautiful. Not to forget the humor! It created some of the iconic moments and since the writer is the same with Goblin, it has amazing storyline that I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. I'm very picky with kdramas but this made it into my top 5 without doubt!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb historical drama & love story
hibbittsian5 February 2019
I was hooked after the first episode and am currently upto episode 9 !

Fabulous storyline worth the effort of reading the sub - titles
One of the best drama
rachaelmoey5 February 2019
It's been so long since great drama like this. Highly recommended. Beautiful setting, great plot and great and strong characters. Love them!